GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the latest SS interview with Inside Edition, (the transcription of the interview is in the media thread), SS stated: "We know of nothing of any great value that was taken. There was no evidence of a struggle and quite candidly we can't really say that the murders occurred there. We think he was shot in the head because we developed some gunshot residue on his shirt that he was wearing."

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...ks***NO-DISCUSSION***&p=14104028#post14104028)

The way he worded this statement: "we know of nothing of great value that was taken" leads me to believe that maybe something was taken, just not of much monetary value.

I'm going to listen to BD's interview again because he makes some statements that are contrary to what we have been led to believe by SS such as SS stating such as no evidence of a struggle.

If this was an extortion attempt, which SS said in the beginning that he suspected as much, someone was expecting to hit the mother lode and it just wasn't the case. Apparently Mr. & Mrs. D wrote checks or used credit cards for every purchase and there was no cash in the home.

Did he check the local ATMs CCTV footage for that Friday and Saturday? I'm sure he did, but still there seems to be a huge gap in what SS knows and what he is sharing with the public. I know in the beginning of the case someone went into the local waffle house and asked if they had cameras. If something was taken, even if not much monetary value, that is still a clue and, in my opinion, a huge clue. I'm sort of leaning toward if anything was taken, it could have been a gun that was owned by Mr. D and the same gun with which he was shot. Still, as TCL has stated, and which I wholeheartedly agree, any type of beheading or dismemberment of a body is messy and it's something that would take some time. What type of person does that?

Again, SS talks like there was no evidence of blood splatter found anywhere in the home - even in the garage - which BD seems to contradict because SS showed him the crime scene and BD even speculated it was to get some type of reaction from him. Going to stick with my guns on this and say Mr. D was killed in the garage and there wasn't much blood splatter because the gun caliber was small and it didn't exit Mr. D's head. But to then take Mrs. D away from the home and murder her with blunt force trauma to the head does seem to suggest more than one killer. And if they walked her to a boat, they certainly didn't want to use a gun because as Hockey Guy stated, someone would have heard the shot.

I do believe the perpetrators attempted to make this look like a "professional" hit, but they did some things wrong. I do believe the home was very neat and tidy. And the lamp shade that was tilted, another poster had a theory that Mrs. D could have tilted the lamp shade herself when she worked her crossword puzzles for better lighting. Makes perfect sense to me and in that case someone very close to the D's knew that Mrs. D would tilt that lamp shade and that's why they didn't bother to "straighten" the lamp shade.

The garage is a different matter. I think SS knows exactly what went down in the garage or very close to the garage and I think he knows if the killers came by boat or car, but it's obvious he is not going to give us that information.

One person could have done this using a gun. Tied and gagged Mrs. D and made her walk to the boat.

Yes, definitely. He could have shot Mr.D in the garage, came back in the house took care of Mrs. D, then came back and cut off Mr. D's head.

Yes, definitely. He could have shot Mr.D in the garage, came back in the house took care of Mrs. D, then came back and cut off Mr. D's head.

This does make sense because I don't think whomever this was would have tried to cut off Mr. D's head immediately after shooting him. However, if I do think the killer returned to the home, then he must have come by vehicle ? or lived close by within walking distance.

Good points but I noticed one theory that didn't add up. If the killer used a gun Mr D owned he really wouldn't have to worry about beheading him to recover the bullet all he had to do was take the gun and destroy it later or toss it in the lake or some other lake. Too many things point to this being someone close to the elder Dermonds. Remember an up close murder represents rage or revenge and considering the victims were mid to late 80's who would want them dead and why. SS mentioned in his last interview that the Dermonds had already begun getting rid of things and I believe this was a precursor to going into assisted living which is very costly and would severely reduce any inheritance . I know these places in my area can run up to 10k per month depending on the level of service they choose but lets say 6500 per month would be the usual. Just another road I thought was worth visiting

In the latest SS interview with Inside Edition, (the transcription of the interview is in the media thread), SS stated: "We know of nothing of any great value that was taken. There was no evidence of a struggle and quite candidly we can't really say that the murders occurred there. We think he was shot in the head because we developed some gunshot residue on his shirt that he was wearing."

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...ks***NO-DISCUSSION***&p=14104028#post14104028)

The way he worded this statement: "we know of nothing of great value that was taken" leads me to believe that maybe something was taken, just not of much monetary value.

I'm going to listen to BD's interview again because he makes some statements that are contrary to what we have been led to believe by SS such as SS stating such as no evidence of a struggle.

If this was an extortion attempt, which SS said in the beginning that he suspected as much, someone was expecting to hit the mother lode and it just wasn't the case. Apparently Mr. & Mrs. D wrote checks or used credit cards for every purchase and there was no cash in the home.

Did he check the local ATMs CCTV footage for that Friday and Saturday? I'm sure he did, but still there seems to be a huge gap in what SS knows and what he is sharing with the public. I know in the beginning of the case someone went into the local waffle house and asked if they had cameras. If something was taken, even if not much monetary value, that is still a clue and, in my opinion, a huge clue. I'm sort of leaning toward if anything was taken, it could have been a gun that was owned by Mr. D and the same gun with which he was shot. Still, as TCL has stated, and which I wholeheartedly agree, any type of beheading or dismemberment of a body is messy and it's something that would take some time. What type of person does that?

Again, SS talks like there was no evidence of blood splatter found anywhere in the home - even in the garage - which BD seems to contradict because SS showed him the crime scene and BD even speculated it was to get some type of reaction from him. Going to stick with my guns on this and say Mr. D was killed in the garage and there wasn't much blood splatter because the gun caliber was small and it didn't exit Mr. D's head. But to then take Mrs. D away from the home and murder her with blunt force trauma to the head does seem to suggest more than one killer. And if they walked her to a boat, they certainly didn't want to use a gun because as Hockey Guy stated, someone would have heard the shot.

I do believe the perpetrators attempted to make this look like a "professional" hit, but they did some things wrong. I do believe the home was very neat and tidy. And the lamp shade that was tilted, another poster had a theory that Mrs. D could have tilted the lamp shade herself when she worked her crossword puzzles for better lighting. Makes perfect sense to me and in that case someone very close to the D's knew that Mrs. D would tilt that lamp shade and that's why they didn't bother to "straighten" the lamp shade.

The garage is a different matter. I think SS knows exactly what went down in the garage or very close to the garage and I think he knows if the killers came by boat or car, but it's obvious he is not going to give us that information.

That's interesting. About BD. I wasn't aware he said that he thought SS had showed him the bloody garage to invoke some sort of reaction.

I don't think the sons were involved first hand with the killings but there may have been a reason they were killed
because of them.

But wouldn't have pushing them down that outside staircase been a much easier way to kill them?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Good points but I noticed one theory that didn't add up. If the killer used a gun Mr D owned he really wouldn't have to worry about beheading him to recover the bullet all he had to do was take the gun and destroy it later or toss it in the lake or some other lake. Too many things point to this being someone close to the elder Dermonds. Remember an up close murder represents rage or revenge and considering the victims were mid to late 80's who would want them dead and why. SS mentioned in his last interview that the Dermonds had already begun getting rid of things and I believe this was a precursor to going into assisted living which is very costly and would severely reduce any inheritance . I know these places in my area can run up to 10k per month depending on the level of service they choose but lets say 6500 per month would be the usual. Just another road I thought was worth visiting

Oh my! That is very expensive even at $6500 a month. That would have been a good fit for the Dermonds too. They could still be able to lead a pretty active lifestyle without the worries of caring for grounds upkeep, meal preparations, etc. al. Greed, one of the 7 deadly sins. Smh! I can see it.

That's interesting. About BD. I wasn't aware he said that he thought SS had showed him the bloody garage to invoke some sort of reaction.

I don't think the sons were involved first hand with the killings but there may have been a reason they were killed
because of them.

But wouldn't have pushing them down that outside staircase been a much easier way to kill them?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

You are so right about those stairs (and even the ones leading down to the lake and boat dock)! One push and that would be quite the tumble, and it could still look like an accident. BD truly comes across as grief-stricken in the video. He choked up a couple of times in the beginning of the interview. If, however, my deceased father was coming to me in my dreams and was trying to show me something, I don't think I would have waited 4 years to speak to the press.

Say that Mr D was shot with an unusual gun and amo and maybe the one who investigates would know this person owned that unusual gun in his collection of guns. That would be a good reason to take the head.

Good point but without the weapon they would have no proof unless it was tied to another murder or shooting he was suspected in. Could also be a service revolver which also could explain why he was beheaded. Too many options but one of them is the right one we just don't know which one is right ( pulling my hair out)

Say that Mr D was shot with an unusual gun and amo and maybe the one who investigates would know this person owned that unusual gun in his collection of guns. That would be a good reason to take the head.

So discouraging that no new information has been gained in this horrendous double murder!

After this many years, is there any possibility the GBI would find the smoking gun that has eluded SS? If so, it is time for SS to accept his defeat in solving the case, and give the GBI a chance to find the murderer(s). IMO.

So discouraging that no new information has been gained in this horrendous double murder!

After this many years, is there any possibility the GBI would find the smoking gun that has eluded SS? If so, it is time for SS to accept his defeat in solving the case, and give the GBI a chance to find the murderer(s). IMO.
I heard the GBI has a very good composite artist that works for them. And even if SS doesn't want them to take the case over, he could utilize some of their resources, including the artist who could talk to the person that witnessed a white male on the Dermond's property before they were murdered. I wonder if SS would be interested in that?

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

I heard the GBI has a very good composite artist that works for them. And even if SS doesn't want them to take the case over, he could utilize some of their resources, including the artist who could talk to the person that witnessed a white male on the Dermond's property before they were murdered. I wonder if SS would be interested in that?

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

It looks like by the last interview with Inside Edition that he reads mail that he receives from the general public and also e-mails. Wouldn't hurt to shoot him an e-mail. I think he would read it. I wish he would have the witness work with a sketch artist. There is so little we have to go on regarding the Dermond murders and I think a composite of the white male would reinvigorate public interest in this case.

If the Dermond's had been pushed down the stairs there would have been no guarantee of death.
If bashed up, living the rest of their lives in assisted living - poof! There goes the money.
The killer wanted complete finality.

It looks like by the last interview with Inside Edition that he reads mail that he receives from the general public and also e-mails. Wouldn't hurt to shoot him an e-mail. I think he would read it. I wish he would have the witness work with a sketch artist. There is so little we have to go on regarding the Dermond murders and I think a composite of the white male would reinvigorate public interest in this case.

I don't think any witnesses got a close look at the white male who was in the yard. Wouldn't a composite drawing be pretty useless?

If it was family, they would have wanted Mrs D's body to be found to collect. If the killer wanted to make it look like Mrs D was the killer they take her and hide her. There were reasons to everything that was done. I think they came by boat and left by boat. I think they pretended to have some sort of an emergency, maybe to get money. Then when the money didn't come or Mr D demanded the killer pay him back for money already loaned, he shot him.
I found the podcast interesting. I wonder about references to the church and golfing, could the killer be in this group or his social connections? I think Mrs D was beaten because gunshots on the lake are very loud, not out of a hatred of Mrs D.

It's been said by Keith Dermond Mrs D wanted her ashes scattered over the lake maybe the kids gave her half of what she wanted. To behead just one of them says Mr D was the target. Why not just dump both of them in the lake? Someone had some rage for Mr D . Id like to know exactly what the fbi profiler had to say we just got a vague description. My guess is the profile of the killer is right on target with it being someone in the family which is why SS only gave that brief version of the killers profile. Someone who likes guns and knives is very vague and obvious since those were 2 of the 3 used in the killing. I think SS won't bring in the GBI because he doesn't want his evidence leaked it's the only reason I can think of except for him not liking non sheriffs being involved.

It's been said by Keith Dermond Mrs D wanted her ashes scattered over the lake maybe the kids gave her half of what she wanted. To behead just one of them says Mr D was the target. Why not just dump both of them in the lake? Someone had some rage for Mr D . Id like to know exactly what the fbi profiler had to say we just got a vague description. My guess is the profile of the killer is right on target with it being someone in the family which is why SS only gave that brief version of the killers profile. Someone who likes guns and knives is very vague and obvious since those were 2 of the 3 used in the killing. I think SS won't bring in the GBI because he doesn't want his evidence leaked it's the only reason I can think of except for him not liking non sheriffs being involved.

If the reason for the murder was inheritace wouldn't you want the body to be found?

If the reason for the murder was inheritace wouldn't you want the body to be found?

Putting a body in a lake ( not an ocean) tells me they knew the body would be found eventually. The 1st place they searched was the lake and the killers must have expected that. They were found in 60 foot deep water and coming from a crime scene where no evidence was left by the killers ( they took the time to clean up) i'm convinced they knew the body would rise in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288