SOUTH AFRICA - Marie Ostbo, 21, Sedgefield, Norwegian student, 18 Apr 2018

[FONT=&quot]"Marie arrived in Sedgefield, as part of a tour, at 17.30 on Wednesday 18 April. The group was due to stay at Afrovibe Back Packers near Myoli Beach. At approximately 18.10 a couple who were part of the tour, went for a walk on the beach, followed five minutes later, by Marie, who was walking alone.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As the wind was already blowing, the couple decided to head back fairly soon. They passed some way behind Marie who was sitting on the sand, facing the sea, but did not stop to call her. As they went up the dune they turned to take a photograph of her from the back. This was the last picture taken of the Norwegian girl before her disappearance".[/FONT]

Something about this part doesn't sit right with me. Why wouldn't they let her know they were leaving? And why did they take the pic of her from the back?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

[FONT=&quot]"Marie arrived in Sedgefield, as part of a tour, at 17.30 on Wednesday 18 April. The group was due to stay at Afrovibe Back Packers near Myoli Beach. At approximately 18.10 a couple who were part of the tour, went for a walk on the beach, followed five minutes later, by Marie, who was walking alone.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As the wind was already blowing, the couple decided to head back fairly soon. They passed some way behind Marie who was sitting on the sand, facing the sea, but did not stop to call her. As they went up the dune they turned to take a photograph of her from the back. This was the last picture taken of the Norwegian girl before her disappearance".[/FONT]

Something about this part doesn't sit right with me. Why wouldn't they let her know they were leaving? And why did they take the pic of her from the back?

Maybe, they thought a picture of her looking at the ocean was a pretty shot. And perhaps they thought she knew they were headed back when they passed her? Since she was part of a tour group, and not with friends/family, maybe they didn't feel obligated to tell her? That sounds callous probably, but maybe they just figured she would be right behind them or that the beach wasn't dangerous?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Maybe, they thought a picture of her looking at the ocean was a pretty shot. And perhaps they thought she knew they were headed back when they passed her? Since she was part of a tour group, and not with friends/family, maybe they didn't feel obligated to tell her? That sounds callous probably, but maybe they just figured she would be right behind them or that the beach wasn't dangerous?

I was under the impression that she knew the students that she was traveling with.

I was under the impression that she knew the students that she was traveling with.

The stories I've read have said "tour group," which could indicate she didn't know the people she was with or at least didn't know them well and I've read stories saying she was with "friends."

There's not a lot of information out there about her group or the relationships. It just seems weird to me that a 21 one year old on tour with friends would prefer to leave the group and sit on the beach alone. I know not everyone wants to socialize in the same way, but as a young woman on vacation, doesnt it strike you strange that she prefered to be alone? What do you think?

I have been to Sedgefield. As SA towns go, this is relatively safe. Naturally, anywhere in SA, as anywhere in the world, you are never completely safe and must always be careful. I can see a female tourist alone on the beach being victims of a robbery or a rape but an abduction would be pretty unusual. It was cold and windy. Would be abductors would be unlikely to find a victim there and if they just happened to be there, abducting someone would involve forcing them to go from the beach to where ever their vehicle was parked and then driving to wherever they were going to go. I would expect somebody to notice something, especially if the abducted were black and the victim white.

I was there in the spring. The weather was nice but the ocean was pretty rough and cold. I can’t see anyone alone going swimming there in late autumn in very bad weather. It would be foolhardy. She was not dressed for swimming and she didn’t leave her cloths on the beach.

In California, we sometimes have what we call rouge waves where one wave will come further up the beach than expected. People have been washed out to sea and never found. I wonder if this is what could have happened. Is it possible that she walked very close to where the waves were breaking and was swept away?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those are helpful observations from kemo.

Latest reports indicate the bad weather conditions —- unlikely she deliberately went into the water. At first I thought she may have taken her shoes off and walked at the edge, but I no longer feel that happened. The only thing that makes sense for an accident is if, as kemo said, she walked too close and a rogue wave caught her. Although I honestly believe she was likely being cautious and this would surprise me.

As a tour, she may not have known her companions, though if several from one of her classes were also on tour, then surely she knew some of the group, if not well ...? I wonder if any of the other tour companions have spoken publicly.

no comments have (to me) indicated any strangers in the area, or other out-of-the-ordinary happenings. No indication anyone else from the group who may have followed her and perhaps pushed her into the water somehow, etc. nothing to give a strong indication of kidnap.

So little we know... :tears:

So happy to see some one from the area where she went missing is here, Dr. J. Bell! I'm in Norway, where her family is. Her father posted a news article today, and he says that there have been many news articles with wrong information, but he says this article has everything right.
So many people think she went for a swim, but it was bad weather and she was wearing a top and trousers.

http://www.edgecommunitynews.co.za/no-sign-of-missing-marie/

I have read so many comments on the news articles, and many say that she probably was abducted, but that the officials will not look that way because it will be bad for tourism. I can not imagine how it must be for her father to not know what has happened to her.

