Australia - Tiahleigh Palmer, 12, slain, Pimpama River, Qld, 30 Oct 2015 #2 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very flat. I think that family has had the you-know-what kicked out of them throughout the years.
He had always completely controlled them all, apparently. With fear, with violence, the police officer said.
It is good that Julene and Josh decided to become prosecutorial witnesses, and broke the case in its entirety .... even if they may have done it to aid themselves in the eyes of the court. Better than Thorburn getting away with this due to not enough evidence. He was very wily about the route and place he dumped poor Tiah. No CCTV at all on that route.

Having said that, the police officer said he doesn't consider the rest of the family as victims. They could have come forward and told the truth, right from the start. He considers them perpetrators.

Well it just goes to show the length that some family will go, to protect their partner or parent.
Violence, fear control ... Julene sounded in control when she was telling her son that they had to look after themselves. Actually she showed more emotion during that chat than she did in the police interview...imo

Well it just goes to show the length that some family will go, to protect their partner or parent.
Violence, fear control ... Julene sounded in control when she was telling her son that they had to look after themselves. Actually she showed more emotion during that chat than she did in the police interview...imo

I can't believe she stayed with that man, for all of those years. She was definitely the compensatory one of the two. Guiding the sons, in a completely wrong way. Trying to calm them.

I can't imagine how totally messed up those two boys must be. Or what they will get up to in their ongoing lives.

Did you see, at the end of the show, that Trent just had a 21st birthday party? His mum threw it for him. I guess it's 'business as usual', all over again.

I can't believe she stayed with that man, for all of those years. She was definitely the compensatory one of the two. Guiding the sons, in a completely wrong way. Trying to calm them.

I can't imagine how totally messed up those two boys must be. Or what they will get up to in their ongoing lives.

Did you see, at the end of the show, that Trent just had a 21st birthday party? His mum threw it for him. I guess it's 'business as usual', all over again.

I can.
Didn't she utter something about - OUR standing in the community.
She will probably visit him at Gatton.

Wonder how many turned up to the party..at the place of hiding?

The biological mother of Tiahleigh Palmer has spoken in her first ever interview since the sentencing of Rick Thorburn, taking aim at the critics who blame her for her daughter’s death rather than the monster who killed her.
“I didn’t murder my daughter,” Cyndi Palmer told 60 Minutes reporter Tara Brown.
“I did everything I could to try and get her back. I wanted our family to be whole again.”
'I didn't murder my daughter'

Tiahleigh was placed in foster care at the age of seven because, as Ms Palmer told 60 Minutes, she couldn’t always provide a happy or safe home.
“I was suffering through a very severe domestic violence situation,” she revealed.
I actually went to the department for help because I realised that one day I was just going to die, and they were going to be left there, by themselves.
“I still firmly believe that the day I went to the department asking for help, I made the right decision.............
60 minutes video - in article.

The biological mother of Tiahleigh Palmer has spoken in her first ever interview since the sentencing of Rick Thorburn, taking aim at the critics who blame her for her daughter’s death rather than the monster who killed her.
“I didn’t murder my daughter,” Cyndi Palmer told 60 Minutes reporter Tara Brown.
“I did everything I could to try and get her back. I wanted our family to be whole again.”

The thing I don't understand is this .....

On October 21, 2015, just over a week before her murder, Tia’s biological mother, Cyndi Palmer, relinquished custody of her; at the same time Palmer’s son, Tiahleigh’s biological brother, returned to her care. Tia needed a solid home as much as ever.
The Australian 12:00AM May 26, 2018

Did I read elsewhere that Tiah said she wanted to stay at the Thorburn's? I think I did. Despite her presumed fear of Rick, or perhaps because of it. Tiah was at an age and maturity that perhaps her own wishes were listened to, if the Thorburn's agreed with it, which they evidently did. Perhaps they manipulated Tiah. That 60 Minutes show said he is a master manipulator.

The thing I don't understand is this .....

On October 21, 2015, just over a week before her murder, Tia’s biological mother, Cyndi Palmer, relinquished custody of her; at the same time Palmer’s son, Tiahleigh’s biological brother, returned to her care. Tia needed a solid home as much as ever.
The Australian 12:00AM May 26, 2018

Did I read elsewhere that Tiah said she wanted to stay at the Thorburn's? I think I did. Despite her presumed fear of Rick, or perhaps because of it. Tiah was at an age and maturity that perhaps her own wishes were listened to, if the Thorburn's agreed with it, which they evidently did. Perhaps they manipulated Tiah. That 60 Minutes show said he is a master manipulator.

Was just thinking about that SA.
I recall an article where the grandmother said Tiah wanted to stay with the Thorburn's because she had a crush on Trent and liked the horses.
Would a girl of that aged have a say in where she lived? I think they might.
Maybe there was a bit of fear, violence and control that swayed Tiah to say that she wanted to stay.

Last edited:
Well I am crying and if I had a punching bag I would be pounding it.
Oh just so so sad.
The facebook message - I just want the kid out of my life but she is a source of income for Mum and Dad.

That’s exactly what I did soso — cried and kicked the **** out of a heavy bag. Even some of the guys at my gym were affected by the 60 Minutes story about Tiah.

Poor little girl. All Tiah needed were carers to value her for being the beautiful child she was, not as a meal ticket.

Very flat. I think that family has had the you-know-what kicked out of them throughout the years.
He had always completely controlled them all, apparently. With fear, with violence, the police officer said.
It is good that Julene and Josh decided to become prosecutorial witnesses, and broke the case in its entirety .... even if they may have done it to aid themselves in the eyes of the court. Better than Thorburn getting away with this due to not enough evidence. He was very wily about the route and place he dumped poor Tiah. No CCTV at all on that route.

Having said that, the police officer said he doesn't consider the rest of the family as victims. They could have come forward and told the truth, right from the start. He considers them perpetrators.

Good they broke the case - agreed to become witnesses ???
So they only spoke when they had been charged with lying and covering up the murder to authorities.

In September 2016, Julene and her sons agreed to become witnesses against Rick Thorburn. But with media camped out on their doorstep, they changed their minds at the last minute.

After they didn’t turn up on the agreed date, the following day police arrested Julene, Trent and Josh over their lies to authorities in covering up the murder. At the same time, Rick was arrested for murder.

Nocookies
Tiahleigh Palmer, delivered into the hands of evil

Last edited:
I couldn't bring myself to watch the 60 Minutes show, the news articles were distressing enough. That poor little girl :(

I know how you feel, FF. I watched 5 or 10 minutes of it and woke up in a cold sweat after only a few hours’ sleep. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to watch it in its entirety.

btw nice to see you posting again x

I couldn't bring myself to watch the 60 Minutes show, the news articles were distressing enough. That poor little girl :(

I was just thinking about Cindy.
The thing that stood out to me was she offered no excuses just personal accountability for the choices she made in life....be they good or bad.
Left with a whole lot of questions and so few answers.
I hope she and the family get through this.

Oh yeah.
I don't believe a word of it.
"Richard explained they would do things like they normally do. He told the family 'we have to protect Trent, we need to keep a story to ourselves that she went to school [the following day]'," Mr Heaton said.
Rick told them: "I have her hidden and I'm going to get rid of her tomorrow night. I'm going to leave home tomorrow morning, as if I'm going off to school as if I'm going to collect some car parts.

Mr Heaton told the court Thorburn had told his wife: "Go to bed. Tomorrow will be a normal day."

Tiahleigh Palmer's foster father jailed for life for 'callous' murder and cover-up
Yep. Just shocking. Hard to fathom the Mum and son are already out.

Cold as ice.

I guess the million dollar question is who
and where.

I certainly DO believe Tia was running away because he was abusing her. The reason he has stayed silent is he won't admit it. Wants to keep his good name in the community. VOMIT. He is a serial molester and child killer. He won't last long in the system now. He looks very frail.

Trents FB message to a relative

“Hey, are you free to talk? I really need to talk right now!” Trent wrote.

Sure, she’d replied. What’s up?

“I’m in trouble and I don’t know what to do! I know it’s going to be hard for you to believe but I’m telling the truth! Please, please help me. Mum and Dad went out on Monday to get horse feed and I was home doing my schoolwork and Tia was at home too,” he wrote.

“After Mum and Dad left she told me that if I don’t have sex with her she will kill Lewis my dog. She has been trying to get me to do stuff with her for a long time. Under sufferance of this I just couldn’t take the chance of Lewis getting hurt!

“I had sex with Tia without protection … but now she is saying she had stomach pains. I have changed from what I did to you because I know it is wrong and I still hate myself for that but I’m telling you the truth now and I need you!! Please!!!! I would rather kill myself than live with my family thinking I am some sicko and if you don’t believe me then I will, so please believe me because I don’t want to leave you all.”

He was terrified Tia was pregnant, he told her. He didn’t know what to do. If she was pregnant, he would go to jail. Nobody would believe him. He repeated that Tia, a 12-year-old, had made him do it. It was her fault.

Later, he would tell police he’d made this up, that he’d lied to make Tia look bad and himself look better.

“I just want the kid gone and out of my life but I also know she is a source of income for Mum and Dad as well and I can’t risk us losing money because she is gone,” he wrote.

He told her Tia had spoken to a friend of his, a girl named Tahlea, at a Father’s Day dinner. Tia had confided in Tahlea that Trent had been trying to “get her to do things”. Tahlea had confronted Trent and Trent had denied it, saying Tia had “problems”.

“I haven’t told Tahlea about anything though because I don’t want her to not believe me.”

The relative, Trent’s confidante, gave him sensible advice that night. She said his family would always support him, that the past had been forgiven but that he needed to talk to his parents about what was happening. She asked why he hadn’t gone to them when Tia had pushed for sex, when she’d threatened his dog. Why hadn’t he just told his parents? She pushed him to talk to them now.

“You just really need to decide what you’re gonna say leading up to it. Think about some of the questions they’re going to ask, and most importantly, be nothing but honest!” she wrote.

They continued the conversation through to the following day

“Are you going to tell them?” she asked in a message at 5.49pm.

“I’ll do it tonight,” he wrote. “When both Mum and Dad are home.”

ON OCTOBER 29, Tiahleigh Palmer dressed in her school uniform, grabbed her purple backpack and jumped in one of the Thorburn cars for the short drive to school.

After classes, she went to drama club. And from there, she went to the Crestmead PCYC for a hiphop dance class. Her foster brother Josh helped teach that class, but partway through, Tia told him she was struggling, that she had a sore stomach.

Josh sent a text message to his mother Julene, asking her to come and collect Tia and drive her home. When Tia emerged from the PCYC, she seemed quiet, depressed.

“We’ll go home and you can have a hot shower and some Panadol or Nurofen,” Julene told her. It had been an odd day. Earlier she had received a text message from a family member.

“There is a serious problem,” the woman had written. “A major issue … I desperately need to talk with you.” They hadn’t talked yet. Julene had no idea what it was about.

Trent got home from work when Tia was in the shower.

He had something to say. Tia wasn’t around and he wanted to get the conversation over with before she appeared.

“I have done something terrible,” Trent told his mother. “I had a sexual encounter with Tia.”

He started crying.

DISTURBING new details from an unearthed police statement have revealed how 12-year-old Tiahleigh Palmer’s body was stuffed in the boot of a car by her foster father.

Rick Thorburn, who was sentenced to life imprisonment on Friday for the sickening murder, was being watched by his wife Julene as he backed his blue Ford Falcon into a shed shortly after the killing in September 2015.

According to the statement to police in 2016, Julene couldn’t see what her husband was doing in the shed for half an hour at around 8pm that night because her view was blocked by trees — but she knew her dead foster daughter was being loaded into the boot.

‘The less you know, the better’

I certainly DO believe Tia was running away because he was abusing her. The reason he has stayed silent is he won't admit it. Wants to keep his good name in the community. VOMIT. He is a serial molester and child killer. He won't last long in the system now. He looks very frail.

An older article.
Dad is locked up for a long time to come.
Will we hear more about Trent Thorburn in the future?

SLAIN schoolgirl Tiahleigh Palmer’s foster brother has allegedly been sexually involved with at least one other underage girl............

Justice John Bond said there were concerns Thorburn would commit crimes against children if released on bail as police claim he has been sexually involved with at least one other minor.
“I do note there is material … that suggests the alleged offending between the applicant and an underage girl – with Tiahleigh – is not the first occasion he may have been involved in that conduct,” Justice Bond said.

Category: | The Courier Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member