Australia - Tiahleigh Palmer, 12, slain, Pimpama River, Qld, 30 Oct 2015 #2 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure hope so! My ex is in prison now for aggravated sexual assault against our daughter. I’d welcome a call letting me know he was doused with boiling water or stabbed. I don’t want him dead as that’s way too easy for him. Just want him to suffer and live in fear the way our child did!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:welcome6::gday: great post, Tex!!

Rick sentencing this Friday

Please come and support Cyndi Uluave and her whanau (family) as Rick Thorburn is sentenced for the murder of beautiful 12 year old Tiahleigh Palmer.
Please gather outside the High Court of Brisbane from 9.30am next Friday 25th May. I'll give further instructions on the day.
We also ask those coming to respect the familys' privacy and make NO COMMENT to media if approached on the day or via private message to you.
Feel free to share this with whanau and friends in Brisbane.
Thankyou
2764.png
<3

Kate Kyriacou (@KateKyriacou) | Twitter

Homicide detectives walk into court with Cindy Palmer and supporters for the sentencing of Rick Thorburn.

Rick Thorburn has been brought into court where he is expected to plead guilty to murdering his 12-year-old foster daughter, Tiahleigh Palmer.

Rick Thorburn is charged with murder, interfering with a corpse, attempting to pervert the course of justice and two counts of perjury.

Rick Thorburn has pleaded guilty to murdering Tiahleigh. He is on his feet, arms folded, wiping away tears.

Rick Thorburn has pleaded guilty to interfering with a corpse, attempting to pervert the course of justice and perjury. His lies to the CCC are being detailed.

Rick Thorburn is reciting “guilty” in a quiet voice. He replied “no” when asked if there was any reason a sentence should not be passed down to him.

Rick Thorburn was 55 when he murdered Tiahleigh on October 30, 2015.

The court had heard Rick Thorburn has spent 619 days in prison prior to his guilty plea today

Carl Heaton QC, for the DPP, is going over the facts of the case. He says Tiahleigh was 12, in grade 7 at Marsden State School when she was murdered.

Mr Heaton QC said Tia was put in care at age 7 when her mother was unable to care for her.

Rick and Julene Thorburn first met Tia in Sept 14. Initially she went to them for respite care on the weekends.

Eventually Tia’s mother relinquished custody of her, in October 2015. Tia was discovered missing after a youth worker went to pick her up from school.

A call was made to Julene and she asked Rick to go to the school to look for her. Rick gave the school a list of her friends. “He was playing the role of a concerned parent.”

Mr Heaton QC: He appeared to be visibly shaken. He made a formal report to police that Tia was missing.

Mr Heaton QC: That complaint evolved into what would become an extensive investigation.

Mr Heaton QC says Trent Thorburn, 18, had a conversation with his cousin via Messenger on Facebook confessing that he’d had sex with Tia. He was worried she was pregnant.

Mr Heaton QC says the cousin encouraged Trent to go to his parents and confess. He agreed that he would.

Mr Heaton QC says at the same time, the mother of the cousin contacted Julene saying she needed to speak to her.

Mr Heaton QC says that night, while at a dance class, Tia complained of having a sore stomach. Julene picked her up and took her home, put her to bed with Nurofen.

Mr Heaton QC says the Nurofen Tia took played an important part in determining the time of death.

Mr Heaton QC says Trent and Josh went to dance class, leaving Rick, Julene and Tia at home. Julene told Rick that Trent had confessed to her he’d had sex with Tia.

Mr Heaton QC says both Rick and Julene discussed their concern that Tia might be pregnant. Rick: We need to think this thought, deal with this properly.

Mr Heaton QC says it was between 8pm and 11pm that Tia was murdered. Julene had left to visit the cousin and her mother.

Mr Heaton QC says Julene, Trent and Josh arrived home. Rick told them: Don’t ask any questions, you don’t need to know, I have taken care of it.

Mr Heaton QC says one of the boys remembers his father saying “Tia is no longer with us. I hope you understand what that means.”

Mr Heaton QC says Rick told his family “I have her hidden, I’m going to get rid of her tomorrow night. I know a good place where I can rid of her body.”

Mr Heaton QC says the next morning the family began their day with the appearance of normality. Julene went into Tia’s room. She was not there. Rick: “It’s sorted. Shut up. Don’t question.”

Mr Heaton QC says when it was discovered that Tia had not been to school that day, the family was contacted and Rick and Julene appeared to be assisting in the initial search for a runaway child.

Mr Heaton QC says Rick and Julene searched until about 7pm. Then Rick went out at 8pm, telling Julene he was leaving his phone at home and not to ask any questions.

Mr Heaton QC says Julene watched Rick back his car into the shed. He was in there for 15 minutes to half an hour. He told Julene to answer any text messages that came through to his phone.

Mr Heaton QC says when the boys arrived home, Rick was out. Julene told her sons she thought he was out disposing of Tia’s body. He arrived home at 11pm covered in dirt. “It’s done,” he said.

Mr Heaton QC says after that, the family went about their business as though nothing had happened. Rick and Julene told them to “stick to the story”.

Mr Heaton QC says a week later, three fishermen discovered Tia’s decomposing body on the banks of the Pimpama River. She was partially submerged, wearing nothing but a torn pair of underpants.

Mr Heaton QC says she had no visible injuries other than a bruise on her head. The Nurofen she’d taken indicated she’d been killed while home alone with Rick Thorburn on the night of October 29.

Mr Heaton QC says the last confirmed sighting of Tia was at the dance class on the night she died, October 29, 2015.

Mr Heaton QC says police pulled telephone data, determining a large number of phone calls had occurred between family members on the night of the 29th.

Mr Heaton QC says from there, the investigation was not able to find anything tangible until an anonymous call to Crime Stoppers seven months later.

Mr Heaton QC says the caller said a family meeting had taken place the night before Tia was reported missing where it was discussed that Trent had had sex with Tia.

Mr Heaton QC says this information led to the CCC holding a series of coercive hearings. Rick, Julene, Josh and Trent all lied.

Mr Heaton QC says listening devices were then installed in the Thorburn house. Rick was heard telling the family to “stick to the story”. Rick and Julene were heard coaching the others on what to say.

On September 20, 2016, Rick, Julene, Josh and Trent were all arrested. Julene and Josh gave interviews to police, admitted lying.

David Murray (@TheMurrayD) | Twitter

Rick Thorburn is in the dock on Tia Palmer murder charge. A while since I’ve seen a court this packed. Media have filled the jury seats, detectives lining the walls, family in the front row.

Rick Thorburn pleads guilty to the murder of Tia Palmer, his 12-year-old foster daughter

Thorburn has his head down, arms by his side, in the dock as the prosecutor says he was “playing the role of concerned parent” the day Tia went missing.

Thorburn told his wife: ‘It’s all taken care of.’ Murdered Tia within hours of being told his 18yo son Trent ‘had sex with Tia’. Began the next day with the appearance of normality.

Thorburn backed his car into the shed at the back of the home on the night after the murder. Came back home at 11pm, covered in dirt. ‘It’s done,’ he said

Her body, found by a river, had no injuries that could explain her death

An anonymous call to Crime Stoppers provided the breakthrough. Revealed the details of a family meeting the Thorburns had the night before Tia went missing

Covert surveillance picked up the family conspiring to avoid arrest. “We are going to have to live with it,” said Tia’s foster mother Julene

Mr Heaton QC says Julene told one of her sons: “Dad made the decision to go down that path unfortunately and we are going to have to live with it.”

Mr Heaton QC says Julene told Rick they couldn’t go on like this, that he should tell their lawyer what he’d done.

Mr Heaton QC says Julene told a female relative they wouldn’t be “so stupid” as to bury Tia’s backpack in their backyard, in relation to a police search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow