CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did it take so long to arrest the Golden State Killer suspect? Interagency rivalries, old technology, errors and bad luck
Why did it take so long to arrest the Golden State Killer suspect? Interagency rivalries, old technology, errors and bad luck
MAY 25, 2018 | 4:35 PM
[...]
Staples of modern investigative work weren't available at the time. Cellphones weren't around to help authorities retrace a suspect's location through GPS. Home security cameras that would capture a prowler's image weren't as prevalent.

Forensic science was still evolving. Crime scene analysis could pull a blood type or determine whether someone was not a "secretor" — an unusual genetic trait of not secreting blood type in saliva — but little more was available.

Authorities mapped the crimes with corkboards and pins. They relied on guesswork, the occasional stakeout and in one case a trip inside the trunk of a potential victim's vehicle.

At the peak of the East Area Rapist's rampage, Phillips folded himself into a woman's trunk with her permission, then rode inside to her home. He didn't emerge until the garage doors were closed in case anyone was watching. The woman's profile and where she lived fit with the other attacks.

By nightfall, with black grease paint smeared on his face and skin, he set himself up at the end of the hallway steps from the woman's bedroom, facing the window through which the rapist was most likely to enter if he attacked that night.

Then he waited.

"If he came in that window, he wasn't going back out," Phillips said.

But the suspect never appeared.
[...]

so, Daily Mail, a questionable source?

Investigators release pictures from serial killer Paul Holes' bedroom | Daily Mail Online

Terrifying look inside Golden State Killer's bedroom stocked with sick trophies from his victims' homes as investigator describes one VERY chilling detail that made 'the biggest impression'

26 May 2018

"Jewelry, cuff links and necklaces with heart-shaped pendants were trinkets the Golden State Killer liked to take from his victim's home. They were found inside his."

"Also taken from the home scene were ski masks believed to be worn during most of the encounters"

"Police have now finished combing through the beige-colored house, removing boxes of evidence, guns, cars a motorcycle and a boat, among other items."

Investigators release pictures from serial killer Paul Holes' bedroom | Daily Mail Online

Terrifying look inside Golden State Killer's bedroom stocked with sick trophies from his victims' homes as investigator describes one VERY chilling detail that made 'the biggest impression'

26 May 2018

"Jewelry, cuff links and necklaces with heart-shaped pendants were trinkets the Golden State Killer liked to take from his victim's home. They were found inside his."

"Also taken from the home scene were ski masks believed to be worn during most of the encounters"

"Police have now finished combing through the beige-colored house, removing boxes of evidence, guns, cars a motorcycle and a boat, among other items."

Did I read that correctly they removed ski masks used in the crimes from his home? They found his trophies?!!!
They also don't show his house but his wives house in the article. I wonder if he hid them at her house. good grief!

26 May 2018

The article is misleading. The only thing that Holes saw in his house (that he has talked about) is the towel over the computer monitor. Some of those pictures are of crime scenes. This is a new low for the Daily Mail.

Did I read that correctly they removed ski masks used in the crimes from his home? They found his trophies?!!!
They also don't show his house but his wives house in the article. I wonder if he hid them at her house. good grief!
I took it that the bedroom pic was a crime scene pic of a victim's ransacked room. You could see the open jewellery boxes. The ski mask and gloves were evidence pics from the crime scenes. That was my impression. The pics of the guns in boxes and the bags of stuff coming out of the Citrus Heights house was interesting.

MOO

The article is misleading. The only thing that Holes saw in his house (that he has talked about) is the towel over the computer monitor. Some of those pictures are of crime scenes. This is a new low for the Daily Mail.

Wow, how disappointing, and misleading about Daily Mail, to hear this.
I thought with all the evidence, in the photo, he couldn't explain this.
Now, we must wait!!!
"Ho, Hum" as our little expressive icons aren't available YET.

MAY 25, 2018 | 4:35 PM
[...]
Staples of modern investigative work weren't available at the time. Cellphones weren't around to help authorities retrace a suspect's location through GPS. Home security cameras that would capture a prowler's image weren't as prevalent.

Forensic science was still evolving. Crime scene analysis could pull a blood type or determine whether someone was not a "secretor" — an unusual genetic trait of not secreting blood type in saliva — but little more was available.

Authorities mapped the crimes with corkboards and pins. They relied on guesswork, the occasional stakeout and in one case a trip inside the trunk of a potential victim's vehicle.

At the peak of the East Area Rapist's rampage, Phillips folded himself into a woman's trunk with her permission, then rode inside to her home. He didn't emerge until the garage doors were closed in case anyone was watching. The woman's profile and where she lived fit with the other attacks.

By nightfall, with black grease paint smeared on his face and skin, he set himself up at the end of the hallway steps from the woman's bedroom, facing the window through which the rapist was most likely to enter if he attacked that night.

Then he waited.

"If he came in that window, he wasn't going back out," Phillips said.

But the suspect never appeared.
[...]

Thanks SeeSeas for this great article.
Helps explain the long delay in arrest.
Didn't Phillips 'do all he could'?
He certainly tried hard.

Let’s say he did have a friend on the force who would run plates for him, unaware of why. Wouldn’t the friend catch on after a while, that all these people were subsequently becoming rape and/or murder victims?

Imagine the 'chatter' now amongst these folks, if they were 'Helpers'.
"I aided this CREEP, not knowing!!!"

I took it that the bedroom pic was a crime scene pic of a victim's ransacked room. You could see the open jewellery boxes. The ski mask and gloves were evidence pics from the crime scenes. That was my impression. The pics of the guns in boxes and the bags of stuff coming out of the Citrus Heights house was interesting.

MOO

That's what I thought that they used old photos from crime scenes not of his house recently.

Last edited:
I found the DNA sluething to be very interesting. Open Source DNA, and upload crime DNA, and see what shakes out. I noticed GED website changed its privacy policy and rules on May 20, 2018. There will come a time, when we will all be DNA matched, it was fodder for science fiction films, now reality.

Upsetting how close the first sketch was to how he looked in that police uniform. People close to him had to think it looked like him. But probably thought there's no way he could be responsible. I've never been in that situation of seeing a suspect that looked like someone I knew, so no idea how I would react, or if I would even see the similarity or let my bias affect my viewpoint.

I can't even imagine being married to him or being one of daughters. Evil. I wonder if he'll eventually talk like BTK did? Such a wide span of victims, yet they live their lives as if all is fine and dandy. I wonder if serial killers feel fear? Do they ever wonder if they are being hunted like they like to hunt for their prey? Are they suspicious of other people, because they are always living a lie? It's so scary to realize a serial killer could be anyone. How many here would think your Dad, Brother or Husband was a serial killer?

^ Dont forget, Bella Bond's paternal grandmother saw the sketch but did not think it looked like her missing grandchild to call in.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want anyone to know that they unwillingly helped a serial rapist/killer.

The person/persons helping, now that the Creep has been arrested, will remember that perhaps they obtained info for this Creep, in the past.
Not knowing, at the time, the real reason.
These Helpers will probably now report their 'unknowing' involvement to LE, giving further evidence, perhaps used in Court, against the Creep.
The more dirt against him, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member