Identified! WA - Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #6 *name withheld*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, DNA Doe project is their best option. LE and NamUs really can't do anything as no one knows if her brother is actually missing.

To quote someone, select reply with quote in the bottom right section of the reply you want to quote.

attachment.php

I know exactly how you feel as I found out when I was 30 that I had an older 1/2 brother that was given up for adoption. I was going thru the drawer she had photos in, found a photo that looked like me but I knew wasn't me. I then found his baby bracelet and a small receipt, which looked like it came from a rent receipt book.

My mother was new to the country, found herself pregnant. She ended up signing her rights away with Catholic Charities before giving birth; but ended up changing her mind. She brought him home, had him Christened. Eventually Catholic Charities knocked on the door wanting my brother. Since she was an immigrant that didn't speak much English she did what she was told because they had her signature on a contract.

Back then (23 years ago) there weren't many places to register. I did ISSR (International Soundex Reunion Registry) which didn't do anything. Eventually I found the registry at adoption.com and the reunion registry; registered at all of them. The registry at adoption.com had a lot of changes, at one time my registration got messed up. Some how I was registered for the forums but nopt their database so I did it again. I was always looking for him using DOB, male and state, eventually I searched using DOB and male; up he popped! His mistake of filling out the state wrong cost us a few years. Let me know if you want any tips because I learned a lot. What state was your brother adopted in? Some states allow birth family to request records while others will allow you to put your name on their registry. It depends on the state.

DNA is your best option to try to find your brother. Birth family and adopted people are finding each other Check out the show Long Lost Family, that will give you an idea of what to do. When you get your results back from Ancestry, see my thread Has anyone done their DNA for genealogy which is also posted on City-data Family tree and DNA general instructions. I tell how to upload your results to My Heritage, GEDmatch and GEDmatch Genesis for free family matching and ethnicity and FTDNA (Family Tree DNA) for free family matching. DNA Doe Project is using GEDmatch and GEDmatch Genesis. Genesis is their newer site that accepts 23 and me's new chip as well as raw data from other, smaller sites. I have the list of sites in my threads.

Thanks for sharing your experiences as well as tips and insight roselvr :)

My mother was coerced into giving up her beautiful son too to Catholic community Services in the late1960's.

They claim not to know where his records are :(

adoption registries ( we registered over 20 years ago ) claim we haven't registered.

It has been harder than expected to find him and time ticks by :(

and yes, how to be taken seriously if one claims missing status with the initial adoption as the only reason in the minds eye of le..

i am so excited to submit DNA finally!!

My brother was adopted out in Utah roselvr, but my mother was told months after the adoption he may have been relocated to another state.

It sounds like you found him roselvr and that is very wonderful!!

Can't figure out how to quote your original quote about genizaros et tu croquet ( I didn't want to quote your bump/recent post I wanted to quote the one with links..., anyway...)

Slavery was common in all honesty :(:(

My mother was sold as a slave TWICE !! By her mother :(

This happened because she had her first child out of wedlock and that was VERY unacceptable and covered by whatever means were available in NM in the 1940's :(

My grandfather bought her back both times and hid her out of NM, giving her back when they relocated elsewhere.

This obviously has caused lifelong problems for my mother and her psyche :(

Given cultural tendency, It is easy to see how Lyle could slip through the cracks and remain unclaimed isn't it?

Ironically I too found myself in these circumstances at 19. My family tried to get me to give up my child too!!

Catholic marriage is a big deal in this culture !!

My bf and I ran away and said no way will we do this!!

I was so ANGRY at my family for all of this multigenerational pain that I refused to talk to the whole group for almost 30 years :(

I made peace in my own psyche this year and chose to open my heart to my extended family given the passage of many years.

I am glad I did this but it is a very intense space to be in if I'm honest..

I remain the ONLY family member willing to look for my brother. My partner and I have tried hard to find him

Taltos, your perseverance will eventually pay off. I found my six cousins after 40 years...not easy, and the results are always different than what we imagine but rewarding in its own way.

Forgive me if this question has already been asked, but how old would your brother be today?

This is the exact scenario for my family carbuff.

My great grandfather that strongly resembles Lyle was a sheep herder that migrated all over the western US with his flock in the 1930's.

His daughter that was my grandmother stayed in Utah to raise her family.

One of his other daughters stayed in Idaho

Some remain in northern NM

i am am not the only person with this background I'm sure but how uncanny in this case..
My grandfather might have known your great-grandfather [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

All these Lyle updates from DNA Doe have me so excited!

I remain the ONLY family member willing to look for my brother. My partner and I have tried hard to find him

This is unbelievably exciting!

Taltos- I believe you. I got tears in my eyes reading your posts, the same way I did with Jason Callahan (Grateful Doe).

Do you have pics of your family that you’re willing to share? I’m really intrigued!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry if this has been asked. Did someone contact you about this possible connection to Lyle?

I agree Magnum P. I., and leilarose, I discovered this to be true too.