So glad to have a correct sequence of events. There are still a lot of holes which is bothering me. For example, why did it take so many hours to find the cap, shoes and phone (plus, who did the cap belong to?). If you walked onto the beach, you'd be able to spot said items fairly easily if they had been left where she was last seen sitting. Where were they found exactly?

I also feel she may have been meeting someone, sitting alone on the beach, or maybe she was chatting to someone and wanted some privacy. She could have met a local, or another backpacker, or even someone in her group.

I really can't see anyone being swept away. We don't really get high waves even when the wind is raging but the current is strong so I wouldn't see her going into the water for a dip, or even to paddle. She strikes me as a smart young woman who wouldn't risk being swept out.

There is so much missing from all this, which is very frustrating.
My friend and I are trying to pull some cash together to go stay at the backpackers and do some interviews (staff, locals, etc). We are also reaching out to the first responders and journalists who wrote articles on the case.

As a side note, crimes spike when it is very windy because it provides the perfect cover. Everything is muffled.
She could have been pulled into the bushes and dunes and screamed but no one would have heard anything. Plus the wind shifts everything, removing evidence of any sort of foul play. Though the problem here is, from there, where did she/they go?

We are trying to find theories that could fit but there's a lot of data still missing.

SEARCH FOR MISSING NORWEGIAN STUDENT CALLED OFF

CAPE TOWN - Police have called off the search for a Norwegian student who went missing in Sedgefield nearly three weeks ago.

[...]

http://ewn.co.za/2018/05/07/search-for-missing-norwegian-student-called-off

Oh jeez ... :tears: This is terrible news. My heart is breaking for her family/friends.

I hope the investigation is not over, too. Surely they will keep trying to find her ... ? They must be assuming she was washed out to sea. That’s all I can fathom from this. I do believe something bad happened, but I could never give up. What is left that the family can do now?

MissEhrmann, have you heard anything new that is encouraging? How is the family holding up? Anything?

My anger and frustration with regards to the reporting on this case reached it's peak today when I figured out why I couldn't find the beach on Google Maps when I searched again and again for it. Turns out, not a single reporter corrected the name of the beach which has been misspelled!

Once I confirmed the area I had been looking at was in fact the beach she had gone missing, it confirmed what I had feared. The massive amount of open land and dunes are a prime spot for an attack. Of course, we are all hoping for the best outcome but I do not for a second believe this girl drowned and I do believe her disappearance is being downplayed because of the stigma South Africa has with regards to crime and how desperate the government is to keep the tourism industry alive.

Unfortunately, living here, I can say I really have no faith in our law enforcement and now I have very little respect for the journalists who 'covered' this story.

I have posted the map images and the misspelling below. What do you guys think?

A few other ambiguous details are bothering me as well. Where had she and her friend been before arriving at the backpackers? Was she with the tour before this destination? Had she been to SA before? Was this her first time? Did she know anyone locally?
The two men in the footage, how were they cleared? Did they have a solid story? Did they happen to see her or anyone/thing suspicious? Who's cap was found with her belongings? Where were her belongings found?
I'd like to exhaust every theory and lead possible before I even consider drowning.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 248
  • Google.jpg
    Google.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 244
  • SatMap.jpg
    SatMap.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 246
  • SatMap2.jpg
    SatMap2.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 243
I don't recall following a case in South Africa before, though it is possible. for some reason, I seem to recall that they are not the best help when it comes to tourist deaths and following up on an investigation. I hope I am remembering wrong, but it seems to fit with what you said, Dr. J Bell.

I feel so helpless ..

Hi everyone!

I just joined Websleuths all the way here in South Africa. Not long ago I started following the Marie Ostbo case and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but according to a local radio station the police have decided to call of the search for Marie Ostbo.

http://www.kfm.co.za/articles/2018/05/07/search-for-missing-norwegian-student-called-off

After all the misinformation that has spread about this case, I feel that the police are trying to sweep this under the rug.

I don't recall following a case in South Africa before, though it is possible. for some reason, I seem to recall that they are not the best help when it comes to tourist deaths and following up on an investigation. I hope I am remembering wrong, but it seems to fit with what you said, Dr. J Bell.

I feel so helpless ..

Sadly you are 100% correct.
I once walked in on a robbery in my house (thankfully they were unarmed). When they took a runner, I chased them and got a detailed description of their car (no licence plate). The car was a white Opel Cub that looked like it had been painted in white house paint and the left tail light was broken. I gave that to the armed response team who took off to look for it. When I gave that to the police (they finally arrived 5 hours later) they told me they couldn't use that information. They also stepped in the footprints they left behind. The detective came the next day and told me he couldn't get prints off of anything (including the window and a few items that I had left for them to take prints from because I could see some beautiful ones left behind).
Then they tell my mother that because they didn't get everything they wanted they will probably come back. (They didn't thankfully).

So, in a quite area like Knysna I really have no faith at all.
I've found with the law enforcement in this country there is a 'What's the point' attitude.

I feel so helpless too, especially since the area is a 5 hour drive away. If I had the cash and means to go today, I would but our trip will be asap.

From the very second I started reading the article about this case in the Weekend Argus, my gut went straight to another story...

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...ted-in-kzn-kidnapping-terrorism-case-20180227

I can't help but feel that case has had a massive impact on the focus of Marie Ostbo and I can't help but feel they don't want to draw attention and speculation about her disappearance. I think they would like it to go away as quickly as possible. The above case had a massive blow to our tourism with Australia quickly warning people not to come here as crime is running rampant and the UK issuing a terror alert.

Thoughts?

Hi everyone!

I just joined Websleuths all the way here in South Africa. Not long ago I started following the Marie Ostbo case and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but according to a local radio station the police have decided to call of the search for Marie Ostbo.

http://www.kfm.co.za/articles/2018/05/07/search-for-missing-norwegian-student-called-off

After all the misinformation that has spread about this case, I feel that the police are trying to sweep this under the rug.

Glad to have you join us, LadyPoison,
Yes we just heard the disturbing news and are devastated. Thank you for sharing it again — unfortunately there is very little info in the articles. Seems they will just give up :tears:

Sadly you are 100% correct.
I once walked in on a robbery in my house (thankfully they were unarmed). When they took a runner, I chased them and got a detailed description of their car (no licence plate). The car was a white Opel Cub that looked like it had been painted in white house paint and the left tail light was broken. I gave that to the armed response team who took off to look for it. When I gave that to the police (they finally arrived 5 hours later) they told me they couldn't use that information. They also stepped in the footprints they left behind. The detective came the next day and told me he couldn't get prints off of anything (including the window and a few items that I had left for them to take prints from because I could see some beautiful ones left behind).
Then they tell my mother that because they didn't get everything they wanted they will probably come back. (They didn't thankfully).

So, in a quite area like Knysna I really have no faith at all.
I've found with the law enforcement in this country there is a 'What's the point' attitude.

I feel so helpless too, especially since the area is a 5 hour drive away. If I had the cash and means to go today, I would but our trip will be asap.

OMG .. that is terrible to read.

May I ask a personal question: Do you normally feel safe where you are at? Here, some burglaries go unsolved and often with little investigation, but overall we don’t feel unsafe. Crimes have been increasing here, though.

From the very second I started reading the article about this case in the Weekend Argus, my gut went straight to another story...

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...ted-in-kzn-kidnapping-terrorism-case-20180227

I can't help but feel that case has had a massive impact on the focus of Marie Ostbo and I can't help but feel they don't want to draw attention and speculation about her disappearance. I think they would like it to go away as quickly as possible. The above case had a massive blow to our tourism with Australia quickly warning people not to come here as crime is running rampant and the UK issuing a terror alert.

Thoughts?

So do I understand correctly? you feel this other investigation took their time away from working on Marie’s disappearance? Wouldn't they want disappearances or murders of visitors solved in order to maintain their tourism? At least they appear to have worked on the kidnapping angle of this couple. Would they arrest a wrong person just to have a “capture”?

And now other countries are issuing warnings to not go there. Serious stuff.

OMG .. that is terrible to read.

May I ask a personal question: Do you normally feel safe where you are at? Here, some burglaries go unsolved and often with little investigation, but overall we don’t feel unsafe. Crimes have been increasing here, though.

I currently live in a highly secure complex with 24 hour security and I live on the 3rd floor. I've also spent the majority of my life acquiring a variety of skills, including, martial arts, weapons training, survival techniques, stunt driving and self-defense and am not one to shy away from danger. If I hadn't, no I would not feel safe as a woman living on my own. I feel secure in my complex with my various training skills but when I lived in the city, I never felt safe.

So do I understand correctly? you feel this other investigation took their time away from working on Marie’s disappearance? Wouldn't they want disappearances or murders of visitors solved in order to maintain their tourism? At least they appear to have worked on the kidnapping angle of this couple. Would they arrest a wrong person just to have a “capture”?

And now other countries are issuing warnings to not go there. Serious stuff.

No no, my theory/feeling is that Marie's disappearance happened fairly soon after the kidnapping case blew up and all the negativity fell on South Africa. Our economy isn't doing well and a massive part of it is reliant on tourism, especially in the Western Cape. So I feel like they've downplayed Marie's story and tried not to draw too much attention to it, which is why it feels very much like a lot has been dismissed, swept under the rug or ignored.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back