Abc Cancels Roseanne After Racist Tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, it was political from the start. The most recent racist joke was about a political figure. Roseanne’s racism is not shared by my conservative friends, but part of ABC’s motivation to go with the Roseanne reboot was because of its appeal to conservative American’s because not all republicans are racists, and I don’t think Roseanne’s character on the show was a racist. While I did not watch the show, I believe there were political themes. Trump commented on the show, how many sitcoms have been brought up by a president at a campaign rally? Racism is multi-faceted issue, but in these times it is certainly a political issue, and that’s as it should be. We shouldn’t make excuses for racists, racist sentiments, and behavior be they overt or covert. Racism should be confronted and discussed until it’s erratication from our society. When it comes to making our voices heard, power as consumers and our power as voters are at separate, at times intertwined. In this case, I think they are untwined for many people who support Roseanne and those who do not. Of course they are separate for many others as well, it’s a big country.

If someone supports Roseanne they are not automatically a racist. They may be fans of show or really like Roseanne’s comedy that is not racist. I can say that I’m still an uncomfortable fan of some Jack Kerouac’s backs despite the fact that it’s likely he was a sexist. Were he alive and canned for misogynistic speech or behavior I would applaud it. I think some believe there is an inequity in the levels of consequences and national backlash for the the various frowned upon speech/behaviors made by celebrities and other public figures.

Intelligent post. I think her character is undoubtedly racist though - the Arab neighbors have to be terrorists because they're Muslims and Arabs, for example.

But you give a lot of food for thought. I can rant that she's a monster because she is a racist. But the fact is there are artists whose works I've enjoyed who are or may be disgusting in other ways. Will I still watch Annie Hall even though Woody Allen's kid insists he molested her? What about Bukowksi? Do I enjoy his poetry or novels despite the deplorable way he treated women? Or Wagner? Do I stop listening to his beautiful compositions because there are inferences that he adopted racist ideology?

I do think we have to be intellectually honest about these issues.

Here is the thing though: There's immediacy here. Not only with the timing of her work, but also with the timing of her words. In this day and age with awareness and attention to racial strife, her horrible words are beyond destructive. They affect millions of people. They affect children who may be perceived as less than human by those who listen to her words.

In any event, it's totally a shame. I watched a couple episodes - with reservations because I find her ideas repugnant (although I didn't know about her racist stuff until now). And I think having a show with characters who have different beliefs than my own is valuable and interesting.

It was fun. And people from both sides of the aisle enjoyed it.

It's a shame.

I agree that it would not be looked at with a kind eye. ABC isn’t the show’s distributor. It’s been discussed on different news shows that it could be picked up by a different network. That’s got to be on Roseanne’s mind as she tweets her sorry-not-sorry’s featuring her supporters.

Roseanne - Wikipedia

None of those people is working with her again.

But times, surely, have changed since then. But people like Roseanne think that they have not. You can be as objectionable or as offensive as you like, but that does not exclude you from the court of public opinion.

What a wake up call. It may make the anger all that greater. I wouldn’t want to be around Roseanne for awhile. They, the times, have and they haven’t. Like so many aspects of American life there’s such a great divide between the two. When you look at this today’s events, it demonstrates them both both: hideous racism and a rare response to to it that I hope to see more of.

Intelligent post. I think her character is undoubtedly racist though - the Arab neighbors have to be terrorists because they're Muslims and Arabs, for example.

But you give a lot of food for thought. I can rant that she's a monster because she is a racist. But the fact is there are artists whose works I've enjoyed who are or may be disgusting in other ways. Will I still watch Annie Hall even though Woody Allen's kid insists he molested her? What about Bukowksi? Do I enjoy his poetry or novels despite the deplorable way he treated women? Or Wagner? Do I stop listening to his beautiful compositions because there are inferences that he adopted racist ideology?

Here is the thing though: There's immediacy here. Not only with the timing of her work, but also with the timing of her words. In this day and age with awareness and attention to racial strife, her horrible words are beyond destructive. They affect millions of people. They affect children who may be perceived as less than human by those who listen to her words.

In any event, it's totally a shame. I watched a couple episodes - with reservations because I find her ideas repugnant (although I didn't know about her racist stuff until now). And I think having a show with characters who have different beliefs than my own is valuable and interesting.

It's a shame.
wa
I think it is a bit of a stretch comparing Roseanne with , say, Wagner. Different times and we should all be aware of how far some, but not all of us have come. She is not an artist. She is a woman reciting lines.

It's a shame.

Thank you for the compliment, it happens to fall on a day I particularly need to hear it. That’s probably why I’m chiming in today. While not a person of color, I’m disabled. I can have a very difficult expressing myself, especially verbally. It was quite bad today. I was stuttering and spurting with a customer service rep today and she spoke slow, loud, and kept asking if I understood. My issue is progressive, so I haven’t gotten used to silly reactions. I wonder if I will. I did laugh at her, but I think it’s wrong. I’m grateful for that because I used to make excuses.

I recently found a great little T-shirt company that had a shirt with Bukowski quote. Such a brilliant writer, but knowing who he is, I can’t wear him on my body.

Great point about the immediacy the issue. I wasn’t aware of the Muslim neighbors and her character’s response to them. Do we support something like that to be aired to promote family discussion about how very wrong it is or do we condemn it because of how it will reach children. I’m at a long overdue tipping point when it comes to normalizing, brushing aside and having to witness the pain caused by racism, especially when it involves children experiencing racism, so I agree with you. For me there is also an immediacy as this incident relates to normalizing racism and that topic’s relevance in current affairs.

The more I learn about the show, the more I realize how much putting it on air was about raking in money because there sure wasn’t much wisdom behind it. It is a shame it happened, but it’s demise almost seems inevitable. If Roseanne is mentally ill, I can’t help but be concerned that she may severely mentally ill, and if that is the case, was she was being exploited? People are responsible for their own actions, but depending on the degree of mental illness, that’s not always entirely the case. Setting Roseanne up for a fall that was likely to happen because their chief concern was making money is not acceptable if they knew her mental illness would likely cause the show to be canceled. That’s only if Roseanne is severely mentally ill, which is impossible for us to know. It’s even harder as an outsider looking in to determine where her possible mental illness begins and where her racism ends.

wa
I think it is a bit of a stretch comparing Roseanne with , say, Wagner. Different times and we should all be aware of how far some, but not all of us have come. She is not an artist. She is a woman reciting lines.

True. But there are different types of art and each has its market. Regardless of Rosanne’s overall cultural contribution, or lack there of, she is art. She’s pop art, but I think pop art is about all the artistic expose some Americans get. She certainly evokes a strong response. If she weren’t pop and on a national tv show, I’m sure she could find a place where she and her comedy would be supported. Look at all her supporters.

I remember back in the day, even before the show, maybe when she was on Carson, she received a lot of attention because she was a female stand up comedian. She isn’t just a woman reciting lines, at least she wasn’t on the first show. Her beef with the writers occurred because she was rewriting the show. Underneath the ugliness, there’s talent. I hate defending her, but I am not her, we aren’t her. So sad how things have turned out.

Last edited:
None of those people is working with her again.

She’s lucky she got the chance. I doubt she’ll get many more, she doesn’t deserve any. It was reported that she’s going to be on someone’s show. Once the attention dries up from the show’s cancelation, she’d be foolish to expect offers. The supporters who have started the campaign will soon turn their attention elsewhere and she will no longer be able feed her ego and assuage her fears with their ‘love’.

I am sorry that this ignorant person just took away jobs from an entire set......

Yes, a couple hundred peeps. And the irony is she had a platform to represent different points of views. On a major network! An incredibly popular show.

I didn't see it but read about it, but I'm wondering if the last show dealing with perceptions of Muslim neighbors "as terrorists" got some blowback?

The show was renewed but was slated for more of a focus on family. Maybe that ticked Roseanne off.? -She's involved in the writing. I imagine she drove the writers crazy -- Imo.

I am not a sitcom person, but I watched the first episode and thought the character exchange of her sister arriving decked out in the pink "nasty woman" tee shirt and pussy hat for a visit WAS hilarious. And the levity was refreshing.

John Goodman, he was just a perfect comedic partner. I especially feel for him because he is comedy gold.

Roseanne had a great original cast acting with her. Something truly unique. And she just threw everyone overboard for her own psycho-meltdown. What a damn shame.

The one thing I remember filtering down from the 90's era, was her "Domestic Goddess". --That was awesome.

Unfortunately, I think getting a personal congratulations from the president went to her head. And she felt herself more important than the rest. And it all falls apart from there. Especially on Twitter.

This is SO gross. IMO, VJ is one of the most evil people on the planet, and Roseanne could have used her platform for good--to spread the word of VJ's monstrous deeds.

Oh well, I guess she goes in the trash heap with Kathy Griffith. I never watched the show, but I feel really bad for the cast/crew.

This is SO gross. IMO, VJ is one of the most evil people on the planet, and Roseanne could have used her platform for good--to spread the word of VJ's monstrous deeds.

