GUILTY KS - Oliver Ortiz, 9 months, dies of head trauma at Eudora daycare, 29 Sept 2016 *Arrest*

Eudora baby’s parents sue operators of home day care where he died

The parents of a baby boy who died in 2016 after allegedly suffering fatal injuries at a Eudora home day care are suing the operators of the day care.

Gina Brunton and Morgan Eric Brunton are named as defendants in a wrongful death lawsuit filed Thursday in Johnson County District Court, according to court records. The plaintiffs are Robert and Kaylen Ortiz, parents of 9-month-old Oliver Ortiz.

Carrody M. Buchhorn, 43, of Eudora is scheduled to go on trial beginning July 16. She remains on house arrest.

Prosecutors have said the only person with Oliver when his injuries occurred was Buchhorn.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2018/apr/19/eudora-babys-parents-sue-operators-home-daycare-wh/

Trial underway for woman accused of murdering baby at Eudora day care

The murder trial of a woman accused of killing a baby she cared for at a Eudora home day care opened Monday with jury selection.

The trial for Carrody M. Buchhorn, 44, of Eudora, is scheduled to last a week and a half, running through July 25 in Douglas County District Court.

At the beginning of the jury selection process Monday morning, potential jurors — with more expected to be called — packed the courtroom of Judge Sally Pokorny.
She told them, without adding further details, “this is a case where a child has died at day care.”

So sad, so avoidable.

One of my nieces was colicky. Sometimes my BIL would bring her over and I'd walk her around the house for an hour (or 3 or 4) until he felt better or Mom got off work. Walk away from the crib, Folks, let the kid cry a while, enlist help, go back & try to calm some more.

BTW, Jewels53, Eudora did NOT look like this while I attended KU!

So sad, so avoidable.

One of my nieces was colicky. Sometimes my BIL would bring her over and I'd walk her around the house for an hour (or 3 or 4) until he felt better or Mom got off work. Walk away from the crib, Folks, let the kid cry a while, enlist help, go back & try to calm some more.

BTW, Jewels53, Eudora did NOT look like this while I attended KU!
I lived in Eudora from 2001 until 2009 just a couple of blocks away from where this happened. There were several new subdivision's in the area and this was one of them. It was a Day-Care when we lived there, not sure if it was the same one or not. Sad case all the way around. Eudora is a growing community and is a nice place to live lots of young family's.

Lawrence isn't the same anymore either, it has become more crime ridden. imo

Um, Jewels, um I was at The Cradle of Basketball in the '70's....

A Douglas County jury heard tearful testimony Tuesday from the mother of a 9-month-old boy who died at a Eudora day care center nearly two years ago.

Kaylen Ortiz, the mother of Oliver Ortiz, cried on the witness stand as she recounted the phone call she received around 3:30 p.m. on Sept. 29, 2016, from her husband, Robert, saying paramedics were coming because their son was unresponsive and the operators of the day care center were giving him CPR.

Robert Ortiz also testified about that same conversation, only speaking more calmly in soft, low tones, using only short sentences in response to each question.

At murder trial, parents testify about their 9-month-old son’s death at day care center

However, Stoermer also said he saw no one perform inappropriate interventions on the baby, drop him or hurt him in any way.

“We acted with a sense of urgency,” Stoermer said. “We were very quick and deliberate in our methods, but we were not dangerous or hurtful in any way.”

Stoermer said he saw a large, blood-filled bruise appear on Oliver’s head after he reached Lawrence Memorial Hospital, but that it had not been there earlier.

Rieg, the prosecutor, asked detailed questions about Stoermer’s observations and actions. Here is one of those exchanges:

“Did you see anybody punch him in the abdomen?”

“No.”

“Did you see anybody step on his abdomen?”

“No.”

“Did you see anybody do CPR on his abdomen, pushing his abdomen all the way to the floor through his organs?”

“No.”

Oliver never revived. After undergoing CPR at the day care, in the ambulance and at the hospital, he was pronounced dead.

Wednesday morning’s testimony also included Oliver’s family doctor, who said he’d never exhibited out-of-the-ordinary injuries or demeanor problems in his checkups or doctor visits, which took place from the time he was a newborn until a few weeks before his death.

At murder trial of day care provider, Eudora first responders detail attempts to revive baby

Prosecutors played video of that interview in court Thursday morning.

In the video, Buchhorn appeared with chin-length brown hair, wearing glasses, a black T-shirt with a graphic on the front, a black hooded jacket and sneakers.

While being questioned, Buchhorn leaned back and forth in her chair and at times laughed intermittently while answering questions.

First, Flick asked Buchhorn about working at the day care.

Buchhorn said that based on state rules about the number of caregivers and ages of the children, the day care was overcapacity.

She said she worked there because she liked the daytime hours and that Brunton had hired her from another day care where she’d been working fewer hours.

Buchhorn complained about her boss, saying she didn’t think she was treated fairly and earned just over minimum wage. She said she felt like Brunton didn’t always do her share when the two were working together and that she went upstairs routinely during the day.

Day care owner testifies at murder trial that she did not hurt infant; jurors see video of defendant’s police interview

I sure hope she testify's so I can hear her side of the story. Complaining about your job when you go to the police station. smh

Sara Shepherd‏ @saramarieshep 9m9 minutes ago
Awkward court moment —Defendant's house-arrest ankle bracelet begins beeping in middle of testimony. In recess while they figure it out. Attorneys correctly point out, she can't exactly just turn it off, much less take it off.

I guess this is the defendants ankle monitor. Sara Shepherd is with the Lawrence Journal World.

In Carrody M. Buchhorn’s second police interview, a detective quizzed her for two hours about the minutiae of a busy day in the home day care where she worked.

Through all the feedings, diaper changes and naps before the death of 9-month-old Oliver “Ollie” Ortiz, Buchhorn noted nothing out of the ordinary. She said she didn’t know of anything, accidental or otherwise, that could have possibly led to the child’s death.

At that point, the interview took a hard turn.

“I know that his death is a result of him being in you guys’ care, and I can absolutely prove that,” Lawrence Police Department Detective Jamie Lawson told Buchhorn. “There is absolutely no way that you guys don’t know what happened … there was an incident that was traumatic enough that would have caused his death.”

Jury sees video of day care worker accused of murdering infant being confronted by detective

Key — and graphic — evidence was presented Friday at the trial of a day care worker charged with murdering a baby in her care.

The court viewed photos of the deceased infant at the hospital, then photos of major internal injuries that were not visible until the coroner cut into his body.

Chief among those was an inches-long fracture at the base of his skull, beneath a pool of dark internal bleeding that covered nearly a quarter of the back of the baby’s head.

Autopsy photos show internal injures of baby allegedly murdered by Eudora day care worker

State rests in Eudora day care murder trial; defense presents video of baby’s autopsy

“Somebody isn’t telling us something.”

This is among the observations, on video, made by then-Douglas County coroner Erik Mitchell as he discovers and explores a skull fracture and related internal bruising while examining the body of a 9-month-old boy.

The video of the autopsy was played Monday for jurors in Douglas County District Court.

The state rested its case and the defense team began putting on evidence Monday, the sixth day of a trial against the woman accused of killing the baby while he was in her care at a Eudora home day care.

Rieg tediously quizzed Wigren about his curriculum vitae dating back years, including titles of presentations he attended, talks he had given to community groups and particulars of a number of specific criminal cases in which he had testified.

In a somewhat confrontational exchange that followed — with Morrison objecting intermittently — Rieg asked questions the doctor repeatedly said he could not answer without consulting documents, and the doctor repeatedly corrected Rieg’s pronunciation of anatomical terms and said he could not understand her questions.

At one point, the judge paused to ask Buchhorn’s defense attorneys, who were whispering during testimony, if they needed a break to consult.

“We just were unprepared for this type of cross-examination,” Veronica Dersch said, and the judge called a 5 minute recess.

State rests in Eudora day care murder trial; defense presents video of baby’s autopsy

I wonder what that is all about? Trying to attack the Dr's credentials?

For those of you that don't know Paul Morrison is a former District Attorney and Kansas Attorney General and he is representing the defendant. I wish I knew how he got involved in this case.

Sara Shepherd‏ @saramarieshep 44m44 minutes ago
Quick court recess Twitter update — defendant just took stand in Eudora day care murder case. Says she didn't hurt baby Oliver, didn't see anyone else hurt him, doesn't know why he became unresponsive. Prosecutor, however, points out she was last one to be with him alive.

Prosecutor Simpson’s questioning of Buchhorn confirmed that she’d seen no previous injuries on him and no signs of prior head trauma or abuse. Buchhorn confirmed that at one point several weeks earlier when she had awakened Oliver from a nap and he was lethargic, alarming her, his parents took him to the doctor and learned that he had an ear infection.

Simpson then grilled Buchhorn on her attitude about her work on that day in particular.

He specifically referenced texts — which were not previously presented during the trial — that she’d sent to a friend the day before Oliver’s death calling her boss “stupid” and a profane name, which was not stated in court. The texts said Buchhorn had planned to leave at 2:30 p.m. that day but was asked to stay and close the day care instead, Simpson said.

Simpson confronted Buchhorn about how, on a stressful day, she might have felt to have a baby wake up and interrupt her only downtime when all the other children were napping.

Buchhorn did protest this.

“No, it doesn’t ruin it,” she said.

Defendant takes stand in Eudora day care murder trial, denies hurting baby; jury deliberations to start soon

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus
Back