CA Ca - Karen Marie Mitchell, 16, Eureka, 25 Nov 1997

[h=1]The Humboldt 35[/h] [h=2]Why does Humboldt County have the highest rate of missing persons reports in the state?[/h]
The only other missing juvenile case from Humboldt County that remains on NCMEC's database is Karen Mitchell, who disappeared as a teenager from U.S. Highway 101 on Nov. 25, 1997. A poster with an age-progressed picture of Mitchell, who would now be 37, still hangs on the wall of the Eureka Police Department's lobby.
https://www.northcoastjournal.com/humboldt/the-humboldt-35/Content?oid=7775161

Kim Kemp joins with the Northcoast Journal in exploring those missing in the Emerald Triangle...Humboldt, Trinity and Mendocino counties. She lists everyone missing in the three counties...at least the ones she could find listed.

Note the event for the families of the missing in Sacramento June 9-10. Quoting Kym’s beautiful writing....

[FONT=&quot]Long after the missing posters on those who have vanished have faded and blown away in the wind, some family members will keep vigil. Some will keep vigil silently–barely acknowledging out loud the loose thread that caught on their heart when their loved one vanished and which now threatens to unravel their life. Some will keep vigil by reaching out to the media or police or both on a regular basis, hoping even decades after their loss that they will get answers. They hope but, at the same time, they fear to know for sure that their loved one is dead.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you have a family or friend missing, an event this June 9 in Sacramento may be helpful to you. This free event will have law enforcement available to help record information. Family members can give DNA samples if they choose to help with identification. They are also “encouraged to bring photos, along with medical and dental records of their missing loved ones.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

http://kymkemp.com/2018/02/01/who-is-missing-in-the-emerald-counties/

I really need more info on Karen. I found out that I work next to one of her cousins, so I want to help this family with closure.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

First, I went through all the above links, reading those that have not gone dead. Then I Googled Karen's name, and traced down all the news I could. The basic facts of her disappearance have been widely spread. However, there isn't much depth of fact to these reports.

Many victims are exposed to crime by their high risk lifestyles. However, such was not the case with Karen. She was a high school student anticipating her 17th birthday in five more days when she vanished. She had left her aunt's shoe store in the Bayshore Mall, and was last seen across the street from the mall's food court.

There has been considerable discussion concerning any involvement by notorious serial killer Robert Durst. He supposedly visited the shoe store in drag on several occasions. Durst also apparently frequented a homeless shelter where Karen volunteered. There is at least one report saying he met her there.

To counter this, another account says Durst was cleared because he was not in the Eureka area at the time. Other investigators have pointed out that Durst's known homicides were in furtherance of his family's fortune, and that abducting a teenage girl is a sexual crime, not a financial one.

Donald Wayne Ford is another serial killer suspected of snatching Karen. However, although Ford easily confessed other murders, he denied killing Karen.

Suspicion of Durst was sparked by a POSSIBLE eyewitness report of Karen getting into a 1977 Ford Granada/Mercury Marquis. The driver was described as being 60 to 70 years old. A LE artist drawing resembled Durst. Despite the remarkable detail of the eyewitness description, LE found no connection between Durst and Karen. Please note that I emphasized "possible" above. To me, this signifies that the passenger being picked up might not have been Karen.

Given that Durst's known victims were not teen girls, his kidnapping of Karen also seemed unlikely.

As I investigate Karen's case, the ironies abound. It seems that Karen agreed at age 13 to move away from the Los Angeles area to avoid the hazards of violent crime. She agreed to leave her family in LA to move in with her aunt and uncle in Humboldt. And, in all fairness, her aunt and uncle seemed to treasure her like she was their born child.

Another irony is that the eyewitness to Karen possibly getting into a car is former LE. So why isn't a trained cop a more highly regarded source?

A lot of locals felt it was Wayne Adam Ford, who initially didn't want to admit to killing Karen Mitchell because she was a minor. His other victims were women in their late 20's. Word was at the time that he was willing to confess in a plea, but the DA screwed with him at the last minute and he changed his mind.

I have never read that Ford had copped to kidnapping Karen. Not that he isn't a very likely suspect. Certainly more so than Robert Durst.

Oh, the bitter irony in this case. I've been reading Body Parts, the true crime book covering Wayne Adam Ford.

If you recall, Karen moved to Eureka to live with her aunt and uncle so she could be raised in a safe environment. It must have seemed ideal to Karen's parents. Karen's uncle worked in the Department of Justice lab in Eureka. What safer place for your daughter than a home with a relative who was in LE, right?

Karen is mentioned in this long article about missing Humboldt County women.

The Mystery of Humboldt County's Missing Women

Specifically, Karen is mentioned in this article by the sister of Sheila Franks. Apparently the POI in Sheila’s case knew Karen.

However, according to a 2016 Crime Watch Daily report, another connection had been discovered. Shelia’s sister Melisa Walstrom indicated Jones also knew Karen Mitchell. Melisa went to school with Jones and has known him all her life.

See post and link below regarding Jones.

Recently, Ca - James Eugene Jones, 43, Humboldt County, Poi Serial Murders has become a person of interest in two other cases in this series of five homicides.

He apparently grew up in the area (Hoopa, I believe), and there were some rumors he may have been there when she disapeared. His family denied it. No solid connection that I know of. I was just wondering if it had been established that he was or was not in the area.

His father's name was on the original suspect list, but he has a solid alibi. He's already doing life.

Ward worked in Hoopa in the late 80s driving a truck. He dated a woman and both were known to have substance issues.

His extended family still has ties to the area but have been marred by speculation after the Sheriff raided the family home on a lead about the Karen Mitchell case in 1997.

Notorious not only for being so far fetched but the Sheriff had full access well out of jurisdiction.

EastHumboldt, can you tell us more? Your above post is interesting, but incomplete.

EastHumboldt, can you tell us more? Your above post is interesting, but incomplete.

Ward did not live in Hoopa during the time of abduction but was rumored to be trafficking drugs to and/or from the area.

The raid that took place was based on a cooperative agreement between agencies for a drug task force. There were no arrests made, so I'd assume no drugs found, which explains why there was no press release on the matter.

Because it was rumored and not officially confirmed I hesitate to make the link.

However, Ward's former affiliates maintain that he was in possession of an ID Card belonging to Mitchell and that an anonymous tip resulted in the raid.

Due to the drug association I, nor any officials, don't give it merit. I am surprised to see that the rumor persists though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back