GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting a body in a lake ( not an ocean) tells me they knew the body would be found eventually. The 1st place they searched was the lake and the killers must have expected that. They were found in 60 foot deep water and coming from a crime scene where no evidence was left by the killers ( they took the time to clean up) i'm convinced they knew the body would rise in no time.

But they aren't always found. Why take the chance? What was the reason?

I have been following this case from the beginning. It's about money.... or revenge/hate/payback. This was not random. Would love to see a PI like Klein on this. Did the family ever hire a someone from the outside to investigate? I can't remember. Just trying to keep this thread alive during the change-over. I think about the Dermonds often and hope it will be solved.

I have been following this case from the beginning. It's about money.... or revenge/hate/payback. This was not random. Would love to see a PI like Klein on this. Did the family ever hire a someone from the outside to investigate? I can't remember. Just trying to keep this thread alive during the change-over. I think about the Dermonds often and hope it will be solved.

Yes, roguelady, I have been consumed by this case, as well, right from the beginning. I feel SS knows the perp or perps and is tying up loose ends, in order to present a solid case. Otherwise, he would be reaching out for assistance. As far as the family is concerned, they have remained eerily silent, and out of the public eye.

IMHO

I have a question I don't recall seeing in any interview . Who knew about the guard shack cameras being down from the storm before the murder? I assume this development has a board and that board has either weekly, monthly or quarterly meetings and this could have been discussed or maybe they didn't know until the murders happened .

This helps bye knowing about this. The cameras at the guard shack not working and the security system at the Dermonds not being activated ( they were strict about setting the alarm) for both of these to be off at the same time and to have this murder happen tells me someone knew about both or 1 of these cameras not working. Amazingly no video from any of the houses had any footage of cars passing by. In a community of luxury houses nobody had a camera pointing out to their driveway? I find this odd as people with money tend to protect their property with security cameras, motion detectors etc. Someone knew both cameras wouldn't be working at that time and planned accordingly . If we can find out if the community knew about the cameras not working we could have another clue.

After reading the "Gone Cold" article above, I was left with a few questions (perhaps I missed something in former article).

1. An "unclaimed" newspaper (singular) remains in the driveway when LE arrives Tuesday morning. Since he was discovered on Tuesday morning (and according to the article, there was also one newspaper with a partially completed crossword puzzle on the table, I assume this is Thursday's paper, folded with a pencil on top)... If she worked part of the crossword puzzle from Thursday's paper and only one newspaper was located in the driveway (we don't know for which day), where were the papers for the other two days? At our home, Sunday's paper is HUGE!

2. Inside the couple’s bedroom, Sills sees clothes on a chair and shoes placed underneath. A pair of khaki shorts, a green polo shirt and dark gym shoes are also in the bedroom. This was what Mr. D. was wearing in the video taken at Publix on Thursday. Were these clothes on the chair or in the dirty clothes hamper? He was wearing his underwear and a red t-shirt and had his houseslippers at his side and his robe bunched under him.

3. He had a deeply severed index finder and some of Mrs. D's hair in his hand. I wonder if he might have been standing next to her when they struck her, and he tried to shield her from the blow? I wonder if any of her blood was found at all on him or in the garage? Her blood almost had to be there, if he had her hair in HIS hand?

I have a few more questions, but my chores call.....

So many things we just don't know. This is such a sad story, and I pray it is solved soon.

Last edited:
I listened to the podcast today and the SS. I also wondered if the multiple towels they used were from inside the house. Who brings towels with them? If they were from inside the house, why didn't they take anything else? Nets were used to wrap the blocks and a sharp knife for the decapitation. It sounds like fishermen. Of course, I am sure they know exactly what kind of nets were used. They may have had all of these items in their garage, but I don't keep towels, knives or nets in my garage. I don't, of course, have a lake and pier behind my home.

I think if the killers are not family they did take something of value and SS is keeping it from us hoping to either have a witness confirm it or he's waiting for it to be pawned or sold.

After reading the "Gone Cold" article above, I was left with a few questions (perhaps I missed something in former article).

1. An "unclaimed" newspaper (singular) remains in the driveway when LE arrives Tuesday morning. Since he was discovered on Tuesday morning (and according to the article, there was also one newspaper with a partially completed crossword puzzle on the table, I assume this is Thursday's paper, folded with a pencil on top)... If she worked part of the crossword puzzle from Thursday's paper and only one newspaper was located in the driveway (we don't know for which day), where were the papers for the other two days? At our home, Sunday's paper is HUGE!

2. Inside the couple’s bedroom, Sills sees clothes on a chair and shoes placed underneath. A pair of khaki shorts, a green polo shirt and dark gym shoes are also in the bedroom. This was what Mr. D. was wearing in the video taken at Publix on Thursday. Were these clothes on the chair or in the dirty clothes hamper? He was wearing his underwear and a red t-shirt and had his houseslippers at his side and his robe bunched under him.

3. He had a deeply severed index finder and some of Mrs. D's hair in his hand. I wonder if he might have been standing next to her when they struck her, and he tried to shield her from the blow? I wonder if any of her blood was found at all on him or in the garage? Her blood almost had to be there, if he had her hair in HIS hand?

I have a few more questions, but my chores call.....

So many things we just don't know. This is such a sad story, and I pray it is solved soon.

It sure seems the murders happened in the house and that means the house wasn't as neat and clean as SS says it was. There's no way this happened outside the house as the risk of being seen or heard would be too great. SS once said he had a timeline of 4:30PM Friday to 4pm Saturday . I believe the newspaper was a USA Today as someone mentioned early on they deliver Saturdays paper on Friday I believe so the paper in the driveway was probably the Monday paper and this might be a reason for SS timeline .

If the clothes on the chair were the ones he was recently wearing my guess is the murder happened within 24 hours of his last sighting when he was wearing those clothes.
The finger clue confuses me. If this was a defensive wound then the beheading was done when he was alive or the murderer at least cut Mr Dermonds throat . the profilier did mention the killers liked knives and guns so maybe Mr D or Mrs D had knife wounds or had been killed with a knife. SS won't release that information again because he wants to hear it from a witness or a confession IMO.

If RD was fighting someone, (Shirley's hair in his hand) there would be DNA under his fingernails. Wouldn't this help solve the case? Get DNA from his relatives. I cannot think of anyone else benefiting from this. If it's not them, then I give up.

SS now claims he has no evidence at the beginning he claimed he had all forms of forensic evidence so who knows . He's lied about this case so many times it seems like these interviews he does is for amusement purposes only. Personally I think SS contaminated the crime scene and none of if any of his evidence would hold up in court so he gives an interview once a year hoping he gets a confession and I believe he has a better chance of winning the lottery. 4 years and no person of interest, not even a sliver of hope. He says he thinks about this case everyday ( How he screwed it up by not bringing in the GBI because he feels the sheriffs departments are being run out of state)

This case should have been solved within 6 months tops and after 6 months he was still scratching his head sitting at his desk waiting for a confession. No leads, no evidence, no suspects past or present. I really hope the Dermonds get justice but I honestly don't think SS is the man to deliver them justice. Maybe it's time to let the GBI take a crack at it but that won't happen because SS botched this investigation from the beginning and the fallout from an outsider finding out would mean the end of his career

SS I know you read this forum so i'll spell it out for you. This killer or killers were full of rage ( who would have rage towards a couple in their late 80's?) FAMILY that's who. oh but they passed a polygraph test which is inadmissible in courts for a reason ( they can be beat easily)

Good luck to the Dermonds on getting justice with this barney fife handling the investigation.

@hockeyguy,
Do you know if the D's have GROWN grandchildren? I saw a picture of family a while back, and the grandsons were grown men. I wondered if they have been polygraphed. This is NOT to throw any accusations anywhere, but it seems the proper way to investigate this horrific crime. I'm sure SS knows a lot more than we do (what is ACTUALLY missing , if anything). Which would indicate crime of passion, hatred, drug related or whatever might be the motive. But, to say there is nothing missing is to throw some cold water on the case, or at least, point it in another direction entirely. I would also be looking into drug related incidents close the the D's. JMO, MOO

They have a few grand kids in their 20's and one is about 30 and he lives in Atlanta. Oddly enough his facebook post of him out on a boat with friends a few days after they found his grandmother looking like he was having a good time.

I don't know maybe I shouldn't even bring this up, it's a long shot, but does anybody know if their son who was killed had children?

It's been a long time since I've been here, but this case has always been in the back of my mind. I had hoped that there would be a resolution by now. I don't think this case will ever be solved as long as SS is in charge. MOO
Who is the female that broke down during an interview with SS?? Is she considered a POI, suspect or someone who has knowledge of the motive of the crime??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member