KY KY - Perry Stokes, 20, Elkton, 24 Aug 1982

Don't want to step on any toes, is someone gong to submit this or shall I? I really think this is a match!

I thought bluenoser was going to submit. BethAnn777 it would not hurt if two people submitted. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Don't want to step on any toes, is someone gong to submit this or shall I? I really think this is a match!
You should submit! The only toes in danger of being stepped upon are Houston Mom's, as she found the match. And she posted encouraging you to submit. :)
Pleaser let us know if you do. I don't see a confirmation from bluenoser. I can submit if no one else does (I've never done it before, but there is a first time for everything).

I have submitted, but haven't heard anything in response yet. Sorry to not let you guys know. All I did was email..I've never done this before so either, so hopefully my email gets reviewed.

I have submitted, but haven't heard anything in response yet. Sorry to not let you guys know. All I did was email..I've never done this before so either, so hopefully my email gets reviewed.
Good job and thanks!!!

Good! Hope we hear back soon. Great job!

Good find. This could be Buck.
But seriously, what is going on with the composite drawing? No human looks like that. Which makes it even more amazing that you slowed down and noticed the similarities, HoustonMom.
Did you submit the possibility?
Do you know Buck's father mselizabethb? Was Buck into Harleys and the biker lifestyle?

Sorry to be getting back so late. I did not know his father personally, but I do know he has passed on. I am not aware of any remaining family searching for him. I submitted him HoustonMom's match on May 18th, but haven't received a reply. I have also emailed the detective on the case to see if any information can be relesased since it is a cold case, but I have also not received a reply. That was in early April.
Elkton was near towns that still had small supremacist groups, but also seemed not the "biker" type (at the time of disappearance).
If the belt buckle was indeed Perry's, it should have had his SS# engraved on the back, which makes me believe it was either a different buckle or the number couldn't be read.
The friends were the one's who claimed he "ran off to FL", yet they were the ones in possession of his belongings. Gut feeling tells me he never made it out of KY and that his friends have info to hide, but there's no evidence supporting that except the lack of support from his friends to Perry's father.

Bumping for Perry again. It's been over 33 years since Perry Stokes was last seen.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4402dmky.html

Circumstances of Disappearance
On the afternoon of August 24, 1982 it was believed that Perry went squirrel hunting with a friend.

Afterward they went to the friends house. He advised his dad that he would be home shortly.
Close friends believe that he may have been en route to either Nashville or Florida.

I came across the same john doe today and saw the similarities and found that you guys saw them also has this been submitted.. it says on the doe network that Perry was headed to Florida

I knew Juerrell(that's what he went by. I never heard anyone call him "Buck"). I last saw him a few months before he went missing. Just right after his mother Peggy suddenly died. I haven't lived in Kentucky since a bit after then. I knew he was missing but I never thought it would be this long. A lot bothers me about all of this. He wasn't the biker type although if you asked what motorcycle he liked he would say Harley Davidson as we had had that conversation because we differed in opinion as I liked the Japanese Bikes. It was a moot point though as neither of us had a bike or anyway to get one at the time. He also was not a white supremist. In my opinion the "White Brass" on the back of his belt buckle was most likely a manufactures stamp. what I would like to know is: 1. who was the neighbor his knife was found in the couch at, and was the stains on it tested? 2. Who's car was his billfold found in and how did it get there. 3 why would he walk home in a lightning storm? why not wait it out? I agree with mselizabethb that he didn't make it out of KY. In fact I will go one further I don't believe he made it off Stringtown road. I saw his dad Doug about late November or early December 1982 in Hopkinsville and he told me Juerrell was missing but I never thought much of it until I was home on leave from the USAF in June of 1985 and I saw Doug again and he told me Juerrell was still missing. I hope all these people which his belongings turned up at was questioned back then. Also I hope this Jr Toner was questioned. I didn't know him so I don't know what kind of person he was. Who were the people who said he may have took off to Nashville or Florida, and why would they think that and if he did how did he get there and why would he leave his billfold? He should have 2 living younger brothers and a sister so DNA samples should be available. If what information they have is what I've found online it wasnt Investigated very well and dosnt sound like anyone much cared after his Dad Doug died.

