GUILTY NC - Kathleen Peterson, 48, found dead in her Durham home, 9 Dec 2001

I actually think an owl was responsible for the wounds...but it's possible that Michael either finished her off or deliberately ignored her cries for help.

I think the owl theory is JUST crazy enough to be true, as it explains a lot of stuff.

I do think that Elizabeth Ratliff's death was just a tragic accident, as she was reported to be having issues a few days before her death. I really do think she had a hemorrhage and fell down the stairs.

Perhaps Michael Peterson is extremely unlucky!

fascinating case, crazy case. I think it is rare for people to just snap and murder out of the blue. He had a good life with his wife. He made mistakes, as all of us do. He lied about some things. Who hasn't? Prosecutors want to find the guilty. Too much is circumstantial here. The truth can be turned every which way to make something appear like something it is not. I just don't know.

I just have a couple more items that are nagging at me....no high blood spatter cast off, although lots of lower level blood, and....way too much blood, period. i am still wondering if kathleen was on a blood thinner. Fascinating, troubling case.

There was blood splatter very high on the wall in the staircase, though.

Peterson Weapon Theory - New

Ok, so I did a cursory Google search as well as a search here and haven’t seen this idea out there yet. Forget the blowpoke being the primary weapon - to me, it doesn’t fit all the requirements of the evidence. I had an epiphany this morning of what it could have been, and it’s a much more common household object. What if Michael Peterson used an... umbrella??? Think about it. The ribs could have caused the lacerations that looked like talon marks. It would have caused excessive blood spatter. It’s a light enough weapon not to leave bruising. And if it had been used recently, it could have accumulated small feathers from a bird passing overhead which then would have been left behind as trace evidence.

Has anyone considered an alternate weapon before - other than bird talons? Has anyone ever heard of an umbrella being postulated in this case? Was there even an umbrella present at the scene? I’m curious to hear thoughts, feedback, opinions - all of it.

I have been watching "The Staircase" on Netflix. Even though I have followed the case for many years, and know all the details, I am fascinated by the behind the scenes clips of the attorneys and witnesses.
It's a fascinating case. You can take twists and turns all over the place with this one. Did you know there was no DNA testing done on Kathleen's clothes? I'm still thinking possibility of an intruder. A young perp in sneakers is in and out of the house in a flash. Maybe someone who knew they were out at the pool and he was surprised by Kathleen. Boom! She's down, the perp is out before Mike Peterson ever gets up from his chair. Just my humble supposition.

Peterson Weapon Theory - New

Ok, so I did a cursory Google search as well as a search here and haven’t seen this idea out there yet. Forget the blowpoke being the primary weapon - to me, it doesn’t fit all the requirements of the evidence. I had an epiphany this morning of what it could have been, and it’s a much more common household object. What if Michael Peterson used an... umbrella??? Think about it. The ribs could have caused the lacerations that looked like talon marks. It would have caused excessive blood spatter. It’s a light enough weapon not to leave bruising. And if it had been used recently, it could have accumulated small feathers from a bird passing overhead which then would have been left behind as trace evidence.

Has anyone considered an alternate weapon before - other than bird talons? Has anyone ever heard of an umbrella being postulated in this case? Was there even an umbrella present at the scene? I’m curious to hear thoughts, feedback, opinions - all of it.

They immediately jumped to the husband, and neglected further investigation. Where's the weapon? Umbrella or whatever? Did he hop in his car and discard it somewhere? Doubtful. Where there any breakins in the neighborhood in that time span? Remember, they were drinking out by the pool, which is a distance from the staircase. What would YOU do , if you came in from a relaxing evening and found your loved one bashed, bloody. What do you do? You're in shock, you grab them, you peer at them and shout at them to get up......then you call while you are a bloody, sobbing, incoherent mess. Your mind does not accept what it sees. It's not simple.

I am totally obsessed with this case and have changed my mind many times. But I've finally settled on guilty. If you go back to the first scene of The Staircase, when he is at the pool, recounting their final moments together he says "And that's the last time I saw her alive. Ah.. well no, she was alive.. " etc. I think that's a fairly major slip up.

Also - why all the paper towels? And why "My wife! She's fallen down the stairs!" REALLY? Because most people looking at that scene do NOT immediately think - ah yes, a tumble down the stairs. He himself had written about an intruder/robbery they'd had WHILST AT HOME with all the lights on and with cars on the forecourt. So SURELY, your first thought would be not 'oh clearly fallen down the stairs' but she's been attacked. And why do you say 'She's still breathing'. Why not "Oh my God, she's in a really really bad way - there's so much BLOOD" Why not mention the massive sticky red elephant in the room... the blood!!!!

I think they watched a film together. After that, she left to check her emails. And then didn't come back for quite a time. When he finally realised what was happening, he went to see her and found her incadescent with rage and hurt. She said something like "everyone is going to know what you really are" and he snapped. At first he grabbed her by the throat but she pulled away, trying to dash up the back stairs. He pulled her down and slammed her head once into the skirting board and twice against a step. She passed out and he stood there, horrified. He was certain he'd killed her and went out onto the patio, possibly even down to the pool, pacing and working out what to do - his son would be coming back soon!!!

But he'd seen something like this before - even if he didn't do it - people fall down stairs. So he dashed in and opened another bottle of wine - pouring it down the sink and putting two glasses out. (The cops would smell the alcohol down the sink and note only his finger prints were on the glasses), Then he heads back to the scene and OH MY GOD. Not only is the blood horrific - she's been bleeding out all this time.. SHE'S GETTING UP. Her feet are drenched in her own blood and she's moaning - so he grabs... (what, I don't know - possibly a full coke can) and hits her hard, three or four times, until she's down again.

This is getting really out of control. He has to get rid of the emails. He goes through to the computer and spends sometime trying to hide evidence. He goes outside and buries the item he bludgeoned her with in some woodland. Then he comes running back and decides he'll have to clean up some of the blood - this is way to much blood for her to have fallen down the stairs, even he can see that. But then he's trying to soak it up and there's just so much and he realises it's going to look dodgy if he tries to dispose of the blood soaked paper towels as he wouldn't that if he was trying to get her help. So he abandons the towels - realising he can't carry them anywhere, they'll just have to stay there. First he tries to clean his bloody foot prints up from where he's gone through to the laundry - he takes his shoes off. Christ, what a mess.

After what feels like only 10 minutes, but has probably been over an hour, he steels himself to make the call. He knows people must think he found her ALIVE. And so he calls...

"My wife... she's still breathing".

That's my take on it anyway.

Before I go to Netflix to watch this, is it the same documentary that aired a few years ago? The one where they’re all at the house with camera crews and attorneys sitting around brainstorming? Or is this a new production?

Before I go to Netflix to watch this, is it the same documentary that aired a few years ago? The one where they’re all at the house with camera crews and attorneys sitting around brainstorming? Or is this a new production?
Same one but they've added three further episodes. Fascinating stuff!

Yes, same one but they’ve taken out all the stuff about the owl. I was disappointed in that.

I have been watching "The Staircase" on Netflix. Even though I have followed the case for many years, and know all the details, I am fascinated by the behind the scenes clips of the attorneys and witnesses.

Hello Harmony 2,

I am halfway through watching "The Staircase" as well. Some details I may have forgotten over the years however I do recall the main points.

This documentary is a good study in forensic behavior!

As you mention, the behind the scenes clips are fascinating. There were a few moments where I was surprised that a few comments made in the clips hadn't been edited out.

I am looking forward to reading more of this thread once I've finished watching.

They immediately jumped to the husband, and neglected further investigation. Where's the weapon? Umbrella or whatever? Did he hop in his car and discard it somewhere? Doubtful. Where there any breakins in the neighborhood in that time span? Remember, they were drinking out by the pool, which is a distance from the staircase. What would YOU do , if you came in from a relaxing evening and found your loved one bashed, bloody. What do you do? You're in shock, you grab them, you peer at them and shout at them to get up......then you call while you are a bloody, sobbing, incoherent mess. Your mind does not accept what it sees. It's not simple.
I respect your opinion, laces, and we all have one.
I thought they found the blow poke in the attic.
Investigators were immediately drawn to the husband b/c it was just the two of them there and he said Kathleen was intoxicated and she wasn't.
He murdered her, I have always believed that and an Owl or other evil murdering bird/poultry/fowl is just as ridiculous as Peterson himself. JMO

As far as what I would do if I found a loved one in this situation, I have no idea and I pray I'm never faced with such horror.

I respect your opinion, laces, and we all have one.
I thought they found the blow poke in the attic.
Investigators were immediately drawn to the husband b/c it was just the two of them there and he said Kathleen was intoxicated and she wasn't.
He murdered her, I have always believed that and an Owl or other evil murdering bird/poultry/fowl is just as ridiculous as Peterson himself. JMO

As far as what I would do if I found a loved one in this situation, I have no idea and I pray I'm never faced with such horror.
they found the blowpike in the garage and determined it was not the murder weapon.

I am totally obsessed with this case and have changed my mind many times. But I've finally settled on guilty. If you go back to the first scene of The Staircase, when he is at the pool, recounting their final moments together he says "And that's the last time I saw her alive. Ah.. well no, she was alive.. " etc. I think that's a fairly major slip up.

Also - why all the paper towels? And why "My wife! She's fallen down the stairs!" REALLY? Because most people looking at that scene do NOT immediately think - ah yes, a tumble down the stairs. He himself had written about an intruder/robbery they'd had WHILST AT HOME with all the lights on and with cars on the forecourt. So SURELY, your first thought would be not 'oh clearly fallen down the stairs' but she's been attacked. And why do you say 'She's still breathing'. Why not "Oh my God, she's in a really really bad way - there's so much BLOOD" Why not mention the massive sticky red elephant in the room... the blood!!!!

I think they watched a film together. After that, she left to check her emails. And then didn't come back for quite a time. When he finally realised what was happening, he went to see her and found her incadescent with rage and hurt. She said something like "everyone is going to know what you really are" and he snapped. At first he grabbed her by the throat but she pulled away, trying to dash up the back stairs. He pulled her down and slammed her head once into the skirting board and twice against a step. She passed out and he stood there, horrified. He was certain he'd killed her and went out onto the patio, possibly even down to the pool, pacing and working out what to do - his son would be coming back soon!!!

But he'd seen something like this before - even if he didn't do it - people fall down stairs. So he dashed in and opened another bottle of wine - pouring it down the sink and putting two glasses out. (The cops would smell the alcohol down the sink and note only his finger prints were on the glasses), Then he heads back to the scene and OH MY GOD. Not only is the blood horrific - she's been bleeding out all this time.. SHE'S GETTING UP. Her feet are drenched in her own blood and she's moaning - so he grabs... (what, I don't know - possibly a full coke can) and hits her hard, three or four times, until she's down again.

This is getting really out of control. He has to get rid of the emails. He goes through to the computer and spends sometime trying to hide evidence. He goes outside and buries the item he bludgeoned her with in some woodland. Then he comes running back and decides he'll have to clean up some of the blood - this is way to much blood for her to have fallen down the stairs, even he can see that. But then he's trying to soak it up and there's just so much and he realises it's going to look dodgy if he tries to dispose of the blood soaked paper towels as he wouldn't that if he was trying to get her help. So he abandons the towels - realising he can't carry them anywhere, they'll just have to stay there. First he tries to clean his bloody foot prints up from where he's gone through to the laundry - he takes his shoes off. Christ, what a mess.

After what feels like only 10 minutes, but has probably been over an hour, he steels himself to make the call. He knows people must think he found her ALIVE. And so he calls...

"My wife... she's still breathing".

That's my take on it anyway.[/QUOTE

good point about that statement!! i missed it!

she had flexeril, valium, and alcohol in her system . thats quite a combo.
She was still within the legal alcohol drive limit - so she certainly hadn't had her share of the 'at least two' bottles of wine that Mike said they'd had. Also, I don't know what quantities of those medications she had in her. But booze wise, she was ok to drive.

Another detail I picked up on, which leads me to think the murder happened after supper and the film but before any of this drinking more wine and going to the pool stuff:

When Mike Peterson goes through their last movements in the first episode of The Staircase, he points at the sofa and explains how they'd watched a film which he'd rented from Blockbuster. Fine. American Sweethearts - irony not lost on me. But then he adds an interesting detail - He mentions they'd eaten supper in front of the film and then left the plates in front of the sofa. "We'll clean them up in the morning" he says (or similar, this is paraphrased.) Now it's only a small detail, but Kathleen doesn't strike me as the kind of person to leave dirty plates in front of the telly. Particularly not if she's gone into the kitchen to get wine and has been up for quite a few hours after. Leave them by the sink to wash in the morning - okay, fine. Particularly as THAT'S WHERE THE WINE GLASSES WERE but why just dump the plates when you were going back and forth towards the sink/dishwasher??

And why did Mike feel it necessary to add a detail about when they were going to wash up, in this description of a terribly important night? Why THAT detail? Surely, he mentioned this BECAUSE HE NEEDED TO EXPLAIN WHY THE PLATES WERE STILL IN THE SITTING ROOM. They were there, because the altercation happened before Kathleen or Mike had a chance to bring them through into the sitting room and in his attempt to stage the scene - getting the wine glasses out and pouring the wine down the sink HE FORGOT TO BRING THE PLATES THROUGH. That's why the detail was important to him.

Kathleen had a work call at 10.30am the next morning. Important enough that she had a preparation email coming through that evening. Would she have finished a film and THEN started on more wine and sat outside till the early morning? No. She'd have finished the film and said - "Right, I'll go check that email and then I'm off to bed." And it was checking that email that ended in her death.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back