Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so happy she has been identified. I went back on this thread to see how long ago I showed interest in her case. It was 2008. I can't believe I have been searching for 10 years for her identity! Carl's recon was spot on. Sending prayers to her mother and her siblings and a big kudos to the ladies at DNA Doe Project! You are amazing!

Wish I could put this on a t-shirt. So over seeing people on Facebook and Reddit immediately jump to blaming the family. Thanks for sharing your cruel opinion on something you know nothing about...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Back in the 70's there was a popular saying "If you love someone, let them go". I'm not sure where it originated but Sting also sang a song about in the 80's... Anyway, my point is that was a popular sentiment back then. You should set someone free if they want to be free and they will come back to you if it's meant to be sort of thing. There was no 24/7 instant contact with family at all times, like the internet has brought us now. I don't blame the families one bit for hoping their loved ones were off having a good life-- some may have felt that if they tried to track their loved one down, and the person didn't want to be found, it would only push them away more. I think many who tried to report adults missing years ago also may have felt it was out of their hands once they had informed the police. I do wish there would be some kind of national campaign to encourage people to re-report if they reported someone missing years ago (or if they know an older relative reported it). But the family should not have to deal with attacks once someone is found deceased and they are already hurting from that revelation. Marcia's relatives that were being attacked on social media would have been children much younger than Marcia at the time she was murdered. They should not be held responsible for something they thought had been done decades ago. JMHO.

I think, too, that we are more sensitive to people being reported/not being reported because we are interested in these cases, where other's aren't.

I think that through Marcia’s case everyone could learn some more compassion. Especially due to circumstances involved with them being harassed.

I think, too, that we are more sensitive to people being reported/not being reported because we are interested in these cases, where other's aren't.

That's true too, Alleykins. Before I started posting here I had NO IDEA there were so many unidentified deceased. The average person probably does not know anything about these cases or about NAMUS. Or what they should do to report someone who they haven't seen in years missing.

Back in the 70's there was a popular saying "If you love someone, let them go". I'm not sure where it originated but Sting also sang a song about in the 80's... Anyway, my point is that was a popular sentiment back then. You should set someone free if they want to be free and they will come back to you if it's meant to be sort of thing. There was no 24/7 instant contact with family at all times, like the internet has brought us now. I don't blame the families one bit for hoping their loved ones were off having a good life-- some may have felt that if they tried to track their loved one down, and the person didn't want to be found, it would only push them away more. I think many who tried to report adults missing years ago also may have felt it was out of their hands once they had informed the police. I do wish there would be some kind of national campaign to encourage people to re-report if they reported someone missing years ago (or if they know an older relative reported it). But the family should not have to deal with attacks once someone is found deceased and they are already hurting from that revelation. Marcia's relatives that were being attacked on social media would have been children much younger than Marcia at the time she was murdered. They should not be held responsible for something they thought had been done decades ago. JMHO.

Totally agree with this 100%. And I would love to see just one super bowl commercial, urging people to look for that long lost aunt/uncle/cousin/sibling they haven’t seen or heard from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree with this 100%. And I would love to see just one super bowl commercial, urging people to look for that long lost aunt/uncle/cousin/sibling they haven’t seen or heard from.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there needs to be more PR, apart from social media, especially for NamUs where it is a free tool.

I seem to recall from a few pages back that Marcia's family said she was quite alternative. I was wondering whether WWOOF had spread to the USA by the late 1970s (it started in the UK in 1971) and whether she might have been a volunteer for keep and board on an organic farm. It's worth mentioning that as well as agricultural-type work, many WWOOF places also include working with livestock.

WWOOFers tend to migrate from one place to another following the work and harvests, so it's possible she could have teamed up with another person to travel between jobs.
I am not familiar with WWOF. There were a certain number of agricultural hippie communes around then. Almost have since dis-banded. Though a few communes were stable, many de-vovled into heavy drug use, members with severe allergies to work, and a certain amount of violence.

That aside, one that has survived and prospered is The Farm, in Tennessee. Very early on, they kept drug usage to a tolerated minimum and emphasized the “work” aspect of farm life. The Farm is famous on the hippie commune circuit and accepts temporary members.

Going back to Marcia….

She might of passed through The Farm due to its status, known stability and her interest in alternative things. Some members of The Farm have been there their entire lives and could well remember whether or not she resided there and if so, when. Perhaps they can be contacted- preferably by a member who “speaks their language” and knows their sub culture?
http://www.thefarm.org

If the article says "Pittsburgh and Louisville KY" that wording suggests both in KY. Doesn't say Pittsburg PA. and Louisville KY.
My brother lived in Pittsburgh PA for a time. I live in Dayton Oh area. We always took I 75 to I -70 straight to Pittsburgh PA. From Louisville or Cincinnati you likely would take I-71 to 70 as 71 takes you farther east and cuts off a few miles. Unless you have a specific reason to pass thru Dayton to I 70. She was found just off I75 a little north of I 75 / I 70 interchange which is a major crossroads in the US highway system. Lots of the big truck stops there too. Another possibility is she was dropped there and picked up a new ride. But reports of her seen in Troy at a bar. Wonder if LE thinks it was her or they can't be sure.

In the presser they said PA. I just watched it again this morning

I think that through Marcia’s case everyone could learn some more compassion. Especially due to circumstances involved with them being harassed.

Thank you, rats. I agree. What happened to Marcia's family should be used as an example of how not to treat family of future identified Does.

LE specifically stated their looking at the last month ... March - April 1981

March - April 1981
*Louisville, Kentucky
*Pittsburg, Pennslyvania

According to her isotopes the year prior to hear death showed she had been ...

April 1980 - April 1981
* Ft Worth, Texax to Southern Oklahoma

Isotope testing showed she had spent a total of around four months in areas such as Fort Worth, Texas and southern Oklahoma, spending two months there on two separate occasions

*We do know family had stated that she was last seen in 1980 in a state close by however not entirely close to meet the isotopes would assume that it was a short visit and was just passing through. It has been stated she was from Arkansas however it was not made clear the last time she was seen in Arkansas assume she just grew up there but once of age moved on.

What brought Marcia into Oklahoma/Texas and stay for a decent amount of time ..

There was also the statement of Texas to North Mexico

All thou LE is specifically looking at the last month .... just a feeling all the other states could be links into that last month.

I'm not really clear on this: would Arkansas fit for the Texas/Oklahoma isotopes? It's right next to them, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm not really clear on this: would Arkansas fit for the Texas/Oklahoma isotopes? It's right next to them, but I'm not 100% sure.

Agreed .... Rather puzzled by it ... would it exactly fit it maybe and maybe not ... I say that loosely. Interesting part is that a specific city was stated ... Ft Worth ..

Will say this .. All this is very eye opening not only with Marcia's case but with many other JD cases. In the aspect of how accurate isotopes results fit into a geographical area and where the JD had actually resided or merely passed through.

So happy this beautiful young woman has her name back. I had almost given up on her ever being identified. Carl did a great drawing, and hats off to everyone that put in time researching this case- it finally paid off.

Hoping with the news about the case splashed everywhere, the killer/s will get rattled and do something suspicious, or will brag about how he took the life of such a lovely young woman.
https://www.insideedition.com/cold-case-murder-victim-identified-after-37-years-42390
April 12 2018
Her name was Marcia L. King, but she was known only as "Buckskin Girl" — or simply Jane Doe — for 37 years.

King was found dead in Ohio in 1981 wearing jeans and a jacket that lent her the moniker that would stick for more than three decades.

It wasn't until just days ago — thanks to new DNA and genealogy technologies — that investigators learned her name.

“Law enforcement never forgets," Sheriff Dave Duchak said during the announcement.

Investigators in 1981 determined the victim had suffered blunt force trauma and been strangled before her killer ditched the woman's lifeless body in Miami County on a grisly April day.
The DNA Doe Project relies on genetic genealogy tools similar to those used by genealogists for analyzing DNA results normally provided by direct-to-consumer testing companies like 23andMe.

Now that Marcia has been identified, police say they are a huge step closer to identifying the killer responsible for her untimely death. In the meantime, her family has asked for privacy in the wake of the news.

Crowbar would imply vehicle, right?

Still wondering about the circumstance of the lacerated liver.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

A crowbar is not the same as a tire iron. A crowbar is also called a pry bar or wrecking bar. It is a very useful tool to have in a nice basic array of tools. It is great for remodeling and construction work as in ripping off drywall and prying things loose in framing for example. Handy for so many things. Perhaps the term was used loosely as that type of instrument. I think tire irons and jack handles though more rounded in shape might inflict similar injury but an actual crowbar/prybar is flat, heavy, long, rectangular. If assuming it was a prybar; somebody who carries around tools like that in a vehicle most likely needs it in their line of work. Could still be trucker or some kind of tradesman. Most home handyman types would be likely to have one but not carry it everywhere. Or she was killed somewhere where one was readily available if it wasn't in a vehicle.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bucksk...g-dna-tech-leads-to-id-of-1981-murder-victim/
[h=1]"Buckskin Girl" case: DNA breakthrough leads to ID of 1981 murder victim[/h]
marcia-2.jpg
A facial reconstruction of "Buckskin Girl," left, and a photograph of Marcia King

NCMEC/Miami Sheriff

Then last year, Murray said she met the founders of the DNA Doe project at a conference and began working with them.

"I said, I have the cases, if you have the technology," Murray said.
"Buckskin Girl" was one of those cases. Murray said a private lab was able to develop a DNA profile of the victim using a vial of the victim's blood taken after her murder. That profile was handed off to the DNA Doe project, which was able to use it to identify a relative of the victim via a public genealogy database, with tools similar to those used by for-profit genealogy companies.

The relative gave a sample of their DNA to the Miami Valley Regional crime lab, which confirmed the match.
Lord appealed to anyone who may have information to come forward. He said police believe King was in Louisville and Pittsburgh in March 1981, the month before her murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member