Malaysia airlines 370 with 239 people on board, 8 March 2014 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
See, I don't understand this.

Many, many planes have gone down in the past, usually in the ocean, but also on land, and have never been recovered. Ships have gone down from time immemorial, there was never an expectation that bodies would be recovered, unless they surfaced on their own.

Clearly, the plane went into the ocean and no one survived. Why is it a 'living nightmare' to know your loved one died in a plane crash in the Indian Ocean? Would having murky underwater photos of what might be a plane make any difference?
I agree. But not knowing 100% has to be worse

MH370: Evidence points to Malaysia Airlines wreck being at 35 degrees south in Indian Ocean

Flaperon floating in water Posted 11 Jan 2018, 1:57pm
The recovered aircraft flaperon suggests the pilot was not in control when the aircraft crashed.

View attachment 134565

I don't believe the captain was in control of the plane when it crashed either.
IMO, everyone (including the hijackers) lost consciousness due to lack of oxygen and the plane flew until it ran out of gas.

I agree. But not knowing 100% has to be worse

Other examples are disasters like earthquakes, floods, tsunamis, many bodies aren't recovered. Not to mention soldiers missing in action. This experience of not being 100% sure, but there being really no doubt about what happened, is something that happens a lot. It's not like when the circumstances are completely mysterious, and they just disappeared.

I just think time and money and public energy would be better spent on counselling some people on how to let go and move on.

See, I don't understand this.

Many, many planes have gone down in the past, usually in the ocean, but also on land, and have never been recovered. Ships have gone down from time immemorial, there was never an expectation that bodies would be recovered, unless they surfaced on their own.

Clearly, the plane went into the ocean and no one survived. Why is it a 'living nightmare' to know your loved one died in a plane crash in the Indian Ocean? Would having murky underwater photos of what might be a plane make any difference?

The difference here is the families do not trust the Malaysian government, Malaysia Airlines and they cannot understand why nobody knows where the plane crashed. It is clearly a fact the plane crashed somewhere in the ocean but unless the families get answers and proof they won’t accept it.

In the case of the Chinese passenger’s families in their culture they won’t grieve unless they have their loved ones remains to have a funeral. Many of them do not accept the plane crashed and still believe the plane landed somewhere with their loved ones being held hostage. This is of course absolutely implausible. They have dismissed the parts of the plane that have been found and still believe their loved ones can still come home alive.

This tragedy is very rare because it hasn’t happened in recent modern times that we don’t know where a plane has crashed or why. It is very easy for us to think the families should just accept what has happened and move forward but if I was in their shoes I would find it extremely difficult. I think people have a basic human need and right to know how their loved one died so they can process it, understand it and go through the grieving process.

I can understand the families wanting the search to continue indefinitely but it is going to come to a stop unless by some miracle in the future someone finds the wreckage on the sea bed. I am really surprised they have continued to search this long I thought it would stop as soon as all hope was lost of finding the black boxes with the locator beacon running out of power.

Hang on to your hats! Maybe the search won't end today?

Tweet from Richard Cole linked through Kevin's FB page. His AUV activity chart is included at the link.

Reference end of the search - Seabed Constructor still appeared to be launching AUVs up to 06GMT this morning. Will take 2 more days for all 5 current AUV missions to complete.

Richard Cole on Twitter

Kevin's FB page - MH370 News and Information

As the search for the plane ends tomorrow, Sakinab Shah has spoken out about her younger brother’s Zaharie Shah marriage and reported affair with a married staffer from Anwar Ibrahim’s People’s Justice Party (PKR).

She dismissed suggestions the 56-year-old hijacked the plane to kill himself and the 238 others on board in despair at the end of either relationship as “preposterous”.

Ms Shah said she could not forgive the Malaysian air force for failing to act at the first sign the passenger plane had veered off course on March 8, 2014.

The Malaysian air force has been questioned for not sending a jet up to follow the plane as it went off course.

‘He was naughty’: Doomed MH370 pilot’s sister speaks out

Search for missing plane MH370 heads for one last spot of interest
Ocean Infinity vessel to investigate area where Chinese ship detected ultrasonic pulse

The Guardian has learned that the seafront exploration company’s Seabed Constructor vessel will sail to the spot in the southern Indian Ocean where a Chinese patrol ship detected an ultrasonic pulse – which could have been consistent with that from a black box – in 2014.

A spokesperson for Ocean Infinity confirmed the company was aware of the reports of the possible black box signal four years ago, and it was heading to the area to check it out for themselves before it turns back for good.

Search for missing plane MH370 heads for one last spot of interest

Weekly Update #18 - May 29 2018

Total area covered in Site 1, Site 2, and Site 3 is 88,200 square kilometers. And area covered so far in Site 4 is 18,000.

Weather and sea conditions are forecast to be moderate and not expected to affect search operations.

NOTE: This is for the period of May 21-27. There is no mention of the search ending in this update.

Kevin's dropbox - Dropbox - MH370 Search Weekly Report 18.pdf

I mean I know they can’t search indefinitely but isn’t this kind of premature?

I don’t know it has been over four years now with millions of dollars spent with countless man hours and intensive resources used to search. They don’t even know for sure where to look. I would like the search to go on indefinitely but I realise it can’t. I’m glad I don’t have to be the one making the decision to call it a day leaving the families devastated. It’s a very difficult and heartbreaking situation.

This tragedy is very rare because it hasn’t happened in recent modern times that we don’t know where a plane has crashed or why.

How do you define "recent modern times"? I can't think off hand of another case like this one since the start of the passenger jet age.

The cases that come to mind are the disappearances of the Star Ariel and Star Tiger in the late 1940s, both Avro Tudors built for civilian passenger use but based on earlier bomber designs, that vanished over the Atlantic. Experts have surmised what is likely to have happened but we don't know for sure.

I think people have a basic human need and right to know how their loved one died so they can process it, understand it and go through the grieving process.

I don't see how there can ever be a right to know how someone died in a situation like this, any more than Madeleine McCann's parents have a right to demand that the search for her should continue indefinitely at public expense in the absence of new information.

Sensible minds accept that MH370's passengers died in a plane crash somewhere over the southern Indian Ocean but it's increasingly unlikely we will ever know more than that.

However I do think that the heroic efforts to find Flight 447 and recover the data recorders may have given the families in this later case unrealistic expectations. Flight 447 was exactly where it should have been. MH370 is not.

Last edited:
Officially, the search for missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 ended this week.

Key points:
  • In 2014, Chinese ship Haixun 01 picked up two signals similar to those sent by black box
  • Seabed Constructor is searching a patch of ocean where signal was detected
  • Ocean Infinity is trying to close off as much of the northern search area as possible

But unofficially, the company leading the search continues to scan the ocean floor, and before leaving the Indian Ocean is searching a whole new area, if only for a few days.

Unofficial search for MH370 continues as vessel scans a whole new area

It looks like they will search for two more days in the area of the pings heard by the Chinese ship back at the beginning of the Indian Ocean search.

The ship has been searching an area of the Indian Ocean were a Chinese navy ship detected a 'ping' from a suspected black box less than a month after the plane vanished, news.com.au reported...

'What we are trying to do is to use the last two days that we have in the north area, at the time they thought it [the ping] was a black box,' he said.

Rogue Norwegian exploration ship refuses to give up hope in MH370 search | Daily Mail Online

Adding this post from Kevin's FB to bring search to a conclusion.

MH370 News and Information The search has stopped. That does not, however, mean that there will not be news about MH370. There are a variety of reports due including Ocean Infinity's final report and the Malaysians Final report on MH370. And there are always news articles popping up.

MH370 News and Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members