GUILTY NC - Man took family to lunch, left table and drove car into restaurant, killing 2, May 2018

This sounds like Premeditated Murder to me!

It doesn’t matter how depressed he was, he was in the right mind to arrange the table he wanted the family seated at so he could carry out his mission of running his car through the building and into his family’s table.
NO! The WBTV report was corrected, which I posted on page 2, post #27:
This report contradicts/corrects previous report:
http://www.wbtv.com/story/38232672/...urant-killing-deputy-daughter-daughter-in-law
[FONT=&quot]A family member told WBTV that Roger Self allegedly made the reservation at the Surf and Turf Lodge the day before the incident occurred but the family's pastor said during a media briefing on Monday that was not case. According to Rammell, Katelyn Self had reportedly made the reservation "to have a good time with her dad."
[/FONT]

I knew Amanda. She was very sweet, goofy, a great nurse, and loved her family very much. I think everyone who knew them is in shock right now. There's a huge leap from knowing someone has mental illness, to taking away their car. He was a respected member of the community, the father of two cops, and nobody could've predicted this. My heart goes out to all of them.

He had a Pastor, a law enforcement officer and a nurse know about his mental state of mind and his own fear that he was at risk. He had asked that his guns be taken away. It is very tragic that he was not committed for evaluation.

It sounds like things got a lot worse in the couple of days before he did this. I wonder if a) they tried and couldn’t get him committed; b) they got him committed and he was then discharged; c) they didn’t have time over a weekend to get it done. I would guess the mental health resources in Gaston county in general and Bessemer City specifically are slim to none. He probably would have had to go to Charlotte.

I get the feeling that they felt they could pray and love this away. A friend reported that when Self didn't leave his bed for days, this friend would visit daily and read scripture and pray.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

His son and daughter are both police officers. His daughter in law was a nurse. My feeling is they knew what they were dealing with. He had seen psychiatrists and had been prescribed meds. It's heartbreaking.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

There is no law against being crazy or having personality changing mental illness. NO ONE can make an adult do what they don't choose to do whether that's check themselves in for mental assessment and help or consistently taking medication that controls their symptoms and helps their thinking. To be locked up against their will, they have to be a danger to themselves or others, depending on the state, and even this is only temporary - 24-72 hours, determined by the physician and follow up physicians. Mental health is COMPLETELY dependent on the patient's/client's willingness to comply with and continue therapy.

There are two things that could have happened here. No.1 is SRI antidepressants can cause you to commit violent acts and suicide. That info comes with them. The other thing is if you go off your drugs especially anti-psychotics you become psychotic and do crazy things and don't even know WHY. I have had these experiences with a relative. This shows what his friends said that this was not him.

Whatever happened to this man happened quickly, IMO. And I am no expert, but it seems more and more, the elderly are being used as lab rats. You wouldn't believe the dangerous cr$p doctor's try to give my husband. I lost my first husband due to big pharma. I am so curious as to what happened here

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/21/pastor-mental-illness-drove-man-to-ram-car-into-his-family/

[FONT=&quot]The pastor said Self had seen a psychiatrist and family doctor but hadn’t been hospitalized. Rammell said Self told him he was taking medicine for depression and anxiety, but he was becoming particularly unstable over the weekend.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“It was a roller coaster, and in the last few days it went from bad to really bad,” he said.[/FONT]

Whatever happened to this man happened quickly, IMO. And I am no expert, but it seems more and more, the elderly are being used as lab rats. You wouldn't believe the dangerous cr$p doctor's try to give my husband. I lost my first husband due to big pharma. I am so curious as to what happened here

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/21/pastor-mental-illness-drove-man-to-ram-car-into-his-family/

[FONT=&amp]The pastor said Self had seen a psychiatrist and family doctor but hadn’t been hospitalized. Rammell said Self told him he was taking medicine for depression and anxiety, but he was becoming particularly unstable over the weekend.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“It was a roller coaster, and in the last few days it went from bad to really bad,” he said.[/FONT]

Oh you are so right on cr@p given by doctors on psychiatric drugs. My relative was young when he was given strong drugs and then when wanting to get off them, he was taken off waaay too fast and it caused horrible psychotic episodes. When he finally was stabilized again, he had NO CLUE s to why he did the things he did during these episodes! Some of these drugs are downright dangerous and make a balanced mind, UNbalanced.

There seems to be a lack of mental health care in this country. Does anyone have any first-hand experience in it?
It might have changed in the last 10 years since my uncle passed away, but when we dealt with him a doctor or judge had to order him into the hospital. The state mental hospitals back then were horrible. When they would release him they would notify no family and just give him a bus ticket to the place he asked for..the last time that I remember they gave him a ticket to St Louis, the poor guy had no money. Luckily after he was missing for a week he remembered my mother's ( his sister) telephone number.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

One witness told the Gazette Self stood by at the crime scene in handcuffs “repeatedly screaming that everybody was evil.” Self is now facing two charges of first degree murder, reports the Charlotte Observer’s news partner WBTV.
Reaction in the community has ranged from shock to outright denial. Self was a former police officer himself, and worked as a private investigator, reported the Washington Post.
Rumors had spread in the community in recent months that Self, who lived in Dallas, N.C., had changed, according to social media posts. There was even talk that Self was suffering from a brain tumor, according to multiple Facebook posts. More....

http://amp.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article211575219.html

I know that I will be in the minority here, but I would be really, really surprised if the man had not blown up at his family before. Not in such a dynamic way, but just tantrums. Some families go to great lengths to hide stuff like that. He was supposed to be suicidal, but killing was his intent, not suicide. Setting up an insanity plea.

Did he have a history of depression? Got to be very unusual to first develop severe depression so late in life.[/QUOT

Some men do not handle depression well. It can come out as angry aggression at others.
Women tend to isolate and deal passively, not men, IME. Especially bad for men who
have always been in control. They can uncharacteristically strike out at those they are
closest too. This was not the first example of this man acting aggressively at his family.
MOO.

It might have changed in the last 10 years since my uncle passed away, but when we dealt with him a doctor or judge had to order him into the hospital. The state mental hospitals back then were horrible. When they would release him they would notify no family and just give him a bus ticket to the place he asked for..the last time that I remember they gave him a ticket to St Louis, the poor guy had no money. Luckily after he was missing for a week he remembered my mother's ( his sister) telephone number.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

We need to improve our healthcare in this country.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back