Welcome To Websleuths

Status
Not open for further replies.
To multi-quote.

Go to the first post you wish to quote and press Reply, then repeat for any others you wish to include. They will all be found in the Post Reply box. You can then proceed in the normal way.

Last edited:
I've read the Tutorial "How to post images" and this is a test to upload a full size pic (73.4 KB) from my PC.

I clicked Upload a File and then selected the pic.
"3%" appeared underneath the Post Reply box and disappeared after a second.
A thumbnail also appeared. To its right it said "Insert: Thumbnail". There was no option to select a full size image.

I then clicked on the thumbnail. A very small image appeared so I deleted it. Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong.
When you click on the thumbnail it should open up to a bigger image.

On a related note, @WS Admin You must have a long list on your queued items but when you have a moment the private forums don't have the option to 'upload a file'.

I hate to complain about the new site at all, but there are issues for many people that could reduce the amount of activity on the site. Overall, this is definitely a superior web version of the forum. However, I think they will see less activity on the site, because for the many Tapatalk users who are used to using a very intuitive program, it's beyond frustrating. Things that are difficult and preventing some of us from engaging generally, and especially with new threads are:

Tapatalk had at least 3 categories (more, I think) at the top margin for showing us a running list of activity on subscribed threads, new threads, our friends' activity on threads, etc. This is how I became engaged in new threads. If I had to go through the hoops on the web, old or new version, I would have posted and engaged 95% less. My activity on the site didn't spike until I discovered tapatalk last year.

Finding a list of your own most recent posts was easy.

Viewing the basics on your profile, including those you followed and such was very simple.

Messaging was super simple.

In short, I think that Tapatalk's intuitive format likely drew a lot more people into being active. It was an incredible tool for the WS community, and I'm betting, based on the comments I've seen, that it increased overall activity for many others.

This new stuff is awesome if you were viewing the site on the web. But for tapatalk users, it feels like several steps backwards .

I'm not saying WS is going to lose tapatalk users entirely, BUT I do think that many will become less engaged, not because they want to be, but because we simply aren't going to see stuff, old and new, in the various feeds we used to have access to. And for many of us, we don't have the time to dig. I tried last night for hours to figure out how to access similar feeds or find ways to make up for that loss, and couldn't.

So I just want admin to be aware of this, and if they see usage stats go down, consider that this could be a cause.

Still, kudos on making the web version much better.

When you click on the thumbnail it should open up to a bigger image.

On a related note, @WS Admin You must have a long list on your queued items but when you have a moment the private forums don't have the option to 'upload a file'.

Thank you Harmony. Yes, the thumbnail will open up to a larger image, however @WS Admin said it was preferable to open a full-size image which is what I want to do.

I've noticed that underneath every Google image they say it may be subject to copyright so I prefer not to go down that path.

To multi-quote.

Go to the first post you wish to quote and press Reply, then repeat for any others you wish to include. They will all be found in the Post Reply box. You can then proceed in the normal way.

ahhhh

just stumbled across that list for trophies

It is an oddity IMO

I suppose its purpose could be obvious while at the same time seems silly !!

It hit me like it might be understandable for a kid!

as long as it does not make one DO anything .....whatever............but I had no idea of what it meant

Tricia if you could please link trophies to cutting automatic checks I am sure we all would be grateful

As adults with bills checks matter more than reinforcement!!

thats funny !!

caylee test

Thank you Harmony. Yes, the thumbnail will open up to a larger image, however @WS Admin said it was preferable to open a full-size image which is what I want to do.

I've noticed that underneath every Google image they say it may be subject to copyright so I prefer not to go down that path.

@JudgeJudi Please see this and the post I made just before this one. The first one I clicked "Insert Thumbnail" the second one (this one) I clicked "More Options" and uploaded a file, did not insert thumbnail, but just wrote "Caylee test" in the message box. This then shows up as an attachment and I can click it to make it bigger.

Is that what you were referring too?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 15.47.21.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 15.47.21.png
    426.7 KB · Views: 12

cool

that history tab is delightful shows the last 50 threads one is interested in !!

I am sure I am rare.

Have nothing to do with FB -- hate it

Is there some way to make it totally disappear here on my account ? It results in a lot of scrolling

I am sure there are a few that would want that option

I am also thinking there may be some stuff on the platform that a computer person might not be able to adjust

admins mods Dave is that accurate ?

And it seems there are a LOT less preferences each user can set for their account.

