Welcome To Websleuths

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those on an iPad who are bothered by the color scheme as much as I am: I found a setting in the GENERAL settings/ ACCESSIBILITY/ color filters. I changed mine to GRAYSCALE and now everything is just black and white (for all my pages, unfortunately). It's not perfect, but at least I can tolerate seeing a page.

This is what it looks like for me now:

Interesting. Now I'm curious what colors people are seeing on their ipads-- because that "greyscale" image you attached is exactly the color scheme I see on my laptop (I'm using Firefox browser on Private browsing). It has taken some time to get used to the orange instead of the blue, but I don't think the colors are that bad. My only complaint on the colors is that the orange text is sort of hard to see (as well as the grey text in some places), but I'm not having major trouble with the color like some are reporting.

Gardener ... maybe it doesn't show up as black-and-white unless your settings are changed? Interesting that you can still see it in color. There's just something about that orange that makes my eyes jittery and I get headaches, so I can't stay on WS very long now. I am hoping I found a way around the color problem for me.

Thanks for you observation/input. And for all the help you have given to so many here!

Interesting. Now I'm curious what colors people are seeing on their ipads-- because that "greyscale" image you attached is exactly the color scheme I see on my laptop (I'm using Firefox browser on Private browsing). It has taken some time to get used to the orange instead of the blue, but I don't think the colors are that bad. My only complaint on the colors is that the orange text is sort of hard to see (as well as the grey text in some places), but I'm not having major trouble with the color like some are reporting.

The thumbnail Spellbound attached is what I see on my iPad. I tried changing it to grayscale and it was just b/w...too hard for me to read, and I need color in my life!

The problem I have is the screened percentages of the orange, blue, and black type....sounds like you are too, correct? I think they need to be darker. The orange type on the screened orange box where the members are on the left is almost not legible at all to me...a different color would help.

Only suggestions.

Gardener ... maybe it doesn't show up as black-and-white unless your settings are changed? Interesting that you can still see it in color. There's just something about that orange that makes my eyes jittery and I get headaches, so I can't stay on WS very long now. I am hoping I found a way around the color problem for me.

Thanks for you observation/input. And for all the help you have given to so many here!

Yes I still see orange and white in your screenshot. I guess your settings change on your Ipad is only changing your screen and not the images you post? I'm not the most tech savvy, so I don't have a clue how that works, lol. I've been figuring this new site out as I go. Glad I could help some. :);)

(Side note: I really miss the smiles --these just don't convey the nuance of emotions: o_O:eek::mad::()

The thumbnail Spellbound attached is what I see on my iPad. I tried changing it to grayscale and it was just b/w...too hard for me to read, and I need color in my life!

The problem I have is the screened percentages of the orange, blue, and black type....sounds like you are too, correct? I think they need to be darker. The orange type on the screened orange box where the members are on the left is almost not legible at all to me...a different color would help.

Only suggestions.

I agree on that-- Orange on orange is VERY difficult to see at all. Some text that was orange print on the orange bar got changed to black already so maybe those changes are in the future for the rest of the orange print?

While on the topic of words under the member names, I also noticed that the date a person joined is no longer under their username on the posts (or if it's there I can't see it). I always liked to see that "join date" because then I knew if someone was a brand new poster or if they joined around the time I did, or if they have been around forever... JMO.

I agree on that-- Orange on orange is VERY difficult to see at all. Some text that was orange print on the orange bar got changed to black already so maybe those changes are in the future for the rest of the orange print?

While on the topic of words under the member names, I also noticed that the date a person joined is no longer under their username on the posts (or if it's there I can't see it). I always liked to see that "join date" because then I knew if someone was a brand new poster or if they joined around the time I did, or if they have been around forever... JMO.

Post numbers should be black too. The font is so small that they don't stand out at all.

Ok, now when I am on my computer (on Chrome) punctuation shows up as a white box and people who "like" things show as (deleted user) instead of their names. :(

I just saw your emoji. I had not seen them before on the new site. I know there are a lot more important things to figure out on the new site but I do miss the selection we had prior. o_O:rolleyes::oops::eek::D:p:cool::confused::mad::(;):) but these will work too. :D

I also miss the joined date being front and center. It's an interesting factoid too. imo.

I'm not sure if this will help, but here is one thing you can do-- rather than look at ALL new posts for the entire board choose to follow the forums that you want to see new threads and new posts from. When you select "Watch Forum" there is an option to get a notification when a new thread is created. I have left notifications up only for when a new thread is created and for if someone quotes me. So far it is working out well. When I come to the board I check my alerts to see if anyone has replied to me in a thread and I also browse the new thread titles. Then I go to my "watched" threads and read those. It's still a little overwhelming the number of ways to follow here but so far I find this works better than trying to look at all new posts. I only get content from the forums and threads I am most interesting in. If I have extra time I may go to just my watched forums and browse to see what posts may have been made in the last few days.
Hope this helps someone.
Thank you that is very helpful.

Is there any way to "see" a URL before clicking on it?
On a PC you can hover the mouse over the link and the url shows in the bottom left corner.
example.jpg
On mobile if you long-press the link you should get a pop-up with the url at the top.
Screenshot_20180528-160744.png
These are both for Chrome. Not sure if other browsers behave in the same way.

Hi - Great work on the new site WS team - looks awesome on the desktop!

Having trouble on my phone though, as Tapatalk is no longer an option, would it be possible for you guys to provide a Websleuths App in the future?
Yes. The phone viewing is so tough compared to tapatalk... the desktop version looks great, but I’ve always been a viewer through my phone. Reading without tapatalk makes this incredibly tough.

As I am fumbling about -- ya know what --the "history" tab is our best friend!!

I assume most of us have some basic similarities in terms of scooting about the site.

The history shows you where you have been recent all the other stuff bells and whistles fun to play with but in terms of keeping up with what one is keeping up with at the time is our history!

It is the most logical and helpful click in terms of navigating!

Generally speaking I am not looking for a thread from 2011!

I have played around with others - but the world is going nuts so history is my pal !!

At some level its name is counter intuitive!

I have long believed that left and right brain notions are true! I have also long believed that folks that tend to be very skilled in IT def "see" the world far different than me !!

I love little writing attacks -- they just occur:

Our colors are fab u louse dah lings!!

Watched threads seems like they should be new while new posts seem like they should be new , newer and the newest of all! (in fact the newest newer than new if I had my way!) since history often indicates past why is history newer than new posts but watched threads are not near as new and fresh as history but close to watched threads ( in terms of time ) but not quite as much as recent posts kinda near history while being further away than watched but closer than history which ought, it would seem to me, to be the furthest away in time from either watched or new which are, in reality, more historic than history; which IMO ought to be the most historic regarding a history of each of our own personal historic histories !!!

Historically, what do you think about history-
historically speaking of course! !!

imo!

He he!!

smile!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online