Oh well, I guess she goes in the trash heap with Kathy Griffith. I never watched the show, but I feel really bad for the cast/crew.

VJ one of the most evil people on the planet?!

Monstrous deeds?!

Read at WS for awhile and you will learn what evil and monstrous deeds are.

Don’t want to want to deflate the naivety but read the crime on children, read crimes in the news- it will be eye opening and put things in perspective and help you understand the world.

Bbm: Honestly, no good comes from an inarticulate, hate filled tweet like Roseanne's. Nor does anyone much care about her personal politics, or spreading targeted hate, or a personal vendetta, or perceived evil monstrous deeds... But she has her supporters, nonetheless.

If you watch the first episode, you'll see they addressed the issues, the feelings felt on both sides of a really divided country... It was a bold undertaking.

Why do people end up in the trash heap? It seems to be happening a lot, when perfectly formed adults resort to the most infantile, muddled, conspiratorial methods of expression with no depth -- on a powerful world platform like Twitter.

~ imo ~

This was a 30 minute show. If you back out all the commercials, it is about 15 minutes of scripted "comedy". Kids that are cute and funny as kids do not necessarily grow up to be the same. IMO Roseanne became an obnoxious person even back then.

JMO

I really have no opinion on Valarie Jarrett. I would assume she is my opposite in political beliefs. That said, how dare someone post racist, nasty, i can't find the words....things against her. It is just disgusting to me.

Roseanne Barr Says Ambien Played Role In Racist Tweet That Spiked Her Show's Reboot

"It was 2 in the morning and I was ambien tweeting — it was memorial day too — I went 2 far & do not want it defended," Barr said in a tweet Tuesday night.

She also said she believed Jarrett was Saudi or Jewish or Persian, rather than black. But when she invoked the sleep aid, her critics pounced.

From Ragnorak Lobster, on Twitter:

"AMBIEN SIDE EFFECTS: Peddling bizarre conspiracy theories, voting for white nationalists, doing photo shoots while dressed as Hitler and tanking your career by calling black women apes. If your racism lasts longer than four hours, please see a doctor."

Roseanne Barr Says Ambien Played Role In Racist Tweet That Spiked Her Show's Reboot

---

Oh hello?

Oh my goodness....

Bbm: How dumb can she be? Yikes!!!

It's so ironic with all the Russia investigations. I grew up in the Cold War. For that reason, I do not have a SM account, no FB, no Twitter. Some little birdie told me no, don't do it! --I still believe in old fashioned letters...

It's amazing, the digital footprint... It's a forever thing.

I believe Roseanne, she could well have been Ambien posting, like drunk posting. It's like letting the horses out of the barn. If they are drunk, who knows where they'll end up. Right?

In some ways I'm surprised, or maybe ABC did have a clause that Roseanne violated. I'm thinking this is a whole new insurance clause because here we have one person who has brought down a whole show, and how many peeps with it?

I'm sure ABC will compensate because they renewed Roseanne, and, lo and behold, the writers showed up yesterday for season 2.

Hopefully, those writers, and cast members might craft something even more popular. I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

30 Presidential Nicknames—Explained!

---

It's interesting... Presidential nick names, they are nothing new.

And anyone entering the political arena, beware!

What is disturbing about Roseanne is she's bringing up new history, with old disproven conspiracy theories... For what? Political purposes? Now? Aside from her horror show, teenage Twitter meltdown rant, what was the point?

She had no message. Other than to body slam a woman with whom she disagrees, and we don't know why. She never explained. Roseanne has no message other than to be a "mean girl". That's really so pathetic for someone her age. What, 60 something?

She threw her hard working "Roseanne" cast and writers, production staff under the bus, for her own self-serving purpose.

Is any red or blue state going to support that? No, I don't think so.

It kind of goes against the whole premise of jobs jobs jobs.

The talented cast and writers of Roseanne will go on. ABC has some of the best shows on TV.

And, meanwhile, after the drunk horses have left the barn, there's no knowing where they'll end up...

... To be continued.

What, specifically, has she done that is evil and monstrous?

Good Q. But I fear that debate will get us into the "time out" zone.

Generally, those who have served government, on both sides, for decades, are being run up the flagpole.

Stupid celebrities have the the podium on Twitter, etc...how these idiots are driving the narrative is kind of insane... Imo.

It's a damn shame. Issues, not personalities should be key. But in this climate of shaming, the issues take second or third place.

Roseanne exemplifies this in her self serving agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa