At 16 Cyntoia Brown Killed A "Customer" Should she be Released from Prison?

She killed the guy in cold blood and stole his money. The jury rejected her claims of self-defense. Just because she was under age, doesn't justify murder. She is an incredibly dangerous woman. No way should she be released, at this point. Maybe at some time in the future, but she hasn't served enough time yet. That said, her sentence does seem unusually long for the crime.

Cyntoia Brown: Parole panel split during clemency hearing for Nashville woman sentenced to life (with clip)

"A divided state board of parole sent no clear message to Gov. Bill Haslam on whether he should grant clemency to Cyntoia Brown, a Nashville woman serving a life sentence for a murder she committed in 2004 at age 16.

The six-member panel split three ways on their recommendations to the governor. Two voted to recommend that the governor grant clemency, allowing for her release from prison. Two members voted to recommend that Haslam deny her clemency bid, meaning she would continue to serve a life sentence.

Two members recommended the governor reduce Brown's current sentence of life in prison with the eligibility of parole after 51 years to a sentence that comes with the eligibility of parole after 25 years. That would mean Brown would continue to serve an additional 11 years in prison before getting a parole hearing.

A seventh board member was not present.

It will be up to Gov. Bill Haslam to accept or reject any of the recommendations....

Brown, now 30, confessed to shooting real estate agent Johnny Allen, 43, after he picked her up at an east Nashville Sonic Drive-In. ...

Brown's lawyers, led by Nashville attorney Charles Bone, have argued Brown did not have the mental state necessary to be culpable for murder...."

Cyntoia Brown: Parole panel split during clemency hearing for Nashville woman sentenced to life
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'The 16 Year Old Killer' Cyntoia's Story full documentary

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cyntoia Brown, sentenced at 16 to life in prison, pleads for mercy

Brown will get another opportunity to make her case for leniency this week. A U.S. federal appeals court in Cincinnati has agreed to hear oral arguments about whether her sentence is fair. Her attorneys are expected to point to recent Supreme Court rulings declaring mandatory life sentences for minors without the possibility of parole as being unconstitutional.

Gov. Bill Haslam weighs clemency for death row offenders, awaits Cyntoia Brown recommendation

"Gov. Bill Haslam will issue some pardons before he leaves office.

But the term-limited Tennessee governor has not decided whether he'll grant clemency in the highly publicized case of Cyntoia Brown, or if he'll stop an upcoming execution....

n May, the six-member Tennessee Board of Parole split on its recommendation to the governor. Two members suggested clemency for Brown, two thought the governor should deny her request and two others thought the governor should reduce her sentence in a way that would require her to spend at least another 11 years in prison....

Gov. Bill Haslam: 'We will definitely' issue pardons in coming months
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gov. Bill Haslam commuted a murder sentence. He agrees the case is similar to Cyntoia Brown's.

July 26, 2018

"Gov. Bill Haslam cautioned against reading too much into his decision Thursday to commute the 25-year sentence of a woman who pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.

But the term-limited governor acknowledged the case bears some similarities to the highly publicized clemency petition of Cyntoia Brown.

"I think it does, in the sense of you know, abuse in the background that was a circumstance there," Haslam told reporters Thursday afternoon....

In describing his decision on Martin's case, Haslam said everyone he consulted told him she was an "incredible example of rehabilitation." However, the Board of Parole never granted a hearing in Martin's case, according to a Haslam spokeswoman. ...

As of July 19, the board had yet to supply Haslam with Brown's formal clemency recommendation, despite holding her hearing in May. A board spokeswoman said the board is still finalizing the report from its hearing and would send that information to the governor's office soon.

The board's decision is not binding; Haslam may choose to act as he sees fit. Haslam warned against reading the tea leaves from his Martin decision to predict how he'll act on future clemency petitions.

"I wouldn’t necessarily jump to any conclusions one way or the other. We’re trying to look at every case on an individual basis," Haslam said. ..."

Gov. Bill Haslam commuted a murder sentence. He agrees the case is similar to Cyntoia Brown's.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cyntoia Brown can be released after serving 51 years in prison, Tennessee Supreme Court decides

Dec. 6, 2018

"The Tennessee Supreme Court said Thursday that Cyntoia Brown, a Nashville woman serving a life sentence in prison for a murder she committed at 16, could be eligible for release after she serves 51 years in prison.

The statement gave pivotal context to Brown’s fight to convince a federal appeals court to overturn her sentence.

Brown, now 30, has been locked up since 2004, when she was convicted of shooting 43-year-old Nashville real estate agent Johnny Allen.

Her legal team launched a challenge to her life sentence in the federal court system, pointing to a 2012 ruling from the U.S. Supreme Court saying that giving juveniles life sentences without parole was cruel and unusual in most cases.

The Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, which is considering Brown’s case, said Tennessee sentencing laws are unclear. Some sections suggested Brown's conviction should lead to life without parole while others suggested she should eventually be released...."

Cyntoia Brown can be released after serving 51 years in prison, Tennessee Supreme Court decides

girl6_1510934025638_9361944_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

( Johnny Allen)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No. She had a trial. No "do overs", or we admit our system of justice is completely flawed.

If she gets another trial, it is a slippery slope to "everyone" gets another trial, because they didn't get the outcome they wanted.

No doubt, she was offered a plea, she decided not to take it. She wanted to get off. Roll the dice. Lost.

Our legal system is confusing, and filled with inconsistencies. It drives me insane, because nothing is ever "cookie cutter".

I can only think of the countless other child victims who would have fallen prey to this "customer" had he not been stopped. She was a child. A severely abused child. God only knows what he would have been capable of or what he had done prior to that night. She should not be rotting away in a prison with no possible chance of rehabilitation. It's almost like society telling her she would have been better off being murdered and thrown in a dumpster that night.

Ethan Couch murdered four people and still shows no remorse for his crimes and he will spend a whopping two-years (if that) in jail.

THIS THIS THIS!!!! shows the difference , hes wealthy ( or was) white and she was poor abused and terrified (I'm sure )and AA , there is no comparison! HE should be in Prison for life , SHE should never been in prison at all, poor child

I haven't made up my mind how I feel about this case, lots of reading left to do...however there are a few things that stick out in my mind giving me many more questions. It's really bothering me that the victim was a client, not her pimp.

I'm just not getting a self defense feeling.

Court documents state:

https://tncourts.gov/sites/default/files/browncyntoiadeniseopn.pdf

Then this:

11 Awful Details About Cyntoia Brown, The 16-Year-Old Sex Trafficking Victim Serving A Life Sentence For Killing The Man Who 'Bought' Her

There is more at those links, interesting reads.

Just my thoughts.

This is all I need to read.

It wasn’t self defense..... it was murder. Jmo

May she rot in prison.

I personally don't care if she totally did it on purpose, a 43 year old man who buys a CHILD from a pimp , and he has a gun around her , What if she had been the one killed ? would anyone care? he bought a child for sex I think he deserves what happened. he wouldn't think twice about buying any of our daughters let that sink in JMO MOO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back