Welcome To Websleuths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the top of your page @lonetraveler @Gooddeeds where the page numbers are listed. It won't take you to the newest post but it will take you to your first unread post.
See below where it shows "40" as being the last page and then it says, "Go to First Unread". That is as close as you will get to latest post I believe
View attachment 135094

Thanks Tricia. Mine has the page numbers with next or previous but ‘first unread’ is missing.

Testing to see if the emojis built in on my computer will work.

Guess that's a no:)

Testing different built in emojis ⇒⟹◉❖♤♧♡✂︎✏️❤️

Testing some more ✂️☑️♦️️‍☎️

⚽️‍♀️⭐☂️

So, it seems some work, some don't. These are from a Mac

Ooh, I have a Mac too. Putting this to use. I forget about this option.

does anyone know how you are notified of a point deduction

When starting a thread when you make a mistake in the title and go to edit it does not give you the title back to edit only the body of the post anyone know why

does anyone know how you are notified of a point deduction

When starting a thread when you make a mistake in the title and go to edit it does not give you the title back to edit only the body of the post anyone know why

You will receive an alert about warning points.

My watched threads aren't showing. i unwatched them and tried again, still nothing.
What am I doing wrong?

I've seen some people mention they'd like to see the joined date under people's names - I agree but I'd even more like to see people's location (obviously for people who've put it in their profile, those who leave it blank should remain anonymous); it helps a lot to know if someone is or is not from the country involved, as they're more likely to need extra context in replies if not familiar with the culture or legal system.

Love the watched threads system btw; I never tried the subscriptions (I had the impression they'd be marked read when I left the site, although that may have been wrong, can't go back to check now lol) but this move prompted me to actually try it and it's great, everything I could've wanted. Suddenly my mountain of bookmarks is a lot smaller; now I just keep them for threads I intend to read but haven't yet started, or am partway through, any where I'm up to date and just want to follow for new updates can be covered by watching now :)

Is there a reason I can only delete my posts downstairs and not up here in the day to day threads?
That's odd. You all have one hour to edit or delete your post. When you tried to edit your post in the public forum had it been more than an hour?

I hate to complain about the new site at all, but there are issues for many people that could reduce the amount of activity on the site. Overall, this is definitely a superior web version of the forum. However, I think they will see less activity on the site, because for the many Tapatalk users who are used to using a very intuitive program, it's beyond frustrating. Things that are difficult and preventing some of us from engaging generally, and especially with new threads are:

Tapatalk had at least 3 categories (more, I think) at the top margin for showing us a running list of activity on subscribed threads, new threads, our friends' activity on threads, etc. This is how I became engaged in new threads. If I had to go through the hoops on the web, old or new version, I would have posted and engaged 95% less. My activity on the site didn't spike until I discovered tapatalk last year.

Finding a list of your own most recent posts was easy.

Viewing the basics on your profile, including those you followed and such was very simple.

Messaging was super simple.

In short, I think that Tapatalk's intuitive format likely drew a lot more people into being active. It was an incredible tool for the WS community, and I'm betting, based on the comments I've seen, that it increased overall activity for many others.

This new stuff is awesome if you were viewing the site on the web. But for tapatalk users, it feels like several steps backwards .

I'm not saying WS is going to lose tapatalk users entirely, BUT I do think that many will become less engaged, not because they want to be, but because we simply aren't going to see stuff, old and new, in the various feeds we used to have access to. And for many of us, we don't have the time to dig. I tried last night for hours to figure out how to access similar feeds or find ways to make up for that loss, and couldn't.

So I just want admin to be aware of this, and if they see usage stats go down, consider that this could be a cause.

Still, kudos on making the web version much better.
I hate to complain about the new site at all, but there are issues for many people that could reduce the amount of activity on the site. Overall, this is definitely a superior web version of the forum. However, I think they will see less activity on the site, because for the many Tapatalk users who are used to using a very intuitive program, it's beyond frustrating. Things that are difficult and preventing some of us from engaging generally, and especially with new threads are:

Tapatalk had at least 3 categories (more, I think) at the top margin for showing us a running list of activity on subscribed threads, new threads, our friends' activity on threads, etc. This is how I became engaged in new threads. If I had to go through the hoops on the web, old or new version, I would have posted and engaged 95% less. My activity on the site didn't spike until I discovered tapatalk last year.

Finding a list of your own most recent posts was easy.

Viewing the basics on your profile, including those you followed and such was very simple.

Messaging was super simple.

In short, I think that Tapatalk's intuitive format likely drew a lot more people into being active. It was an incredible tool for the WS community, and I'm betting, based on the comments I've seen, that it increased overall activity for many others.

This new stuff is awesome if you were viewing the site on the web. But for tapatalk users, it feels like several steps backwards .

I'm not saying WS is going to lose tapatalk users entirely, BUT I do think that many will become less engaged, not because they want to be, but because we simply aren't going to see stuff, old and new, in the various feeds we used to have access to. And for many of us, we don't have the time to dig. I tried last night for hours to figure out how to access similar feeds or find ways to make up for that loss, and couldn't.

So I just want admin to be aware of this, and if they see usage stats go down, consider that this could be a cause.

Still, kudos on making the web version much better.

Yes, this, exactly! This new website look and feel is far, FAR superior than the old website. It is much less clunky and much prettier. However, I used Tapatalk exclusively and like it so much better than even this new and improved look. Seriously that lack of being able to customize how many posts on a page is enough to have drastically cut back on the time I spend reading here. I really hate having to click the little buttons to move to the next page of the thread. It was easier to follow threads and find what I was looking for,. I really miss Tapatalk, and hope it will be reconsidered to allow compatibility.

Re: Custom Title
Thank you, JerseyGirl and Tricia, for assistance with "custom title". I hadn't checked for a couple of days but noticed that there is now a special box for the Custom Title that wasn't there originally following the move. All's well that ends well :)

I've seen some people mention they'd like to see the joined date under people's names - I agree but I'd even more like to see people's location

Ooh yes. I didn't realize just how often I consulted that particular bit of info until it was gone.

That's odd. You all have one hour to edit or delete your post. When you tried to edit your post in the public forum had it been more than an hour?
Where is the delete button? Can you post a screenshot. I see an "Edit" button. Then there is a button for "More Options". But there are no more options displayed. I see no delete option anywhere. And if I delete all the text, it gives me this popup:
The following error occurred:
Please enter a valid message.

Hold on... testing.

ETA: Nope, I cannot delete this post, but I can delete my post (if less than an hour has passed) in the basement.

Last edited:
Here is what I see. Here and in the Jury Room.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2018-05-30 at 12.57.05 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2018-05-30 at 12.57.05 PM.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Screen shot 2018-05-30 at 12.58.34 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2018-05-30 at 12.58.34 PM.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 19
I've seen some people mention they'd like to see the joined date under people's names - I agree but I'd even more like to see people's location (obviously for people who've put it in their profile, those who leave it blank should remain anonymous); it helps a lot to know if someone is or is not from the country involved, as they're more likely to need extra context in replies if not familiar with the culture or legal system.

Love the watched threads system btw; I never tried the subscriptions (I had the impression they'd be marked read when I left the site, although that may have been wrong, can't go back to check now lol) but this move prompted me to actually try it and it's great, everything I could've wanted. Suddenly my mountain of bookmarks is a lot smaller; now I just keep them for threads I intend to read but haven't yet started, or am partway through, any where I'm up to date and just want to follow for new updates can be covered by watching now :)

Oh yes, I would also like to see locations easily with the post!

Edited: never mind. I misunderstood your question.

I find the View First Unread button at the top helpful. Not necessarily the latest, but it picks up where you last left off. Otherwise I skip to the last
Yes, I use that one too but in the old days you could set up the order (see oldest post first or newest posts first). I guess it isn't available anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998