"Theories only" - thread

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The facts:

Elisa Lam was visiting the US for a “West Coast Tour” as indicated by her Tumblr blog.

Elisa Lam checked into the Stay on Main (ie Cecil Hotel) on January 28[SUP]th[/SUP]

Elisa Lam was due to depart on January 31[SUP]st[/SUP]

Elisa Lam was last seen either by:

The manager of The Last Bookstore on January 31[SUP]st[/SUP]
Staff at the Stay on Main on January 31[SUP]st[/SUP]
Video surveillance assumed to be from the night of January 31[SUP]st[/SUP]/morning of February 1[SUP]st[/SUP]

Elisa Lam was traveling alone

Elisa lame was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder by Sara E Scarfe with the Student Psyche division of the University of British Columbia

Elisa Lam was prescribed Venlafaxine (Effexor), Wellbutrin, Lamotrigine, and Quetiapine, all known anti-depressants

Elisa Lam’s purse was found to contain Dexedrine Spansule (dextroamphetamine) – it is unknown if this was a prescribed medication as it was found loose in her purse

Elisa Lam was seen on surveillance video entering an elevator, and acting erratically

Elisa Lam was moved to a private room on the fourth floor of the Stay on Main after her roommates requested she be moved due to “certain odd behavior”

Elisa Lam was found on February 19[SUP]th[/SUP], dead, floating in one of four water tanks above the Cecil Hotel

Elisa Lam’s autopsy did NOT indicate trauma anywhere on her body. There was a scar on her right knee, however, scars are resultant of injuries that have already healed, meaning she did not incur an injury leading up to or while entering the tank

Elisa Lam’s autopsy found traces of her medications in her fluid samples, however, only the Wellbutrin was found to be taken recently – it is common medical practice to prescribe additional anti-depressants with Wellbutrin as Wellbutrin alone can lead to suicidal ideation and mania

Elisa Lam’s autopsy indicated a positive indicator for ethanol (alcohol) in her bile, but not from blood taken from the heart

Elisa Lam was found in the water tank with her head angled downward, feet up – this is consistent with drowning according to the FBI

Elisa Lam was found in the water tank naked, with her clothes, watch, and keycard all present in the tank

THEORIES run rampant in this case…

1. Elisa was being followed by an unknown assailant in the “elevator video”, this assailant is the likely culprit of her disappearance/death
2. Elisa was looking to “meet up” with individuals from Tumblr, resulting in her disappearance/death
3. Elisa was killed by someone who lived in the upper “residential” floors of the Cecil (long-term residents)
All of these theories posit that the killer(s) must have placed Elisa in the water tank atop the building.

FIRSTLY, let’s eliminate the impossible:

1. It would be nearly impossible to kill Elisa on the 14[SUP]th[/SUP]/15[SUP]th[/SUP] floor, and transport the body to the roof of the Cecil without someone noticing
2. It would be nearly impossible for the “killer” to transport the dead body from the 14[SUP]th[/SUP]/15[SUP]th[/SUP] floor up into the roof access door, up onto the maintenance shed ladder, drop it onto the top of the water tank, and drop it into the tank via the small hatch without substantial injury to the body
3. It would be nearly impossible for the “killer” to get Elisa up to the roof, kill her without leaving any trauma, and up into the water tank without substantial damage to the body
4. It would be impossible for the killer to lure Elisa into the tank, and subsequently drown her without he/she themselves getting into the tank – the FBI also indicates that it is particularly difficult to drown someone, as the fight-or-flight response is too powerful
5. All of these methods would a) leave substantial amounts of the killers DNA and b) most likely be noticed by hotel staff or patrons

What’s left? A disturbed individual found their way onto the roof of the Cecil, decided it prudent to enter the water tank, and drowned.

Based on her behavior in the “Elevator Video” Elisa was either

A) Experiencing a manic episode
B) On drugs (Ecstasy, specifically, although stimulants such as Dextroamphetamine can cause similar effects)

If Elisa was indeed experiencing a manic episode… perhaps edged on by the help of the stimulant Dextroamphetamine (improbable, not impossible)

1. She “explored” the hotel at her favorite time of day (night)
2. She found her way onto the roof (many of her Tumblr photos include the roofs of buildings)
3. She found her way to the top of the water tank – in her mania, she deemed it a good idea to enter the tank for a little midnight swim
4. In the tank, she realizes that she cannot get out (there are no ladders inside the tank)
5. Panicked, she begins treading water – removing the clothes that were weighing her down, and losing her watch in the process
6. Finally, she succumbs to her fatigue and drowns
7. Constant use of the water supply means that the water level dropped and increased during her time in there
8. The dropping water levels, the motion of water in/out of the tank, results in her clothes coming into contact with the bottom of the tank, where sediment such as sand and paint flakes have come to rest – this would explain the sand/flecks on her clothes as evidenced by the coroner

If Elisa was indeed on drugs such as Ecstasy… (improbable, not impossible)

1. She explored the hotel while high, which would explain her erratic movements in the hotel elevator, particularly if she was experiencing hallucinations
2. In her drug-induced state, she was determined to visit the roof of the hotel (again, she shows an interest in architecture as evidenced by the photos of building rooftops)
3. It is common for individuals on ecstasy to feel “warm”, explaining why she jumped into the water tank
4. After entering the tank, she realized she could not get out, panicked, she begins treading water and removing the clothes that are weighing her down
5. Finally, she succumbs to her fatigue and drowns
6. Constant use of the water supply means that the water level decreased and increased during her time in there
7. The dropping water levels, the motion of water in/out of the tank, results in her clothes coming into contact with the bottom of the tank, where sediment such as sand and paint flakes have come to rest – this would explain the sand/flecks on her clothes as evidenced by the coroner

Ecstasy can cause: a perceived increase in energy levels, a euphoric state of being, distorted perception of time, and increased energy/focus
Ecstasy would certainly explain why this poor young lady decided to take a midnight swim.

In addition, side effects include: muscle cramping, fever, and hallucinations (to name a few) with additional effects including panic attacks, loss of consciousness, and extreme increase in body temperature if the user is experiencing an overdose

The coroner listed her death as accidental rapid drowning – had she indeed been experiencing the side effects of ecstasy, it would have been difficult to stay afloat with muscle cramping – additionally, if she were experiencing the side-effects of ecstasy overdose the prospect of cooling down in a water tank would be quite enticing.

Just imagine, this poor girl, away from home and trying to experience life on her own, trying ecstasy for the first time… she takes a dose that is much too high for her meager 115lbs, and begins tripping balls – coupled with her already delicate mental condition, she begins feeling the need to expend some energy – playfully hopping on the elevator, exploring the hotel, and finding her way to the rooftop. She begins to feel the effects of overdose, she’s hot and manic, and in her mind, decides that cooling off in the water tank is a great idea! She clambers to the top of the maintenance shed via the ladder, and lowers herself onto the NE water tank. The lid is no match for her – it’s simple galvanized metal that lifts away easily. No person in this agitated state is going to think, “Hey, I should carefully remove my clothes and place them neatly on top of this tank”, so she lowers herself in – fully dressed – and for a moment is enjoying herself. But there’s no ladder to get out. She hasn’t thought this through completely. She calls for help, but she’s on the roof of a 14-story building in the middle of the night. Nobody hears her. She treads water, slowly growing more and more exhausted. She removes her clothes, hoping to reduce some of the weight on her, and in the process her watch falls off. Finally, she loses consciousness, and drowns. Her clothes, floating in the tank, ascend and descend with the water level, dragging along the bottom and collecting some find sandy sediment and flaked paint. During peak water usage, the water outlets create suction that traps her clothes, reducing water flow. For almost three weeks, decomposition slowly takes hold of her body, discoloring the water and giving it that “sickly sweet” taste of death.

Elisa is reported missing to the Vancouver police by her family. The Vancouver police contact the LAPD. LAPD does a cursory investigation – perhaps foul play is involved? They do a quick sweep of the building, and find no trace of her. Surveillance video indicates that she was on the lift, acting erratically, but alone. LAPD discovers that she suffers from bi-polar disorder. Further investigation is stymied by their overload of other cases. Eventually, she’s just a missing person that, hopefully, turns up.

Enough guests complain about the water pressure that maintenance finally begins looking into the issue. Obviously, the first thing you check is the source – the water tanks atop the building. Maintenance worker peers into the already-open hatch of the NE water tank, and low and behold, we find Elisa Lam.

No sign of trauma, indicating that she was alive when she carefully entered the tank, and her medications indicate that she may be depressed. Police begin to paint a picture of a troubled young lady who simply wanted to end her life. Suicide does not take precedent over homicide, so her autopsy, blood/fluid tests, and investigation altogether slows down to give priority to the rapes and murders that occur in LA every day.

The medical examiner wants to run blood and fluid tests to eliminate external causality. He marks her cause of death as “unknown” for the time being. After learning more about her, it’s evident that she entered the water tank on her own volition. Whether this was because she was in a manic state, on drugs, or suicidal doesn’t make too much of a difference – the death is marked “accidental”.

Why the secrecy from the police? Why the confusion? Out of respect for her family. Would you want your loved ones’ death plastered all over for the world to see? We already know that her case gained significant media attention following the release of the elevator video… perhaps the police just didn’t want every detail out there for the world, and her family, to see?

^ Agree. There was absolutely zero evidence of foul play here, of any sort. This was a very sad accident by a girl who wanted to explore the roof. She thought she would be able to climb in and out of the tank, but realized she couldn't. It's a shame.

^ Agree. There was absolutely zero evidence of foul play here, of any sort. This was a very sad accident by a girl who wanted to explore the roof. She thought she would be able to climb in and out of the tank, but realized she couldn't. It's a shame.

It was helpful for me to come to these conclusions in 2017 as opposed to 2013 as there is additional information available from the wrongful death suit brought against the Cecil by Lam's family.

What really gives me the creeps about this case, and what nobody has pointed out, is perhaps Elisa was alive for quite some time in there...

After everyone had showered for the day, and used the bathroom/brushed their teeth before going to bed, perhaps the tank was only 1/4 full - at ten feet, that would be 2 1/2 feet of water. After she was in the tank, it began to fill with water - perhaps she was able to stand in the tank for quite some time? It filled with water, she treaded water, and the tank again began to deplete in the morning as guests showered and used the bathroom. Who knows how many times this process repeated itself before she just grew too tired to tread water any longer? -shiver-

^ I suppose that's possible, but what I think happened, was that the tank was more like 3/4 full when she entered. If the tank was only 1/4 full, I don't believe she would have ever gotten inside, because that would have been somewhat of a far drop and she would have known it would be incredibly difficult -- if not impossible -- to get out. I envision that the water was closer to the opening, hence why she felt she could get inside and out with ease. I don't know how long she would have been in there, but I feel like it would have only been for no more than a 30 hour to an hour; if not right away. Maybe she panicked instantly when she jumped in, and she drowned immediately -- and her clothes (which were loose fitting) were removed as the water swirled in the tank for weeks following.

But yes, many things came out within the last year that cemented my belief. I remember the biggest thing was that the lid was closed and locked on the tank where she was found -- this is actually still said, which irks me -- but that is utterly false and well-documented that the lid was completely off the tank when her body was found; and that the lids were never "locked" until after this tragedy. Anyone could remove them. That's just one thing.

^
But yes, many things came out within the last year that cemented my belief. I remember the biggest thing was that the lid was closed and locked on the tank where she was found -- this is actually still said, which irks me -- but that is utterly false and well-documented that the lid was completely off the tank when her body was found; and that the lids were never "locked" until after this tragedy. Anyone could remove them. That's just one thing.

I saw that quite a few times, as well. Even in reading some recent forum posts, some people seem to be under the impression that a) the lid was too heavy for Elisa *it wasn't* and b) the hatch was closed *it wasn't*

http://laist.com/2015/10/01/elisa_lam_wrongful_death_suit.php

Straight from SL's mouth - "the hatch to the main tank was open".

If it were foul play, you'd think the perp would have closed the tank.

Right. Everything points to this being an accidental death, but people enjoy believing in mysteries, so they perpetuate this myth in order to preserve the mystery. If you look at all the evidence, as a whole, it points to one and only one conclusion. Now, that isn't to say that there aren't a couple of things that are explainable. The one thing I have trouble with is the fact that her wrist watch was also found off her body. That it strange, but we don't know if it was found still attached to itself, but off of her wrist -- depending on how tightly she had it on, it could have simply slipped off her skin, considering she was in the tank for weeks. In addition, it's strange she entered with her clothes, particularly her sandals, still on. I question why she wouldn't have at least left her sandals on top of the tank before getting inside; or why she wouldn't have stripped down to just her underwear (i.e., if you're planning on going swimming, why would you were a hoodie?). Even so, the overwhelming evidence here suggests that she got in on her own accord.

The one thing I have trouble with is the fact that her wrist watch was also found off her body. That it strange, but we don't know if it was found still attached to itself, but off of her wrist -- depending on how tightly she had it on, it could have simply slipped off her skin, considering she was in the tank for weeks. In addition, it's strange she entered with her clothes, particularly her sandals, still on. I question why she wouldn't have at least left her sandals on top of the tank before getting inside; or why she wouldn't have stripped down to just her underwear (i.e., if you're planning on going swimming, why would you were a hoodie?). Even so, the overwhelming evidence here suggests that she got in on her own accord.

I can see the wrist watch coming off as she panicked and removed her clothing (either accidentally or with intent). The clothes, I mean, we weren't dealing with someone in a normal state of mind. She was under the influence of /something/, or suffering a severe psychotic state. People like that... they don't think about those things... I'm sure her train of thought was ROOF!!!> WATER TANK!!!> GET IN!!! with absolutely no regard to the consequences of these actions.

I think all the weird questions we have, regarding why this that or the other thing happened, is precisely because she /was/ in some alternate state that none of us can comprehend because we're thinking logically. She, on the other hand, was not really thinking at all. No offense to her whatsoever, I do not want to come off acting like she was asking for this, but I think in all fairness to those involved, we should be able to figure out what happened.

Closure.

I saw the elevator video, and in my opinion she's high on dissociatives. Maybe cough syrup? I'm not sure if they'd test for DXM in the autopsy or not. If she is indeed high on them, they can often times make your body overheat. This would help explain why she would seek out water for a swim to cool off. Why her clothes would be in the tank is kinda sketch, and the only theory I have for the tank hatch being closed is someone else had to have closed it. Is it possible that somebody up to no good up there saw the hatch open, went to investigate, and when they saw the body they closed the hatch and got out of there? There are reasons a person who discovers a body wouldn't want to say anything, even if they're completely innocent.

The tank wasn't closed. The lid was off the tank when the maintenance man went to check why the water pressure was low; he's stated this.

News article about a lady who was missing could help explain this mystery. Bipolar kindergarten teacher found alive in field weeks after crash, "Officials said Tull allegedly hid in a water tank during the all-out search for her, confounding would-be rescuers because she didn't want to be found."

ok so ive watched the videos on you tube about Elisa Lam and I've got a couple questions. The water tank on the roof was probably pretty big to furnish water to the whole hotel, so the lid was probably very large and heavy too. I'm not familiar with how lids to water tanks work but it seems that it would be very hard to open the lid by yourself. If the coroner is saying she died a accidental drowning that means they found water in her lungs. So she was probably still alive when she entered the tank. First off, Elisa was a young petite woman, would she have been strong enough to open the lid on her own if she committed suicide? Secondly, how could ONE person carry a unconscious body, which is dead weight, up a ladder? In the video on you tube caught on the elevator cam it shows Elisa is clearly distracted as she keeps getting in and out of the elevator. Did she hear someone call to her? I'm thinking more than one killer.

would Elisa have been able to open the tank by herself? i dont know how these tanks work.

There were 4 water tanks. Elisa was found in one of them.

Yes, she would have been able to open the lid. None of the lids were able to be locked at the time of her death. The tank she entered had a completely flat surface to stand upon while removing the tank. This is California, so you wouldn't have to worry about the lids being "frozen." It would have maybe taken a tiny bit of elbow grease, at best, but she would have definitely been able.

Yes, they found water in her lungs. She definitely was alive when she entered the tank because the coroner's report said she died of something like "rapid/shock drowning."

Another question you would have to consider: how could someone fit an entirely limp body in that very small square opening without leaving any flesh, blood around the brim or any scrape marks on the body? It would have been impossible. The police had to cut a hole in the tank to remove the body because they couldn't remove it from the opening where she had entered; so it's safe to assume that inserting a limp body into that same opening would have been just as difficult (unless she was somehow bundled into a straight package, then dropped in, but she wasn't -- there was zero indication or evidence of such found inside the tank).

There were zero killers. Elisa didn't necessarily commit suicide. She suffered from a bi-polar episode. In the elevator video, she's being playful with herself and doesn't understand why the elevator won't move, so she enters and exits and moves her hand to try to trip the censor, etc., before giving up and casually wandering out of the elevator towards the stairs.

Yes, she would have been able to open the lid. None of the lids were able to be locked at the time of her death. The tank she entered had a completely flat surface to stand upon while removing the tank. This is California, so you wouldn't have to worry about the lids being "frozen." It would have maybe taken a tiny bit of elbow grease, at best, but she would have definitely been able.

Yes, they found water in her lungs. She definitely was alive when she entered the tank because the coroner's report said she died of something like "rapid/shock drowning."

Another question you would have to consider: how could someone fit an entirely limp body in that very small square opening without leaving any flesh, blood around the brim or any scrape marks on the body? It would have been impossible. The police had to cut a hole in the tank to remove the body because they couldn't remove it from the opening where she had entered; so it's safe to assume that inserting a limp body into that same opening would have been just as difficult (unless she was somehow bundled into a straight package, then dropped in, but she wasn't -- there was zero indication or evidence of such found inside the tank).

There were zero killers. Elisa didn't necessarily commit suicide. She suffered from a bi-polar episode. In the elevator video, she's being playful with herself and doesn't understand why the elevator won't move, so she enters and exits and moves her hand to try to trip the censor, etc., before giving up and casually wandering out of the elevator towards the stairs.

I concur 100%.
If the body was dumped in the tanks:
1) The killer(s) would have had to climb the ladder on top of the tanks with the victim, which (you can try this experiment at home) is HARD if not impossible, any way you try it.
2) The killer(s) had to risk being seen on the roof top with a dead/unconscious/semi-conscious body as there are taller buildings in the vicinity (a cursory search on google maps can verify this).
3) There must be some evidence (fingerprints, blood, skin scrapings) etc. near the tanks for such a physically challenging activity to have had happened. There was none.

There is no foul play here... just a tragic series of event which led to the loss of life of a young woman who so had much to live for.

I concur 100%.
If the body was dumped in the tanks:
1) The killer(s) would have had to climb the ladder on top of the tanks with the victim, which (you can try this experiment at home) is HARD if not impossible, any way you try it.
2) The killer(s) had to risk being seen on the roof top with a dead/unconscious/semi-conscious body as there are taller buildings in the vicinity (a cursory search on google maps can verify this).
3) There must be some evidence (fingerprints, blood, skin scrapings) etc. near the tanks for such a physically challenging activity to have had happened. There was none.

There is no foul play here... just a tragic series of event which led to the loss of life of a young woman who so had much to live for.

Exactly. Evidently, people simply love mysteries, and they want to believe this was some weird mystery, when it wasn't. It was a tragedy dealing with a highly intelligent girl who suffered a bi-polar episode. There is an answer for many things that people think are suspicious, and many of these "documentaries" on youtube use false information either purposefully or ignorantly. For example, people thought there was a conspiracy because a minute or so elapsed in the elevator video after EL had already exited -- so they automatically assumed this part of the video showed the "killer" and was purposefully omitted, when in fact, it simply showed other residents (i.e. innocent bystanders) boarding the elevator sometime after, that had absolutely nothing to do with EL, and the video was elapsed in order to protect their privacy, as is standard police procedure.

I'm actually writing a book about this case and am interested in your perspective on it. While I disagree about the conclusion of water in her lungs (having interviewed an independent forensics expert) I'm curious as to where you found the quote about "rapid/shock drowning." I don't remember seeing that.

I'm actually writing a book about this case and am interested in your perspective on it. While I disagree about the conclusion of water in her lungs (having interviewed an independent forensics expert) I'm curious as to where you found the quote about "rapid/shock drowning." I don't remember seeing that.
nothing about it in the autopsy.. pages 1, 10 and 15 only list drowning, page 15 checks it off as accidental

File preview EL autopsy.pdf - Page 1/27

Why do you disagree with the conclusion of water in her lungs? Her death was listed as drowning. Are you implying the original forensic expert forged the cause of death? Honest question.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back