Trafficking Of Migrant Children?

Good news and bad news- there IS actually some children listed on NamUs as kids "last seen crossing the border from Mexico into Arizona" etc
The bad news I made the mistake of looking at the unidentified form....so many deceased, unclaimed infants

I don't have the stomach for anymore tonight

It's a lot. I usually stick to UID's on here, and work on getting out info on MP cases on SM more, but it you're not used to it, it can be pretty upsetting. There are a LOT of UID migrants listed in Namus. And we know that's not all of them. :(

The bigger story might be that this administration is causing more children to become "unaccompanied minors", tearing them away from their parents and then putting them in foster care, even when the families then ask to withdraw their applications for asylum.

"Federal court rulings have set strict standards on the conditions under which families can be detained. Under the Obama administration, courts ruled that they couldn’t be kept in detention for more than 20 days.

The Trump administration’s solution, now codified in policy, is to stop treating them as families: to detain the parents as adults and place the children in the custody of Health and Human Services as “unaccompanied minors.”

In some cases, according to immigration lawyers, parents separated from their children have begged to withdraw their asylum applications — on the logic that it would be easier for them to reunify their families in their home countries."

And then we just keep them? This happened to a toddler:

"Instead agents imprisoned the 28-year-old in July for coming back into the country after having been deported, a felony. They placed the toddler in a federal shelter, though where, Pastor didn’t know. Three months later, in October, the father was deported — alone. His child, he said agents told him, was “somewhere in Texas.”"

I cringe at the thought of what may become of these children when we refuse to reunite them with their parents.

Immigration advocates aren’t asking #WhereAreTheChildren. Here’s why.

This makes it sound as though children aren't being separated from parents and some aren't straight up missing.

This is patently false.

This is not an either or situation. It is possible the most recent stories were mistineterpeted and overestimated the number missing AND that kids are being ripped from their parents ( they are) and some are missing.

The bigger story might be that this administration is causing more children to become "unaccompanied minors"
Un accompanied minors can apply for Asylum on their own, even if they are very young. As the system has a huge back log, their claims can take years to resolve. Unaccompanied minors can legally remain in the country until the claim is resolved.

In short, if the Trump administration wants to deport people as soon as legally possible, the last thing they would be doing is to create "unaccompanied minors" as such people can legally remain in the U.S. for years, and could well get residency status. If they get residency status, the minor can eventually become an 'anchor', and immigrate his extended family- something else that Trump is opposed to.

Last edited:
This makes it sound as though children aren't being separated from parents and some aren't straight up missing.

This is patently false.

This is not an either or situation. It is possible the most recent stories were mistineterpeted and overestimated the number missing AND that kids are being ripped from their parents ( they are) and some are missing.
"kids are being ripped from their parents" kind of makes it sound like the current administration is running across the border and stealing the children. As opposed to these children being put into these dangerous situations. I'm pretty sure the majority of non-citizen kids coming here is because their family or guardian made that choice. Surely by now word has leaked out about how this plays out. As a parent, one would think, maybe keep your babies with you and protected and do not put them into a situation where they are out of your vision. Safety first!

Un accompanied minors can apply for Asylum on their own, even if they are very young. As the system has a huge back log, their claims can take years to resolve. Unaccompanied minors can legally remain in the country until the claim is resolved.

In short, if the Trump administration wants to deport people as soon as legally possible, the last thing they would be doing is to create "unaccompanied minors" as such people can legally remain in the U.S. for years, and could well get residency status. If they get residency status, the minor can eventually become an 'anchor', and immigrate his extended family- something else that Trump is opposed to.

Well, the thing is those minors do not have a right to representation- so unless they have the money to hire one, they often go through court proceedings to determine if they will be granted asylum without a lawyer.

This applies for all children regardless of age- did you know that?- I recently read about a one year old going through court with no lawyer....how do you think she did?

so, in short, it doesn't matter if they are creating the unaccompanied minors- you seem to be under the impression these kids are automatically allowed to stay- again, absolutely not true

Immigrant Children Do Not Have the Right to an Attorney Unless They Can Pay, Rules Appeals Court

http://trac.syr.edu/immigration/reports/482/

"kids are being ripped from their parents" kind of makes it sound like the current administration is running across the border and stealing the children. As opposed to these children being put into these dangerous situations. I'm pretty sure the majority of non-citizen kids coming here is because their family or guardian made that choice. Surely by now word has leaked out about how this plays out. As a parent, one would think, maybe keep your babies with you and protected and do not put them into a situation where they are out of your vision. Safety first!
I think it's amazing you assume all of these kids even have parents

This applies for all children regardless of age- did you know that?- I recently read about a one year old going through court with no lawyer....how do you think she did?

so, in short, it doesn't matter if they are creating the unaccompanied minors- you seem to be under the impression these kids are automatically allowed to stay- again, absolutely not true

There are many agencies that offer legal assistance to unaccompanied minors pro bono. Likewise, there are many agencies who specialize as advocates. Catholic Charities would be a good place to start regarding advocacy and representation.

Likewise, I never said that all are allowed to stay. Rather, I simply stated that the cases can take years to resolve (factual) and I also said a certain number are allowed to stay (again, factual).

Also, "unaccompanied" does not mean truly with out family in the US. Rather,a certain number though still designated legally as "unaccompanied" are released to relatives.

Last edited:
There are many agencies that offer legal assistance to unaccompanied minors pro bono. Likewise, there are many agencies who specialize as advocates. Catholic Charities would be a good place to start regarding advocacy and representation.

Likewise, I never said that all are allowed to stay. Rather, I simply stated that the cases can take years to resolve (factual) and I also said a certain number are allowed to stay (again, factual).

Also, "unaccompanied" does not mean truly with out family in the US. Rather,a certain number though still designated legally as "unaccompanied" are released to relatives.

It’s not that easy for them to find representation.

Immigration advocates aren’t asking #WhereAreTheChildren. Here’s why.
Advocates worry about two distinct hurdles. First, the separation policy creates a larger number of unaccompanied minors in the United States — which means a bigger pool of children vying for limited attorney services from the pro bono firms that typically take their cases.

KIND, where Podkul works, is one of those organizations — and it’s already worried about how it will handle the uptick in minors who are facing deportation hearings on their own.

“We’re a bit in panic mode,” says Podkul. “There are very limited organizations that have this specialty and provide these services; less than half of children get representation, and now they’ve just added 600-plus kids.”

That could have real effects for children, as those who receive representation are significantly more likely to win in deportation hearings. One 2014 study found that unaccompanied minors with representation have a 73 percent chance of winning their case, compared to just 15 percent for those without an attorney.

What’s more, Podkul says that children are less able to defend themselves against deportation hearings when they aren’t able to contact their parents.

The parents, for example, likely know better why they believe their children ought to be given asylum in the United States. They’re more likely to be carrying the paperwork to make that case too.

“These cases get a lot harder when these kids are separated from an adult,” says Podkul. “If a child has traveled with an adult, the parent often knows the full story of why they’re seeking asylum. They have documents like birth certificates or police reports. But once these kids are separated, they’ve lost communication. It makes our job a lot harder.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back