OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Embufum, that's some quality sleuthing right there! My point was to show the proximity and visibility of the entrance to the construction area to Brian as he stands there on video, looking straight in the direction of the entrance to the construction area. Sgt. Hurst has suggested that Brian entered the construction area. I believe him. Sgt. Hurst has also suggested that Brian then 'got exited out of' the construction area. That I would doubt.

I think Hurst said "somehow entered" then said that he may have existed a side door. That pretty much leaves it wide open. lol I'm not sure what or maybe I should say when you think that Brian is looking directly at the construction doors? When he walks away he has his head down.

But wasn't it confirmed by both Clint and Meredith, AND LE that Brian went back into the bar? And if Brian went back into the bar, WHY can't we see that footage?! It's like they have no other views after the crop off with the horrible camera shot. If there was not some kind of cover up involved, we should be able to see more footage of where Brian went. I really don't see any other explanation. That video has to be altered. The big question is WHY?

Satch

I far as I have been able to find out Brian reentered the bar. Meredith took a polygraph and I am sure that they asked her about Brian going to talk to the band. Also, if they didn't think that he was in the bar then why even search it? If Brian did get down to the construction zone then I don't see why it's so hard to believe that he went back inside then came back out.

But wasn't it confirmed by both Clint and Meredith, AND LE that Brian went back into the bar? And if Brian went back into the bar, WHY can't we see that footage?! It's like they have no other views after the crop off with the horrible camera shot. If there was not some kind of cover up involved, we should be able to see more footage of where Brian went. I really don't see any other explanation. That video has to be altered. The big question is WHY?

Satch

I also believe it's been heavily edited. I also think that the door to the Tuna was in view of the camera, but we are not being shown. I'm not saying I'm 100% sure but there are things that I see that don't look symmetrical. I have to do some more research before I convince myself of that.

I far as I have been able to find out Brian reentered the bar. Meredith took a polygraph and I am sure that they asked her about Brian going to talk to the band. Also, if they didn't think that he was in the bar then why even search it? If Brian did get down to the construction zone then I don't see why it's so hard to believe that he went back inside then came back out.

And as we’ve said many times, there’s plenty of ways Meredith could pass a polygraph by being under the impression that Brian reenterred, but could still be mistaken about that. She was reportedly very drunk. Drunk people don’t always recount timelines correctly (heck, sober people don’t always either). It’s also possible that she remembers Brian saying he was going to talk to the band, but he actually walked back outside, or into the construction area, etc.

Along the lines of thinking about other cases and what lessons can be learned and applied to Brian’s case...today there was a sad breakthrough in the case of Ebby Steppach. I feel like there are a lot of aspects of this case that closely relate to Brian’s case.

In a nutshell, Ebby’s car was found abandoned in a park shortly after her disappearance. It had been left running to the point that it ran out of gas. All of her belongings were still inside of it. There was no trace of her. The park was searched—it turned up nothing.

Years pass. There were alleged sighting, rumors of human trafficking, or running away from her life.

Today, 2.5 years later, skeletal remains found in a drainage pipe in the park were sadly identified as hers. Mere feet away from where her car was found. Mere feet away from where a memorial in her honor was placed. There the whole time.

Here is a link to one of many articles you can read about Ebby: https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com/crime/ebby-steppach-remains-arkansas-possibly-found/amp/

My main take aways from this case:
-it looked like she vanished at that exact place, and as it turns out, whatever happened to her did indeed happen right there
-failure to locate remains in the initial search does not mean one can conclude with certainty that the remains aren’t there

I think both of these lessons have obvious parallels to Brian’s case. It makes me so angry when people say “they searched the construction area, and he wasn’t there.” This recent case of Ebby Steppach isn’t the first or the only case like this. We’ve seen it many times, and we will see it again.

Search the former construction site again in 2018.

And as we’ve said many times, there’s plenty of ways Meredith could pass a polygraph by being under the impression that Brian reenterred, but could still be mistaken about that. She was reportedly very drunk. Drunk people don’t always recount timelines correctly (heck, sober people don’t always either). It’s also possible that she remembers Brian saying he was going to talk to the band, but he actually walked back outside, or into the construction area, etc.

If so then that still puts him back in the bar. lol (bold) As I said before, he could have walked back in and left and went into the construction area. I'm in agreement with you on this so not sure why you're arguing this point?

Also, how do you know how much Meredith had to drink? Where are you getting the information that she was reportedly very drunk?

Last edited:
If so then that still puts him back in the bar. lol (bold) As I said before, he could have walked back in and left and went into the construction area. I'm in agreement with you on this so not sure why you're arguing this point?

Also, how do you know how much Meredith had to drink? Where are you getting the information that she was reportedly very drunk?

I’m not arguing anything but simply pointing out that Meredith passing a polygraph is not necessarily evidence that he must have re-entered the bar.

The information about reportedly being drunk comes from an earlier post from L4B which states that one of the girls who last talked to Brian (I think Brightan?) said that the entire group was drunk. It’s possible I misunderstood the post, but that’s how I read it (L4B please correct me if I’m wrong).

Regardless, whether we know for sure or not, it’s possible alcohol played a role given the setting.

The only point here is that I don’t think we can say conclusively whether Brian re-entered the bar or went somewhere else after he was seen on camera. Unless we can see video of exactly where he went (which we don’t have), the end of his path is inconclusive.

I’m not arguing anything but simply pointing out that Meredith passing a polygraph is not necessarily evidence that he must have re-entered the bar.

The information about reportedly being drunk comes from an earlier post from L4B which states that one of the girls who last talked to Brian (I think Brightan?) said that the entire group was drunk. It’s possible I misunderstood the post, but that’s how I read it (L4B please correct me if I’m wrong).

Regardless, whether we know for sure or not, it’s possible alcohol played a role given the setting.

The only point here is that I don’t think we can say conclusively whether Brian re-entered the bar or went somewhere else after he was seen on camera. Unless we can see video of exactly where he went (which we don’t have), the end of his path is inconclusive.

To be clear, we agree he could have ended up in the construction site, but I believe we disagree about whether he had to have reentered the bar after being seen on camera at ~1:55am.

To be clear, we agree he could have ended up in the construction site, but I believe we disagree about whether he had to have reentered the bar after being seen on camera at ~1:55am.

Yeah pretty much. I think you are referring to Brightan. I've seen 2 articles from when this happened where they both stated that Brian did not appear drunk and now I believe it's Brightan who said her Amber and Brian were drunk.

Either way Brian got out of the bar so not so relevant. If he went in then he got back out or jumped off the patio deck which is according to the police an option. If believe it was Det. Andre Edwards who mentioned the Patio.

The police think Brian made it out. When I talked to Don Corbett and asked if he thought Brian could be in the construction area he said yes he could be but he doesn't believe he is. Don is a never say never type of guy so he won't dismiss anything but he will tell you if it's unlikely.

I'll be honest, I think that Brian made it out but I don't know if he is alive, well obviously I don't but I mean if asked do I think so I will say it's possible. Some of the things that Don said to me I will not share out of respect to the podcast. Some things that I find out other wise I'll share.

For example, I posted before Brian took off a couple years before with out telling anyone. He eventually called his family. That's all I know about this. I have no idea where he went or if it was a run away type thing or Brian just went on a little impromptu vacation and called a couple days later when he got there.

I'm still getting indications that Brian was not happy and seeing more and more reasons that him leaving is not so surprising. I'm sure the Comback podcast will cover more. I'm not sure if they are planning another interview with Don or not. How ironic would it be that Brian was planning on leaving but met with foul play?

Yeah pretty much. I think you are referring to Brightan. I've seen 2 articles from when this happened where they both stated that Brian did not appear drunk and now I believe it's Brightan who said her Amber and Brian were drunk.

Either way Brian got out of the bar so not so relevant. If he went in then he got back out or jumped off the patio deck which is according to the police an option. If believe it was Det. Andre Edwards who mentioned the Patio.

The police think Brian made it out. When I talked to Don Corbett and asked if he thought Brian could be in the construction area he said yes he could be but he doesn't believe he is. Don is a never say never type of guy so he won't dismiss anything but he will tell you if it's unlikely.

I'll be honest, I think that Brian made it out but I don't know if he is alive, well obviously I don't but I mean if asked do I think so I will say it's possible. Some of the things that Don said to me I will not share out of respect to the podcast. Some things that I find out other wise I'll share.

For example, I posted before Brian took off a couple years before with out telling anyone. He eventually called his family. That's all I know about this. I have no idea where he went or if it was a run away type thing or Brian just went on a little impromptu vacation and called a couple days later when he got there.

I'm still getting indications that Brian was not happy and seeing more and more reasons that him leaving is not so surprising. I'm sure the Comback podcast will cover more. I'm not sure if they are planning another interview with Don or not. How ironic would it be that Brian was planning on leaving but met with foul play?

Sgt. Hurst:
1) Maintains that Brian was in the construction area
2) Says that Brian then 'got exited out of' the construction area. You can listen to the podcast and hear it for yourself.

I stopped in Columbus today and had a look at the building. The former Tuna space is now pretty much gutted. I didn't learn much new. It felt weird going up the escalator just like Brian did. I still think Brian's remains are in or under the building.

Along the lines of thinking about other cases and what lessons can be learned and applied to Brian’s case...today there was a sad breakthrough in the case of Ebby Steppach. I feel like there are a lot of aspects of this case that closely relate to Brian’s case.

In a nutshell, Ebby’s car was found abandoned in a park shortly after her disappearance. It had been left running to the point that it ran out of gas. All of her belongings were still inside of it. There was no trace of her. The park was searched—it turned up nothing.

Years pass. There were alleged sighting, rumors of human trafficking, or running away from her life.

Today, 2.5 years later, skeletal remains found in a drainage pipe in the park were sadly identified as hers. Mere feet away from where her car was found. Mere feet away from where a memorial in her honor was placed. There the whole time.

Here is a link to one of many articles you can read about Ebby: https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com/crime/ebby-steppach-remains-arkansas-possibly-found/amp/

My main take aways from this case:
-it looked like she vanished at that exact place, and as it turns out, whatever happened to her did indeed happen right there
-failure to locate remains in the initial search does not mean one can conclude with certainty that the remains aren’t there

I think both of these lessons have obvious parallels to Brian’s case. It makes me so angry when people say “they searched the construction area, and he wasn’t there.” This recent case of Ebby Steppach isn’t the first or the only case like this. We’ve seen it many times, and we will see it again.

Search the former construction site again in 2018.
Totally agree. Time and time again the body was missed and remains later turn up very near where person was last seen.

The thing is, there is a disincentive for investigators to go back years later and re-search near where the missing person was last seen - if thy do then find the remains, it makes them look bad for having failed the first time.

Does anyone know how much footage the police reviewed? Did they stop looking at the tapes shortly after the UTS closing or did they review a few days worth of footage? I am also curious about the "got exited out of the construction area" verbiage. Could he have been discovered in an unauthorized construction area after the closing of the bar, been made to leave on foot by whoever found him, disappeared at that point and the police are keeping that part hush-hush?

Does anyone know how much footage the police reviewed? Did they stop looking at the tapes shortly after the UTS closing or did they review a few days worth of footage? I am also curious about the "got exited out of the construction area" verbiage. Could he have been discovered in an unauthorized construction area after the closing of the bar, been made to leave on foot by whoever found him, disappeared at that point and the police are keeping that part hush-hush?

I think it he was going to say got out and then changed it in mid sentence to exited out. They did review a few days footage.

Sgt. Hurst:
2) Says that Brian then 'got exited out of' the construction area. You can listen to the podcast and hear it for yourself.

I stopped in Columbus today and had a look at the building. The former Tuna space is now pretty much gutted. I didn't learn much new. It felt weird going up the escalator just like Brian did. I still think Brian's remains are in or under the building.

To me it sounded like Det. Hurst started to say “got out” and changed it to “exited”. IOW, I think he just changed mid stream. “Got exited” really doesn’t make sense to me otherwise given that Hurst never says he believes for sure if there was foul play. JMO

Sgt. Hurst:

I'd still like to know whether the service elevator had both front and rear doors. In other words, could Brian have exited the elevator the wrong way in an attempt to catch up with the band? It seems to me like the most logical way he could have accidentally entered the construction area.

"For example, I posted before Brian took off a couple years before with out telling anyone. He eventually called his family."

Is it known how long he was gone?

Satch

"For example, I posted before Brian took off a couple years before with out telling anyone. He eventually called his family."

It would be great to know when this happened? How long Brian was gone? And where he went? Thank you for discovering this information!

Satch

So Brian was last seen on Video at 1:55 am. In Clint's own words "I called him that night and it went straight to voicemail. It was about 2 a.m. and (there was) no answer," Florence said. So roughly 5 minutes later his phone was already powered off. This does seem to fit with Clint's and Meredith's story of searching for him and leaving by 2:09.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail