FOUND DECEASED - WA - Lindsey Baum, 10, McCleary, 26 June 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbm

Approximately 240 law enforcement officials and volunteers participated in the search, which spans roughly two square miles.

I think that's a relatively smallish field given the vastness of the area. It tells me they're mainly searching for more bones, and / or hoping to discover identifying discards or possibly other crime scenes.

I do not believe they're specifically looking for a 'killing field' but may be attempting to rule it out.

There's been no mention of what was initially recovered, such as bones, clothing or shoes but we may safely assume one or more bones were located because the FBI was able to extract and confirm DNA.. I doubt usable DNA would survive on extreme-weather-exposed clothing for very long.

Ls LE searching for items that might connect the crime scene to what LE found in other searches?

The following article is from February 15, 2012. I had forgotten what LE discovered while executing search warrants of the 'town jeweler'... a partial list is provided in the article (bbm):

Grays Harbor County, Wash. - On Wednesday, police revealed the items found when a search was conducted of a person of interest in the case of missing girl Lindsey Baum.

In a search warrant, police note over 100 items were taken from the McCleary man who owns a jewelry store in the area. The items were taken from his car, home and business and include, according to KIROTV.com:

Apparent fingernail from passenger side of car
Ropes and straps
Numerous computers and computer storage devices
Pink sheet with unknown stains
Brown duffle bag with assumed human hair
Handwritten notes regarding missing child

Just last week, authorities released convenience store footage showing the person of interest. They note that he told police he was out of town when Lindsey vanished, however, the video of him at the store proves he was actually in the area at the time.

The man told KING 5 that he initially told police he wasn't in McCleary when Lindsey went missing, but noted that he was working as a volunteer firefighter in Grays Harbor and Mason Counties and forgot he had made a trip to the store while driving between the two locations.

The convenience store where the video was taken is located near where Lindsey was last seen walking home. In addition, the time stamp on the footage is 9:20 p.m., which is close to the time Lindsey was making her way back to her house.

Ten-year-old Lindsey left her friend?s home on foot between 9:00 and 9:30 p.m. on the evening of June 26, 2009, heading to her own house, just three blocks away. She has not been seen since that night over two years ago.

Lindsey has brown hair and brown eyes, is 4?9? tall, 80 lbs., and was last seen wearing a light blue hooded pullover shirt and blue jeans.

A $35,000 reward is being offered to find Lindsey.

Anyone who might have any information about the whereabouts of Lindsey Baum should call 1-866-915-8299 or via e-mail soadmin@co.grays-harbor.wa.us. Information may also be mailed to PO Box 305 McCleary, 98557.

The link to the article is no longer valid:

I am not sure if the jeweler was able to provide explanations for those items but after all these years it's likely the items were unrelated to this case.

He's proclaimed his innocence since then, and I believe him. I include this post only for reference.

A possible scenario?

LB was kidnapped and driven across the state.

During a stopover in the woods (now known as the recovery location) she escaped her captor(s) and got lost in the woods and the captor gave up on any attempt to find her / retrieve her from the rugged terrain?

By Donald W. Meyers
Yakima Herald-Republic
May 21, 2018

ELLENSBURG — A rugged, 2-square-mile area west of Ellensburg is expected to remain closed Monday as a search for evidence into a McCleary girl’s homicide continues.

The U.S. Forest Service reports that the area along Forest Service Road 3100 between Barber Springs Road and Buck Meadows was expected to remain closed Monday and possibly longer.

About 200 volunteers and law-enforcement officials, along with 22 police-dog teams, were in the area this weekend looking for possible evidence related to 10-year-old Lindsey Baum, who was last seen almost nine years ago when she left a friend’s home in McCleary, according to the Kittitas County Sheriff’s Office.

The area is described as heavily timbered steep terrain with large cliffs and deep ravines, according to a Kittitas County sheriff’s news release.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...nd-still-closed-as-evidence-search-continues/

This location (up Manastash canyon) is not on the way anywhere. It's basically a dead end.

A possible scenario?

LB was kidnapped and driven across the state.

During a stopover in the woods (now known as the recovery location) she escaped her captor(s) and got lost in the woods and the captor gave up on any attempt to find her / retrieve her from the rugged terrain?

I would search a thirty foot swath on the drivers side of the road that would have been driven from the site where the remains were found. I am tempted to do it my self but should I find any evidence I'm sure it would be tainted just by me finding it. And rightfully so.

WA - Wa - Lileana “lily” Christopherson, 15, Pierce County, 9 May 2018 *endangered* *arrest*

Detectives in Grays Harbor County said Wednesday they want to know where Fitzpatrick was in 2009 when Lindsey Baum was kidnapped.

Her remains were identified earlier this month after being found in Central Washington last fall. Fitzpatrick has a former girlfriend and a child who live in McCleary, where Baum was last seen.....

'Vigilantes' attack wrong man in search for missing Bonney Lake teen, police say

WA - Wa - Lileana “lily” Christopherson, 15, Pierce County, 9 May 2018 *endangered* *arrest*

Detectives in Grays Harbor County said Wednesday they want to know where Fitzpatrick was in 2009 when Lindsey Baum was kidnapped.

Her remains were identified earlier this month after being found in Central Washington last fall. Fitzpatrick has a former girlfriend and a child who live in McCleary, where Baum was last seen.....

'Vigilantes' attack wrong man in search for missing Bonney Lake teen, police say
Holy!! That is an interesting connection.

I thought I clicked on the wrong "watched thread" when I was Lily's name in this thread.

Somehow, a little tiny picture of Lindsey appeared on the bottom of whatever news page I was looking at this morning, and in shock and amazement I clicked on it immediately to read that 3 weeks ago our dear little Lindsey Baum's remains had been discovered.
My heart goes out and my prayers go up for Lindsey's mom, family, and the many friends and tireless advocates she has here on WS. I take comfort in knowing Lindsey's Mom can rest her weary eyes and her broken, grieving heart in the search for her darling daughter ... That she has been in the loving arms of The Strong Son of God these past 9 years.
Evil will never remove Lindsey's memory, her light will forever shine on all that loved her, and I pray Melissa Baum finds comfort here in this world until they see each other in the next.
Justice is Coming!
God Bless you all ~

Its good to know the Grays Harbor Detectives are not just focused on one particular indvidual. Sounds like they're really keeping their eyes and ears open to get to the bottom of this.

Can anybody find me a decent copy of this picture of lindsey?
search

Attachments

• picture.PNG
    picture.PNG
    279.2 KB · Views: 29
For years, there was something that struck me about the Golder search warrant (issued September 24, 2009) but couldn't pinpoint why. I couldn't let go of the nagging feeling but eventually I dropped it and forgot about it.

Now that remains of LB have been recovered I decided to revisit that warrant and reread it and hopefully find what was nagging me. I found it... it is this phrase in the search warrant:

"Shoe print and tire print impression to include the collection of shoes and/or tires which may be similar to those found at the crime scene."

golder search warrant - crime scene.png

More specifically: "similar to those found at the crime scene."

To clarify, I do not fully believe Golder was involved in what happened to LB. My focus is on notable content of a search warrant that was issued in September 2009, eight years before remains of LB were discovered and nine years before those remains were specifically identified as LB.

To what crime scene and to what shoe and/or tire prints does the warrant refer? Or, was that crime scene really a "crime scene" for the purposes of obtaining warrant approval? If so, and if Golder was really involved, such a move by LE might jeopardize a potential case against him.

If LE did determine in 2009 an actual crime scene, where is it and what was discovered within?

For years, there was something that struck me about the Golder search warrant (issued September 24, 2009) but couldn't pinpoint why. I couldn't let go of the nagging feeling but eventually I dropped it and forgot about it.

Now that remains of LB have been recovered I decided to revisit that warrant and reread it and hopefully find what was nagging me. I found it... it is this phrase in the search warrant:

"Shoe print and tire print impression to include the collection of shoes and/or tires which may be similar to those found at the crime scene."

View attachment 135514

More specifically: "similar to those found at the crime scene."

To clarify, I do not fully believe Golder was involved in what happened to LB. My focus is on notable content of a search warrant that was issued in September 2009, eight years before remains of LB were discovered and nine years before those remains were specifically identified as LB.

To what crime scene and to what shoe and/or tire prints does the warrant refer? Or, was that crime scene really a "crime scene" for the purposes of obtaining warrant approval? If so, and if Golder was really involved, such a move by LE might jeopardize a potential case against him.

If LE did determine in 2009 an actual crime scene, where is it and what was discovered within?
Hi ChuckMaureen! Good to see you!

In another case I followed, we noticed that a search warrant said (paraphrasing) LE had concerns that evidence might be destroyed/obstructed if the "suspect(s)" knew what the SW intended to look for, so they asked that the SW be sealed. It made some of us think LE HAD "suspect(s) at that time, and much discussion followed...all of it baseless, as it turned out. With further research, we learned that the SW was requested via 3-way phone call between the Judge, the Detective, and the Clerk of Court (I think). It was very hard to understand who was "speaking" until we worked out that the call was following a format which used predetermined questions/answers and terms to fill out the"formal" SW "form". Basically, they were filling in the blanks with specifics, using common verbiage, and "suspect(s)" probably should have read "named individuals" instead. (At some point, later in the document, the Clerk "asked" that (the) auto-prepared language be inserted into the document, but we hadn't read that far, in our excitement ). So.

I think we may have the same kind of thing in this SW, and "crime scene" should say "potential crime scene". Maybe?

Hi ChuckMaureen! Good to see you!

In another case I followed, we noticed that a search warrant said (paraphrasing) LE had concerns that evidence might be destroyed/obstructed if the "suspect(s)" knew what the SW intended to look for, so they asked that the SW be sealed. It made some of us think LE HAD "suspect(s) at that time, and much discussion followed...all of it baseless, as it turned out. With further research, we learned that the SW was requested via 3-way phone call between the Judge, the Detective, and the Clerk of Court (I think). It was very hard to understand who was "speaking" until we worked out that the call was following a format which used predetermined questions/answers and terms to fill out the"formal" SW "form". Basically, they were filling in the blanks with specifics, using common verbiage, and "suspect(s)" probably should have read "named individuals" instead. (At some point, later in the document, the Clerk "asked" that (the) auto-prepared language be inserted into the document, but we hadn't read that far, in our excitement ). So.

I think we may have the same kind of thing in this SW, and "crime scene" should say "potential crime scene". Maybe?

Hi, coastal...

We could assume proper phrasing is paramount to truth, and artful phrasing is paramount to intent. One doesn't necessarily exclude the other, and we would review context for a determining factor.

No doubt many a SW have been 'artfully' crafted, but it is assumed with intent to discover a 'truth'. An off-hand, civilian way of introducing: the end justifies the means. Within the legal world, it's a method to tap dance around the Fourth Amendment.

re:

I suspect the "may be similar" phrase referencing collected evidence was an albeit subtle key used to tip the balance of SW approval / denial. It isn't so much an accusation of guilt but, with the word "the" referencing a "crime scene", we naturally read it as a formed basis on which a comparison may be made to evidence in existence. The explicit request in the SW to collect "Shoe print and tire print impression" in addition to the phrase "the crime scene" leaves us to believing there are actual shoe and/or tire impression evidence discovered within an actual crime scene.

It is "the" on which I'm focused. We could assume "potential" should have followed within but it didn't, and in that case we must go with the text, as provided: "the crime scene."

Regarding the possible connection between Christopher Fitzpatrick and the LB case:

* CF's former girlfriend lives / lived in McCleary.
* CF allegedly abducted a 15 year old girl (LE) in Bonney Lake.
* The girl was found alive and well at a bus stop in Puyallup.
* LB's remains were discovered in Kittitas County near Buck Meadows.
* Route 410 runs directly through Bonney Lake where CF abducted the 15 year old, and eventually leads to within miles of the area in which LB's remains were discovered.
* Puyallup is located west of Bonney Lake, and is located along a potential travel route between McCleary and the Kittitas County, Buck Meadows area:

From McCleary...
Route 8
Route 101
Route 5
Route 512 (through Puyallup)
Route 167
Route 410 (through Bonney Lake)
Kittitas County.
LB's remains.

Convoluted, but I believe it's a valid driving route.

Last edited:
re: Simpson Door Company in McCleary... might someone who worked/works their know of wooded areas in Easter Washington? Trees are trees. Just a thought....

Hi, coastal...

We could assume proper phrasing is paramount to truth, and artful phrasing is paramount to intent. One doesn't necessarily exclude the other, and we would review context for a determining factor.

No doubt many a SW have been 'artfully' crafted, but it is assumed with intent to discover a 'truth'. An off-hand, civilian way of introducing: the end justifies the means. Within the legal world, it's a method to tap dance around the Fourth Amendment.

re:

I suspect the "may be similar" phrase referencing collected evidence was an albeit subtle key used to tip the balance of SW approval / denial. It isn't so much an accusation of guilt but, with the word "the" referencing a "crime scene", we naturally read it as a formed basis on which a comparison may be made to evidence in existence. The explicit request in the SW to collect "Shoe print and tire print impression" in addition to the phrase "the crime scene" leaves us to believing there are actual shoe and/or tire impression evidence discovered within an actual crime scene.

It is "the" on which I'm focused. We could assume "potential" should have followed within but it didn't, and in that case we must go with the text, as provided: "the crime scene."

Would there be any reason to collect shoe and/or tire prints if they didn't have some sort of print already to compare it to? Is that something routinely gathered in case when they find the abduction site there are usable tracks there?

Would there be any reason to collect shoe and/or tire prints if they didn't have some sort of print already to compare it to? Is that something routinely gathered in case when they find the abduction site there are usable tracks there?

SW itemization commonly includes for collection of impression record from specified objects discovered in specified locations based on the assumed crime: with an abduction / kidnapping scene it is reasonable to assume footprint and/or tire print evidence and that reasonable assumption is enough to satisfy warrant requirements. The phrase included in the Golder SW was entirely unnecessary for to obtain approval so why was it included?

...."may be similar to those found at the crime scene."

AFAIK, LE had never publicly revealed an abduction (or other) crime scene location (excluding the recent remains discovery location) but the phrase in the SW seems to suggest otherwise.

The closest to a potential crime scene is the reported location of the last known sighting of LB: on Maple, between 6th and 5th Streets. There are no sidewalks in the location so we may safely assume LB was last seen walking on the street asphalt, possibly leaving footprints along the way... mixed in with all other footprints, tire, bicycle and motorcycle tracks. If the "last known sighting" location is the assumed crime scene, any impression evidence collected from that particular scene would do little to bolster a case for conviction... too many footprints and other tracks to be used for valid comparisons.
Maple St looking toward 6th St.png

Again, we're left with: where was the crime scene and what was discovered within?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members