GUILTY Uk - Emile Cilliers Accused Of Tampering W/ Wife's Parachute, Wiltshire, 5 April 2015

I was forgetting there's a five-hour time difference, so we still have two and a half hours, and Court 2 is scheduled to start about now (9.30 am).

EDIT Defence closing speech started at 9.37.

Thanks for the update Moll - so possibly Judge summing up this afternoon and Jury out at least by tomorrow. Which is good as - hopefully - a verdict by end of this week.

Winchester 2 T20160267
emile stolz cilliers
Details: Trial (Part Heard) - EMILE STOLZ CILLIERS; Defence Closing Speech - 09:37
Trial (Part Heard) - Case adjourned until 11:25 - 11:10

Trial (Part Heard) - EMILE STOLZ CILLIERS; Defence Closing Speech - 11:34

Trial (Part Heard) - Legal Submissions - 13:02

so Prosecution closing was just over 2 hours - Defence seems to have been 3 hours

Three hours! What on earth can she have said?
Pleased to find we're still here. Perhaps we'll get a report before the website turns into a pumpkin and our ballgowns into rags.

I just hope the Judge doesn't do a 2 day summing up again....

Just reading that link

his lies were mainly flights of fantasy

or,as we say in the real world, an adulterer covering his tracks

Putting up the whole of today's hearing, for ease of reading

Looks as though Defence carried on after lunch - so that makes it 4 hours of Fairy Tales

Winchester 2

T20160267

emile stolz cilliers

Details: Trial (Part Heard) - EMILE STOLZ CILLIERS; Defence Closing Speech - 09:37
Trial (Part Heard) - Legal Submissions - 13:02
Trial (Part Heard) - Case adjourned until 14:05 - 13:09
Trial (Part Heard) - Resume - 14:03
Trial (Part Heard) - EMILE STOLZ CILLIERS; Defence Closing Speech - 14:14
Trial (Part Heard) - Legal Submissions - 15:14
Trial (Part Heard) - Case adjourned until 09:30 - 15:24

http://www.thelawpages.com/court-hearings-lists/Winchester-Crown-Court.php

It looks as though the site might really be offline today. That defence speech seemed (from what can only be an inadequate report) mainly about the claim that EC wasn't actually going to gain from VC's death, something that appeared to have been efficiently pre-empted by the prosecution showing that he thought he was. Plus a highly unconvincing attempt to portray EC as a sort of lovable dreamer instead of a lying con-man. I assume the judge's summing up of the facts of the case will happen today and I do hope we get a decent account of it

Hello everybody!
Back just in time for us to rejoice that justice is finally being done - Cilliers found guilty on all counts, though yet to be sentenced. The Mail reports that the prosecution had to ask for Victoria Cilliers to be treated as a hostile witness.

From the ITV report:
The judge, Mr Justice Sweeney, told the jury: "The burden now falls on me on what to do as far as this defendant is concerned, that too is a heavy burden."

"It's an important part of any sentencing exercise where there is a victim or intended victim as there plainly is in this case, that the court gives the victim an opportunity to make a statement and despite all the ups and downs that is what I am going to afford Mrs Cilliers if she wishes to take it."

It may well be that I may need a report from an expert probation officer on this but as the judge who has presided over this case twice, you may imagine I have my own views.

– MR JUSTICE SWEENEY

Hello everybody!
Back just in time for us to rejoice that justice is finally being done - Cilliers found guilty on all counts, though yet to be sentenced. The Mail reports that the prosecution had to ask for Victoria Cilliers to be treated as a hostile witness.
That's great news!
  • Mrs Cilliers gave contradictory evidence and became a 'hostile witness' to the prosecution and even had to be warned not to meet him six months after he tried to kill him;
The judge, Mr Justice Sweeney, thanked the jury of nine men and three women for carrying out their duty with 'distinction'.

He said he would be seeking a report from the probation service to establish the 'dangerousness' of the defendant and to seek a statement from Mrs Cilliers on the impact the offences had upon her before sentencing Cilliers on a date to be set.

He said: 'The burden now falls on me on what to do as far as this defendant is concerned, that too is a heavy burden.'

He continued: 'It's an important part of any sentencing exercise where there is a victim or intended victim as there plainly is in this case, that the court gives the victim an opportunity to make a statement and despite all the ups and downs that is what I am going to afford Mrs Cilliers if she wishes to take it.'

The judge added that he would have to consider the 'dangerousness' of the defendant and said: 'It may well be that I may need a report from an expert probation officer on this but as the judge who has presided over this case twice, you may imagine I have my own views.'

[...]

Prosecutors, who must ask open questions under court rules, were forced to apply to a judge to have her declared a 'hostile witness'.

Judge Mr Justice Nigel Sweeney granted the application, allowing closed questions to be asked in an attempt to stop her from providing a different version of events in court.

Read more: Army sergeant is found GUILTY of trying to murder his wife by sabotaging her parachute | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Isnt it great news. I saw that the Jury departed yesterday at 3pm ! and couldnt work out what was going on.
Then today couldnt find any updates for the Court on the Law Pages or Court Serve aaahhh ......
Really, really pleased that this Jury got it right and in such a short time as well. I do hope Judge gives him a long sentence and is not swayed by VCs input, which he has said he will listen to !

O/T is there a setting for showing which members are around on the thread? - used to be a list at the bottom. It's always nice to know if one is talking to oneself or not :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back