CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of adoptees use these sites to try and find birth family members.

If you send your DNA in, and you give them your email, the site will send notifications when they come across new members that have familial connections with yours.

So if detectives have DNA, they can potentially get a warrant, to compare their DNA sample to the stored samples in Ancestry.com, to see if they can get a familial hit.

There was a long protracted legal battle, on a messed up case like that a few years ago. It turns out that LE got a warrant for the use of the Ancestry.com DNA to compare it to the DNA left behind in a savage child murder. They got a familial 'hit' --they thought so anyway.

And LE looked into the family of the person whose DNA sample at Ancestry gave them a hit. And they began 'investigating' a young man, who was in the same age range and looked similar to the witnesses descriptions of the killer. [ I cannot remember the name of the case--maybe someone else does.]

Anyway, after all that, and all the scrutiny of that individual--it was the wrong guy. The killer was not part of that family. They just hd very similar DNA, maybe distant relatives. So it was a legal mess.

ETA:
https://www.wired.com/2015/10/familial-dna-evidence-turns-innocent-people-into-crime-suspects/

Your Relative’s DNA Could Turn You Into a Suspect

"But the well-publicized success stories obscure the fact that familial DNA searches can generate more noise than signal. “Anyone who knows the science understands that there’s a high rate of false positives,” says Erin Murphy, a New York University law professor and the author of Inside the Cell: The Dark Side of Forensic DNA. The searches, after all, look for DNA profiles that are similar to the perpetrator’s but by no means identical, a scattershot approach that yields many fruitless leads, and for limited benefit. In the United Kingdom, a 2014 study found that just 17 percent of familial DNA searches “resulted in the identification of a relative of the true offender.”

It's not surprising. DNA doesn't lie and with genetic dna, determining the estimated degree of relatedness is a function of the number of centimorgans and matching dna segments. The higher the numbers, the closer the connection. If you are 4th cousins or better, it is very accurate. I've had solid matches that are 5th through 8th cousins.

In terms of how LE can figure out who the relatives of a suspect are, some of the genetic cousins may have posted their family trees on ancestry.com. There is also a "shared" dna function and you can find others who descend from the same line and look at their trees. It can surprisingly easy to figure out the exact connection, even with distant cousins.

There is also a website called Gedmatch.com where you can upload your dna (for free) and then find additional matches. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Gedmatch.com also shares information with LE as well as other sites where dna results are uploaded and cousin matches performed.

This guy joined the PD in the early late 60’s or 70’s. That was not a part of his hiring. Still isn’t for LE unless they’re going for FBI or Homeland.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is incorrect, insofar as the vast generalization goes. The application process for my job as a probation officer in the mid-2000s required a polygraph, and our local city PD required them as well, at the time.

I cannot speak on what they did in the 70s because I wasn't around applying for jobs then.

Yup! All when I am largely convinced it was Michelle's book, the podcasts and TV specials that led to a renewed interest and likely got the tipster to make a call. JD not on any list for 40 plus years and then just shows up 6 days ago? Hmmmm.

I thought the same dang thing. Egad! They almost broke their arms patting themselves on the back. Silly.

May be a dumb question but why was the "Is Ray there?" on tape? Was that from a victims machine or were the calls being monitored and recorded by the victim/police?

He used to call homes both before and after attacks, kind of casing when owners were hope, etc., etc. The “Is Ray there?” is (police believe) GSK making a fake “wrong number” call, which he apparently did pretty frequently. Victims said they had increased wrong-number and hang-up calls around the time of the attacks.

I am kind of surprised they are one in the same. I had long held onto the theory these were two different offenders. The physical descriptions seemed to vary so greatly. VR was described as pudgy and pear shaped while EAR was depicted as athletic and able to vault fences.

One thing I thought interesting....on the "unmasking a killer" series that has recently been focusing on EAR/ONS, one of the experts they feature dismissed EAR/ONS has also being the Visalia Ransacker, because the officer who came face to face with the ransacker described him as having a full face, where as all descriptions of EAR/ONS described him as younger and very lean in the face.

The photo of DeAngelo from '73 in the newspaper when he joined the Exeter department he is very full faced. Later photos from the 70s he appears much thinner. The physical descriptions given by witnesses were accurate and of the same person. Interesting that an expert didn't account for the possibility of personal changes and went so far as to dismiss the connection based on this one discrepancy. In my mind....everything fit too perfectly for EAR/ONS not to also be the Ransacker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never followed a serial killer case before but after reading several articles yesterday I had to stop by and congratulate these Sleuther’s on the arrest. I am also wondering if a familial DNA hit had anything to do with this.

For those thinking that the "Mr. Cruel" has to be connected because of MO. Look up a man named Jon Barry Simonis. He was a prolific serial rapist in Louisiana around the same time EAR was operating who used the same MO as far as prolonged surviellance, tying the man up, dishes on the mans back for an alarm, prioritizing his safety over completing the attack, etc. He was caught before he became a murderer, but he was escalating in that direction.

He gave an interview to FBI profiler Roy Hazelwood that outlined his MO and progression as a criminal that could give a lot of insight into EARs progression as well.

Point being, EAR's MO is not unique. It is rare, for sure, but not unique to him alone, despite LE's claims.

Coincidentally, Simonis operated for a time in California and looks remarkably like the long haired sketch associated with EAR.

It was also a hiring requirement in the late-1970s. I knew people who went through the hiring process at a couple of California police departments at that time.

It’s still a requirement for several agencies I know of that hire corrections officers!

I use GEDmatch. If you have only tested with only one commercial testing company like 23andMe, FTDNA, or AncestryDNA you can upload your DNA raw data file to see others that match you that test with the other companies. Your match list is much more extensive and long because it includes all the matches from the other companies you haven't tested with. It's growing even more because MyHeritiage and WeGene are now included.

But I wouldn't rule out LE submitting DeAngelo's DNA to FTDNA for a Big-Y test to genetically trace his Y-DNA lineage to his surname. I took the test and it revealed my surname matching with other men and their distant male ancestors with the same surname.

Great thinking!!! Would LE be able to do this legally?

Exactly. Did you read "Helter Skelter"? Author Vincent Bugliosi wrote about the failure of agencies to communicate with each other in the Manson case.
I read it--but long ago--but I do have the movie DVD from the library....just got it last week
his other books are good reading also
...and I think everyone knows, even when they do communicate--the communication can be misconstrued/faulty/takes time/etc--so add this to my list of problems with the dog repellent/etc posted before..and there still could be inter-agency rivalry disrupting investigations even with communication...the military is like that....even at civilian work places
.....if there is a mistake--humans don't like it to talk about it or even accept their failure ....this is one aspect of communication for just about all humans/agencies

Does anyone have any information on whether or not LE has interviewed the accused’s younger brother, if he’s still alive?

From jotting out the family tree....it seems that JJD 3 siblings are all alive. (2 sisters, 1 brother) JJD is the second eldest.
I know it has been said that the family is cooperating, however I don't think it has been specified which family members they refer to.

Great thinking!!! Would LE be able to do this legally?

Ancestry.com produces a transparency report each year with regard to law enforcement. 2015 - 2017 they had not received requests for any DNA. They had received one request in 2014.

https://www.ancestry.com.au/cs/transparency-2015

https://www.ancestry.com.au/cs/transparency

2017 report: We received no requests for information related to genetic information of any Ancestry member, and we did not disclose any such information to law enforcement."

Will be interesting to see the 2018 report.

I will be interested in knowing about his stages of life and things that were happening about the times he stopped. Also his childhood... I can't imagine the terror and excruciating pain his victims suffered. I wish he'd been caught long ago. He's lived a full life and for that I'm regretful.
Someone above wondered about the descriptions and how they differed making many think it was two perps. I didn't look at the timeline, but I imagine he may have gained weight with age. He was no longer in the military which I imagine kept him fit. A true monster!

In California in the 1970s, it was not uncommon for police to undergo a polygraph as part of their pre-employment investigation. Expecting that the man had to go through an investigation for hiring into a sworn position, how did he pass the polygraph? It would suggest, to me, a lack of conscience or someone who doesn't associate themselves with their own criminal behaviors.

Maybe someone with better training and experience could discuss a condition where people can do the things he is accused of doing, and not react when investigated and questioned on a polygraph?
...maybe you've read about serial killers--they are very ''unemotional'' about what they do--the BTK killer was like an unemotional robot when he talked about his killings
..these serial killings are not for greed/passion/personal hate/etc ---

At Waller's direction, Rader went down the list of charges, explaining in a calm, dispassionate voice how he carried out each of the killings.
bold mine
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/27/btk/

..the Hillside Stanglers would take a ''lot'' of time slowly killing their victims---torturing them..and of course strangle them--strangling takes a much less sensitive ''human'' than using a pistol would
..Randy Craft would beat and strangle his victims...
..these are much different than just shooting someone ...they are ''robots''
etc etc

this is why I think serial killers are so fascinating to research---they are so ''inhuman''--which is why they could pass that test
simply and obviously--they are not like most humans--thankfully
bold for emphasis only

...maybe you've read about serial killers--they are very ''unemotional'' about what they do--the BTK killer was like an unemotional robot when he talked about his killings
..these are not killings for greed/passion/personal hate/etc ---

bold mine
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/27/btk/
..the Hillside Stanglers would take a ''lot'' of time killing their victims---torturing them..and of course strangle them--strangling takes a much less sensitive ''human'' than using a pistol
Randy Craft would beat and strangle his victims...
these are much different than just shooting someone ...they are ''robots''
etc etc

this is why I think serial killers are so fascinating to research---they are so ''inhuman''

I agree. No conscience and no anxiety produces no guilt and sociopaths easily pass lie detectors.

In in earlier article they stated he worked for Pepsi but that has since been corrected to that he worked at "Save Mart". LE says Michelle's book had nothing to do with catching him, that was asked and answered in the press conference. Also If you read "case files" by Kat Winters they list a rape of a mother and a teen daughter and some sexual acts were also preformed on a 7 year old. It is in the very first part of the book.

Before he retired last year, DeAngelo had been working at a distribution center for Save Mart grocery stores. He worked the for 27 years.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tate-Killer-72-speak-shock.html#ixzz5Dmtlw3nB
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Ancestry.com produces a transparency report each year with regard to law enforcement. 2015 - 2017 they had not received requests for any DNA. They had received one request in 2014.

2017 report: We received no requests for information related to genetic information of any Ancestry member, and we did not disclose any such information to law enforcement."

I have had my DNA tested by ancestry. If there was such a monster in my family, I would have no problem with ancestry providing police with the info.

Yup! All when I am largely convinced it was Michelle's book, the podcasts and TV specials that led to a renewed interest and likely got the tipster to make a call. JD not on any list for 40 plus years and then just shows up 6 days ago? Hmmmm.

Just purchased the book from Kindle.

While watching the HLN special last night about the Golden State Killer, hubs noticed one of the advertising sponsors was 23 & Me. DNA testing for large populations has the potential to be a great law enforcement tool, but there's so much room for abuse. People who use these tests to check for inherited risks for diseases,etc. can potentially have that information used by employers, credit card companies, mortgage lenders, etc. to harm them. There are some real horror stories related to companies learning about customers and employees health care and genetic risk information. Current laws on the books (like HIPAA and GINA) don't cover third parties like genetic testing companies. They also offer little to no legal remedies to people who have been harmed.

There are already a couple of cases on record where familial DNA has caused LE to go after innocent people. Sure, they may be cleared later, but the damage to their reputation and cost of legal defense is high. Use of DNA and voluntary DNA databases should be very carefully monitored and they probably need to lay down some legal guidelines.

As for Ancestry.com's disclosure reports - what's the penalty if those reports are falsified? None.

He was serving in the Exeter police department frm MAy 1973 and committed well over 100 burglaries and ransackings in Visalia. Many of the victims were young girls from Mt Whitney High School or a local church. He then attempted the kidnap and presumably rape Beth Snelling, and he murdered her father Professor Claude Snelling when he tried to prevent the abduction.

He never married Bonnie, they were briefly engaged. Sharon appears to be his only marriage.
Ah, so Bonnie got smart!
Glad she didn't stay involved with him!
Moo

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics