CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
???????

“It” = evidence that contains DNA

Crime scene:
“The location of a crime scene can be the place where the crime took place, or can be any area that contains evidence from the crime itself. Scenes are not only limited to a location, but can be any person, place, or object *associated with the criminal behaviors that occurred*.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_scene

“LOL” ... why do you think it’s funny? Serious question.
It was in response to whether there was a child conceived from one of the rape cases.
A what if scenario.
At the time I was trying to work it out in my head.
I was laughing at myself.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Trigger warning: Gross sexual content

Regarding “pump”- there are many victims who said they heard noises (and smelled baby lotion) where he was basically masturbating immediately before the rapes. One description thought they heard a pump used- I’d thought they were referring to those old suction devices that were sold in the back of magazines, not an implant.
From his MO, it doesn’t seem anyone saw him except initially when he was name from the waist down and flaccid.
I think they were all blindfolded and basically hearing the noises that came from using a good deal of baby lotion and elbow grease.
I’m wondering if that one comment where someone imagined he was using a pump didn’t morph into the implant idea? Did they even exist in the 70’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Came on the market in 1973 I believe.
Moo

The vast majority of US population has not submitted their DNA to websites such as ancestry.com In other words law enforcement got extremely lucky with this case. Mr D'Angelo 40 years of luck ran out. Karma finally caught up to him.
It depends upon how many individuals can be associated to one DNA sample.

The law and personal opinion are two different things. A judge must follow the written law.

I read yesterday that California’s DNA statues had been revised in recent years and upheld recently by the Supreme Court.

Paul Holes Confirms a 4th Cousin's GEDMatch Data Helped Narrow the Search

A 4th cousin! That's got to strike a lot of fear into the hearts of killers who've been getting away with it for years, most people don't even know their 4th cousins.

Paul Holes Confirms a 4th Cousin's GEDMatch Data Helped Narrow the Search

Interesting, please someone correct me if I am wrong but that would be a great great grandparents children. I question the possibility of that because wouldnt they have had to submit it over 20 years ago for it to be in that database? Did GEDmatch even exist that long ago? There should be at the least an 80 year gap between JJD and his great great grandparents so there is no chance that generation is alive.

After the passage of Ca. prop 69 in 2004, which allows for the collection of DNA, for any felony and certain misdemeanor arrests, it’s surprising that DeAngelo didn’t move out of state. Apparently, he became complacent, unlike the behavior he exhibited in his younger years.

Came on the market in 1973 I believe.
Moo

Now I’m wondering if they meant pumping the bottle of lotion? Always thought it was weird they would imagine that was what they were hearing.
The smell and sound of that was widely reported, and I can get how people would make that leap considering the unusually small penis described.

Interesting, please someone correct me if I am wrong but that would be a great great grandparents children. I question the possibility of that because wouldnt they have had to submit it over 20 years ago for it to be in that database? Did GEDmatch even exist that long ago? There should be at the least an 80 year gap between JJD and his great great grandparents so there is no chance that generation is alive.

Why would they have had to submit it over 20 years ago?

I’m not sure I understand your logic, but the great great grandparents DNA would not have to be in GEDmatch. The 4th cousins DNA would be, along with a family tree leading up to the great great grands. Then LE would have had to go back down the tree to find all possible 4th cousins of the DNA donor and narrow it down from there. IMO

Why would they have had to submit it over 20 years ago?

With an 80 year gap between generations, taking into account that JJD is 70 how long could they have lived? Im lacking in the best way to describe this, so imagine that JJD is 20... his great great grandparent if alive would mean the cousins are about 60. So if he is 40, they are 100 and so on. So unless they submitted it 50 years ago how did it come to exist in that database?

With an 80 year gap between generations, taking into account that JJD is 70 how long could they have lived? Im lacking in the best way to describe this, so imagine that JJD is 20... his great great granparent if alive would mean the cousins are about 60. So unless they submitted it 50 years ago how did it come to exist in that database?

Its the 4th cousin's DNA that was submitted, not the great grandparents.

Your third cousin is the great-grandchild of your great-great-aunt or great-great-uncle. You share a set of great-great-grandparents with your third cousin, but do not have the same great-grandparents. Fourth cousins have one set of great-great-great-grandparents, but not the same great-great-grandparents. And so on.

http://www.searchforancestors.com/utility/cousincalculator.html

If you find a forth cousin’s match, you have an idea of how far it could possibly be related. Then you go back and use historical records to go back as many generations as you need to- in this case they specified great great great grandparents- and then you go back and examine ALL the records of al the decendents from those GGG grandparents. They eliminated those who have lived east coast/ Midwest their entire lives and found one branch out in California. Narrow down for sex age and location.... then other factors. This took many weeks, maybe months.
This guy wasn’t even top of their list once they got to the Cali branch, but they eliminated others somehow.
Fascinating stuff!

With an 80 year gap between generations, taking into account that JJD is 70 how long could they have lived? Im lacking in the best way to describe this, so imagine that JJD is 20... his great great grandparent if alive would mean the cousins are about 60. So unless they submitted it 50 years ago how did it come to exist in that database?

Cousinhood is a little (a lot?) confusing sometimes. Here is a chart which shows how it goes. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. cousins are of the same generation.
https://lifehacker.com/second-cousins-once-removed-and-more-explained-in-1661572056

If you find a forth cousin’s match, you have an idea of how far it could possibly be related. Then you go back and use historical records to go back as many generations as you need to- in this case they specified great great great grandparents- and then you go back and examine ALL the records of al the decendents from those GGG grandparents. They eliminated those who have lived east coast/ Midwest their entire lives and found one branch out in California. Narrow down for sex age and location.... then other factors. This took many weeks, maybe months.
This guy wasn’t even top of their list once they got to the Cali branch, but they eliminated others somehow.
Fascinating stuff!

TLDR: they used the match to find a family tree to investigate the old fashioned way, and to determine how far back they had to go- in this case it seems like five generations!
When they found a very likely suspect, they used DNA collection to check against their own sample.

My understanding is LE was watching DeAngelo after he was identified as a potential suspect through GEDmatch, and they were able to obtain two DNA samples from items DeAngelo discarded. LE performed a DNA analysis of DeAngelo's actual DNA and it matched crime scene (s) DNA.

Exactly. They didn't arrest him based on GEDmatch. They used GEDmatch to find him, then matched his gathered DNA (from garbage in a public place?) to match crime scene DNA. Twice. I believe any legal attacks on this method may set precedent but not change this trial. Once they had the GEDmatch results they still had to do hours and hours of family tree research, which I assume they hired genealogists for. It's not easy work, and an expert would be needed.

Wonder how many LEOs around the country/world are now scrambling to set up GEDmatch accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77