Found Deceased Ks - Lucas Hernandez, 5, Wichita, 17 Feb 2018 #25 Arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Private Investigator says Emily Glass told him a different version of what happened to slain boy, Lucas Hernandez: Report
After the grim discovery of the remains of Kansas boy Lucas Hernandez, who vanished from his home in February, the private investigator who found the little boy opened up about talking to the woman who led him to the child’s remains.

The Wichita Eagle reports that private investigator David Marshburn was contacted by the paternal grandmother to help find 5-year-old Lucas, who vanished on February 17 while under the care of his father’s live-in girlfriend, Emily Glass. Since she reported him missing, Glass has maintained that she took a nap at around 3:30 p.m. on the day Lucas disappeared, according to police. Glass said she woke up three hours later to find the back door open and Lucas missing. Marshburn, however, indicated that Glass told him a different version.

According to Sheila Medlam, an organizer of a search group for Lucas, Masrshburn told her that Glass told him “she put Lucas to bed Friday night (Feb. 16) and when she woke up Saturday morning (Feb. 17), he was dead.”

According to an arrest affidavit and a written statement by the suspect, Glass wrote that on February 16, she woke up with Lucas and her toddler daughter between 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. She wrote she changed her daughter’s diaper, then helped Lucas out of his pull-up diaper and into his underwear before turning the television on for the children to watch. After giving the children breakfast, Glass wrote she walked outside to smoke a cigarette, then walked back inside the home and lounged around with children and watched cartoons.

Before the news broke of Lucas being found I was reading a lot on monkey bar ( 7 ft high) falls and the injuries that have happened. Concussions, headaches, dizziness, confusion, nausea and vomiting, lacerations (cuts) and contusions (bruises) are also on the list of most common injuries.

Lucas fell on January 22 and was in the nurses office on January 23 vomiting.

I also read about internal injuries children had after a fall and they were not taken to the ER. to get checked out. So this was on my mind before we learned Lucas was found. I wondered if he had a head injury and internal injuries from his fall the end of January. On top of what happened that caused his passing.

And The Most Dangerous Place For Kids On The Playground Is...

Trauma on the Monkey Bars? Playground Concussions Are on the Rise
This is all assuming he fell off the monkey bars in such a way as to cause all those injuries, versus being beat up by an adult or two to cause all those injuries. I'm more inclined to believe it was the latter of the two possibilities.

First let me start with An apology to any I offended with my thoughts. I also think this topic is very important and this forum and thread is absolutely appropriate for this discussion. So that Lucas and all the other children’s deaths are not in vain. Change is needed. Now is the time to talk about it. While there are some very strong opinions on here. Let’s please be respectful. Everyone has a valid point. Everyone here desperately wants to save these children. I feel that we are talking about two very different types of people. I thought I was clear in my earlier post. There are the evil, sociopaths, no fellow feeling, narcissistic. This category very well may not ever benefit from “help”. They should not be allowed to have children or be around them. The other type of abuser is the one that comes from a long cycle of abuse. Many times turns to drugs to cope. Many times lies about their issues. Why? Fear. Fear of losing control. Fear of being judged. Fear of losing their children that they do love. But can’t control their impulses. These people do need help. My mother fits this category. My ex husband fits this category. They are not evil people. They are abused, they are broken, they need help. I wish my mother would’ve been able to get help without fear of all those things. My life would’ve been very different. Where does EG fall? It’s not for me to say. The fact that the PI was able to get her to open up. To lift this weight of her shoulders. Tells me there is somewhat of a conscience in her. Sociopaths, narcissistic do not feel guilt. I still want her to pay for what she did. I’m not making excuses for her. Guilty verdict is definitely warranted here. I’m only talking about change. Can we prevent this for other children?

First let me start with An apology to any I offended with my thoughts. I also think this topic is very important and this forum and thread is absolutely appropriate for this discussion. So that Lucas and all the other children’s deaths are not in vain. Change is needed. Now is the time to talk about it. While there are some very strong opinions on here. Let’s please be respectful. Everyone has a valid point. Everyone here desperately wants to save these children. I feel that we are talking about two very different types of people. I thought I was clear in my earlier post. There are the evil, sociopaths, no fellow feeling, narcissistic. This category very well may not ever benefit from “help”. They should not be allowed to have children or be around them. The other type of abuser is the one that comes from a long cycle of abuse. Many times turns to drugs to cope. Many times lies about their issues. Why? Fear. Fear of losing control. Fear of being judged. Fear of losing their children that they do love. But can’t control their impulses. These people do need help. My mother fits this category. My ex husband fits this category. They are not evil people. They are abused, they are broken, they need help. I wish my mother would’ve been able to get help without fear of all those things. My life would’ve been very different. Where does EG fall? It’s not for me to say. The fact that the PI was able to get her to open up. To lift this weight of her shoulders. Tells me there is somewhat of a conscience in her. Sociopaths, narcissistic do not feel guilt. I still want her to pay for what she did. I’m not making excuses for her. Guilty verdict is definitely warranted here. I’m only talking about change. Can we prevent this for other children?
Exactly what I was referring to in my reply... people who want help

I have much sympathy for people with mental illness, or a lifetime of pain that influences their "today" decisions. But, in a civil society such as ours, our seasoned laws and centuries of learning and evolution have brought us to a place where we not only know right from wrong, we also have services available to help us if we can't control our own selves. Behaviors on the level in which they cause harm to others is not only not unacceptable, it's preventable. As adults, we each have the choice to continue on a path or seek help if our path runs askew. There are no free passes when it comes to hurting others. It's intolerable, unforgivable, and preventable.

There are more people in this world than not with an excuse to run off the rails, yet they don't. They find their inner strength, self reflect, learn and grow. Some of the most amazing people in the world have pretty terrible pasts. We see it here in WS all the time. Yet, we somehow not only rise above it, we use our suffering as a tool to help others. There is a term, I can't remember the name, for people who sympathize with their abusers. But for those of us outside that personal bubble, we find the behavior abhorrent and criminal. It's a good idea to try and separate emotion from the equation and focus on the laws when it comes to abuse. I personally give no passes to anyone who harms others when it can be prevented. But, that's just me. I'm kind of stubborn like that.

Throughout this process the subject of change has come up. New laws we want passed. Even calling it Lucas Law. I agree wholeheartedly that change is imperative. Most are saying they want harsher punishment and swifter action. Not allowing these abusers around children. I mostly agree. I have been one of those that used the word evil regarding EG. I have also previously posted that she had no excuse even if she was abused as a child. As an adult she should’ve sought out help if she couldn’t control her impulse to lash out. But I’ve been thinking about this a lot. What would’ve been the repercussions of getting help? If EG would’ve admitted to anyone that she did cause the bruises, scrapes, etc. and asked for help for not being able to control herself, what would the outcome for her be? Is this why she never sought out help, counseling, medication if needed? We have a Safe Haven Law. You can drop off a new born to fire station, hospital without repercussion. This law has saved countless infants. What if Lucas Law is: “I can’t control my impulses. I know I need help. I don’t want the children to suffer. Help me before it’s too late.” If the abusers get help wouthout fear. Maybe they would? Maybe I’m crazy for even thinking it would work. I know there are truly evil people. Maybe EG is just that, evil. But I can’t help but wonder, if the fear of repercussion was taken out of the equation. Would we still have our little man?
I agree. But do you think the abusers realize they have a problem in the first place? Anyone I’ve ever been around that has major anger issues doesn’t see it. All they see when anger has surfaced is the problem that’s made them so angry in the first place. I don’t think EG was seeing the damage she was inflicting on Lucas. She was used to seeing him every day. I feel she only saw a place she could take out her anger. She was beyond seeing what was once a charming lil boy that was once full of life. Lucas was an object to her. She was blinded by anger imo. I’m sure her intent wasn’t to kill him & live the rest of her life in prison. A tiny body can not endure what she put him through. Every time she would strike him or deprive him of food it was gradually killing him. I believe her when she says she woke up to find he had died. I think a bath the night before she thought would revive him. Just enough so she could continue taking her frustrations out on him again & again..

There is no fight. There is simply clarity in claiming children's needs first. I threw my conflicted experience into the ring as evidence of what sometimes must occur to put children's safety over one's own sense of love or 'needs'.

EG herself has a history. It's long. She is nothing, if not consistent.

EG has been provided access to assistance and she made a mockery of it, and everyone who is trying to get the tools they require to get to a better place. Our loved ones... are not like this person.

We don't know her; because she only shows what she WANTS others to know. What has been revealed is an embarrassing accident of the first order, requiring massive damage control.

I myself cannot unsee what she has done for years, or the source of her lies - the truth of the matter laid bare is what makes her a monster.
Actions speak louder than words

We don't need to look to our own lives to pad out an entire fluffy cute personality to cover her motives and agendas, because that is what she naturally does to those she knows to cover her motives and agendas, knowing full well that they are unacceptable.

EG continues to be highly committed to concealing and not addressing her own rotting character.
We prayed for the truth to come to light, and sure enough some may pray for it to 'go back into the darkness from which it came' as the magnitude of this grows.

The miracle of Lucas & his life stands in stark contrast not as a means to condemn EG (she is condemned with every lie she continues to create); but as a lesson and guide of what is at stake and why we must not confuse what things like EG are.

There is a great deal of skirting around enablement & speculation on the roles it played in Lucas life :( We have eternity to face that so no great rush now.

What stands at this late stage is that those who cannot control themselves, cannot be allowed contact whom rely utterly and entirely upon them.

Now for something completely different.
David Marshburn has honed a technique to get those aiding criminals, to divulge information about their whereabouts.

This PI is now 'testing' his mettle on killers who've successfully concealed missing people from the public.

Same skills, different field. It's completely ineffective tool without acting at the right time, manipulating perception of reality that LE has created.

In essence, DW had to 'become' EG to outwit her at her own game.

Last edited:
I have much sympathy for people with mental illness, or a lifetime of pain that influences their "today" decisions. But, in a civil society such as ours, our seasoned laws and centuries of learning and evolution have brought us to a place where we not only know right from wrong, we also have services available to help us if we can't control our own selves. Behaviors on the level in which they cause harm to others is not only not unacceptable, it's preventable. As adults, we each have the choice to continue on a path or seek help if our path runs askew. There are no free passes when it comes to hurting others. It's intolerable, unforgivable, and preventable.

There are more people in this world than not with an excuse to run off the rails, yet they don't. They find their inner strength, self reflect, learn and grow. Some of the most amazing people in the world have pretty terrible pasts. We see it here in WS all the time. Yet, we somehow not only rise above it, we use our suffering as a tool to help others. There is a term, I can't remember the name, for people who sympathize with their abusers. But for those of us outside that personal bubble, we find the behavior abhorrent and criminal. It's a good idea to try and separate emotion from the equation and focus on the laws when it comes to abuse. I personally give no passes to anyone who harms others when it can be prevented. But, that's just me. I'm kind of stubborn like that.
I couldn’t agree more Gig. I do think that there needs to be rehabilitation and services for mental issues, that’s not what I’m saying but what I am saying is when did it become ok to harm someone if the aggressor has a mental health issue? I have sat here today frustrated because we ALL know right from wrong. I’m tired of the deflection.

You have a way with your words. Thank you for everything you’ve done. Most of it was behind the scenes and I can attest to that.

I have been struggling with the peacocks for some time. 100% spot on.

I agree. But do you think the abusers realize they have a problem in the first place? Anyone I’ve ever been around that has major anger issues doesn’t see it. All they see when anger has surfaced is the problem that’s made them so angry in the first place. I don’t think EG was seeing the damage she was inflicting on Lucas. She was used to seeing him every day. I feel she only saw a place she could take out her anger. She was beyond seeing what was once a charming lil boy that was once full of life. Lucas was an object to her. She was blinded by anger imo. I’m sure her intent wasn’t to kill him & live the rest of her life in prison. A tiny body can not endure what she put him through. Every time she would strike him or deprive him of food it was gradually killing him. I believe her when she says she woke up to find he had died. I think a bath the night before she thought would revive him. Just enough so she could continue taking her frustrations out on him again & again..

EG was pretty angry at the consequences of her own anger.

I'd have to say that state intervention is a clear sign something is terribly wrong in one's life.

Instead of attending court-ordered anger management to help her sons...

EG decided everyone else was at fault, and she was fine.

And then she found JH, and the perfect solution to her problems

*insert soul crushing full on meltdown x_HERE_x *

Before the news broke of Lucas being found I was reading a lot on monkey bar ( 7 ft high) falls and the injuries that have happened. Concussions, headaches, dizziness, confusion, nausea and vomiting, lacerations (cuts) and contusions (bruises) are also on the list of most common injuries.

Lucas fell on January 22 and was in the nurses office on January 23 vomiting.

I also read about internal injuries children had after a fall and they were not taken to the ER. to get checked out. So this was on my mind before we learned Lucas was found. I wondered if he had a head injury and internal injuries from his fall the end of January. On top of what happened that caused his passing.

And The Most Dangerous Place For Kids On The Playground Is...

Trauma on the Monkey Bars? Playground Concussions Are on the Rise
As far as I know we have no proof he fell off monkey bars that was one of many excuses given another for those injuries was that he fell out of a truck. Do which lie do you believe?

I think this is a good question. If I understand things correctly there is a very narrow window in places that allow a newborn to be dropped off. But after that there is never a time in which a horrible parent can just walk away from parenting a child. The children are stuck with them unless the parent has a family member or another parent who "allows" them to leave them with them? And then parents who have a problem and need help...where do they go? If they admit a problem and want their children does admitting the problem mean they risk losing their kids so they are afraid to get help? And what help is available?

I've seen people looking and needing free or cheap mental healthcare and it didn't seem like much was available. Lots of waiting lists and prices still out of the range of someone with almost no extra money outside basic bills. It seems like it's in everyone's best interests to help before things are to the point of children being abused or dead. But I'm not sure what there really is available.

Much like we have free school lunches and even breakfast and there is no penalty or risk to not necessarily being able to afford to feed your children. Maybe we need widely available risk free mental healthcare and parenting help.
The system is broken imo. The resources need to be available for anyone that needs it. People shouldn’t have to feel like they’re going to lose their children because they’re asking for help. And in this day and age I believe we have more mental illness than ever before. We need to open our eyes as a society and see what we can do to help reunite families in a good way. Not take them away as punishment. If someone is forbidden to see their own children, why would they be allowed to take care of others? If the problem was fixed with her own kids. The issues EG was dealing with should be dealt with. Don’t just take away the “problem” and let her go back to take care of other children. EG problem is anger. Whoever was around was going to get the blunt of it. If it wasn’t Lucas, imo it would have been whoever was around her at that time. Lucas was the most convenient. I feel the baby girl would have gone through the same demise if Lucas wasn’t in the picture.

EG was pretty angry at the consequences of her own anger.

I'd have to say that state intervention is a clear sign something is terribly wrong in one's life.

Instead of attending court-ordered anger management to help her sons...

EG decided everyone else was at fault, and she was fine.

And then she found JH, and the perfect solution to her problems

*insert soul crushing full on meltdown x_HERE_x *
So true, so very true. She didn’t do what was needed in the court order to get her own children back. Instead she deflected onto others. At the end of the day there’s just no excuse for this horrific behavior.

I am working every day and have for eight years now, to get my son the therapy, medication, lessons, interventions, what have you to ensure that he learns how to control his outbursts and deleterious behaviors. Self injurious and harming others. We aren’t there yet, but my gosh at the progress we have made. It is inexplicable to anyone outside the heartbreak I go through on a daily basis. The path is difficult and many times I want to just give up it feels like we aren’t making any progress or doing any good. I know this isn’t ecactly applicable to EG, but to the conversation of getting help and intervention as a whole- it has to start early. The behaviors become ingrained, habit, second nature. I used to look like I worked in the cage with the big cats at the zoo. I couldn’t give up- I can’t give up. I know one day the work will pay off. I have had a fair share of run ins with DCF because people are well intentioned and don’t understand why or how a child could hurt themselves or a grown adult. Responding to his outbursts with quiet and calm, to teach him quiet and calm is the appropriate response not violence isn’t always easy. But anything else would reinforce his behavior and I can’t allow that to happen. Someday soon he will be bigger than me and really capable of bad things even if he doesn’t intend it. Navigating the system is difficult, but giving up isn’t an option.
But a short look at the news shows how many do give up and the horrific results
It’s never too late to get the proper interventions but the longer one waits the harder the behaviors are to correct

I am so tired of the 'he died, so I hide his body because I was afraid' stories. They are all bunk. These children are murdered and tossed away because the murderer hopes to not get caught.

How do we know this? Because people in a panic call 911, the don't plan a disposal.

I’m seeing Mr. Marshburn’s comments from his news interview being incorrectly quoted by news sources, so I wanted to bring this forward for clarity and context.

Attachments

• EA947996-FB10-4ABF-A3E3-3F321FD10C70.jpeg
    EA947996-FB10-4ABF-A3E3-3F321FD10C70.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 851CA242-80E9-4782-A588-C5E6651A6C1E.jpeg
    851CA242-80E9-4782-A588-C5E6651A6C1E.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 4419A1AA-2996-4CAA-93AC-C6569900A8BE.jpeg
    4419A1AA-2996-4CAA-93AC-C6569900A8BE.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 129
  • E07FD580-7F7E-49F7-A7AF-AC9B22BCB835.jpeg
    E07FD580-7F7E-49F7-A7AF-AC9B22BCB835.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 85
Thank you all for your kind words. We're devestated yet relieved that Lucas is finally home. I pray that Jamie and the rest of our family can finally find some sort of closure to this endless loop of grief that we have been stuck in for so long.

I want to thank all of you for being so loving and supportive of our family. I, personally, have discovered that WS is home for me. You have all become a second family.

As many of you have realized, media has made some inaccurate statements regarding how Lucas was found. My tip is to listen to direct interviews with the PI and trust that what he's saying is accurate.

So much love to you all,
Bethany

(yes, Tricia, I'm ok with my name being here )
Love, hugs and prayers to you and the family

This is all assuming he fell off the monkey bars in such a way as to cause all those injuries, versus being beat up by an adult or two to cause all those injuries. I'm more inclined to believe it was the latter of the two possibilities.
Lucas and his stepmother said he had fallen off monkey bars.
As far as I know we have no proof he fell off monkey bars that was one of many excuses given another for those injuries was that he fell out of a truck. Do which lie do you believe?
And fell off a couch. Which lie do I believe?
Monkey Bars-Truck-Couch Which lie? I was only comparing what is noted in case studies listing the same internal-head injuries from children who have fallen from M bars and comparing them to what injuries noted on Lucas. That was my intent. If EG did each injury scraping, cutting, bruising, then she did them. Lucas stated he fell from the bars then he did not state this. Whatever. If this is All a lie --so be it. No further discussion is needed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member