MT MT - Paul Batson, 45, Stillwater Co, 29 Apr 2018

The promising news is that it sounds like Jackson was found by Bozeman LE after running away. He must have passed through many other towns and cities unnoticed and undiscovered until he hit Bozeman. So props to Bozeman LE.

Now maybe they can figure out where Paul is.

Thanks for your input and insight. Hopefully Paul will be found soon.

Working on a nefarious theory here...Paul could have met a new "friend." Friend says, "So, you're thinking about moving around here with your new job?" "Meet me at the Post Office." " I can show you some real estate, hop in my car and I'll show you around."

Best I can do right now. Thoughts & prayers with Paul & family.

Would moving to MT end his relationship w his GF? Why MT? Phone records for the past year must be examined, as I also hope he met someone and has started a new life. We need LE to verify the keys. We also must verify if he was acting abnormal in any way leading up to this trip.

Would moving to MT end his relationship w his GF? Why MT? Phone records for the past year must be examined, as I also hope he met someone and has started a new life. We need LE to verify the keys. We also must verify if he was acting abnormal in any way leading up to this trip.
Cell phone records (and financials) were examined and indicated nothing out-of-normal for Paul. LE disclosed this. His sister was interviewed and said "He had everything to live for. He has three kids who adore him. He could have retired in another five years. I mean he has a good life." That is the only interview by family, though LE has described them as 'diligent' and involved in the search.

If this is a case of self-harm, it sounds like it would come as a surprise to his family and friends, though his family is very private and has not spoken other than that single interview. The searches around Reed Point focused on travel by both land and water.

The Yellowstone is still dirty and too high for much recreational activity. I expect there will be people out floating and fishing in about 2 weeks, and of course the Yellowstone Boat Float is scheduled for July 13. I predict there will be another search for Paul before then.

This is just so sad! It's like he vanished into thin air without a trace.

Last I knew, the video from the camera at the gas station stopped just as his car pulled up, correct? That has always puzzled me- how convenient that it happened right at that time frame.

Something is adding up to me. I know folks commit suicide and it throws the poor family and friends for a loop, but it just seems like an odd place to go- no where near where he lived or near where any family and friends lived. No note, no texts before, nothing. That's why I am a bit hesitant to go in this direction.

This is just so sad! It's like he vanished into thin air without a trace.

Last I knew, the video from the camera at the gas station stopped just as his car pulled up, correct? That has always puzzled me- how convenient that it happened right at that time frame.

Something is adding up to me. I know folks commit suicide and it throws the poor family and friends for a loop, but it just seems like an odd place to go- no where near where he lived or near where any family and friends lived. No note, no texts before, nothing. That's why I am a bit hesitant to go in this direction.
Though ...
(and this is morbid so I apologize) if it was me thinking of an end to my own life, throwing myself into the mighty Yellowstone, or jumping off a cliff, or dousing myself in bacon grease and finding a grizzly bear would be just exactly the places my own mind would go. Has gone. And with a very recent well-publicized drowning suicide (Timothy Cunningham of Atlanta who drowned himself in the Chattahoochee River), I do think self-harm in Paul's case is a very real possibility. Except he seemed to have everything to live for and a wonderful life, from the outside. But depression doesn't recognize those 'wonderful life' and 'everything to look forward to' rules.

There are so many things we do not know. I still think it could have been some random accident. But what about the keys? If there were keys left? Nefarious human abduction and harm seem far less likely to me. But I have been wrong and not seen the very worst evil in my own family.

Going into every weekend my breath catches a little: will Paul be found before Monday? I do believe it is likely he is in the river and fear a family with children floating or fishing will find him. I am so sorry to Paul's friend's and family for anything hurtful I have said and for his continued absence.

49 days missing. Happy Father's Day, Paul, wherever you are.

Any chance this could still be Paul? Either that or likely they might find Paul while looking for someone else.
The river is so high right now it may well put searchers at risk.

ETA:
Stillwater County Search And Rescue
More information on this morning's activity around Reed Point and the search. It sounds like this is a different person, a young man. I am not sure if this is allowed per TOS, but many of the comments about this incident are coming from Illinois. What the heck is going on?

I have to believe if Paul did deliberately enter the Yellowstone River at Reed Point he must have done some kind of research -- on river flows or previous incidents. That could have been when he was at the library? Or before he left home? Which would leave tracks that could be found on a home or work computer. I hope for the investigation and his family this has been checked.

Last edited:
There are definitely some apparent Illinois and social media connections. I'm not going to say any more.

You are right, there aren't a lot of bridges but there are more access points to the river, mainly used for fishing and putting in or taking out rafts and boats. The bridges across the river aren't anything special and don't have much 'protection.' If you wanted to jump off any of them, there isn't really anything to stop you.

This is beyond awful. No one wants the Yellowstone River and Reed Point to become a destination for anything other than fishing and river floating.

Last edited:
I’m sorry if someone jumped in the Yellowstone. At the same time I’m angry. Most of the members of the search and rescue teams are volunteers and their lives are in danger given the conditions on the river. Prayers for the victim and all of the searchers.

I’m sorry if someone jumped in the Yellowstone. At the same time I’m angry. Most of the members of the search and rescue teams are volunteers and their lives are in danger given the conditions on the river. Prayers for the victim and all of the searchers.
Thank you Jazzy. I also find myself angry if people are jumping into the river deliberately. For the risks, stress, and cost to searchers, the lifetime of trauma to anyone (especially children) finding the jumper(s), pollution to a pristine water. Mostly of course the grief to family, friends, and loved ones left behind.

Steelslady, you asked why Paul would go so far away from his familiar geography, distancing himself from family and friends. I think it is a pretty natural inclination, to spare loved ones more pain. And if one is forever lost/missing maybe they will have some hope you are out there, living a wonderful life.

No news yet from the weekend search. No news about Paul.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back