OH OH - Ronald Tammen, 19, Oxford, 19 April 1953

Two things stand out for me : the fight between Ron and his brother that night. And the woman in the car who Ron supposedly left with. Did he get the blood test so that he could later apply for a marriage license ?

The author of the Ron Tammen website believed that he and his brother Richard got into fight earlier that day/night (as the time that it happened is unknown) in the 3rd floor bathroom (which is the correct floor as I erroneously stated it was the 2nd floor bathroom in post #234) was because Ron could have divulged to Richard about what he was going to do later that night which was to disappear and never come back. I thought about that the last few days and it would give a good motive for a fight. Perhaps his brother tried to sway his decision in doing so.

As for the blood type test, marriage could have been the reason, but it's a possibility that the whole incident was meaningless. In one of the blog posts, the author stated that Ron asked a fellow student to go with him a month later after that event to give blood in which they both received $25 each for their blood donations. But that appointment a month earlier, he told the doctor that he "might" be giving blood soon and needed to know.

If the event with the mysterious woman is true, it's possible she had enough money on her since he didn't take any with him as he left behind his wallet–with all the contents, his car keys, class ring, clothes, his car, and bass fiddle. She could have been a wealthy woman that he fell in love with and she took care of their financial needs. That could also explain why his Social Security number was never used after he disappeared. If she came from, and was of money, perhaps he never had to work ever again.

On the other hand, the mysterious woman, could have been the CIA recruiter or their liaison that was ordered to pick him up, once and for all.

Thank you Kodiak for posting the blog and the Smithsonian article. My husband was saying something one time about MKUltra but I paid him no mind as he believes in almost every conspiracy theory out there. I look forward to reading the article and I hope Ms. Wenger is able to publish her book. Soon!

Thank you Kodiak for posting the blog and the Smithsonian article. My husband was saying something one time about MKUltra but I paid him no mind as he believes in almost every conspiracy theory out there. I look forward to reading the article and I hope Ms. Wenger is able to publish her book. Soon!

You're very welcome, Sulamith.

Lol. Listen to your husband. The MKUltra project is far from a conspiracy than people realize. It was true, it happened, and it was terrifying for all those who became victims of it.

And here is something more ...

Here is a newspaper story available in pdf format from the Miami University Library Digital Collections. It is an article that was printed in the Miami Student newspaper on the 30th anniversary of Ron's disappearance. In the article it mentions Ron's brother talking to him on the phone before he disappeared. And the hypothetical scenario that Ron was attacked in the basement while walking into the scene of a rape, in which his attack resulted in amnesia.

But the last paragraph caught my attention because it's the first article I've found so far mentioning the CIA theory. It the story is on newspaper page 1 and continues on page 6:

The Miami Student, Vol. 110, No. 46 (Apr. 19, 1983) :: Miami Student Newspaper v2

Also edited to add:
In the article, Dean of Men, Carl Knox stated to a reporter that Tammen had "excellent grades." Something we all now know was not true. In the video of the The Phantom of Oxford – Part 2, Knox is interviewed, saying he believed that Tammen was still alive when that was filmed, sometime around the late 1970's. And the topic doesn't seem to phase him at all. With that, and the way he was taking notes on Tammen after Spring break in 1953, I just wonder if Knox also knew what happened to Tammen, or perhaps he helped him with his disappearance.

Last edited:
The author of the Ron Tammen website believed that he and his brother Richard got into fight earlier that day/night (as the time that it happened is unknown) in the 3rd floor bathroom (which is the correct floor as I erroneously stated it was the 2nd floor bathroom in post #234) was because Ron could have divulged to Richard about what he was going to do later that night which was to disappear and never come back. I thought about that the last few days and it would give a good motive for a fight. Perhaps his brother tried to sway his decision in doing so.

As for the blood type test, marriage could have been the reason, but it's a possibility that the whole incident was meaningless. In one of the blog posts, the author stated that Ron asked a fellow student to go with him a month later after that event to give blood in which they both received $25 each for their blood donations. But that appointment a month earlier, he told the doctor that he "might" be giving blood soon and needed to know.

If the event with the mysterious woman is true, it's possible she had enough money on her since he didn't take any with him as he left behind his wallet–with all the contents, his car keys, class ring, clothes, his car, and bass fiddle. She could have been a wealthy woman that he fell in love with and she took care of their financial needs. That could also explain why his Social Security number was never used after he disappeared. If she came from, and was of money, perhaps he never had to work ever again.

On the other hand, the mysterious woman, could have been the CIA recruiter or their liaison that was ordered to pick him up, once and for all.
Weird though if Ron's brother never said anything, even years later. Maybe the woman he allegedly left with was married. Also, he could have made cash money playing pick up music gigs.

Weird though if Ron's brother never said anything, even years later. Maybe the woman he allegedly left with was married. Also, he could have made cash money playing pick up music gigs.

Very likely about the cash/money thing. Anything could be possible with this case, even the far-fetched theories. Which I would never rule out. With a new identity back in 1953, (aside from the CIA aspect) I'm not sure how a young adult would get a new Social Security card without being questioned exstensively. He could have simply stolen a deceased person's name from any cemetery and taken on that identity. It's happened on a few cases that I've come across on The Doe Network. One of those cases is an unidentified old man who did that. He died and they discovered he wasn't who be claimed to be in life. He had stolen the identity of a young child who died in a car accident decades earlier. But somehow, the man used that stolen identity to find employment. Even with current computer technology, the Feds still come across Social Security fraud cases when someone dies. It's interesting how some of these SS numbers aren't extensively crossed referenced with deceased individuals instantly. As for the old man, sheesh, it could have been Tammen. I should put in a request through NamUs, that Ron's DNA (provided from his sister) be checked against the old man's DNA.

Also, been thinking about Ron's poor performance in school during his second year. If the CIA aspect is true, perhaps he was already focused upon their basic training courses, ready to do so at a later date (after April 19, 1953) and he thought that continuing on with the courses at Miami U was completely moot. But he stayed on long enough to give the appearance of a successful student while keeping his grades at mediocre standing. Looking at his 1952-1953 college transcript on J. Wenger's blog, Tammen's total credit hours for both semesters combined was only 11 credit hours total–from Fall 1952 to Spring 1953 up to the time of his disappearance. Something was seriously wrong with his time management. What was he doing? What was keeping him occupied from doing his schoolwork and studies? Especially when he was known to be alway busy doing something–with school and music activities, especially always seen studying. Perhaps this questionable time studying was really for the CIA basic training, but no one would suspect or question such a thing. And–that would be a reason for Carl Knox to lie to the media, stating that Tammen's grades were in good standing, when he must have known they that were not and only part-time.

And ... if he wasn't recruited for anything covert, he could have been hired or volunteered to be a subject for the MKUltra project, possibly being paid to participate. Around 1951, some subjects, especially children, were forced to partake in CIA experiments at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in nearby Dayton, Ohio, not far from Oxford–which is 44 miles from there, close to an hour away. Some of those surviving children that attended Dayton at that time period have come forward the last several years, describing the horrific mental, emotional, physical, and sexual abuse they endured under the CIA's MKUltra project.

J. Wenger states in one of her blog posts that the FBI had purged Ron’s fingerprints in 2002, which was a big surprise because purged files at that time usually happened 7 years after a person's confirmed death or when the person's age hits 110 years old. This suggests that the FBI received confirmation that Ron Tammen died 7 year prior in 1995.

Perhaps they could have been purged accidentally, or the FBI purposely stated this to protect Tammen, who still may be alive. Or, maybe they are telling the truth and Tammen did actually die in 1995. But whatever the case, they knew he was alive and had died at that time. If Tammen did not live his life as a high-ranking spy within the CIA, then I wonder if he was alive all these years as a byproduct of the MKUltra program? Perhaps from an erased memory, irreversible and psychological damage due to LSD side-effects. Just like Frank Olsen's 1953 MKUltra incident, his fragile state of mind after the agency unknowingly gave him LSD was so bad, the CIA was going to place him into a mental institution. But he was murdered before that happened as his thought process was still intact from what he knew of the U.S. government and what they were doing in regards to biological warfare.

Could that same incident happened to Ron Tammen? Could he have turned into a vegetative state from the MKUltra project, placed into a mental institution, where he would be kept for the remainder of his life until 1995? Perhaps!

Like I said, I'm not ruling anything out!

Last edited:
This was strange. I recall reading that some thought he was really Jim Morrison ? :)

This was strange. I recall reading that some thought he was really Jim Morrison ? :)

Interesting. I wonder how and why they thought that?! From a Karaoke party, perhaps? Was it the old kroger's rendition of People are Strange that sealed the deal for such possibilities? ;)

I do remember before his Doe Network page was updated, it had stated his co-workers knew of a time when he drove all the way to L.L. Bean's flagship store in Freeport, Maine. When he arrived, he couldn't find a parking spot. Mad and irritated, he turned back around drove all the way back home. Ah, but I see it's still mentioned on the Wikipedia site.

Last edited:
Interesting. I wonder how and why they thought that?! From a Karaoke party, perhaps? Was it the old kroger's rendition of People are Strange that sealed the deal for such possibilities? ;)

I do remember before his Doe Network page was updated, it had stated his co-workers knew of a time when he drove all the way to L.L. Bean's flagship store in Freeport, Maine. When he arrived, he couldn't find a parking spot. Mad and irritated, he turned back around drove all the way back home. Ah, but I see it's still mentioned on the Wikipedia site.
OT, but : supposedly an oldish guy showed up very late one night at a radio station in a small town in Ohio. He started talking to the DJ, on air, and told the whole story about he didn't die in Paris, but became someone else, and lived out his life in Ohio. Obviously it was way more involved, but people came to believe it was Joseph Newton Chandler who was actually Jim Morrison. Well, you did ask :)

OT, but : supposedly an oldish guy showed up very late one night at a radio station in a small town in Ohio. He started talking to the DJ, on air, and told the whole story about he didn't die in Paris, but became someone else, and lived out his life in Ohio. Obviously it was way more involved, but people came to believe it was Joseph Newton Chandler who was actually Jim Morrison. Well, you did ask :)

OT: My philosophy professor looked just like Jim Morrison (who was heavily into philosophy). If he weren't too short, I would have believed it was him.

I just noticed in NamUs that Ron's case has Unidentified Male (Joseph Newton Chandler III) listed on the DNA comparison list, but when I cross-referenced UI Chandler's comparison list, Ron's name and case number is not listed. So I just sent an email to the NamUs case manager for UI Chandler asking for clarification if both cases have been submitted to DNA comparison.

What was Ron majoring in ? I can't quite see him being recruited by the CIA. Did he speak more than one language ? Was he known to be glib and gregarious ? A good actor ? Had he ever travelled abroad in his life ? Or, was he a gifted mathematician, a physics/chemistry/biology wiz ? Somewhat hard to imagine how he would be viewed as a potential CIA asset. Quiet, bookish, somewhat solitary ?...jmo, though.

What was Ron majoring in ? I can't quite see him being recruited by the CIA. Did he speak more than one language ? Was he known to be glib and gregarious ? A good actor ? Had he ever travelled abroad in his life ? Or, was he a gifted mathematician, a physics/chemistry/biology wiz ? Somewhat hard to imagine how he would be viewed as a potential CIA asset. Quiet, bookish, somewhat solitary ?...jmo, though.

He was majoring in Business. Quiet, bookish, somewhat solitary was his thing, but it's been said he was quite sociable when approached and interacted well with others. Don't really know what his strong skillsets were. He knew music though. Maybe that was what they were looking for. Who knows. And back then, like now, the CIA usually recruited recent graduates. It could be a skill or talent they saw in him that no one else noticed. But his transcript for his freshman year shows he excelled in Unified Math.

It's interesting how some of these SS numbers aren't extensively crossed referenced with deceased individuals instantly.

The SSA only recognizes someone as dead if the next of kin reports the death in order to collect the death benefit. Because the death benefit is only $255, many people don't bother to fill out the paperwork.

I've just finished reading through most of this thread, and an idea occurred to me.

Mention has been made that Ronald's disappearance may be connected to a frat hazing ritual, and that theory makes sense to me. But someone else here pointed out that Ronald was already a junior in college—though, at 19 years old, wouldn't he be finishing his sophomore year? The point is that he would've already been part of the fraternity at his age, so he wouldn't have been hazed since this is done to freshmen pledges. I know next to nothing about how all of this works, since I went to a college that had no frats, so anyone with info, please chime in!

But I wonder: after he joined the frat, then he's bound to them by loyalty, right? What if one of the other frat members got another girl pregnant, and now the frat required Ron to find out his blood type in order to lie and help a fellow member get out of his new responsibility? Somehow the pregnant girl finds out that he's going to lie and say he slept with her when he didn't, and someone in her family retaliates by luring him outside, kidnapping and attacking him, leaving him for dead. This would account both for the sighting of him getting into a car with a woman (the pregnant girl) and also for the strange visit to that woman's house by someone asking for a bus in the middle of the night.

The fight between Ron and his younger brother could've been related if Ron had confessed to his younger brother what the frat had told him to do. Although this would beg the question as to why Ron's younger brother wouldn't have revealed this after Ron went missing.

What do you think?

But I wonder: after he joined the frat, then he's bound to them by loyalty, right? What if one of the other frat members got another girl pregnant, and now the frat required Ron to find out his blood type in order to lie and help a fellow member get out of his new responsibility? Somehow the pregnant girl finds out that he's going to lie and say he slept with her when he didn't, and someone in her family retaliates by luring him outside, kidnapping and attacking him, leaving him for dead. This would account both for the sighting of him getting into a car with a woman (the pregnant girl) and also for the strange visit to that woman's house by someone asking for a bus in the middle of the night.

The fight between Ron and his younger brother could've been related if Ron had confessed to his younger brother what the frat had told him to do. Although this would beg the question as to why Ron's younger brother wouldn't have revealed this after Ron went missing.

What do you think?
Do we know that Ron was really the one who got the blood test? Maybe Ron got a girl pregnant and then had a lookalike get a blood test in his name. It seems like that scenario would be more likely to lead to a revenge killing of Ron.

Do we know that Ron was really the one who got the blood test? Maybe Ron got a girl pregnant and then had a lookalike get a blood test in his name. It seems like that scenario would be more likely to lead to a revenge killing of Ron.

That's certainly possible—especially since 20 years had passed before the doctor came forward with the info about the blood test. I can't imagine how verifiable that doctor's visit would still be after two decades.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back