It doesn’t make sense to me has the last known place he was seen never searched? I agree that all those items are lose ends. This is a pretty small community and was even more so back then. If all these possibilities were never exhausted and no Significant effort spent on finding him than why?

I knew Juerrell(that's what he went by. I never heard anyone call him "Buck"). I last saw him a few months before he went missing. Just right after his mother Peggy suddenly died. I haven't lived in Kentucky since a bit after then. I knew he was missing but I never thought it would be this long. A lot bothers me about all of this. He wasn't the biker type although if you asked what motorcycle he liked he would say Harley Davidson as we had had that conversation because we differed in opinion as I liked the Japanese Bikes. It was a moot point though as neither of us had a bike or anyway to get one at the time. He also was not a white supremist. In my opinion the "White Brass" on the back of his belt buckle was most likely a manufactures stamp. what I would like to know is: 1. who was the neighbor his knife was found in the couch at, and was the stains on it tested? 2. Who's car was his billfold found in and how did it get there. 3 why would he walk home in a lightning storm? why not wait it out? I agree with mselizabethb that he didn't make it out of KY. In fact I will go one further I don't believe he made it off Stringtown road. I saw his dad Doug about late November or early December 1982 in Hopkinsville and he told me Juerrell was missing but I never thought much of it until I was home on leave from the USAF in June of 1985 and I saw Doug again and he told me Juerrell was still missing. I hope all these people which his belongings turned up at was questioned back then. Also I hope this Jr Toner was questioned. I didn't know him so I don't know what kind of person he was. Who were the people who said he may have took off to Nashville or Florida, and why would they think that and if he did how did he get there and why would he leave his billfold? He should have 2 living younger brothers and a sister so DNA samples should be available. If what information they have is what I've found online it wasnt Investigated very well and dosnt sound like anyone much cared after his Dad Doug died.
Thank you for posting! I find it very typical of missing men, especially during this time, to not be investigated well. And like you said, after his father passed there has not been an ounce of new information or interest for the police to reopen the case. I’m sure we are also reaching a point where some potential witnesses or people involved are dying...makes progress even harder.

I wonder if consent could be given for volunteers to thoroughly search the area. I believe it was reported that the trailer he was walking home from was only 3/4th of a mile from his home. If anyone knew him and could answer the normal path he would take I’m sure something would turn up. The reports of jewelry and such could turn up clues especially if a struggle took place. Maybe he had a usual shortcut through the woods and in a bad storm no telling what could have happened.

Can anyone tell me what word is before the phrase “ of killing my son?”

Attachments

• 87DE7EB7-DB0A-4173-B1BA-83FA65488CB3.jpeg
    87DE7EB7-DB0A-4173-B1BA-83FA65488CB3.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I sat down and rewrote the letter Mr. Stokes wrote to try and understand a bit better where is coming from as it’s somewhat difficult to read in parts. The more I read the more I believe Mr. Stokes was honest but panicked. I can see how him throwing out multiple possibilities as being trying to push attention from himself but I don’t think concerned parents think that way. Lots of rumors have swirled for years, but the more I learn I think it becomes obvious what is the likeliest situation to have played out.

I hope the family finds closure when all is said and done they find justice. This isn’t meant to be insensitive but just my opinion.

Gold was around 400 dollars an ounce in 1982. This doesn’t sound like much by today’s standards but the dollar had more purchasing power at that time and if you are around 19 or 20 years old it Probably seems like it could worth a risk. If Juerrell had several ounces of gold at a “ friend’s” home that already had a record of burglary for items that were probably less value it makes sense that he might take a bigger risk for more valuable items. I think this was quite easily a burglary that went wrong. I think it would be natural for some parents to reinforce the alibi of their child if they thought it might cost them their entire future.

between the threats from drug dealers and claims of organized crime I think the motive may have been overlooked by law enforcement.

but why? Who were these investigators? Did they have any relation to the “friend’s” family or some connection that led to neglect of looking deeper into the case?

I’m not trying start a conspiracy theory but I’m trying to consider all things possible.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back