Found Deceased CANADA - Ben Kilmer, 41, Cowichan, 16 May 2018

And how much blood? Like “I cut my finger” blood, or a significant amount?

The story I read said a small amount, and that there were no signs of a struggle in the van.

But it also said about some blood found in the woods nearby. I think the story might have been on cbc.ca but not being Canadian I could have that wrong. I read the article when the forum was down for changeover.

I do think the dark patch on Ben's face in that photo looks very much like blood.

I would like to know where Ben's van was located in relation to his last known service appt. and next service appt. that day. If his van was located in a isolated area, not on a normal route between appts then foul play might be a possibility. The van engine running is disturbing to me unless he was making a quick bathroom stop.

I think that could go either way. Van in an isolated area, left running, could also be the case if someone wanted to disappear and make it seem like it was not by choice. This man it was an avid hiker, so fit enough to hike well beyond any eventual search area if he wanted to disappear Speculation and my opinion only.

Here's the latest new story, still no Ben, still huge effort to find him but it does say his phone was found in the vehicle "smashed" - that's the 1st time I've seen it besides facebook...

Searchers explore new areas Saturday to find Ben Kilmer
It's odd they say no signs of a struggle in the van, and yet there's blood and a smashed cellphone. Perhaps they can tell the blood came from him smashing his cellphone?

To me, the only danger in that area is from bears, I can't imagine anyone being kidnapped or attacked in broad daylight in that area.

Here's a couple of the search maps, both my daughter's and my sister's homes are on this map - such a quiet, peaceful area I agree with Satchie not the kind of place you'd expect an attack or kidnapping to happen...

ben's map 2.jpg

ben's map.jpg

Is there any chance that this is related to the disappearance of Dan Archbold and Ryan Daley. We have 3 men (in their late 30's/early 40's) who all went missing on the same day on Vancouver Island. Apparently Ryan Daley lived in Victoria and was 'hitchhiking' from Uclulet. Cowichan is on the way.

Is there any chance that this is related to the disappearance of Dan Archbold and Ryan Daley. We have 3 men (in their late 30's/early 40's) who all went missing on the same day on Vancouver Island. Apparently Ryan Daley lived in Victoria and was 'hitchhiking' from Uclulet. Cowichan is on the way.

I didn’t realize they all went missing from the same area on the same day. Hmmm.....

I didn’t realize they all went missing from the same area on the same day. Hmmm.....

Well, it's a bit area! However, the only way to get from Ucluelet to Victoria is through Cowichan. Dan Archbold, who was traveling with Ryan Daley, lived in Squamish, on the mainland. If he was heading straight home they would have parted ways in Nanaimo, which is "before" Cowichan. However it's not clear what plans Archbold & Daley had as they just arrived back from an 8 week boat trip from Panama.

That's quite a coincidence about the dates.

Ben Kilmer went missing between 11 am and noon.

The two men in Ucuelet, 3 hours drive away, were last seen on security video at 1:30 pm.

I personally think it's just coincidence. The men are similar in age but completely different lifestyles/modes of tranport. Plus two men being together, very different scenarios for what might have happened.

They didn't go missing from the same area, and according to Dan and Ryans family there is no known connection between Ben and the other two. Dan and Ryan were last seen in Ukee, which is 3+ hours from the area that Bens van was found.

I assume that LE has interviewed Ben's coworkers and any of his customer employees that he would have come in contact with on the day of his disappearance. We know that Ben went to work that day due to surveillance images that were released from a work site so someone must have had contact with him that day and maybe they could confirm if he sustained any injury at work which might explain the blood in the van. There is a lot more to this story than what LE and Ben's employer have released to the public so far.

Here's a couple of the search maps, both my daughter's and my sister's homes are on this map - such a quiet, peaceful area I agree with Satchie not the kind of place you'd expect an attack or kidnapping to happen...

View attachment 134956

View attachment 134955

Here is the Find Ben Kilmer FB page admin's comments related to those maps:

This is our current master search map - the areas in Black and Yellow have been searched by volunteers and the areas in Red have been grid searched by Search and Rescue (SAR).

There are 3 Red circles with X’s, starting from right to left. The first area is Stone Pacific where Ben was seen on Video at 10:23am on May 16, dropping off a key from his job at the Wheel Wash in Youbou, earlier Wednesday morning.

The second area (which is surrounded by red grids) is where Bens Norpac work van was seen and discovered running, with his personal belongings inside and no trace of Ben.

The third (further down Cowichan Lake Road) is Currie Park where our search command centre has been stationed.

Ben’s work van was seen on Lake Cowichan Road shortly after 11am. The van was reported empty in the 11th hour and after 12pm. Sometime between 11am and after noon is when Ben went missing.

Search dogs were able to pick up a short trail, which disappeared at a neighbouring property pond a short distance from the abandoned Van. The pond was drained and no trail from there.

Two secondary maps of the region and Cowichan Corridor (Skutz Falls) are also on this file.

There is a lot of information in here. I'm going to make another post with some observations.

What do we know?

- Ben went to a job in the morning and then returned the keys (related to the job) was last seen at 10:23 at Stone Pacific Contracting. It's located on Tansor Rd, on the south side of Hwy 18. He was caught on camera there.
- Ben's Norpac work van was seen sitting on the side of Lake Cowichan Rd, near Menzies, with the door opened. It apparently was left there between 11:00 and 12:00. His personal belongings were found inside. His phone was smashed.
- So, for the sake of argument, 45 - 60 minutes passed between leaving Stone Pacific and the van stopping on Lake Cowichan Rd.
- The distance between where the van was found and where he dropped off the keys, as the crow flies, is only about 1 km. Three-quarters of the way toward Stone Pacific Contracting is a pond (see Sankira Springs Farm on google maps, which abuts to the Stone Pacific property).
- The search dogs followed his trail to a pond, and lost it there.

Possible scenarios, based on what we know:

1) Something happened at Stone Pacific after Ben was seen on the CCTV. A possible altercation or 'intervention', where the 'perp' hurt Ben in his van, drove the van out along Lake Cowichan Rd and dropped him off (perhaps up the Youbou Logging Rd); drove back toward Stone Pacific, parking on the side of the road and hoofing it back to Stone Pacific. This scenario does not work, as the dogs picked up Ben's scent leading from the van. (Did the dogs pick up Ben's scent specifcally, or was it simply the scent of someone walking away from the van?)

2) Ben went to his next job (do we know if he had one and where it was??) where something happened. They dropped him somewhere and then took the van back toward Duncan, so that it looked like something happened on his way back to town. (Which way was the van facing when it was found??)

3) Ben had an accident at the job earlier in the morning, hitting his head. He thought he was o.k., but he wasn't. He dropped the keys back at the Stone Pacific office, then drove around for a while, eventually getting disoriented and naseous. He pulled over to the side of the road to puke. By then his disorientation was increasing, so he wandered off, confused.

4) Ben dropped off the keys at Stone Pacific, and then headed off for another quick job. He had prearranged a meeting/pick-up at a spot along Lake Cowichan Rd. He smashed his phone, so he couldn't be tracked. He left the vehicle running so that it was found under suspicious circumstances. He trekked back toward Stone Pacific, where his "partner" in escape from his current life was waiting to do exactly that.

I'm sure there are other theories.

One thing that seems very unusual in this case is that it is the SAR team that is speaking to the media, simply about their searches. LE is not the one holding press conferences. They seem to want to keep things under wraps, indicating that they have a strong theory in place already.

I have a question. So blood found in the van, MSM reports that blood was found in a nearby trail. Search dogs pick up his scent from the van to the pond but ends there. What if he walked to the pond then doubled back from the pond back to the van on the same trail? A search dog, I don't think, would be able to distinguish whether a human's scent is going "to" somewhere or coming back from?

Maybe something happened that made him angry and he smashed his phone, injured himself in the process thus the blood in the van.....and he walked to the pond to wash off the blood then back to the van and something happened from there?

I have a question. So blood found in the van, MSM reports that blood was found in a nearby trail. Search dogs pick up his scent from the van to the pond but ends there. What if he walked to the pond then doubled back from the pond back to the van on the same trail? A search dog, I don't think, would be able to distinguish whether a human's scent is going "to" somewhere or coming back from?

Maybe something happened that made him angry and he smashed his phone, injured himself in the process thus the blood in the van.....and he walked to the pond to wash off the blood then back to the van and something happened from there?

But, based on google maps, there isn't a pond in sight of where he stopped his van. This would not be where you would stop if you wanted to do that, based simply on looking at the map. (I might be wrong in real life, of course.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back