Australia - Tiahleigh Palmer, 12, slain, Pimpama River, Qld, 30 Oct 2015 #2 *Arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IT WAS school holidays and the Thorburn family had packed the car for a quick camping trip to the picturesque Atkinson Dam, an hour or so inland from Brisbane.

The extended family was there. Aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents. They lined up tents in the shade of gums, under the gaze of cackling kookaburras.

They took turns behind the ski boat, laughing as they tumbled into the water. Then, as the sun dropped below the horizon, they gathered on folding chairs to eat dinner. It was a good day, a fun day. But for one family member, the further the night progressed, the more uneasy she began to feel.

She’d been allocated a tent with the teenage Thorburn boys – Trent and Josh. Trent, the younger of the two, was a couple of years her junior. She felt uneasy around Trent. There’d been an incident a few years earlier, something that had made her feel uncomfortable around him. She’d never told anyone. She hadn’t wanted to cause trouble in the family.

She’d tried to position herself away from him on the queen-sized blow-up mattress the three of them were sharing. But he’d made a point of moving next to her. So she’d insisted on a head-to-toe arrangement.

She fell asleep that way, with her feet by his head, and vice-versa. But some time after her breathing had slowed into that telltale steady rhythm, he’d moved. When she woke he was lying behind her, his face close to the back of her head, his arms stretched around to rest on her stomach, before sliding down, a millimetre at a time, slowly, hoping not to wake her.

She moved suddenly, as though she’d stirred. And he paused, catching his breath, before starting again. He assaulted her then, and she moved again, hoping he would stop. Eventually he did. He got up and left the tent.

She waited a few seconds and unzipped the canvas, determined she’d be gone when he returned.

She walked away, in the opposite direction, watching as he walked to the campsite’s toilet block. Minutes passed as she waited for him to go back to the tent. When he did, she crept back to the family campsite and settled into one of the folding chairs. She sat there all night, waiting for morning. It was some time later, the camping trip a distant memory, that someone told her the Thorburn family would take in a foster child. A young girl. She worried for that girl, whoever she was. Maybe she saw it coming. The tragedy was that others didn’t.

An older article.
Dad is locked up for a long time to come.
Will we hear more about Trent Thorburn in the future?

SLAIN schoolgirl Tiahleigh Palmer’s foster brother has allegedly been sexually involved with at least one other underage girl............

Justice John Bond said there were concerns Thorburn would commit crimes against children if released on bail as police claim he has been sexually involved with at least one other minor.
“I do note there is material … that suggests the alleged offending between the applicant and an underage girl – with Tiahleigh – is not the first occasion he may have been involved in that conduct,” Justice Bond said.

Category: | The Courier Mail

Good they broke the case - agreed to become witnesses ???
So they only spoke when they had been charged with lying and covering up the murder to authorities.

In September 2016, Julene and her sons agreed to become witnesses against Rick Thorburn. But with media camped out on their doorstep, they changed their minds at the last minute.

After they didn’t turn up on the agreed date, the following day police arrested Julene, Trent and Josh over their lies to authorities in covering up the murder. At the same time, Rick was arrested for murder.

Nocookies
Tiahleigh Palmer, delivered into the hands of evil

Maybe I should have clarified.

In my opinion, their testimony may have been desired. Without it the case was quite circumstantial, from what I can see. No absolute proof.

Once they made statements outlining the whole story, as they knew it, Thorburn's case was a slam dunk for the prosecutor. No wonder Thorburn pled guilty. Nothing a lawyer could do for him after those family statements.

My guess is that their statements likely assisted them in getting reduced sentences, and early parole.

Maybe I should have clarified.

In my opinion, their testimony may have been desired. Without it the case was quite circumstantial. Once they made statements outlining the whole story, as they knew it, Thorburn's case was a slam dunk for the prosecutor. No wonder Thorburn pled guilty. Nothing a lawyer could do for him after those family statements.

My guess is that their statements likely assisted them in getting reduced sentences, and early parole.
Yes, and to me, that is worth it rather than letting to killer go free. Compromise. But everyone now knows what those other three did and there will be people who will judge them accordingly. I am pretty sure that Trent will never have the fame that he was looking for and Julene will probably find God.

I have a big problem with this.

Child Safety Minister Di Farmer .... She said there was nothing that could have predicted the crime Thorburn went on to commit.
The Courier-Mail
May 28, 2018 12:31pm

I have been researching about criminal checks between NZ and Australia. As a person can travel fairly freely between the two countries, to me it seems that criminal histories should be shared in some capacity.

One forum conversation says
Q. "My main question though is when i start going for jobs in Australia and I have to sign the inevitable police check disclosure so they can do a background check on me, will it show my nz conviction?"
A. depends on the job really. Any security work, or the police force, yes it will. But a general check, it wont show up.
Basically, if your in a huge position on trust, police etc, then they will do extensive background checks, and it will show up.
Will my NZ criminal record show up on Australian pre-employment background checks?

If this forum response is true, how did Thorburn pass a working with children check, seeing he had a sex crime in NZ? The NZ record could not have been sealed (as they sometimes do, if he was a minor at the time) if this was discovered (as stated in the video drsleuth posted earlier).

I have a big problem with this.

Child Safety Minister Di Farmer .... She said there was nothing that could have predicted the crime Thorburn went on to commit.
The Courier-Mail
May 28, 2018 12:31pm

I have been researching about criminal checks between NZ and Australia. As a person can travel fairly freely between the two countries, to me it seems that criminal histories should be shared in some capacity.

One forum conversation says
Q. "My main question though is when i start going for jobs in Australia and I have to sign the inevitable police check disclosure so they can do a background check on me, will it show my nz conviction?"
A. depends on the job really. Any security work, or the police force, yes it will. But a general check, it wont show up.
Basically, if your in a huge position on trust, police etc, then they will do extensive background checks, and it will show up.
Will my NZ criminal record show up on Australian pre-employment background checks?

If this forum response is true, how did Thorburn pass a working with children check, seeing he had a sex crime in NZ? The NZ record could not have been sealed if this was discovered (as stated in the video drsleuth posted earlier).
It may have not come up on an ordinary background check, because he was a minor, but would still be there for police to find with cooperation from Kiwi LE.

It may have not come up on an ordinary background check, because he was a minor, but would still be there for police to find with cooperation from Kiwi LE.

Yes. I guess I was speaking more generally. It seems that we only look at Aussie databases, when carrying out a working with children check. But when someone comes from overseas, particularly NZ whose people can move so easily to Australia due to our open borders with each other, our check system is not good enough.
We are hugely at risk of awarding a working with children clearance to someone who may have incurred sex offences in their previous overseas location.

Tiah's situation is a prime example of this.

Surely we should be carrying out a greater check, especially with NZ persons whose information would be more easily accessible to our authorities.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members