Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting similarities, carbuff. In the same line of thinking, I noticed today that Sheridan Jane Doe was also found without shoes on and COD blunt force trauma to the head: https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...WhtFem-390UFWY-16-21-dumped-along-I-90-Apr-92

I know Wyoming is really far from Iowa and Ohio but if the perp was a trucker or a serial killer who traveled across the country picking up women (like Terry Rasmussen) it's possible these cases are all connected.

Also of note, Carlene Brown and her friend went missing in WY in 1974. Her friend's remains were found later, COD was blunt force trauma. No info as to what items, if any, were found with her.

Carlene's thread: https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?98727-WY-Carlene-Brown-19-Rawlins-4-July-1974

Yeah, possibly. Not enough information on any of them to say for sure. I'm sure LE has a lot more information than we do about similar crimes and whether a serial killer might be involved.

Some people have said that doesn't look big for a girl her size...but to me it definitely does. I don't think it was hers...I think it belonged to however she was with...maybe
her killer?

Do you think the jacket is home made, or factory made?

I don't see a tag in the collar. One poster mentions that sometimes rustic leather type clothes were stamped with the brand, not tagged. So, the stamp could not be visible in the photo. Even still, the two different leathers in the chest and bordering area might indicate a home made touch? Then again, as you mentioned, trying to do something like this at home is difficult. But.... hippies could have a lot of spare time and some where interested in craft skills.

I don't see a purple lining they say is in it. To see if it was handmade or machine/ factory sewn I would need to see inside seams. It looks nicely made however it was put together. Besides local small artisan shops of the day there were many of those type garments made in Mexico.
I think the detectives talking to family must have some idea if she was known to have one and a guess as to when she acquired it based on last time family was in touch with her--or if family knew whether she had the tunic or not.

Besides local small artisan shops of the day there were many of those type garments made in Mexico.

Thanks for the information and good point on Mexico being a source of rustic look clothing in the 1970s and early 1980s.

I don't see a purple lining they say is in it. To see if it was handmade or machine/ factory sewn I would need to see inside seams. It looks nicely made however it was put together. Besides local small artisan shops of the day there were many of those type garments made in Mexico.
I think the detectives talking to family must have some idea if she was known to have one and a guess as to when she acquired it based on last time family was in touch with her--or if family knew whether she had the tunic or not.
Agree. It seems like a unisex piece of clothing to me. I believe it is real buckskin and another poster found almost an identical jacket selling online for $800+... Granted that is now, but I guess my point is it seems like a cherished piece of quality clothing, perhaps scavanged at a thrift shop. I have an Icelandic wool sweater that is too big on me but I still wear it because it's a special piece of clothing that's really high quality.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the information and good point on Mexico being a source of rustic look clothing in the 1970s and early 1980s.

A lot of leather goods that were trendy in that time period were made in Mexico. Maybe she even traveled there herself and got it there. No passport required then. Could be how the pollen test results showed SW United States or northern Mexico. Or maybe the jacket showed that pollen because it was made there.

A lot of leather goods that were trendy in that time period were made in Mexico. Maybe she even traveled there herself and got it there. No passport required then. Could be how the pollen test results showed SW United States or northern Mexico. Or maybe the jacket showed that pollen because it was made there.

Bolded by me. Excellent point.

Wow, y'all. I've been following along on my phone which I can't type on. Y'all know this has been one of the cases I followed religiously, I'm just so happy to see Marcia finally identified. I've been praying for her family since I first heard the news.

I think Marcia's investigators deserve some major kudos here. They kept this case alive, and their willingness to share and communicate with the public, and to try new things had a lot to do with this outcome. Had Marcia's murder occurred in many (and maybe even most) other jurisdictions in 1981, it might have been a completely forgotten case, not entered into Namus, evidence long ago lost, etc. They really are heroes for all their efforts.

And thanks to every one of you who spent the same countless hours I did poring over every little detail, thinking through theories, etc. I always hope that even if it isn't a Match for WS purposes, in some small way it helps the families to know that there are people out there who tried to help, who recognized that their loved one mattered, who wouldn't let it be forgotten that some family was still missing their child.

Wow, y'all. I've been following along on my phone which I can't type on. Y'all know this has been one of the cases I followed religiously, I'm just so happy to see Marcia finally identified. I've been praying for her family since I first heard the news.

I think Marcia's investigators deserve some major kudos here. They kept this case alive, and their willingness to share and communicate with the public, and to try new things had a lot to do with this outcome. Had Marcia's murder occurred in many (and maybe even most) other jurisdictions in 1981, it might have been a completely forgotten case, not entered into Namus, evidence long ago lost, etc. They really are heroes for all their efforts.

And thanks to every one of you who spent the same countless hours I did poring over every little detail, thinking through theories, etc. I always hope that even if it isn't a Match for WS purposes, in some small way it helps the families to know that there are people out there who tried to help, who recognized that their loved one mattered, who wouldn't let it be forgotten that some family was still missing their child.

Welcome back to the discussion Irish Eyes!!

Just wanted to add were upon the anniversary of her passing. In loving memory!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yes we are, rest in peace sweet Marcia :rose:

Interesting, I just searched his page to see if he had posted others that I missed. Here was one Jane Doe I missed in 2011, a missing Piqua girl from 1981, remains found in Florida
4672721c71a998fe587137fc95713196.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lovely post Irish Eyes!

I have been catching up on reading all of the posts during the past month on this thread.

It was thirty seven years ago today on April 24, 1981 that the body of an unidentified young woman was found on Greenlee Road in rural Miami County, Ohio.

Even though it took thirty seven long years, I’m so glad that Buckskin Girl has finally been identified and that she has got her name back.

We now know that Buckskin Girl was Marcia King.

It is my belief that with new improvements in DNA technology, more missing and unidentified victims will become identified in the future.

And it is my hope that whoever is responsible for the murder of Marcia King is brought to justice.

Kudos to all of the LE investigators whose dedication and determination over the years that led to the victim’s identification.

And kudos to CarlK for the composite drawings that closely resembled the victim, to Springrain for creating and maintaining a Facebook page for the victim, and to everyone on Websleuths for trying to help and for letting families know that all missing and unidentified persons are not forgotten.

Thank you, nerosleuth!

I put up an anniversary post today. I can't believe it's been 37 years. I'm so glad her family has found her and she is finally home. Today's the first anniversary of her discovery in which her family is aware of what happened to her, so I am sure it is a very difficult day for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288