The only thing I have found is for the alerts

Are there more places to adjust "stuff" for ones personal preferences

I am sure I am rare.

Is there some way to make it totally disappear here on my account ? It results in a lot of scrolling

I am also thinking there may be some stuff on the platform that a computer person might not be able to adjust

And it seems there are a LOT less preferences each user can set for their account.

BBM.

Hi CARIIS: Is there some way to make what totally disappear?

caylee test

@JudgeJudi Please see this and the post I made just before this one. The first one I clicked "Insert Thumbnail" the second one (this one) I clicked "More Options" and uploaded a file, did not insert thumbnail, but just wrote "Caylee test" in the message box. This then shows up as an attachment and I can click it to make it bigger.

Is that what you were referring too?

Thank you Ana. Yes, I've seen both your images and have had both those results too. If I click insert Thumbnail (the word), it adds the thumbnail in the usual way and when clicked on will open into a full size image on the thread, even a very large pic. I just feel it's a pity that we can't have the full size ones remain full size as before. Having said that, there's one forum in particular where the images have been truly massive, and when someone replies with quote they don't remove it so a huge amount of space is wasted unnecessarily.

I love this new look forum as it's so clean and easy to read. It was definitely worth the wait. I had serious issues with the previous version after the major upgrade about 18 months to 2 years ago. Dave was aware of my problems and told me the new version would fix everything ... and it has. I couldn't be more pleased.

BBM.

Hi CARIIS: Is there some way to make what totally disappear?

hi

to make all the facebook stuff on each page just cease and desist existing on my account!!

It is just bothersome for someone who disdains FB!!

hi

to make all the facebook stuff on each page just cease and desist existing on my account!!

It is just bothersome for someone who disdains FB!!

Oh, you mean the updates from the Websleuths FB page? I'll admit, I like that being there :p

Unfortunately, I still have not figured out how to mark my spot, I continue to bookmark on my tablet.

I do agree love that long posts do not appear when replying to a post. Awesome feature.

Thank you for your post.

ETA: Will I ever learn all these many cool features?
I did a couple of screenshots to show you how to “mark your spot” on a thread you are following. First you need to mark the thread as watched in the upper right hand corner of the beginning of the thread.

Then you go to your Watched Threads and any threads with new posts will be there. When you open each one it will take you to the spot where a new post has been written.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 1E364C6B-574F-42F6-A80C-9D2D08673AF5.jpeg
    1E364C6B-574F-42F6-A80C-9D2D08673AF5.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 14
  • C138EEA3-8688-4F00-AC89-6EACDA46B06B.jpeg
    C138EEA3-8688-4F00-AC89-6EACDA46B06B.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 11
I am sure I am rare.

I thought there were better privacy options, but I can't tell you now exactly how I got to those!

Also, the Grammarly app doesn't work for this site, which is odd. I use it a lot to combat all the awful things that happen when I type on my phone.

I did a couple of screenshots to show you how to “mark your spot” on a thread you are following. First you need to mark the thread as watched in the upper right hand corner of the beginning of the thread.

Then you go to your Watched Threads and any threads with new posts will be there. When you open each one it will take you to the spot where a new post has been written.

Hope this helps.
How do you get it to take you to the first new unread post, because say I was on page 28 when I last visited and there are now 38 pages in a fast moving thread, in my watched threads tab it opens the thread on page 38 and when I click on the 'go to first unread' button it only takes me to the top of page 38, it doesn't take me back to where I last stopped reading, (pg 28 for eg).

How do you get it to take you to the first new unread post, because say I was on page 28 when I last visited and there are now 38 pages in a fast moving thread, in my watched threads tab it opens the thread on page 38 and when I click on the 'go to last unread' button it only takes me to the top of page 38, it doesn't take me back to where I last stopped reading, (pg 28 for eg).
When I look at my watched threads and click the thread title, it takes me to where I left off UNLESS I have recently clicked "Mark all threads read." That caused me to lose my place in everything and took me back to the beginning in all (instead of the end).

Thank you vmmking. So I need to click on the title. I will try that next time, I was clicking on the latest post right hand side and then clicking on go to first unread after the thread opened.

Oh, well, it also takes me back to the first post instead of the last if I have clicked on a watched thread that has not had a new post since I last looked.
When I look at my watched threads and click the thread title, it takes me to where I left off UNLESS I have recently clicked "Mark all threads read." That caused me to lose my place in everything and took me back to the beginning in all (instead of the end).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam