Abc Cancels Roseanne After Racist Tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoyed the original Rosanne, but didn’t watch this time around. Why? While I can appreciate diversity of opinion, Rosanne’s just go above and beyond into mudslinging paranoidesque conspiracy theories and racism. Especially in these times, I’m tired of racists receiving positive attention, money and power. I can’t believe ABC ran with the reboot, but it was all about the money. I don’t think ABC will make same mistake again, and I hope the show doesn’t get picked up by another network. I’m tired of people looking the other way when they see racism because it serves their greater interests. Thank you ABC for doing otherwise.

I would have loved to have been a "fly on the wall" at ABC Corporate today. Perhaps their first response was to get the positive-spin machine in motion and distance the network from the tweet? If so, I imagine that discussion lasted about .3 seconds. I tend to give folks who make a living at the business of comedy a little more leeway when it comes to "outrageous" outbursts, especially if inciting "outrage" via their humor is their stock in trade.

Where that all-important "line" actually lies is as subjective as any other judgment about humor. . . but heck, that tweeted one-liner not only crossed a veritable gridwork of lines, it wasn't even close to being a particularly humorous observation.

I also wonder if there's a subconscious twitter contest taking place. . . from the highest office to the lowest, it's almost as if there's a race to the bottom of the barrel.

They must be absolutely seething with rage at her for her disgusting stupidity and the lost millions in ad revenue.

I can't say I'm disappointed that the show was cancelled since I didn't even know it was on. I've never cared much for her form of comedy, and her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. As sarcastic as I can be at times, and with my weird sense of humor, I've never thought racist and/or cruel comments are acceptable even if you laugh after saying them (or run a laugh track.)

Yes, you read correctly.

Because Rosanne tweeted something so inappropriate that it offended everyone ABC has canceled her show.

BUT, I will bet you anything ABC will bring it back. Do you really think a corporation like ABC would lose a cash cow like Roseann? No way.

From CNN
ABC cancels 'Roseanne' after star's racist Twitter rant
"In one of the tweets, she wrote, "Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj."

Barr was responding to a comment about Valerie Jarrett, a top former aide to President Obama. She replied to CNN reporter Andrew Kaczynski and said it was "a joke."

I do not think they will bring it back. This crossed a line.

And, in one fell swoop Rosanne just trashed the show, the cast, the black actress playing the granddaughter... Just so completely horrifying.

I saw the first Roseanne episode and what I noticed was how tight the ensemble of actors were. John Goodman is such a great actor...

But Roseanne's tweets didn't stop there...
George Soros is a Nazi. And Chelsea Soros Chilton... Supposedly married to Soros nephew.

#meltdownTuesday

ABC cancels ‘Roseanne’ after its star, Roseanne Barr, went on a vitriolic and racist Twitter rant

---
IMO-- Im sorry, this is not even about political correctness anymore. This is about the ugliest underbelly of humanity.

Taking it to the personal level to advance ones own political agenda is reserved for very few people.

I watched the founder of Starbucks interviewed this morning taking big steps today trying to make it right--an upstanding, thoughtful, redirect for a giant corporation. Ohhhh, yeah, I'll have what they are having.

Omg, I truly applaud ABC for this exceptionally swift decision. Investors (Disney) might be surprised at an uptick for doing the right thing. No going back...

--And I agree, there is some great theater, sitcoms, to be mined that parallel the past.

--Thing I'm wondering is what on earth precipitated this incredible (avalanche really) rant from Roseanne on Twitter? What happened? Why would she sabotage her show like this? Did it go to her head?

Losing her mind?

I had no doubt of the brilliance of the show when it first aired. It was real and raw like All In The Family had been. Roseanne is an equally opportunity offender---grabbing her crotch and horrible singing of the national anthem to the stuff today. She certainly has had her ups and downs in the mental health field. The reboot of the show was fueled in part by the success of Blackish, Modern Family and the gap left in a working class family series when The Middle signed off.

I am appalled by the tweets and the way that she is crossed that boundary. Her life and ideas are her own in theory. However, when you got a show that is entitled your name and you decide to push the boundaries, commercial tv is fickle and sponsors are touchy --national anthem antics pissed off viewers and advertisers, the Hitler photo pissed off viewers and advertisers, and now this. Roseanne just had to keep pushing the envelope. If I were the head of ABC, I would probably do the same. No way would I want that to be associated with my brand (ABC or sponsors)---before or now.

She's done it before too. She called Susan Rice, also African American, "a man with big swinging ape balls."

You really can't rationalize with racists and conspiracy theorists. She seems bonkers to me. But in an ugly, dangerous way.

I do not believe most of the writers or cast would continue to work with her at this point. She's over.

I feel sorry for John, the rest of the cast and all the writers and crew that they have lost work due to Roseanne being an imbecile with very bad judgment. Her apology didn’t sound sincere to me it read like something her publicist had drafted for her.

Can you imagine the panic of her publicist when that garbage was tweeted into the universe?

I do not think they will bring it back. This crossed a line.

I agree - there's no way ABC will bring it back. I applaud their swift decision to cancel a series that should have never been rebooted in the first place. What in the hell were they thinking? Its not as if Roseanne doesn't have a history of making racist comments and promoting ridiculous conspiracy theories.

Were the ABC execs hoping for the best when they rebooted the show? Newsflash: The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior (I was "preaching" this nugget of common sense to my daughters & their friends long before Dr. Phil co-opted it - as I'm sure many of you wise folks were also doing).

Roseanne has effectively stabbed all her co-stars in the back. Undoubtedly, they're all furious with her for obliterating their future income involving the series reboot, as well as the royalties they were paid from the old reruns in syndication (which have also been cancelled).

IMO, not only is Roseanne a racist, she's also a narcissist, as it's apparent that she doesn't consider that her words/actions have any impact on anyone but herself. Classic narcissistic traits.

Roseanne has effectively stabbed all her co-stars in the back. Undoubtedly, they're all furious with her for obliterating their future income involving the series reboot, as well as the royalties they were paid from the old reruns in syndication (which have also been cancelled).

IMO, not only is Roseanne a racist, she's also a narcissist, as it's apparent that she doesn't consider that her words/actions have any impact on anyone but herself. Classic narcissistic traits.

RSBM

The residuals loss will be big for all of them. That is sad for those who were minor characters who never made the big bucks.

I think it is also important to remember that she is also a comedian---with an eye to pushing the envelope. I have no doubt that she is narcissist and racist coupled with her comedic self's desire to shock and push thinking. She has a long history of performing routines that put people's perceptions on their ear.

I also think that the idea of "silent no more" about issues that some on the left and right utilize to speak with no filter, think with no discernment, and believe that their ideas are the only relevant idea is part of this issue as well. Twitter is not a comedy club or a conversation. It is bully pulpit disguised as telling what is on one's mind.

Or feeling emboldened in the current climate?

A bit of both I suspect. Sadly, I have more hope that she will find by the book mental health before she and America will be free of toxic racism, misogyny, homophobia etc. People’s support of ABC’s response gives me hope though. I say ‘by the book mental health’ because while racism may look insane, it isn’t a mental illness.

I agree - there's no way ABC will bring it back. I applaud their swift decision to cancel a series that should have never been rebooted in the first place. What in the hell were they thinking? Its not as if Roseanne doesn't have a history of making racist comments and promoting ridiculous conspiracy theories.

Were the ABC execs hoping for the best when they rebooted the show? Newsflash: The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior (I was "preaching" this nugget of common sense to my daughters & their friends long before Dr. Phil co-opted it - as I'm sure many of you wise folks were also doing).

Regarding your’s and other’s about her co-stars feelings of lost income and exposure, I wonder about that. Although I can’t imagine they were shocked about the offensive tweets, knowing Roseanne as they do, at first I assumed her co-stars must have been shocked about the cancellation considering how much money the show was bring in. Then I wonder about attitude about bringing the show back at ABC. Was she warned and was the warning so severe, people close to the show were aware of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong