GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
SS has reached out to someone in China ? London? or is he being sarcastic?

Interesting...
"GONE COLD | The murders at Lake Oconee: 4 years later elderly couple’s son opens up"

https://www.12newsnow.com/article/n...ter-elderly-couples-son-opens-up/85-548449019

Thanks for posting this.

The video that accompanied the article confirmed my belief that the family was not involved.

In the article, it mentioned MrD's finger being injured. Was this disproved because of a previous injury from years back? I don't recall anything before about strands of her hair being found in his blood. Is that new info?

When Russell’s body was found in the couple’s garage, his finger had a severe wound, Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills said. Tangled within his blood, they found strands of Shirley’s hair.
“It would appear that there was a struggle and dad was trying to be protective of mom,” Brad surmised.

Thanks for posting this.

The video that accompanied the article confirmed my belief that the family was not involved.

In the article, it mentioned MrD's finger being injured. Was this disproved because of a previous injury from years back? I don't recall anything before about strands of her hair being found in his blood. Is that new info?

I don't know about the finger injury. It sounds like this was a new injury. Or maybe it was the old injury and because of all the blood, SS thought it was a fresh wound? Yeah, that's weird! The hair is new, or at least I never heard Shirley's hair was in the blood. First we have heard of a struggle too and possibly Mr. D protecting Mrs. D. I hope we get to see SS's interview on Sunday.

“I have utilized the resources of the FBI, and I found somebody in China,” Sills said. “I've reached out to London on the case.”

But he hasn't reached out to Georgia's own lead enforcement agency.

“I’ve never asked the GBI to assist me in any investigation," Sills said.

So, why won’t Sheriff Sills do it?

China? Wow! Wasn't the neighbor away that weekend overseas somewhere? China maybe? Asia for sure.

I gotta wonder if Mr. D bought cucumbers and bread because Mrs. D was going to make finger sandwiches for the Derby Party. Probably not. Big shin dig like that was probably catered. Maybe she was going to bring cucumber sandwiches to the bridge game Tuesday. I still think about that party. It's sad the D's never made it. Hard to believe it is 4 years now.

https://www.12newsnow.com/article/n...ter-elderly-couples-son-opens-up/85-548449019

I don't know about the finger injury. It sounds like this was a new injury. Or maybe it was the old injury and because of all the blood, SS thought it was a fresh wound? Yeah, that's weird! The hair is new, or at least I never heard Shirley's hair was in the blood. First we have heard of a struggle too and possibly Mr. D protecting Mrs. D. I hope we get to see SS's interview on Sunday.

China? Wow! Wasn't the neighbor away that weekend overseas somewhere? China maybe? Asia for sure.

I gotta wonder if Mr. D bought cucumbers and bread because Mrs. D was going to make finger sandwiches for the Derby Party. Probably not. Big shin dig like that was probably catered. Maybe she was going to bring cucumber sandwiches to the bridge game Tuesday. I still think about that party. It's sad the D's never made it. Hard to believe it is 4 years now.

Maybe SS was trying to reach neighbor off in Asia/China to find out who may have been working in their yard? Wasn't there something about voices being heard by someone?

I haven’t commented on this case in years but I’ve been following from the beginning.

We’ve always known SS knows much more than has been released publicly and I even think that what he has said isn’t completely true. Hearing that there may have been a struggle makes it even more difficult for me to believe there was nothing disturbed in the home other than a lampshade. There’s just no way, IMO. I think it also rules out that Russell was completely caught off guard or surprised in the garage and that Shirley may have stumbled in on the murder. IMO, both were the targets.

And tiptoeing very carefully here, I think the son’s interview raises more questions about the family than it answers.

Peppery I agree Brad came off as if he knew he was being tested by SS and he passed. He kind of bragged about it if you ask me. 4 years it took for someone in the family to comment about this and this is all we got? If I finally let the anger out i'd most certainly at least look really pissed off brad did not. I know they read the forum and he probably thought it was time to put up a wall between the family and the killers. Asia the neighbor was only on vacation that's a long vacation ( 4 years) Plenty of time SS had to question the neighbor and the neighbor was probably questioned thoroughly the 1st week. SS is hiding a major clue and has lied to the public every time he has spoken about this case. He knows what day they were killed and he knows what weapons were used. I can see why he isn't telling the public what really happened but don't lie about it. Seems like this was done on the property and I doubt they cleaned up so well that there was no evidence left behind. If there was a struggle a quick swab under fingernails would probably hold some evidence. You cant struggle with someone and not collect some evidence on your person from the assaulters.

There was a dna match and it's family but being family they can explain why which makes the case almost impossible to win in court. There's no way the dna SS says he has never got a hit in the system. Sunday SS better have a good update but i'm doubtful since he has lied to us many times over the years. This should have been solved 3 years ago. Nobody kills people almost in their 90's and doesn't rob their home of something. This was rage or revenge and the only people who would have rage against these quiet elderly people must be very close to them. SS has been reading this board and if you read his updates he either answers some of the things we question on here or steers us away from some ideas we have heck he even mentioned this board once by saying some people out there think"

Peppery I agree Brad came off as if he knew he was being tested by SS and he passed. He kind of bragged about it if you ask me. 4 years it took for someone in the family to comment about this and this is all we got? If I finally let the anger out i'd most certainly at least look really pissed off brad did not. I know they read the forum and he probably thought it was time to put up a wall between the family and the killers. Asia the neighbor was only on vacation that's a long vacation ( 4 years) Plenty of time SS had to question the neighbor and the neighbor was probably questioned thoroughly the 1st week. SS is hiding a major clue and has lied to the public every time he has spoken about this case. He knows what day they were killed and he knows what weapons were used. I can see why he isn't telling the public what really happened but don't lie about it. Seems like this was done on the property and I doubt they cleaned up so well that there was no evidence left behind. If there was a struggle a quick swab under fingernails would probably hold some evidence. You cant struggle with someone and not collect some evidence on your person from the assaulters.

Exactly! My first thought upon hearing Mrs. D's hairs were found in Mr. D's blood in the garage was there must have been a struggle and surely the fingernails were tested for DNA. Two weeks was a long time for Mrs. D to be under water, but I also wondered if DNA might have remained under the nails.

I have been thinking that maybe a friend came over and he and Russell were hanging out in the garage. They argue and this "friend" shoots Russell with his antique gun he carries. Then to hide his murder he kills Shirley and hides her body so people will think Shirley had something to do with the murder. He then removes Russell's head to get rid of the bullet that could point to him.

There is one man who lived near the Dermonds who carred a gun and killed his wife. This man and his wife were in the same age and social group as the Dermonds. This one man spoke up about the murders and has a brazen personality. Would it be a big stretch to think he could have murdered the Dermonds?
https://www.myajc.com/news/crime--l...ounds-georgia-sheriff/FfLXS5am2RgITlUbahtphO/

I have been thinking that maybe a friend came over and he and Russell were hanging out in the garage. They argue and this "friend" shoots Russell with his antique gun he carries. Then to hide his murder he kills Shirley and hides her body so people will think Shirley had something to do with the murder. He then removes Russell's head to get rid of the bullet that could point to him.

There is one man who lived near the Dermonds who carred a gun and killed his wife. This man and his wife were in the same age and social group as the Dermonds. This one man spoke up about the murders and has a brazen personality. Would it be a big stretch to think he could have murdered the Dermonds?
https://www.myajc.com/news/crime--l...ounds-georgia-sheriff/FfLXS5am2RgITlUbahtphO/

Good thoughts! That man fits into my theory of a loan that Mr. D made and the person didn't want to repay the money, so he killed them. I do like what SS said in this article:

“A professional killer shoots you in the head and leaves,” Sills said. “They don’t tote (a body) five miles down the lake and run the risk of someone seeing all that.”

Was there or was there not gunshot residue (GSR) on Mr. D's shoulders? SS needs to answer this question (Can he give a straightforward answer??) Can GSR be detected when there was most likely saturated blood on shoulders/clothing? I have been unable to find this out for a fact. I think that it can be. If there was GSR on Mr. D, this would prove tht he was shot at close range. Although the murders were very well planned, the murderers did not anticipate the bullet lodging in his skull without exiting. There has never been any question in my mind as to Mr. D's head being removed as the weapon used my be traceable to one of the murderers by ballistics.
Heard right from the very beginning from a personal associate of SS that the cause of death for Mr. D was a gunshot wound to the head as determined by the presence of GSR on Mr. Dermond. IIRC, the Coroner stated that the cause of death was gunshot wound to the head, which was retracted almost immediately.
SS is an incompetent arrogant pompous blowhard IMHO. Guarding this case like a greedy dog guards a bone - so afraid someone else will get credit for solving the case. And because of SS, it may never be solved..
I did a whole lot of research at beginning of this case. I truly believe that it may involve someone who everyone who has been researching this case is familiar with. He injected himslef blatantly into the media coverage right from the very beginning. Common tactic of the guilty. The family and/or residents of the area need to demand that a competent experienced LE investigator (at least ONE) take a look at the case IMHO.
I remember something about a hurt finger on Mr. D, but can't remember anything other than it came up in case. As far ase the landscapers, I remember that it was stated that there was a language barrier but nothing deemed important came of their interviews.
Great to see that y'all intelligent sleuths who miss nothing are still on the case!

Dermond meme 147 Carolyn Dr.  Parks Mill Buckhead.jpg

I don’t remember seeing this article before, lots of fluff and fawning over SS here, but there is some info on Mr. Dermond’s finger injury. And some other interesting tidbits.

IIRC, Mr. D was identified immediately in news reports. IMO, I’d think the children of the homeowner would have been notified and interviewed within hours. Why would SS think Mr. D had been tortured after speaking with LP? He suspected there had been torture for weeks when the finger injury had already been “explained”? Doesn’t add up to me.

“Another detail Sills kept under wraps during those first weeks was that authorities thought Russ Dermond had been tortured. The tip of one of his index fingers was smooshed, as if in a vise. But in helping identify her father by phone, Leslie Patton told Sills the flattened finger was a World War II injury.”

—————
The original 911 call from the neighbor who found Mr. D was highly inaccurate. The man said there were bodies all over the house. WHAT could possibly make him say that if he walked into a pristine and immaculately clean and well-cared for home with no disturbances until he went in the garage? SOMETHING led him to believe that and IMO, there WAS some evidence or mess in the house. It doesn’t make sense for him to say that otherwise.
“A deputy leaned into Sills’s office. There were bodies all over the house.”

——————
“One of the couple’s nearest neighbors, next to a vacant lakefront lot that has belonged to R.E.M. bassist Mike Mills since the 1990s, was out of the country in Turkey. Her house sitter hadn’t seen anything unusual. Nor had residents in another cul-de-sac across the cove.”

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/grea...-county-sheriff-howard-sills-chases-a-killer/

Was there or was there not gunshot residue (GSR) on Mr. D's shoulders? SS needs to answer this question (Can he give a straightforward answer??) Can GSR be detected when there was most likely saturated blood on shoulders/clothing? I have been unable to find this out for a fact. I think that it can be. If there was GSR on Mr. D, this would prove tht he was shot at close range. Although the murders were very well planned, the murderers did not anticipate the bullet lodging in his skull without exiting. There has never been any question in my mind as to Mr. D's head being removed as the weapon used my be traceable to one of the murderers by ballistics.
Heard right from the very beginning from a personal associate of SS that the cause of death for Mr. D was a gunshot wound to the head as determined by the presence of GSR on Mr. Dermond. IIRC, the Coroner stated that the cause of death was gunshot wound to the head, which was retracted almost immediately.
SS is an incompetent arrogant pompous blowhard IMHO. Guarding this case like a greedy dog guards a bone - so afraid someone else will get credit for solving the case. And because of SS, it may never be solved..
I did a whole lot of research at beginning of this case. I truly believe that it may involve someone who everyone who has been researching this case is familiar with. He injected himslef blatantly into the media coverage right from the very beginning. Common tactic of the guilty. The family and/or residents of the area need to demand that a competent experienced LE investigator (at least ONE) take a look at the case IMHO.
I remember something about a hurt finger on Mr. D, but can't remember anything other than it came up in case. As far ase the landscapers, I remember that it was stated that there was a language barrier but nothing deemed important came of their interviews.
Great to see that y'all intelligent sleuths who miss nothing are still on the case!

View attachment 133849

I agree that SS needs to tell if there was gunshot residue. Don't think that would hurt this stalled investigation. I mean many have hypothesized from the beginning that Mr. D was indeed shot and the head removed to hide the evidence. Which makes me think that whomever did this wanted to keep their gun, or the stolen gun.

I don't know if anyone saw the 20/20 (I think it was 20/20) episode a week or so ago that featured Tex McIver. Anyway, SS was interviewed regarding TM and wife. He spoke very highly of TM - go figure. He was interviewed in his office or there was a shot of him in his office and he has those big file boxes stacked up in his office. I imagine they were for the Dermond case. I wish he could have slipped in a word about the Dermonds' case.

I don’t remember seeing this article before, lots of fluff and fawning over SS here, but there is some info on Mr. Dermond’s finger injury. And some other interesting tidbits.

IIRC, Mr. D was identified immediately in news reports. IMO, I’d think the children of the homeowner would have been notified and interviewed within hours. Why would SS think Mr. D had been tortured after speaking with LP? He suspected there had been torture for weeks when the finger injury had already been “explained”? Doesn’t add up to me.

“Another detail Sills kept under wraps during those first weeks was that authorities thought Russ Dermond had been tortured. The tip of one of his index fingers was smooshed, as if in a vise. But in helping identify her father by phone, Leslie Patton told Sills the flattened finger was a World War II injury.”

—————
The original 911 call from the neighbor who found Mr. D was highly inaccurate. The man said there were bodies all over the house. WHAT could possibly make him say that if he walked into a pristine and immaculately clean and well-cared for home with no disturbances until he went in the garage? SOMETHING led him to believe that and IMO, there WAS some evidence or mess in the house. It doesn’t make sense for him to say that otherwise.
“A deputy leaned into Sills’s office. There were bodies all over the house.”

——————
“One of the couple’s nearest neighbors, next to a vacant lakefront lot that has belonged to R.E.M. bassist Mike Mills since the 1990s, was out of the country in Turkey. Her house sitter hadn’t seen anything unusual. Nor had residents in another cul-de-sac across the cove.”

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/grea...-county-sheriff-howard-sills-chases-a-killer/

Turkey? And I have read the article before, but I sure didn't remember Turkey.

The 911 call was strange in that they said bodies. Maybe they said bodies to put an even more sense of urgency about the case. I mean I would have probably blurted out that I had found a headless body in the throws of a full-blown panic attack. Then again, I found it strange that the brother-in-law referred to the couple as grandpa and grandma. Seems like they would have been papa and mama or dad and mom. I'm probably nitpicking.

Turkey? And I have read the article before, but I sure didn't remember Turkey.

The 911 call was strange in that they said bodies. Maybe they said bodies to put an even more sense of urgency about the case. I mean I would have probably blurted out that I had found a headless body in the throws of a full-blown panic attack. Then again, I found it strange that the brother-in-law referred to the couple as grandpa and grandma. Seems like they would have been papa and mama or dad and mom. I'm probably nitpicking.
If they saw his body they probably thought hers was there also.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don't know if anyone saw the 20/20 (I think it was 20/20) episode a week or so ago that featured Tex McIver. Anyway, SS was interviewed regarding TM and wife. He spoke very highly of TM - go figure. He was interviewed in his office or there was a shot of him in his office and he has those big file boxes stacked up in his office. I imagine they were for the Dermond case. I wish he could have slipped in a word about the Dermonds' case.

Oh yes, I saw the media version of the McIver case on 20/20 (or was it Dateline?) Many things that I did not know were reported, and it was well done. However, I wonder how much of it was really true. I know that SS was full of it on that show, and I can no longer be silent about him.
That is one reason I am finally so down on incompetent arrogant SS is the false self-serving stupid statements he made with such authority on that show.

For instance, SS said that many people in Georgia have 35 guns. BS. I have lived in Atlanta/Georgia my whole life. and I know NO ONE (who is sane) that has anywhere near 35 guns!
I am sure y'all know about gun-crazy McIver shooting into the car of young men in 1990. He got away with it after only paying for the damage the gunshots did to the car. Here's a link if you have not.

"Details emerge in 1990 McIver shooting"
https://www.myajc.com/news/breaking-news/details-emerge-1990-mciver-shooting/LYLrAk9e7XBmiMc3LQZ8YN/

Also, EVERYONE in Atlanta (and perhaps all of Georgia) knows that Grady Hospital is THE Level 1 trauma center for Georgia. Everyone. SS said that Grady was an "indigent" hospital and that's why McIver went to Emory Hospital - in an absolute emergency situation where minutes count?. How stupid.
Also SS is also most likely ignorant (as he seems to be about most things) that Grady Hospital is the teaching hospital for Emory University School of Medicine as well.
And he makes all of these stupid false statements as if he is a reliable authority and they are intelligent truth. ENOUGH!!!
Additionally, SS also tries to give impression that he has been involved in many murder investigations. Also a lie. Until the recent murder of 2 Corrections Officers (I believe that was the same Georgia county), SS had been involved in 3 murders in about 15 years I think, and none of those were exactly whodunits. And also as if investigative skills and experience with new forensic and technological advances do not occur and are not critical in murder investigations and that one's abilities do not decrease without use over the years.
Just had to finally tell the truth as I am fed up and angry about the mishandling of the D case!

I keep thinking about the interview recently with Brad finally speaking about the murder of his parents. 4 years after the gruesome murder of his parents and he finally speaks? Sorry but I've said it before and i'll say it again if my parents were murdered i'd be screaming for answers and given how this investigation has gone nowhere i'd be demanding this case be looked at by another department. Being as quiet as they have been seems suspicious to me. Nobody can be that level headed after a elderly parent was beheaded and another beaten to death and thrown in the river. SS not getting the public involved tells me he either knows who did this but can't prove it or he really isn't that good of a detective. A good detective would want this in the public eye so someone would eventually come forward with a tip. Commenting on the case once a year does nothing as far as letting people know you're still working the case, this gives the killers a sigh of relief knowing this case won't be solved. I know SS reads this thread and i'm sure this sunday in his interview he will mention this thread in some sneaky comment.

SS it's been 4 years time to come clean and lay the cards on the table . He mentioned he has all forms of evidence so i'd like to know the results he got from the system when he ran those prints or dna . He knows a tighter timeline for the murder than what he tells us. He knows what weapons were used and how many people were in the house because I know they got foot prints they couldn't have cleaned up that well. The killers definitely made mistakes and with todays technology and police department and with the help of the feds caught those mistakes. I think he has a suspect but just can't prove it was that suspect. I hope someone posts a link to his interview i'm curious to hear him dodge the hard questions. As always i'm sure this interview will be done by a friend of his as the many times in the past. He's controlling the flow of info and will throw out a little nugget of info which will probably be untrue.

Where in the criminal law code does it state that law enforcement has to tell the public anything. I would let people think I was dumb AF if it meant it would help me catch someone. I wouldnt say a damn thing. Ever. Until you were hearing the "clink" of the handcuffs. Also, Anyone who could take down a cult with all of the laws protecting them is brilliant. How do I know? Because I was part of one and I KNOW how slick the leaders are and how they use the law in their favor. They are like mercury to catch. I would not be so quick to think he doesn't know exactly who did this. And yes....VERY hard to prove this case even if you do know who did it. The burden of proof is on the State of GA at this point.

There was a dna match and it's family but being family they can explain why which makes the case almost impossible to win in court. There's no way the dna SS says he has never got a hit in the system. Sunday SS better have a good update but i'm doubtful since he has lied to us many times over the years. This should have been solved 3 years ago. Nobody kills people almost in their 90's and doesn't rob their home of something. This was rage or revenge and the only people who would have rage against these quiet elderly people must be very close to them. SS has been reading this board and if you read his updates he either answers some of the things we question on here or steers us away from some ideas we have heck he even mentioned this board once by saying some people out there think"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288