PA PA - McKean Co, WhtFem 15-30, UP6584, skull on private prop, Sep'91

I find it highly unusual that this calvarium was located in very close proximity to the Pennsylvania State Police barracks (no longer used). That's a strange coincidence.

Mount Jewett Jane Doe has been unidentified for 28 years today.

Well, I have now spoken, written, or emailed to all contacts for Linda and Lori Peugeot and the Mt. Jewett ((McKean County) calvarium, requesting that a DNA comparison be made. Let's keep out fingers crossed that they do it.
It occurs to me that there is a good forensics program in Erie, not that far away. I may suggest that they use the area where the calvarium was found for training of field operatives. It would get a large number of investigators on the ground there, and there is a strong possibility of something to be found.
It's been over 3 years since this post. Has there been any developments?

Well, I have now spoken, written, or emailed to all contacts for Linda and Lori Peugeot and the Mt. Jewett ((McKean County) calvarium, requesting that a DNA comparison be made. Let's keep out fingers crossed that they do it.
It occurs to me that there is a good forensics program in Erie, not that far away. I may suggest that they use the area where the calvarium was found for training of field operatives. It would get a large number of investigators on the ground there, and there is a strong possibility of something to be found.
It's been over 3 years since this post. Has there been any developments?

I stumbled onto this case when searching for a woman who was from Harrisburg PA, but went missing from Cecil County, MD after leaving her bf's place there to return home in a snow storm. Her body has nvr been found but evidence at the scene shows she was bludgeoned to death leaving brain matter in her vehicle. Wondering if this skull fragment could possibly be hers? If somehow the murderer had it in his car, maybe being from the Harrisburg area, drove a bit further away to dispose of it. It's a longshot but stranger things have happened.
Sheree Marie Magaro
The Doe Network: Case File 587DFMD

950UFPA

950UFPA - Unidentified Female

Date of Discovery: September 22, 1991
Location of Discovery: Mckean County, Pennsylvania
Estimated Date of Death: 1985 to 1990
State of Remains: Skeletal/skull cap only
Cause of Death: The skull appeared to have been pierced by a bullet.

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 15-30 years old
Race: Unknown
Sex: Female
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Not Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
On Sunday afternoon, September 22, 1991, a woman walking through the woods near her Hamlin home, near Mount Jewett, found a skull cap which she turned over to the police.

The skull was examined by the anthropology department at the University of Pittsburgh at Bradford, who determined that the skull was human. A fracture found in the skull indicated that foul play had been involved. The skull was also examined by anthropologist Dr Dennis Dirkmaat at Mercyhurst College in Erie. Dr Dirkmaat determined that the skull had been exposed to the weather for longer than a year but less than 5 years.

On Friday, May 8, 1992 a search of the area where the skull was found was conducted by the Pennsylvania State Police and the Cattaraugus County (NY) Sheriff's Department, who brought a dog trained to search for human remains. No additional remains were found.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: McKean County Coroner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Unknown
Agency Phone Number: 814-368-6337
Agency Case Number: C05-0390388

Agency Name: Pennsylvania State Police
Agency Contact Person: Trooper David Ray
Agency Email: daray@state.pa.us

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: UP #6584
Former Hot Case Number: 2205

Information Source(s)
NamUs
Pennsylvania Missing

Mt. Jewett Jane Doe
Mt. Jewett, PA​

Picture

Unidentified White Female
Mount Jewett Jane Doe
Also known as McKean County Jane Doe
Found in the fall of 1991 near Mount Jewett, Pennsylvania

Vital Statistics
State of Remains: Only the calvarium (skull cap) was recovered
Estimated Age: Likely a younger adult
Estimated Time of Death Updated in 2016: Greater than 2 years, but likely less than 30 (possible time range: 1961-1989).
Cause of Death: The skull appeared to have been pierced by a bullet
DNA Status: In the FBI's Combined DNA Index System (CODIS)

Case Details
In the fall of 1991, a local woman was walking through the woods near Mount Jewett, Pennsylvania when she found a piece of bone that she thought might be human remains. She was is in the vicinity of the old Pennsylvania State Police barracks located along U.S. Route 219, approximately 1 mile north of Lantz Corners (today the site of a beer distributor).

Unsure if it was human, she took the remains to the anthropology department at the nearby University of Pittsburgh at Bradford. They identified the remains as a human skull, and sent it to be examined by famed forensic anthropologist Dr. Dennis Dirkmaat at Mercyhurst University in Erie, Pennsylvania. He determined it was a human calvarium (skull cap) of a white female and “the pattern of cracking on the skull is characteristic of a gunshot…the edge of the hole is almost perfectly semicircular.”

On Friday, May 8, 1992, a search of the area was conducted by the Pennsylvania State Police, Lafayette Township Volunteer Fire Department, and the Cattaraugus County (NY) Sheriff's Department K9 unit. No additional remains were found.

In 2016, Dr. Dennis Dirkmaat provided unsolved.us an updated range for the time of death. He stated that the skull had been there greater than 2 years, but likely less than 30 years. This gives a possible time range of 1961-1989.

That same year, her DNA was uploaded to the FBI's Combined DNA Index System (CODIS). There were not any matches in the system.

She remains unidentified.

If you have any information about this case, please contact:
Pennsylvania State Police-Lewis Run
at 814-368-9340

Media​

Picture

1656241277642.png
According to a post on our Facebook page (McKean County Cold Cases), Chief Fowler of the Lafayette Township Vol. Fire/Rescue Department stated, in 1992"...we assembled at the old PSP (Pennsylvania State Police) building on 219 by the beer distributor and searched that area around the barracks. It was in this area that the skull was found."

Picture

Mt. Jewett Jane Doe's remains were recovered in the area of the old Pennsylvania State Police station (1 mile north of Lantz Corners) along US 219. The Crescent Beer Distributor building was not there in 1991

I wonder if there is any chance this could be from a specimen that was at the Pennsylvania State Police building for some reason. Outside the box thinking, might they have been using it to train a cadaver dog in the 70s or 80s?

I wonder if there is any chance this could be from a specimen that was at the Pennsylvania State Police building for some reason. Outside the box thinking, might they have been using it to train a cadaver dog in the 70s or 80s?
Ironically, I asked Dr. Dirkmaat that same question a few years ago and he didn’t believe that to be likely.

However, imho, anything is possible.

Can someone with a NamUs account please post any rule-outs? Thank you

This case really needs genetic genealogy. So little for authorities to use to identify her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drury Lane
Back