CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he tended to avoid targets with a big mean dog present, but barking neighborhood dogs were a common occurrence and didn't bother him, as I recall. Dogs bark all the time. The bigger mystery to me is the number of people who didn't call about or even investigate a suspicious noise or some other sign of his prowling which he did religiously, like a broken record. I keep thinking about him walking on roofs and not even trying to be quiet. So creepy.

I dont want to encourage this line of discussion but it clearly says in the profile created about him that the weapons used were not left behind. He could have used a hammer, it is a blunt object as much as a log is.
Without getting graphic, a hammer would leave a much different wound than a log. In most cases Hammer wounds are easy for medical examiner's to identify.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Without getting graphic, a hammer would leave a much different wound than a log. In most cases Hammer wounds are easy for medical examiner's to identify.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I hate saying this myself, but in Janelle Cruz' case her face and forehead was severely crushed. They assumed that a wrench may have been used because it was missing. This was a long time ago, so it is not surprising that crime scene evaluation was not as advanced. Maybe the weapon used wasnt even as important at that time as finding who did it.

Oh boy :)

The bloodhounds tracked him very successfully. Many times. Right to the exact spot where he parked his car.

I am wondering if some of the people arguing points have done much reading on the case.

A thread was opened on this case here on websleuths 13 years ago:

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...Rapist-aka-The-Original-Night-Stalker-1976-86

It has lots of fantastic information! :)

I also read they acted strangely and had a hard time tracking the scent. I'm not sure where I read it. But it was recent. I'm reading Michelle's book currently.

Hunting a Psychopath by Richard Shelby is not the most recent book on the subject, but it's full of interesting stuff. (Shelby was one of the early detectives on the case.) At one 1977 crime scene, the victim heard a car honk repeatedly while GSK was in the house; then the doorbell rang, after which there was a tapping on the window and a woman's voice was heard (and another). GSK left shortly thereafter. GSK was known for talking to himself, but this seems excessive even for him. The victim didn't recognize the voices and to the author's knowledge, the window-tapper never came forward.

(Reviewers who claim to be experts say that the book has errors. Maybe, but this doesn't seem to be one of them.)

Because there is no proof it was used. No one specifically identified it. Maybe it was used but JJD was a smart guy so I think its more likely that the plan was out of the question once he was arrested with it.

I just now had a strong recollection of the exact smell of a (probably Hart’s) dog repellant we bought in the mid late 70’s. It was to keep dogs from “going” back to a spot and was not anything like pepper, but just really distasteful- kind of made you gag, but didn’t seem organic/ dirty at all.
The weird thing is, I can’t think of a single thing to compare the smell to.... which is exactly how a couple of women described his smell. The best I can describe it as strong and gag inducing, maybe slightly metallic? More of an odd chemical smell, very hard to place because it’s not dirty or rotting like most things that would make you gag, but sort of clean and chemically. Hmmmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunting a Psychopath by Richard Shelby is not the most recent book on the subject, but it's full of interesting stuff. (Shelby was one of the early detectives on the case.) At one 1977 crime scene, the victim heard a car honk repeatedly while GSK was in the house; then the doorbell rang, after which there was a tapping on the window and a woman's voice was heard (and another). GSK left shortly thereafter. GSK was known for talking to himself, but this seems excessive even for him. The victim didn't recognize the voices and to the author's knowledge, the window-tapper never came forward.

(Reviewers who claim to be experts say that the book has errors. Maybe, but this doesn't seem to be one of them.)

chilling thank you. I will read that next. Anyone else think his wife helped him?

The fact they didn't know he was a cop is very odd. Why would the mother lie to her daughters?
Why not say he used to be a cop?
How much did she know?

When there is a big family dysfunction- basically some topics will become off limits because they set off a person, and it’s deemed not worth the bother. Super common around someone w an explosive temper.
When some people “don’t want to talk about it” they’ll enforce it w a gray outbursts.

I just now had a strong recollection of the exact smell of a (probably Hart’s) dog repellant we bought in the mid late 70’s. It was to keep dogs from “going” back to a spot and was not anything like pepper, but just really distasteful- kind of made you gag, but didn’t seem organic/ dirty at all.
The weird thing is, I can’t think of a single thing to compare the smell to.... which is exactly how a couple of women described his smell. The best I can describe it as strong and gag inducing, maybe slightly metallic? More of an odd chemical smell, very hard to place because it’s not dirty or rotting like most things that would make you gag, but sort of clean and chemically. Hmmmm.

Citronella or citrus?
Or casin like cinnamin?

When there is a big family dysfunction- basically some topics will become off limits because they set off a person, and it’s deemed not worth the bother. Super common around someone w an explosive temper.
When some people “don’t want to talk about it” they’ll enforce it w a gray outbursts.

gotcha! I've witnessed this before. Not in my household but in a friend's household. Every time he asked about his bio mom his adopted mom would grasp her heart feign a heart attack until he promised never to ask about her again and to never try to meet her. The adoption turned pout to be illegal blackmarket in the mid 60's.

No I don't see any evidence that his wife is involved.

From that section, in the book the victim recalled two people and a woman's voice. That's what got me wondering who it was. What women did he know that would drive a get away car?
In Hunting a Psychopath 1977

Oh boy :)

The bloodhounds tracked him very successfully. Many times. Right to the exact spot where he parked his car.

I am wondering if some of the people arguing points have done much reading on the case.

A thread was opened on this case here on websleuths 13 years ago:

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...Rapist-aka-The-Original-Night-Stalker-1976-86

It has lots of fantastic information! :)

The lengthy profile posted a few pages back indicated that a rounded weapon was used. A hammer could certainly be described as a rounded weapon.
You seem to be quite knowledgeable with the case. Can you please provide links to your posts so I can better determine what you are posting as fact vs opinion. :)

Maybe the "dog repellent" was Halt.

The History of Pepper Spray

In 1960, a different type of compound was created at the University of Georgia by Professor James H. Jenkins and Dr Frank Hayes. Sold commercially in 1963 it was known as Halt Animal Repellent. Fast-forward to today and modern day use of pepper spray is a popular device often used for self defense.

http://www.beststungun.com/the-history-of-pepper-spray

SBM

What exactly is the "dog repellent " that DeAngelo was caught stealing? Was it a spray? Mace? Pepper spray? Or something else. I'm not sure what was available in the 1970's.

Was it something that would remain behind for an extended period of time or would it dissipate rapidly?

I recall this from the 70’s. It was to stop them from peeing, but they’d literally pull back and not want to be near it. You’d have to get close, but you’d be overwhelmed by an odd chemical smell that made you gag and recoil. Very hard to describe it- was sold in Woolworths Pet dept and hardware store. Hartz Mountain brand I believe. We tried it out on our dog a few times, it lingered.

From that section, in the book the victim recalled two people and a woman's voice. That's what got me wondering who it was. What women did he know that would drive a get away car?
In Hunting a Psychopath 1977

I don't find that very likely. We've seen plenty of husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend teams in rapes and murders and the woman always makes more of an appearance than a voice at one crime scene. That's probably a mistake from the author or maybe it was a neighbour tapping at the window and didn't come forward because she didn't want to get involved.

The lengthy profile posted a few pages back indicated that a rounded weapon was used. A hammer could certainly be described as a rounded weapon.
You seem to be quite knowledgeable with the case. Can you please provide links to your posts so I can better determine what you are posting as fact vs opinion. :)

It does not say "rounded" and is not used a single time in the profile. It says specifically "blunt force instruments". Which strongly indicates they had no idea what the weapon used was.
https://tinyurl.com/yblz6d5p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members