CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree......No DNA back then, no technology like we have today, so good old fashion detective work....i know its hindsight, but most cops dont want to velieve one of their own is committing crimes, tgats why they get away with it so easy......guy goes into Pic n Save & sticks a hammer & can of dog repellent down his pants, & when he's confronted by store workers, he tried to run out the back door.

Two workers jump on him & tie him up on a chair & call the cops......he was steaming mad & furious because he got caught.

He knew he's cop career was basically over, although he plead not guilty & even took the stand in his own defense trying to talk.his way out of it.

Was found guilty & 6 months probation & a $100 fine.......the profile stated he had been in the military, possibly a cop, etc....hmm....I guess detectives didn't feel strongly enough about this suspect.

Wow that's ****ing crazy! Screams incompetence/corruption. Do you have a link to read about that?

Ive never used any of those sites like that. Can you elaborate with a hypothetical how a site like that could somehow tie a killer like this?

I know LE had his DNA on file but how would a random person trying to find out about their heritage stumble onto something like this case?

A lot of adoptees use these sites to try and find birth family members.

If you send your DNA in, and you give them your email, the site will send notifications when they come across new members that have familial connections with yours.

So if detectives have DNA, they can potentially get a warrant, to compare their DNA sample to the stored samples in Ancestry.com, to see if they can get a familial hit.

There was a long protracted legal battle, on a messed up case like that a few years ago. It turns out that LE got a warrant for the use of the Ancestry.com DNA to compare it to the DNA left behind in a savage child murder. They got a familial 'hit' --they thought so anyway.

And LE looked into the family of the person whose DNA sample at Ancestry gave them a hit. And they began 'investigating' a young man, who was in the same age range and looked similar to the witnesses descriptions of the killer. [ I cannot remember the name of the case--maybe someone else does.]

Anyway, after all that, and all the scrutiny of that individual--it was the wrong guy. The killer was not part of that family. They just hd very similar DNA, maybe distant relatives. So it was a legal mess.

ETA:
https://www.wired.com/2015/10/familial-dna-evidence-turns-innocent-people-into-crime-suspects/

Your Relative’s DNA Could Turn You Into a Suspect

"But the well-publicized success stories obscure the fact that familial DNA searches can generate more noise than signal. “Anyone who knows the science understands that there’s a high rate of false positives,” says Erin Murphy, a New York University law professor and the author of Inside the Cell: The Dark Side of Forensic DNA. The searches, after all, look for DNA profiles that are similar to the perpetrator’s but by no means identical, a scattershot approach that yields many fruitless leads, and for limited benefit. In the United Kingdom, a 2014 study found that just 17 percent of familial DNA searches “resulted in the identification of a relative of the true offender.”

on further thought, how many people buy dog repellent and why? some bikers and this guy was still biking
I'm not seeing this as a red flag......a possibility--yes.....it says he reconned the targets very carefully---it would seem he would be looking for evidence of dogs

It’s a red flag in that he fit the profile (!!!) and he was caught stealing items GSK would use in an attack kit.

So you want DNA from non offending police officers but not non violent drug offenders? Seems irrational given the statistics on who is more likely to be a violent murderer....and he killed most of the people (we know about anyway) after he was fired.

Can you share these statistics regarding the likelihood of both non-violent drug offenders and police officers to commit murder? I do a lot of research on crime and violence for grad school and these would be extremely useful to me. Thanks!

It was a known part of his MO that he repeatedly broke into houses where dogs were present without being attacked. Sorry, I know there's always an element of Monday morning quarterbacking in these situations but I really think he should have been on the radar somewhere before 2018.

I guess I missed that part about the dogs. I have only watched the series Unmasking a Killer, and don’t recall him repeatedly breaking into homes where dogs were present. Maybe I have some research to do. Maybe he didn’t use repellent on them before then?

Since he was a cop that committed a lot of these crimes while he was an active officer, could his victims from that period sue the police department for negligence in handling the case since he was amongst them all that time?

It also makes me curious to how many people he might have victimized in some way while on the job, working as an LE officer. 🤢🤮 What a nightmare.

HLN has an episode about one of the cases on right now.

ETA: Its the "Unmasking a Killer Part 1" about this monster.

I guess I missed that part about the dogs. I have only watched the series Unmasking a Killer, and don’t recall him repeatedly breaking into homes where dogs were present. Maybe I have some research to do. Maybe he didn’t use repellent on them before then?

Yes, but its 2018 and this guy wasn't even on their radar until six days ago, according to the press conference. Its long been part of this killers profile that he had either military or LE experience or both. Given his history, his location, his reason for being fired from the police and his physical similarity to the witness descriptions of the offender, surely he should have been noticed before now?

One to chalk up to experience I think. If a killer/rapist has, as part of his profile, a likely background in military or LE then look for people who were fired from military or LE, although really that lesson should have been learned after Jeffrey Dahmer.

Yes, and it was known that in several of the crime scenes, the dogs in the house left him alone. Also, several of the victims said he had a very offensive odor. It could have been dog repellent. So it could be absolutely relevant that he was caught shoplifting dog repellent and a hammer.

It was a known part of his MO that he repeatedly broke into houses where dogs were present without being attacked. Sorry, I know there's always an element of Monday morning quarterbacking in these situations but I really think he should have been on the radar somewhere before 2018.

Profiling was in it's infancy in the LATE 70s.

The investigation didn't stop in the late 70s. This guy had a criminal record for the shoplifting incident and it was obviously also on record all the time that he'd been fired from the police force. He was kinda in plain sight all the time.

One thing I will be interested to see come out of this is if he did receive psychiatric care at an in-patient facility in No. Cal. The phone call the GSK made to the crisis hotline said he had been in an insane asylum.

Wow that's ****ing crazy! Screams incompetence/corruption. Do you have a link to read about that?

DeAngelo Was a Police Officer, Who at One Point Was in Charge of Investigating Burglaries, Until He Was Accused of Shoplifting Dog Repellent & a Hammer at a Drug Store in 1979

Joseph DeAngelo was a police officer in California, from 1973 until 1979, when he was fired after being accused of shoplifting a can of dog repellent and a hammer at a Sacramento drug store, according to an article from a newspaper archive posted by Billy Jensen. He was a police officer in Auburn at the time.

A 1973 newspaper article from The Exeter Sun reveals that DeAngelo, then 27, was hired as a police officer in Exeter in August of that year. The newspaper article says he is a Bath, New York, native and is the son is the son of Joseph James DeAngelo Sr. and Kathleen Bosanko, who died in 2010. It is not clear if his father is still alive. DeAngelo served in the Vietnam War after graduating from Folsom Senior High School in June 1964.

In his late teens, DeAngelo moved to rural Auburn with his mother and stepfather, according to Doug Burgarel, a neighbor at that time. DeAngelo’s stepfather worked for Burgarel’s father at Sierra Crane and Hoist as a welder making indoor overhead cranes. The stepfather bought a piece of land from the Burgarals and built a home.

He lived with his mother and stepfather in Auburn, according to the Sacramento Bee. In 1970, he worked for Sierra Crane and Hoist with his stepfather. He went on to study at Sierra College, completing an associate’s degree with honors in police science. He then attended California State University at Sacramento and graduated with a degree in criminal justice, specializing in criminal law. Before being hired in Exeter, he interned with the Roseville Police Department, working in the patrol, identification and investigation divisions.

In 1976, while working in Exeter, DeAngelo was promoted to sergeant and put in charge of an anti-burglary team with another sergeant from a nearby department, according to a newspaper article from the time. DeAngelo “will investigate burglaries and attempt to prevent them by informing the public about burglary prevention methods,” according to the article. The team was called “Joint Attack on Burglary.”

After three years in Exeter, DeAngelo then started working for the Auburn Police Department in late 1976. The 1979 newspaper report by the Auburn Journal shows that DeAngelo was fired a month after his arrest.

“Auburn City Manager Jack Sausser said DeAngelo failed to answer any of the city’s investigations and did not request an administrative hearing so was dismissed Monday,” the newspaper wrote. Sausser told the newspaper, “There was justifiable grounds to remove him from the public sector.” DeAngelo did not comment about his arrest and firing at the time. Auburn Police Chief Nick Willick told the newspaper, “It is very important that the community have the utmost trust and faith in its officers’ integrity; when this trust and faith has been compromised, officers can no longer effectively function in the community.”

DeAngelo was arrested July 21, 1979, at the Pay N’Save Store off Greenback Lane in Citrus Heights, according to the newspaper. He was caught trying to steal the items by store employees and was then cited by Sacramento County Sheriff’s Deputies. Two months later, in September 1979, the East Area Rapist stabbed a dog while prowling in a neighborhood, according to The Daily Beast.

“Dog repellant. Hammer. And refuses a hearing after shoplifting charge. Just took his punishment and left the force so no one would look deeper,” Jensen wrote on Twitter.

But the resignation did not end the case against DeAngelo, Auburn Journal archives show. The newspaper wrote several articles chronicling the shoplifting saga between August and October 1979. DeAngelo took the case to trial in October 1979. A clerk at the store testified that he found a hammer in DeAngelo’s pants while they struggled in a back room of the store. He then tried to escape. Another clerk testified that he saw DeAngelo take a can of dog repellant out of the waistband of his trousers. According to the news report, deputies arrived to find that the clerks had tied DeAngelo to a chair and said he was “in an emotional state.” The jury found DeAngelo guilty on October 31, 1979, and a judge sentenced him to six months of probation and a $100 fine.

DeAngelo, who testified during his trial and denied trying to steal the items, appealed his firing, but later dropped his appeal after being found guilty in criminal court.

“It is very possible that he was committing the crimes while he was a police officer, but we’re unsure if he did those while on the job,” Sheriff Scott Jones said at a press conference.

Exeter Police Chief John Hall told CNN, “It is absolutely shocking that someone can commit such heinous crimes, and finding out someone in a position of trust could betray that is absolutely unbelievable.”

In a statement, the Auburn Police Department said it will “do everything within its power to support this investigation and any prosecution that follows. We will pull out all the stops for our Sacramento-area law enforcement partners in this horrific and historic case.”

https://heavy.com/news/2018/04/joseph-james-deangelo/

You say suspicious, I say red flag - tomayto, tomato.
I hope this isn't a repeat--my connection got screwed up--sorry if it is

..a big problem is unrealistic--instead of reality
..I've been on forums--especially military forums--where people think you can move troops in real life just like on a map--when in reality that is ridiculous ...they think like the movies/TV/---Kojak where Crocker tells Kojak with 5 minutes left in the episode, that the killer/burglar stole some dog repellent

let's think realistically:
these murders/rapes lasted [ 10? ] many years--meaning the investigation was ongoing/changing/complex --many involved
plus they did not know all of these murders were connected!!
plus not all of the murders involved dogs
plus there was much more evidence to collect/analyze/file/etc than just dog repellent

..since the murders were not connected until much later, there is a great possibility that DeAngelo's stealing was not even filed in the GSK folder--etc
MOO--I would think it would almost be a miracle for the investigators to be able to connect the stealing to the GSK--considering the problems/complexity of the case I have stated above
it all adds up to a complex/lengthy/etc investigation with many variables
bold for emphasis only

The apprehension:
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article209792989.html
[...]
Several neighbors said they saw DeAngelo working in his garage and in front of his house at about 2 p.m. One neighbor said DeAngelo was building a table.

Harvey, his next-door neighbor, said she heard a commotion at about 4 p.m. and looked out to see three or four law enforcement cars had pulled up, some of them unmarked, with officers wearing vests and helmets.
Sheriff Scott Jones said officers had conducted surveillance on the house for several days, watching DeAngelo's patterns, and decided to wait until he was outside his house to apprehend him.
[...]
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article209792989.html

I hope this isn't a repeat--my connection got screwed up--sorry if it is

..a big problem is unrealistic--instead of reality
..I've been on forums--especially military forums--where people think you can move troops in real life just like on a map--when in reality that is ridiculous ...they think like the movies/TV/---Kojak where Crocker tells Kojak with 5 minutes left in the episode, that the killer/burglar stole some dog repellent

let's think realistically:
these murders/rapes lasted [ 10? ] many years--meaning the investigation was ongoing/changing/complex --many involved
plus they did not know all of these murders were connected!!
plus not all of the murders involved dogs
plus there was much more evidence to collect/analyze/file/etc than just dog repellent

..since the murders were not connected until much later, there is a great possibility that DeAngelo's stealing was not even filed in the GSK folder--etc

there are many variables to consider
bold for emphasis only

Yes, I agree with all that. However, over the course of 40 years it didn't occur to anyone involved with the EAR investigation to look at people who had been fired from the police forces in the area, even after criminal profilers told them that the offender likely had LE or military experience. Surely if they had looked, his name would have been on their radar somewhere before six days ago.

That's what I'm criticising, I'm not expecting them to have jumped from dog repellant shoplifter to suspect number 1 in short order.

Golden State Killer suspect linked to Visalia mystery, was an Exeter police officer

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.fresnobee.com/news/local/crime/article209829249.html

... That includes the Visalia Ransacker crime spree, a rash of dozens of bizarre home burglaries that took place from 1974 to 1975.

The two cases have similarities and authorities have long thought them to be connected, though no official link had been made until Wednesday afternoon, when the Visalia Police Department released a statement saying it believes the cases are indeed related.

Detectives from the department’s violent crime unit are once again looking into the Visalia Ransacker cases and have established a public hotline, according to the release. Anyone who knew or associated with DeAngelo while he was in Tulare County in the 1970s is asked to call 559-713-4132.

Wow. If true it will be VERY interesting to learn what he did in Australia that led to his DNA being taken there.

When you hear about Mr Cruel, in Australia, you will be shocked.
If there is a connection!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member