CA - Hannah,16,Devonte,15,&Ciera Hart,12 (fnd deceased),Mendocino Cty,26 Mar 2018 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quited from kizzykat in previous thread regarding the Dr. Oz show with the neighbors:

What the actual &!?@ ???

I've been trying to give these folks the benefit of the doubt, saying it must have been hard for them, they weren't prepared to handle a situation like this...

but if you legit think a Turpin type situation is going on with the kids next door and you still don't call authorities, I don't even know how to begin to make an excuse for that. That was infuriating to hear.

I watched the episode but now it's fuzzy - Wasn't the realization what prompted them to call? Or did they see the Turpin story after they'd called and the Harts had disappeared?

I see a lot of non-black people who adopt black kids reject this. it's terrible to me on several different levels. a black person's hair is different and you should attempt to care for the child's hair instead of pretending a difference doesn't exist.

my 2 (bio) daughters have black hair, my sister-in-law helped me learn how to care for it while they were growing up, since their dad had no idea and my hair is straight up Barbie hair.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

my 2 (bio) daughters have black hair, my sister-in-law helped me learn how to care for it while they were growing up, since their dad had no idea and my hair is straight up Barbie hair.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Crazy how the dad had no idea but that's just the way it is with black men, it seems.

http://www.koin.com/news/crashes/jennifer-hart-friend-im-more-confused-than-before/1129169442

This is a new article about a Hart family friend who was mentioned earlier in one of the posts that was removed because it was based on social media.

[FONT=&amp]From the article:

The image Bakhtiar paints, however, is one of contradictions. On one hand, she said Jennifer told her that the children would never be able to live normal, independent lives as adults – that they would never be able to marry or have children of their own.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]On the other hand, Bakhtiar says the children she knew were smart and politically engaged and they were always dancing to music. She said they loved to read, and they were healthy, strong and physically active. She said they seemed younger than their years, but not immature.

Several posts have mentioned that the children were not being taught independent living skills. It sounds like Jen and Sarah had very low expectations for them or they wanted a family that would never leave them.

[/FONT]

You can’t be martyrs if the children you have sacrificed so much for turn out to have successful, independent lives.

At the beginning there was a lot of talk of them being “white saviors” but it seems more like they were trying to be martyrs to me now that we know more.

It wasn’t about “look what a great life we’ve given these poor black crack babies” but rather “look how much we’ve done for these poor black crack babies, and it won’t ever end since they’ll never be able to live on their own.”

You can’t be martyrs if the children you have sacrificed so much for turn out to have successful, independent lives.

At the beginning there was a lot of talk of them being “white saviors” but it seems more like they were trying to be martyrs to me now that we know more.

It wasn’t about “look what a great life we’ve given these poor black crack babies” but rather “look how much we’ve done for these poor black crack babies, and it won’t ever end since they’ll never be able to live on their own.”

I agree. I think that they may have even done the same regardless of race. To me, the life they were projecting was one of "look how awesome we are to these unfortunate souls...and even though they'll never be independent of us because of all their problems-sob sob-we rest better knowing that we're doing the RIGHT THING." Humblebragging is a BIG thing on social media. It's like, I'm going to post a picture of this awesome thing that I did while subtly talking about how difficult it was for me to do for reasons beyond my control (someone else getting in the way, health, etc.) so that you can then tell me how awesome I am and admire me for overcoming adversary. Lots of people seek attention and, for some, the best kind is when people laud them for being near saints. ("I've got 109 degree fever and vomited up my spleen earlier but look at this picture of me, delivering food to people on the poor side of town at lunch!" #dotherightthing #cantkeepmedown #soblessed #grateful) I see it all the time. I'd buy that with them.

IIRC , she offered to to teach the “ moms” how to take care of the hair? I forget.

IIRC, it was more than that. She told them she was adopted by white parents, and wanted to help the kids , with what she learned from the experience. I think that would be important for the kids to be able to talk with someone about that, and their feelings/experiences.

JMO

("I've got 109 degree fever and vomited up my spleen earlier but look at this picture of me, delivering food to people on the poor side of town at lunch!" #dotherightthing #cantkeepmedown #soblessed #grateful) I see it all the time. I'd buy that with them.

Too funny-- vomiting up a spleen! Jen and Sarah probably would fall into that category.

That's what I remember, but there must have been more if mentoring was involved? Anyway, it's obvious those women didn't care about Abigail's, Sierra's, or Hannah's hair so there was no reason to be interested in what the woman was offering.

Is there a reference to mentoring? I do not remember that part.

I was referring to this comment:

I can't answer that. I'm not them and I wasn't there when the opportunities arose. I'm just taking that woman's words with a grain of salt. I'm a parent. I have approached others and asked if they could teach my kids something. I'd possibly be interested in them getting a mentor when they were older. However, if someone approached me and offered to mentor my kids, I'd think it was strange and I'd probably just say no right off the bat.

Friend of Harts says parents tried to isolate children
http://komonews.com/news/local/friend-of-harts-says-jennifer-sarah-hart-tried-to-isolate-children

Washington said she felt an immediate connection to the six children because she was adopted. She said she shared the same hometown of Dallas that three of the children were from.

"I told Jen, 'I wanted to be a part of their life. Forever,'" she said.

She said she wanted to be close with the kids and could be like a mentor for them.

I really don't understand this: Why would the children "never be able to live normal independent lives as adults -they would never be able to marry or have children of their own"? There are many, many children who suffer abuse and, especially after being adopted into loving families, who are able to do those things. Some do not, some do. From what I can see, the children all looked pretty smart -they could read, seemed absolutely adorable. None of these children would be able to do any of those things???????

It sort of seems like JH projecting herself onto the children: Can't "have" children; unable to live a normal life! I'd bet some of those children were more "normal" than her.

I don't know what you mean by she was unable to have kids and was
unable to live a normal life. Why? Who said she couldn't have biological kids? And why couldn't she live a normal life? Because she's a lesbian?

If its because she's insane that I could understand.

But I think it's clear the kids weren't disabled the way she and Sarah tried to pretend they were. That sounds like a Mucnhausen type person. Goes along with her claims of relentless persecution and harassment. All this stuff was b.s. IMO. They portrayed themselves as heroes who endured so much to rescue and protect the kids they were exploiting. Fits their narcissistic image.

I don't know what you mean by she was unable to have kids and was
unable to live a normal life. Why? Who Satan she couldn't have biological kids? And why couldn't she live a normal life? Because she's a lesbian?

If its because she's insane that I could understand.

But I think it's clear the kids weren't disabled the way she and Sarah tried to pretend they were. That sounds like a Mucnhausen type person. Goes along with her claims of relentless persecution and harassment. All this stuff was b.s. IMO. They portrayed themselves as heroes who endured so much to rescue and protect the kids they were exploiting. Fits their narcissistic image.

I've been reminded of Munchhausen by Proxy a lot during this story. Many MBP parents also keep their kids isolated. They're controlling narcissists whose worlds revolve around a) controlling the child and b) gaining sympathy and admiration from the world by projecting a certain image.

I've been reminded of Munchhausen by Proxy a lot during this story. Many MBP parents also keep their kids isolated. They're controlling narcissists whose worlds revolve around a) controlling the child and b) gaining sympathy and admiration from the world by projecting a certain image.

Oh my gosh I don't know how "said" turned into Satan or why my autocorrect automatically typed out "Satan" when I started writing "sa...". What the heck am I typing on my phone!! :laughcry:

I wonder what the story is when Devonte told the neighbors that they were keeping the kids hidden. What in the heck is that?

Oh my gosh I don't know how "said" turned into Satan or why my autocorrect automatically typed out "Satan" when I started writing "sa...". What the heck am I typing on my phone!! :laughcry:

I knew that it was probably autocorrect, but I thought that was pretty awesome anyway. :)

Language barrier here. When you guys say "spanking", it means a slap on the butt, right?

I think most people in our country become very defensive about spanking because it's common in our culture and let's face it, most of our parents did it and most of us have swatted our child, even those of us who really don't believe in it. And no one wants to think they are bad parents or that their parents were bad parents.

I don't think people who have used spanking are necessarily bad parents. Just humans. And doing what was taught. But I do think it can be compared to using physical disclpine on an adult.

Because hitting to achieve good behavior or compliance or obedience or to punish is still hitting (and oh my gosh yes spanking IS hitting) and the person being hit is still human whether spouse or child. The main difference is the child is much smaller, much more vulnerable and much more easily destroyed emotionally by the betrayal of the person they love and trust the most striking them.

Yes many many people got spanked and "turned out fine." But countless others were utterly destroyed by that form of discipline. Our prisons are full to the brim of people who got whipped, paddled, spanked, whatever. Millions of Americans suffer from depression, anxiety, sexual problems, eating disorders, OCD, bi polar, personality disorders, etc., that can be attributed in part to being struck as children according to countless studies.

And that includes just "regular spanking".

And the excuse, "Oh I smack them on the diaper once. It doesn't hurt" is also nonsense IMO. Then why do it? Wouldn't a "Hey! Stop that!" acheive the same result?

You never know what child is going to turn out incredibly negatively affected by being struck. And you never know which parents are going to take it across that line into full fledged abuse. Physical discipline of any kind is an easy segue into brutality for not only those who should never have had kids but also those who are otherwise good parents but who are having a mental health issue or facing extreme crisis or just having a super frustrating moment.

A culture that encourages or accepts the physical discipline of little children as normal or necessary enables abuse because it can be a normalized path into something horrific. Just like here. These mothers "resorted to spanking." That then became "I lost control, bent my kid over a bathtub, shoved her head under water and brutally beat her causing bruises from stem to stern."

And then belt whippings. And starving. And ultimate death.

A society that believes children can be taught respect, obedience, manners and be disciplined without resorting to physical measures is one that makes that option less of an easy "go to" for so many who don't cope well with parenthood.

That's my two cents. I respect that others disagree.

Thanks, I agree with you though. I don’t believe in spanking, and my parents never laid a hand on me.

Quoted from kizzykat in previous thread regarding the Dr. Oz show with the neighbors:

What the actual &!?@ ???

I've been trying to give these folks the benefit of the doubt, saying it must have been hard for them, they weren't prepared to handle a situation like this...

but if you legit think a Turpin type situation is going on with the kids next door and you still don't call authorities, I don't even know how to begin to make an excuse for that. That was infuriating to hear.

Just catching up so I don't know if the link has been posted yet, but you can watch the Dr Oz story online now. It's broken down into 10 segments. You might have to click on the next video segment (just below the main video) if they don't automatically load and play:
https://www.doctoroz.com/episode/tr...-kids-cliff-neighbors-who-tried-save-children

Crazy how the dad had no idea but that's just the way it is with black men, it seems.

I find this an unfair comment ... most men do not know how to care for a daughter’s hair. Race has nothing to do with it. Please, let’s be careful with generalizing comments.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member