Found Safe AL - Christiana Hagler, 1 Month, Mobile, 16 June 2018

What custody dispute do you mean Steels?

ETA: If you are talking about his charge of "interference with custody" anyone can be charged with that just by taking a child somewhere without permission/knowledge of the legal parent/guardian. It doesn't mean there was any dispute of who has legal custody of the baby.

» Alabama Code 13A-6-45. Interference with custodyLawServer
Thank you! I had no clue what that meant. I wasn't sure if there was a bio father involved and that he was interfering on behalf of the mother. I appreciate the clarification!

I didn't buy the whole "he's a stranger" thing right off the bat because people around here know (or should know) better than to pick up any stranger walking down the I-65 Service Roads, especially if you're a woman alone with your infant. The I-65 Service Roads are wrought with crime. The motels along them constantly have shootings (usually drugs are involved). They're rampant with prostitution, both in the motels and outside of them. The Walmart there along the Service Road (a little north of Burlington Coat Factory where this occurred) has to have at least one armed officer on duty at it at all times.

My husband and I literally refer to the parking lot and roads around Burlington Coat Factory as "The Badlands of Burlington" because there is always sketchy stuff going down around there.

Last edited:
Thank you! I had no clue what that meant. I wasn't sure if there was a bio father involved and that he was interfering on behalf of the mother. I appreciate the clarification!

No worries, I don't think you're the only one who was confused. A lot of people jumping to conclusions on facebook. The officer who did the presser explained the only reason for that charge instead of a more serious kidnapping charge is because she voluntarily handed her baby to him. The "interference with custody" charge is often used in cases where grown men run away with a teen girl-- that's why I'm aware of it, from other cases here.

I didn't buy the whole "he's a stranger" thing right off the bat because people around here know (or should know) better than to pick up any stranger walking down the I-65 Service Roads, especially if you're a woman alone with your infant. The I-65 Service Roads are wrought with crime. The motels along them constantly have shootings (usually drugs are involved). They're rampant with prostitution, both in the motels and outside of them. The Walmart there along the Service Road (a little north of Burlington Coat Factory where this occurred) has to have at least one armed officer on duty at it at all times.

My husband and I literally refer to the parking lot and roads around Burlington Coat Factory as "The Badlands of Burlington" because there is always sketchy stuff going down around there.

Interesting insight into the area, thanks. JMO, I think it's possible she "knew" him but didn't know his real name. Perhaps she didn't want to admit to police how she knew him because it may reveal illegal activity. JMO.

Interesting insight into the area, thanks. JMO, I think it's possible she "knew" him but didn't know his real name. Perhaps she didn't want to admit to police how she knew him because it may reveal illegal activity. JMO.
It looks like he has a picture of baby Christiana on his Facebook page. It's from a week or two ago and he's holding her affectionately. He even had it as his profile picture at one point. I think she knew his name. ;)

Here is the particular FB link- Alex Betancourt

It looks like he has a picture of baby Christiana on his Facebook page. It's from a week or two ago and he's holding her affectionately. I think she knew his name. ;)

Yes, I saw that. I still think she didn't want LE to know why/how she knew him for some reason. It will all come out eventually if there is more to this. JMO.

Yes, I saw that. I still think she didn't want LE to know why/how she knew him for some reason. It will all come out eventually if there is more to this. JMO.
Oh yes. Obviously there was a reason she acted as if he was a stranger. Either to protect him or to protect herself is my guess.

Like highway 99 here in Wa State.

Yeah, the timeline seems SUPER slim for him to possibly be biodad - but hey some guys are more easily convinced than others. I guess it's possible she could have went way overdue with the baby, but who knows at this point. I hope he took good care of this sweet baby girl while he had her and that mom gets some type of charge for lying to the police and obstructing justice.

Conception date would have been around July 30th.

How do we know the baby in the pic is Christiana? I think that baby looks older.

MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) -

UPDATE 12:30 PM SUNDAY
35-year-old John Betancourt has been arrested in connection to the Amber Alert issued for 7-week-old Christiana Hagler, according to Mobile Police. Betancourt has been charged with Interference with Custody.

Mobile Police say the child is in the custody of DHR

Yeah, she obviously knew him. I think he took the baby to safety because he knew she was shoplifting and figured she was going to jail. He wasn't charged with kidnapping. The police said in that interview, that he wasn't charged because the Mom gave him the baby, therefore he didn't kidnap her.

Oh what twisted web we weave when we practice to deceive. *I might not have that saying right, but sounded good to me. :D*

Quote by Walter Scott: “Oh, what a tangled web we weave...when first we...”

The source of my moniker. Lol.

Cpl.DuBose told FOX10 News "There was no previous connection that we established, regardless of what all the 'Facebook warriors' stated. She picked him up on the side of the road that morning as she stated."

MPD: Baby found safe, man arrested for taking her

I really don't know what to think of this. So a mother actually picks up a stranger on the road with an infant in the vehicle and goes shopping?

Where was he with the baby all this time? Was he just driving around wishing he would have gotten the mother's name? Ohkay, so he takes the infant out to the truck like mama asked him while she was being detained. He just gets out of jail, so he maybe doesn't want to stick around for the police so he goes for a little drive? Returns and sees many police cars and keeps on driving.

Talk about a bad day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back