I ordered a kit from ancestry DNA last night after talking to Margaret and Colleen yesterday. They are very helpful and prompt ladies!

I have not heard back from the detective assigned to Lyle's case yet, but my local le stated that their process takes time to collect my DNA via law enforcement, so I decided to simply order the kit to expedite the process :)

The Idaho connection and the Northern New Mexico connection were both stated previously leilarose.

All of the previous recent clues ( Genizaro, Northern New Mexico, Idaho, racial mix) prompted me to seriously consider a relationship to Lyle.

My maternal grandmother relocated from Northern New Mexico and raised her brood in another nearby state. Her ancestors lived in Northern New Mexico for centuries before that.

Her sister relocated to Idaho to raise her family. ( I too relocated to raise my own family). I had not seen these relatives since I was a teen but saw them again recently at my grandmothers funeral. One of those family members and I shared an interest in geneology. She has already submitted her DNA to ancestry DNA and worked on our pedigree for years I learned.

Putting all of the stated clues about Lyle against our family template and circumstances, combined with photographic similarities made me say wow!!

What if??

I missed the part about your aunt that's done DNA. Ask her to upload to GEDmatch, give her my family tree and DNA link at city-data where she can read without joining. She would have to be a member to see my thread here

Sorry my grandson has been sick, taking up a lot of my time. Yes we found my brother in 2004 on an adoption registry. It was nice to finally know what he looked like. He was given up in the same state I live in, wasn't that much older then us. I wondered if he was someone I had met or dated. Turns out he lived 10 miles from us, actually knew who I was from where I worked. He'd driven by and seen me. I know how freaked out you are after seeing the article about Lyles ethnicity

Can't figure out how to quote your original quote about genizaros et tu croquet ( I didn't want to quote your bump/recent post I wanted to quote the one with links..., anyway...)

Slavery was common in all honesty :(:(

My mother was sold as a slave TWICE !! By her mother :(

This happened because she had her first child out of wedlock and that was VERY unacceptable and covered by whatever means were available in NM in the 1940's :(

My grandfather bought her back both times and hid her out of NM, giving her back when they relocated elsewhere.

This obviously has caused lifelong problems for my mother and her psyche :(

Given cultural tendency, It is easy to see how Lyle could slip through the cracks and remain unclaimed isn't it?

Wow, taltos! Yes, this scenario makes it much easier to understand why and how a child would fall through the cracks. I’m so sorry, taltos. You deserve to know who your brother is. I hope and pray you find out soon.

This was just posted in Lyles FB group by outofthedark
LE will allow Lyles family to choose whether they share his name since no come was committed

https://youtu.be/KltGSYQRrDw

I think that is for the best because a) his manner of death and b) look what happened to the other DNA Doe Project's case when their family members came forward with an ID. As nice as it would be to get a name and maybe a picture of what dear Lyle looked like in life, we are not entitled to that.

DDP update

DDP was interviewed today for a segment on the Lyle Stevik case which aired on KRQE News 13 Albuquerque. The hope is that this will generate leads in the area where we believe Lyle’s family may have come from.

We have narrowed the geographic focus to a few specific counties, based on where ancestors of his closest matches have resided. This does NOT mean Lyle necessarily lived in any of these locations. But some of his grandparents may have. Even more likely that a few of his great-grandparents did.

The counties are:

• Rio Arriba Co, NM (a real hotspot for ancestral origins)
• Taos Co, NM
• Las Animas Co, Colorado
• Huerfano Co, Colorado
• Pueblo Co, Colorado
• San Juan Co, Utah
• Silver Bow Co, Montana
• Mesa Co, Colorado

Most of the families we found in these other states trace back to NM in the past, usually to Rio Arriba County

DDP update

DDP was interviewed today for a segment on the Lyle Stevik case which aired on KRQE News 13 Albuquerque. The hope is that this will generate leads in the area where we believe Lyle’s family may have come from.

We have narrowed the geographic focus to a few specific counties, based on where ancestors of his closest matches have resided. This does NOT mean Lyle necessarily lived in any of these locations. But some of his grandparents may have. Even more likely that a few of his great-grandparents did.

The counties are:

• Rio Arriba Co, NM (a real hotspot for ancestral origins)
• Taos Co, NM
• Las Animas Co, Colorado
• Huerfano Co, Colorado
• Pueblo Co, Colorado
• San Juan Co, Utah
• Silver Bow Co, Montana
• Mesa Co, Colorado

Most of the families we found in these other states trace back to NM in the past, usually to Rio Arriba County

My great grandparents were from Pueblo. Interesting list!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just looking at the Native American tribal maps for NM & CO his NA heritage may have been Apache rather cool ..
Tulessa may very well be interested in this ...... she is of NA heritage and from what I recall well connected with the NA communities.

New Mexico
nmexico.jpg
Colorado
colorado.jpg
Montana
montana.jpg
Utah
utah.jpg

So excited to see updates from DDP :happydance:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online