Welcome To Websleuths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mods - Regarding the point system and warnings prior to a TO, how is the warning communicated when you get a point or points against you?

I know that previously, unless you went back to look at all your recent posts (and I don't know why anyone would do that regularly) and happened to see a mod edit with a note, you just didn't know it happened. So now, when you get a point against you, Tricia said you get a warning, but how is this communicated? Or is it like the old way, and you would have to be reviewing your recent posts to see if a mod found a problem with it? Will we actually get a message or some sort of alert in the alerts tab now? And will it say specifically how many points we got?

How do you get it to take you to the first new unread post, because say I was on page 28 when I last visited and there are now 38 pages in a fast moving thread, in my watched threads tab it opens the thread on page 38 and when I click on the 'go to first unread' button it only takes me to the top of page 38, it doesn't take me back to where I last stopped reading, (pg 28 for eg).

The button you need to click to go to your first unread is outlined in pink on this screenshot
Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 11.22.03 AM.png

No, that didn't work either. The reason I draft long posts in Word is because my internet has dropped out a number of times after a lot of time has been spent composing it in WS. I have my PC set to do autosaves every minute for the same reason. At least I lose very little that way.

Thank you for you spending the time trying to help. I appreciate it.

Maybe Dave could have a look at this issue.

Make sure you have the check box that says "remember me" under your login checked because WS logs you out after a certain amount of time even if you are actively doing something on the site.

Thank you vmmking. So I need to click on the title. I will try that next time, I was clicking on the latest post right hand side and then clicking on go to first unread after the thread opened.
Yes by clicking on the title it takes me to the first unread post. I’m also on my iPhone so not sure if it works the same on a computer. I was over on Lucas Hernandez’ thread which moves at the speed of lightening so sorry about not responding sooner.

Oh - forgot to ask earlier - is there still a list of Birthdays for the day? I always like to look at that. Or did it too disappear....

TIA!

Make sure you have the check box that says "remember me" under your login checked because WS logs you out after a certain amount of time even if you are actively doing something on the site.
In the login area, I don't see "remember me". Mine has "Stay logged in", which I checked that box.

Oh - forgot to ask earlier - is there still a list of Birthdays for the day? I always like to look at that. Or did it too disappear....

TIA!

Sadly we have lost the calendar. However if you look at the bottom of the right sidebar you will see today's birthdays.

Everybody should read this: Above I called it the right sidebar, this is only true if you are viewing thru a larger viewport ie laptop or even a tablet in landscape for some. For others with a smaller viewport ie phone in portrait position, the sidebar moves to the bottom and some of the things you see on a larger screen may vanish completely (like the top button was not there for phones in portrait [now added]). I suggest everybody to explore Websleuths on a phone, tablet and a full monitor. When testing with handheld devices you should look at both landscape and portrait mode. You will see some big differences and get a better idea of which way is best to surf Websleuths for your own individual needs.

Sadly we have lost the calendar. However if you look at the bottom of the right sidebar you will see today's birthdays.

Everybody should read this: Above I called it the right sidebar, this is only true if you are viewing thru a larger viewport ie laptop or even a tablet in landscape for some. For others with a smaller viewport ie phone in portrait position, the sidebar moves to the bottom and some of the things you see on a larger screen may vanish completely (like the top button was not there for phones in portrait [now added]). I suggest everybody to explore Websleuths on a phone, tablet and a full monitor. When testing with handheld devices you should look at both landscape and portrait mode. You will see some big differences and get a better idea of which way is best to surf Websleuths for your own individual needs.

Thanks Dave! That's what I was looking for - just whose (or is it who's) birthday it is for the day! Much appreciated with all your hard work here!

Sidebar right margin: "Follow Websleuths on Facebook."

Thanks BDE. I see that but that is all I see. I was thinking there would be much more than that one line. It doesn't even seem to be a link for me to click so I'm not sure of the purpose of it there. But I don't have any objection if people want to follow WS on FB. :rolleyes::p

Awesome !

Dear Websleuths Members and Guests,

We have looked forward to this day for a long time.

We just delivered a brand new bouncing software platform with all kinds of cool things we could only dream about before.

Please do not get scared. Almost everything is the same and those things that have changed have changed for the better.

The first thing you should try is our new way of sending Private Messages. PM's are now called "Conversations". You can invite up to 5 other people (with you equals 6 people on a conversation) and the conversation looks exactly like a thread on a public forum. However, it is not public, no one in management can see it, and the only people who can read the conversation are those who are actually participating.

One of the biggest changes is going to be how we handle putting members on timeout.

Your timeouts are all done by a point system. This will take away any guesswork.

You are allowed up to 5 points in a 30 day period before you are timed out. The time out length depends on the amount of points you end up. Say you have 4 points and you do something really horrible like call someone stupid. Calling someone stupid could be worth 4 points. Now all of a sudden you have 8 points and that means you get a 5 day time out.

Please do not hold me to these exact numbers. I'm trying to remember and to be honest, my memory sucks more than a sucker fish in a sucking contest.

You will get warnings and your warning is assigned a point value. Let's say being snarky is two points. Those two points will stay on your user name for 30 days then the points drop off.

No one should be getting any points right?

Please remember if you get 5 points or more in 30 days then you are timed out for three days. As the points against you go up so does the time you spend I timeout.
You can solve the problem of being timed out by behaving and reading our Terms of Service.

There is more to tell you and I'll be coming back and answering any questions you may have.

We ask for your patience as we are all on a learning curve here.

Finally, thanks to Dave our IT guy for doing such a good job and making sure everything ran smoothly and he was able to get us up and running 24 hours earlier than expected.

OK fire awa y my true crime angels.

This I believe is going to take some getting used too. The good news is this system takes the guess work out of time outs.

Whenever you get any points given to you because of a violation you will automatically get a notification. In the notification will be the warning and how many points are now on your account because of TOS violation .

Example: let's say you post in the Casey Anthony forum something snarky to another member like, " vmmking nice post. Maybe George and Cindy will let you move in with them"

That is obviously a snarky sarcastic post.

You would receive a notification that your post has to be edited and why and you will be told how many points are against your account.

Most infractions are 1 to 2 points. The points drop off after 30 days.

If you get 5 points or more in a 30 day period you get an automatic time out.

I am setting up my computer. When I am finished I will post more and give more examples .

Thanks,
Tricia

Mods - Regarding the point system and warnings prior to a TO, how is the warning communicated when you get a point or points against you?

I know that previously, unless you went back to look at all your recent posts (and I don't know why anyone would do that regularly) and happened to see a mod edit with a note, you just didn't know it happened. So now, when you get a point against you, Tricia said you get a warning, but how is this communicated? Or is it like the old way, and you would have to be reviewing your recent posts to see if a mod found a problem with it? Will we actually get a message or some sort of alert in the alerts tab now? And will it say specifically how many points we got?

"Maybe George and Cindy will let you move in with them"

SABBM. :eek::eek::eek::eek: What a thought!!!! :p

Thanks Tricia.

Say if someone was to be snarky and they received 2 points, then within the next 30 days they get, say, another 2 points, will the second notification let us know how many we have in total? Or is there somewhere we can go to check how many points we are on even after an alert has been and gone?

Thanks BDE. I see that but that is all I see. I was thinking there would be much more than that one line. It doesn't even seem to be a link for me to click so I'm not sure of the purpose of it there. But I don't have any objection if people want to follow WS on FB. :rolleyes::p

Me too, so I tried another browser and over there I see a big block of Facebook feed, so I guess one of my browser addons is blocking it (I have a few security/anti-tracker addons). It's not anything like as intrusive as some posts made it sound though, so ignorable enough for me even if it showed in my usual browser, it's about the same size as the Who's online box, with a scrollbar to see more if people are interested.

For those who do NOT want to see the Facebook stuff, some experimenting shows it's Ghostery which is blocking it for me, so add that to your browser and it should be gone (for those not seeing it who want to, allow "Facebook Connect" in your privacy addons).

Me too, so I tried another browser and over there I see a big block of Facebook feed, so I guess one of my browser addons is blocking it (I have a few security/anti-tracker addons). It's not anything like as intrusive as some posts made it sound though, so ignorable enough for me even if it showed in my usual browser, it's about the same size as the Who's online box, with a scrollbar to see more if people are interested.

For those who do NOT want to see the Facebook stuff, some experimenting shows it's Ghostery which is blocking it for me, so add that to your browser and it should be gone (for those not seeing it who want to, allow "Facebook Connect" in your privacy addons).

Oh thanks, that makes more sense. I'm using Firefox Private browsing and I don't see any of that stuff under the heading. I don't think I have any add-ons. So anyone who is looking to cut down on the FB links in the sidebar might try private browsing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annie151