Welcome To Websleuths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah sometimes my picture my picture is under a posters picture as though I have commented on that thread even though I haven’t.

WS Admin, when I look at New Posts, I have the Watched Thread icon on threads I'm not watching.
View attachment 134876

Go to your Watched Threads and check the box for all threads you no longer wish to see.
Then go to the bottom of that list Where Selected, use the down arrow and select Stop Watching Threads, press Go.
Only the threads you have chosen will be deleted.

@WS Admin Are all of the parking lot posts coming back? I went to read the Amy Bradley thread and there are no posts showing up for me in thread 2 (I haven't found the first one to check yet).

ETA - There appear to be duplicates of thread 2. I found the one that works. But there are links to others that show no posts. So it's nothing urgent, but there might be some weird clean-up issues like this.

Go to your Watched Threads and mark all threads you no longer wish to see.
Then go to the bottom of that list Where Selected, use the down arrow and select Stop Watching Threads, press Go.
Only the threads you have chosen will be deleted.

I don't watch it--it doesn't show up on Watched Threads, it shows up on New Posts with the eyeglass icon.

Hello! Just a lurker and have been since I joined back in September 2016. Even though I've never posted, I check in at least once a day, sometimes more.

Being a lurker, I don't feel I have much right to question anything, but is there any way in this new format to mute certain forums so they don't show up under New Posts? I had at least a dozen or more muted on the old site. I've seen this same question asked 3 or 4 times in this thread, but did not see an answer. My apologies if it has been answered and I missed it.

Thanks! I appreciate all the hard work that goes into maintaining this site.

Hello! Just a lurker and have been since I joined back in September 2016. Even though I've never posted, I check in at least once a day, sometimes more.

Being a lurker, I don't feel I have much right to question anything, but is there any way in this new format to mute certain forums so they don't show up under New Posts? I had at least a dozen or more muted on the old site. I've seen this same question asked 3 or 4 times in this thread, but did not see an answer. My apologies if it has been answered and I missed it.

I came here to ask the same question!

Hi Rose, and welcome to WS. You have every right to question things. We all started out as newbies once upon a time.

May I suggest that you try following a trial and once you're familiar with it you will find it so much easier to contribute. Most members love seeing lurkers step out of the shadows. Be brave and I'm sure you'll be given a warm welcome.

@WS Admin - Just cruizing around the forum and in the Profile section I found a Tab that says "Likes You've Received" and I noticed I have 4, 286 PAGES!! Isn't that taking up space in the software? I wrote about this on the Sidebar thread, and other people responded that they have like over 5,000 pages of likes. Considering how many members we have - that's a LOT of software space that can used for other things - but since I'm not a technie - I don't know "how" that works! LOL!
Also - on the Profile section "Your News Feed". All it has on there our my "Friends" likes on other people's posts....Another unnecessary use of "space" ??

On your "list" of problems to solve here - have you reached the one where you will be adding "Upload a File" to the Jury Room/Basement, so we can post pictures from our PC/Laptops?? I know you're probably quite busy, but thought I'd ask! :)

Great job, by the way!
hi5-smiley.gif

@WS Admin - Just cruizing around the forum and in the Profile section I found a Tab that says "Likes You've Received" and I noticed I have 4, 286 PAGES!! Isn't that taking up space in the software?

I doubt that is taking up much space. I think it is just part of the database. Even removing the entire "Like" system probably wouldn't save a remarkable amount of space.

On the subject of "Likes" I would really like to see it go back to "Thanks". Example: some posts with really terrible news, just feels wrong to "Like". But I still want to thank the user for posting it. "Thanks" is more correct, for how it is used in this forum. Copying Facebook, just because it is popular is just a bad idea. If I wanted that type of system, I would just go and use Facebook.

This isn't a major issue as finding my content is really easy now, but the 'Your Content' function under my username doesn't seem to be updating.

I've posted quite a few times since yesterday at 12. (23 hours ago in my time zone).

Just thought I'd flag it up in case it points to a larger problem.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-05-27-10-41-22.png
    Screenshot_2018-05-27-10-41-22.png
    264.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_2018-05-27-10-41-22.png
    Screenshot_2018-05-27-10-41-22.png
    264.6 KB · Views: 14
I don't know if the feature is still there and I can't find it but getting to the page I want on a long thread is currently difficult. This may have been already raised so apologies if I'm an echo. There used to be an option to put in the page number of the thread that you wanted to skip to but it's not there on the new forum. So getting to p31 of a 59 page thread is tedious and involves toggling forward or back a couple of pages at a time. For example, try getting from this post to page 14 of this thread.

This isn't ideal, but you can edit the url. Click on a page number of the thread you want and it'll be something like this:

websleuths.com/forums/threads/welcome-to-websleuths.374561/page-32

Just change the 32 to 14.
I don't know if the feature is still there and I can't find it but getting to the page I want on a long thread is currently difficult. This may have been already raised so apologies if I'm an echo. There used to be an option to put in the page number of the thread that you wanted to skip to but it's not there on the new forum. So getting to p31 of a 59 page thread is tedious and involves toggling forward or back a couple of pages at a time. For example, try getting from this post to page 14 of this thread.

On Ipad click on alerts and alert preferences. This should give you options as to what you want. There are email alerts available under browsing preferences.

I don't want email alerts.

I want mobile/tablet app push notifications that pop up on the front of my screen, with a little bit of info as to which thread and which poster and that when I click on them take me direct to the full WS post.

Particularly for WS Group or 1 on 1 "Conversations".

As a last resort I might have to set up an email address dedicated to just WS and use a Mobile/tablet app dedicated to only that email address with WS alerts turned on so that the email notifications from my new and dedicated WS email address do not clog up my main email accounts, or clutter my day and night up with notifications with all my other emails.

Instead of muting forums, you watch the ones you want to see.

Me too, so I tried another browser and over there I see a big block of Facebook feed, so I guess one of my browser addons is blocking it (I have a few security/anti-tracker addons). It's not anything like as intrusive as some posts made it sound though, so ignorable enough for me even if it showed in my usual browser, it's about the same size as the Who's online box, with a scrollbar to see more if people are interested.

For those who do NOT want to see the Facebook stuff, some experimenting shows it's Ghostery which is blocking it for me, so add that to your browser and it should be gone (for those not seeing it who want to, allow "Facebook Connect" in your privacy addons).

Awesome I did it and its gone TYTYTYT! yEA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McKeith