GUILTY NC - Man took family to lunch, left table and drove car into restaurant, killing 2, May 2018

I wonder if this man wasn't experiencing something similar to a mid-life crisis.
Maybe he was questioning his marriage, his ageing, his career stall, etc. But because
of his church relationship and traditional values maybe he couldn't admit to himself
or his pastor or his wife that he was very confused and wanted to make changes in his
life that would not be acceptable or understood by others. Maybe he was in conflict
and unable to sort it out. This could lead to depression and anxiety, IMO.

If you look at his FB he has NO pics of family, no mention or pics of wife, children, grandchildren. Seems he just wasn't into his family to me.
Maybe, in his mind, it was easier to take out his wife (w/ car and 'mental illness') rather
than divorce her and be shamed by family and community. Supposedly he was an
'icon' in his church according to his pastor. Just my opinion.

Also, I wonder if the medications he was prescribed by the psychiatrist affected his thinking. ?? Or was he in the beginning stages of dimentia or alzheimers??
Wonder if there was anyone in his family who had past mental problems or early dimentia or alzheimers??
Sadly, unless this goes to trial, we will probably never hear the actual 'cause' of this incident.

Any updates on any court hearing dates? Can't get into Gaston County court records...

TIA!

Any updates on any court hearing dates? Can't get into Gaston County court records...

TIA!
I don’t find a way to access the GASTON County Courts by name search. It appears to be just a calendar search:
Calendars /Criminal Calendars
GASTON County - Calendars / Criminal Calendars

There isn’t an updated Court Date on this Inmate Summary page, as it still lists 5/21/2018 1:00 PM:
Inmate Inquiry
Inmate Summary - Self, Roger Glenn
Demographic Information

• Name Self, Roger Glenn
  • Global Subject Number 317714
  • Date of Birth 7/11/1955
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Height 5' 7"
  • Weight 150.0 lbs
  • Address DALLAS, North Carolina 28034
  • Aliases
5/20/2018 7:09 PM
Booking History
2018-00005469

• Booking Date 5/20/2018 6:59 PM
  • Release Date
  • Prisoner Type Pretrial
  • Housing Facility Gaston County Jail -Main
  • Total Bond Amount $0.00
  • Total Bail Amount $0.00
  • Booking Origin Bessemer City Police Dept.
  • Arrest Location
Bond Number Bond Type Bond Amount
2018-00007661 Hold $0.00
Charge Description Offense Date Docket Number Sentence Date Disposition Sentence Length Crime Class Court Date Arresting Agency Attempt/Commit
Murder, First Degree 5/20/2018 7:04 PM 18CR56002 Hold Felony 5/21/2018 1:00 PM
Murder, First Degree 5/20/2018 7:04 PM 18CR56003 Hold Felony 5/21/2018 1:00 PM

As a country (US and UK) we decided that mental hospitals were cruel and inhumane. We didn't change the way these hospitals worked, we closed them and sent people into the community. We didn't increase the number of health workers that this would require. The mental health care system is now seriously overwhelmed. Soooooo sufferers and their families have to wait for a serious event to occur to even obtain minimal help, with little or no ongoing support. Then a major crime is committed and victims are created and only then is serious intervention available......in the form of jail or prison, which is cruel and inhumane. I am not suggesting that we open up mental hospitals and throw away the key for sufferers, but that we find a way of providing proper diagnosis, and intensive help, with ongoing support and access to the system as a safety net.

As a country (US and UK) we decided that mental hospitals were cruel and inhumane. We didn't change the way these hospitals worked, we closed them and sent people into the community. We didn't increase the number of health workers that this would require.
I agree 100%. It's one of the biggest mistakes I have seen made in my lifetime. Basically we threw the baby out with the bathwater. Which is a shame. Because a lot of great progress was made in the early 20th century to build really great mental health facilities, with great care provided. Then they became underfunded in the mid 20th century. Instead of fixing the funding problems, we just shut them down. I fully believe that institutions will have to be rebuilt. I don't see how we can continue to go on like this.

This case really brings to reality our crisis. I can't imagine how his family and love ones feel. You try and try to get help, but there's no way for the general public to know the steps necessary to get the help. Heck, even if you are lucky to get an involuntary hold, it's not long enough to stabilize someone. Rapid stabilization and back into society in a week with follow up 15 min appointments with a psychiatrist... and it doesn't work!

It can take months to find the right diagnosis, medication, or medication combo, years of therapy, and constant monitoring. Sadly it feels like the powers that be would rather someone commit suicide than to help.

Our brain, most important organ, and the one known the least about.

I have a friend who is a nurse in CA. She deals with a lot of seriously mentally ill and abusive patients at a local hospital. They are seriously mentally ill AND physically sick. But there is nothing that can be done legally. They are hospitalized till they are physically stabilized and then released on the streets again. It happens over and over again till they can't be physically stabilized and die.

Ending mental hospitals is like these cities that try and essentially outlaw being homeless. You can force the homeless off your streets, destroy their tents, outlaw people feeding them etc and even offer a portion of them a limited time in a shelter but it doesn't in any way END homelessness and it doesn't seem like that's the intent. The intent seems to be to just shift people around and away and lessen any responsibility towards them.

Did anyone really think we could just medicate everyone and that would be good enough in dealing with mental health care? This is why it's a freaking joke to pretend that requiring the population to have health insurance, whether they can afford it or not, is addressing the poor state of health care in this country. It's just a little bitty band aid on a giant festering wound.

Calling @SeesSeas - pretty please can you look on the court site & see if there might be a date yet?

TIA!
101x57px-LL-785ab814_wave.gif

Calling @SeesSeas - pretty please can you look on the court site & see if there might be a date yet?

TIA!
101x57px-LL-785ab814_wave.gif
I don’t find a way to access the GASTON County Courts by name search. It appears to be just a calendar search:
Calendars /Criminal Calendars
GASTON County - Calendars / Criminal Calendars

There isn’t an updated Court Date on this Inmate Summary page, as it still lists 5/21/2018 1:00 PM:
Inmate Inquiry
I don't find any update. :(
The comments a few days ago on this news FB page express similar frustration at finding no update: The Gaston Gazette

Court date still listed as 5/21/2018:
Charge Description Offense Date Docket Number Sentence Date Disposition Sentence Length Crime Class Court Date
Murder, First Degree 5/20/2018 7:04 PM 18CR56002 Hold Felony 5/21/2018 1:00 PM
Murder, First Degree 5/20/2018 7:04 PM 18CR56003 Hold Felony 5/21/2018 1:00 PM

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo