Welcome To Websleuths

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just the games posts, although depending on the time of day those are definitely bad. There are all kinds of Caylee Anthony/Jonbenet/certain other cases posts that I can do without and had blocked. Losing that feature really is a big loss. I don't have unlimited time to be here, so having to weed through and ignore those on top of regular posts you might not be interested in is quite annoying.

JanetElaine - this is me exactly (even though I'm just a lowly lurker, lol).

From reading this thread it seems we are all seeing different things. I don’t see any games posts or Facebook posts.
I am having trouble finding new threads to follow. I used to receive a notification with new cases in the forums I followed, but seem to have lost these notifications since the move. Unless that was just a tapatalk feature.
On a positive note I’m finding the transition from tapatalk much easier than I expected. I’m partially sighted and was concerned I wouldn’t be able to see the new site as well as the settings I had on tapatalk, but I’m actually finding it clearer and easier.

If you are on a laptop, down the right hand side of the page (home page) there is a section that says "New Threads". This will show you the new threads that have been started, which should give you new ones to follow. The "Trending Posts" thing was a Tapatalk feature.

If you are on a laptop, down the right hand side of the page (home page) there is a section that says "New Threads". This will show you the new threads that have been started, which should give you new ones to follow. The "Trending Posts" thing was a Tapatalk feature.
Thank you! I had completely missed that.

Thank you! This helps a lot.

Thanks for the reply, even though I'm not happy with it, lol! I don't just want to see things I subscribe to, that way I miss new cases, updates on old cases etc., you see those in 'new posts'. But, it's hard to find them right now because of the incessant games posts mixed in.... :(
From reading this thread it seems we are all seeing different things. I don’t see any games posts or Facebook posts.
I am having trouble finding new threads to follow. I used to receive a notification with new cases in the forums I followed, but seem to have lost these notifications since the move. Unless that was just a tapatalk feature.
On a positive note I’m finding the transition from tapatalk much easier than I expected. I’m partially sighted and was concerned I wouldn’t be able to see the new site as well as the settings I had on tapatalk, but I’m actually finding it clearer and easier.

I'm not sure if this will help, but here is one thing you can do-- rather than look at ALL new posts for the entire board choose to follow the forums that you want to see new threads and new posts from. When you select "Watch Forum" there is an option to get a notification when a new thread is created. I have left notifications up only for when a new thread is created and for if someone quotes me. So far it is working out well. When I come to the board I check my alerts to see if anyone has replied to me in a thread and I also browse the new thread titles. Then I go to my "watched" threads and read those. It's still a little overwhelming the number of ways to follow here but so far I find this works better than trying to look at all new posts. I only get content from the forums and threads I am most interesting in. If I have extra time I may go to just my watched forums and browse to see what posts may have been made in the last few days.
Hope this helps someone.

And this too (will try), thanks AnaPisces!

It's not just the games posts, although depending on the time of day those are definitely bad. There are all kinds of Caylee Anthony/Jonbenet/certain other cases posts that I can do without and had blocked. Losing that feature really is a big loss. I don't have unlimited time to be here, so having to weed through and ignore those on top of regular posts you might not be interested in is quite annoying. But, good for you if it doesn't bother you. :)

YES. It seems like a small thing, but the ability to minimize certain sections, or rearrange the home page, would make a huge difference.

What are "resources?" I noticed alert settings for them, and then when I went to new posts, there was a tab for resources, but nothing under it?

This is just a test download for the Websleuths Resource section. We will use this section for case files, images or videos that are hosted on Websleuths.

For the time being Dave and Tricia will be the only ones adding resources to this section. The reason for this is so that we can get a good start deciding on a logical order for everything. Once it is clear to everybody how this section is being organized it may be opened up to other staff to upload new resources.
test download

Wish I could say that. I need a nightmode option. For some reason the white background and the orange everything is driving my eyes crazy and I have had a migraine since yesterday.

I am struggling greatly with the block white too. Can not find an option to change anywhere :( Can't really use the forum without it.

I'm not sure if this will help, but here is one thing you can do-- rather than look at ALL new posts for the entire board choose to follow the forums that you want to see new threads and new posts from. When you select "Watch Forum" there is an option to get a notification when a new thread is created. I have left notifications up only for when a new thread is created and for if someone quotes me. So far it is working out well. When I come to the board I check my alerts to see if anyone has replied to me in a thread and I also browse the new thread titles. Then I go to my "watched" threads and read those. It's still a little overwhelming the number of ways to follow here but so far I find this works better than trying to look at all new posts. I only get content from the forums and threads I am most interesting in. If I have extra time I may go to just my watched forums and browse to see what posts may have been made in the last few days.
Hope this helps someone.
To add to this, another way to see mostly the new content you want to see is to "follow" top posters who usually post in the forums you follow. If you click on your user name on the orange bar at the top you should see and option that says "Your news feed". That seems to show recent actions by posters you are following. I have not yet gotten in the habit of looking at this but it seems to be one more way to see where people are active without looking at the entire board.

Hope this helps someone.

I do the same, but you explained it better than I ever could have.

I do the same, but you explained it better than I ever could have.

Are there other threads on transitioning, trouble shooting, etc? It would be easier if it was in one location due to trying to find things.

For those on an iPad who are bothered by the color scheme as much as I am: I found a setting in the GENERAL settings/ ACCESSIBILITY/ color filters. I changed mine to GRAYSCALE and now everything is just black and white (for all my pages, unfortunately). It's not perfect, but at least I can tolerate seeing a page.

This is what it looks like for me now:

Attachments

• AD6A942E-0F27-4DD1-85A4-E43BC4E7B625.png
    AD6A942E-0F27-4DD1-85A4-E43BC4E7B625.png
    432.9 KB · Views: 56
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors