Canada - Numerous pedestrians struck by van near Yonge and Finch, Toronto, Apr 2018 *guilty*

http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/multiple-pedestrians-struck-by-van-on-yonge-st
“I hope he burns in hell, whoever did this; I hope this sick person gets dealt with accordingly,” said Ali Shaker, who was driving behind the van and said it was a horror show with the vehicle running down person after person.

“He was going 60-70 kilometres (per hour) on the sidewalk,” he added.

The man arrested by police appeared to point something at officers before being taken into custody. However, Police Chief Mark Saunders said Monday night that the arrested man did not have a gun.

Nor do investigators believe that politically- or religiously-fuelled terrorism was the motive for the carnage.
rbbm

I was also impressed with how the officer had the presence of mind to walk to that cruiser (his, I suppose) and turn off that loud siren. I'm sure it allowed him to better communicate with the suspect.

Toronto van attack: The cop who didn’t shoot

[...]

It is easy to take a life. A quick turn of the steering wheel and nine people are gone. A small amount of pressure on the trigger, and the suspect is dead. We kill each other out of hate, or fear, or ignorance, or duty. Sadly, we understand this instinct well. This is the dark side of humanity. And rightly, we are mesmerized by the horror of it.

But there is light inside us too. We also possess the instinct to keep each other alive. This part of us can be more difficult to understand. But it deserves our devotion much more than the act of killing does. These moments of humanity are not uncommon, but they are precious. It would be good if we could remember that about Toronto, remember the cop who didn’t shoot.

[...]

I was also impressed with how the officer had the presence of mind to walk to that cruiser (his, I suppose) and turn off that loud siren. I'm sure it allowed him to better communicate with the suspect.

Absolutely. And he was really close to the suspect at that point. Very close. With all the unknowns at the time it is just remarkable he managed to arrest the guy without shooting him.

This is reminding me of the girl who mowed down people at a 2015 homecoming parade at Oklahoma State University not too awful long ago. In that case it turned out the girl was depressed about a number of things and a little mentally ill as well IMO.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/adacia-chambers-oklahoma-state-homecoming-crash-sentenced/

Absolutely. And he was really close to the suspect at that point. Very close. With all the unknowns at the time it is just remarkable he managed to arrest the guy without shooting him.

This is reminding me of the girl who mowed down people at a homecoming parade at Oklahoma State University not too awful long ago. In that case it turned out the girl was depressed about a number of things and a little mentally ill as well IMO.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/adacia-chambers-oklahoma-state-homecoming-crash-sentenced/

Here's another:

The attorneys of Lakeisha Holloway argued the former Portland, Oregon woman was mentally ill when she committed the act in Dec. 2015.

On Monday, a judge found Holloway competent to face trial.

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/news/trial-date-set-in-deadly-las-vegas-strip-crash/663690486

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...6-injured-as-car-plows-into-crowd-20-Dec-2015

Toronto: Police name suspect in van attack that killed at least 10 as Alek Minassian

Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders told reporters the incident "definitely looked deliberate," though he would not call it an act of terror. He added that the motive was still unknown, and that police had no prior knowledge of the suspect.

Minister of Public Safety Ralph Goodale added that there was no indication the incident was related to national security.

“The events that happened behind us are horrendous but they do not appear in any way to be connected to national security," Mr Goodale said. He did not raise the national terror threat level.

Wow, this one shows greater detail of the arrest, lucky police officer, and bystanders here if you ask me, this is insane

[video=youtube;LA-YD6sTcP4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA-YD6sTcP4[/video]

That is one VERY BRAVE police officer.

It is very kind of the officer, not to have shot the killer.

I probably would have shot him when I saw the weapon---but I wouldn't have felt too awful about it. The guy just mowed down 26 people, including the elderly and women and children. Saving his life at that moment, would not have been my highest priority. Protecting others from him, if he was armed, would be a higher priority at the time.

JMO

It is very kind of the officer, not to have shot the killer.

I probably would have shot him when I saw the weapon---but I wouldn't have felt too awful about it. The guy just mowed down 26 people, including the elderly and women and children. Saving his life at that moment, would not have been my highest priority. Protecting others from him, if he was armed, would be a higher priority at the time.

JMO

Weapon? I thought he was unarmed, though I think he said he had a gun.

Weapon? I thought he was unarmed, though I think he said he had a gun.

Too bad for him, then. He said clearly "I have a gun!"...that's enough right there for him to get what he deserved.

<modsnip>

I’ve always been a proponent for cops but I’m just shocked after seeing video of this guy not once but three times acting like he was going to shoot and not one shot fired. It wasn’t an obscure object. He straight up pointed at the cops. Wow. I’m in awe of those cops restraint.

He is clearly pointing an object at them and then does this aggressive move twice after. Looks like he wanted ro be shot. I’m still just shocked he wasn’t killed. Maybe because it’s Canada? Idk. He’d be dead had that happened here. As well he should be.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back