Australia - Tiahleigh Palmer, 12, slain, Pimpama River, Qld, 30 Oct 2015 #2 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kate Kyriacou (@KateKyriacou) | Twitter

Mr Heaton QC says the 20 year non parole period should not be extended for the charges of interfering with a corpse, perjury and attempting to pervert the course of justice because of the guilty plea.

Mr Heaton QC says sentences for other charges should run concurrently. He is asking for maximum penalty on some of those.

Mr McGuire says Rick Thorburn’s mother died at the age of 9. He was placed in care, spent some time on the streets, in juvenile detention facilities.

Mr McGuire says he hurt his back at work, had three lots of surgery and was placed on a pain management plan. Was later diagnosed with depression.

Mr McGuire says Rick Thorburn has had no contact with wife and sons in prison. Attempted suicide shortly after his arrest. Has lost considerable weight. Been in protective custody. Only contact is with medical staff.

Mr McGuire says Rick Thorburn has told him that “not a day goes by that I’m not haunted by what I’ve done”.

Who else would he cry for, he didn't seem bothered when he killed her and threw her body in the river, scarcely clothed, his real fear is because he now knows what his fate is, as he has had a taste of it already.
And you have to wonder why she only had on a torn pair of undies. Poor little girl.

cry me a river, Thorburn. ..

His story has holes you could drive a truck through. . the bit about Julene , who talked through 'the problem' .. but conveniently went missing at the crucial time.. I suppose the public has to cop that, in return for the guilty plea.

My only prayer is that the idea that at some stage he can apply for parole is deemed unwise is all I expect, now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie