CA CA - Christine Walters, 23, Arcata, 14 Nov 2008

There has been no mention of prescription medication usage by Christine. However, I found the following on the interaction of ayahuasca and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Interestingly enough, I discovered this in the September 12, 2016 New Yorker.

"Problems can also arise if someone takes ayahuasca...on top of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, a common class of antidepressants....The outcome can be disastrous: a condition called serotonin syndrome, which starts with shivering, diarrhea, hyperthermia, and palpitations and can progress to muscular rigidity, convulsions, and even death."

If those of you who wish to read the entire article, the link is The Drug of Choice for the Age of Kale

Could this account for Christine's condition when she showed up on that rural doorstep?

Anyone else get the feeling that Christine was too scared to go back to the center in Arcata to retriever her ID and cash? The only other explanation would be if she was extremely disoriented. I am not sure if a person would be so disoriented for days after the Ayahuaska experience that they would forget that they left their ID in the same stash spot they typically relied on (the center in Arcata).

Seems very odd that Christine was adamant that "they would be able to find her anywhere". Was there a huge network of people involved, a scene where people would work together to snatch and kill a young lady?

Also hard to understand is how Christine ended up at Thompson Hill. It suggests the possibility that this is also connected to College of the Redwoods. There is a good chance that her friends in Arcata were in contact with a student at the College of the Redwoods. Did everyone get in a vehicle and drive to south of Eureka while high on drugs? Not unheard of in that town, but certainly memorable if it went down that way. Where are her friends from that era? Were these people who Jennifer Wilmer or Karen Mitchell were associated with as well?

The third thing that stands out is that Christine was unfamiliar with Eureka and needed directions to the DMV according to the staff at the copy center. Christine disappeared in Eureka somewhere between the copy center and DMV in broad daylight. "Although it was the middle of the day and the DMV was less than one mile away, Walters never made it there, and indeed she has never been seen again."

Equally chilling is that Karen Mitchell disappeared in 1997 in broad daylight in Eureka.

What are the odds that Christine's killer spotted her out walking in Eureka? If they were driving around looking for her they would have to be searching all over Arcata and Eureka. Maybe higher odds if they were entrenched in an underground scene and there were lots of sets of eyes. Gangs or dangerous drug rings come to mind. Or perhaps the Green Life Revolution was not a good group of people. Arcata has an ecletic mix of people mingling at all times. Homeless folk and college kids alike share tokes and chats. This is no wonder that women die in mysterious circumstances (think Erin H.) with the open and trusting environment at HSU.

Mysterious Vanishings in Humboldt County, California | Mysterious Universe

i have been following a reddit thread this week, and it's about a "shrine" that was found in the woods by a hiker. there are photos pinned to the trees, and one is of a girl with long fire-red hair that looks like CLW. the thread is called "weird shrine in the woods" under r/UnsolvedMysteries, and i immediately thought of it when i saw a "missing" post about CLW on facebook today. it could very well be a hoax (the reddit thread), but the girl is strikingly similar to CLW. hope this is ok to post, (unsure about reddit, and didn't post a link), and please delete if it's not.

ETA: i had not read the first 3 pages of this thread when i posted, and had no idea this case involved possible "tea ceremonies." the "shrine" could very well be legit and could also belong to one of CLW's friends, as opposed to being anything nefarious. just wondering if anyone thinks it is her in the photo of the girl with red hair. (also interesting that some of the other girls missing had red hair.)

Last edited:
I had a quick look at that picture of the red-haired girl on Reddit.

I would say that girl is probably not Christine Walters. I don't see a big resemblance.

Great find swedeheart. I notice that some of the photos in the shrine look recently put there. From my perspective I see more of a resemblance with Sheila Franks to the lady in the top center photo, and not really so much similarities with Christine. That is all I can surmise. I am going to check out the remainder of that thread. Thanks for an insightful share!

Last edited:
Anyone else get the feeling that Christine was too scared to go back to the center in Arcata to retriever her ID and cash? The only other explanation would be if she was extremely disoriented. I am not sure if a person would be so disoriented for days after the Ayahuaska experience that they would forget that they left their ID in the same stash spot they typically relied on (the center in Arcata).

Seems very odd that Christine was adamant that "they would be able to find her anywhere". Was there a huge network of people involved, a scene where people would work together to snatch and kill a young lady?

Also hard to understand is how Christine ended up at Thompson Hill. It suggests the possibility that this is also connected to College of the Redwoods. There is a good chance that her friends in Arcata were in contact with a student at the College of the Redwoods. Did everyone get in a vehicle and drive to south of Eureka while high on drugs? Not unheard of in that town, but certainly memorable if it went down that way. Where are her friends from that era? Were these people who Jennifer Wilmer or Karen Mitchell were associated with as well?

The third thing that stands out is that Christine was unfamiliar with Eureka and needed directions to the DMV according to the staff at the copy center. Christine disappeared in Eureka somewhere between the copy center and DMV in broad daylight. "Although it was the middle of the day and the DMV was less than one mile away, Walters never made it there, and indeed she has never been seen again."

Equally chilling is that Karen Mitchell disappeared in 1997 in broad daylight in Eureka.

What are the odds that Christine's killer spotted her out walking in Eureka? If they were driving around looking for her they would have to be searching all over Arcata and Eureka. Maybe higher odds if they were entrenched in an underground scene and there were lots of sets of eyes. Gangs or dangerous drug rings come to mind. Or perhaps the Green Life Revolution was not a good group of people. Arcata has an ecletic mix of people mingling at all times. Homeless folk and college kids alike share tokes and chats. This is no wonder that women die in mysterious circumstances (think Erin H.) with the open and trusting environment at HSU.

Mysterious Vanishings in Humboldt County, California | Mysterious Universe
Yes for sure, she was too scared to go back to the cafe to get her stuff. I think she was disoriented, but then again she was able to get from the motel to the copy center so she was aware of her surroundings and her situation.
It doesn't seem likely that anyone from Arcata or the cafe would have known she was at the Red Lion Inn in Eureka. Although this is a relatively small area and I suppose word could get around. Reportedly the police took her from the hospital straight to the motel. Her parents had arranged for her to stay there until she could fly back home. She was there for 2 nights before going to the copy center. What was she doing for 2 days? Sleeping? How was she eating? What was she saying to her family, I am sure they must have been communicating with her to make sure she was ok.
I think it's possible she has been absorbed into the homeless population, but I think it's also possible she went into the water and has never turned up.

Ohhhh beautiful sweetie, there was so much for you in store.....the drugs must have "taken her in", call it a bad trip whatever....getting paranoid/ into a psychosis/even acute schizophrenic behavior.....she had the "right" age for developing this. although it's more common in males, one of the symptoms is that you think somebody is after you, and maybe this was true..but it could also exist in her mind. There are people who try Ayahuasca or LSD but it should be taken under strict controlled environment/trustful people around/a safe surrounding/peaceful....I'm scared for it, so I will never try...What I read and heard it's not something like "Hé, lets do......" Reminds me of the strange case of another missing girl, going totally mad before she went missing.

So sad for her....there was nobody who took care of her really...how lonely she must have felt....seeing everything faded away.....loosing it. She must have been scared...so scared.... and if it wasn't the drugs....go to hell whoever did something to this lovely girl. May bad Karma follow you along the way.

Thinking about Christine today. Where could she have gone?
Last seen at the copy center in Eureka wearing pj’s and crocs looking disheveled.
Never made it to the DMV, bank account not touched.
Where would someone go if they were frightened and thought people were after them? Would they go into the woods to hide? Hitchhike out of the area? Join a homeless camp?
I feel like her case needs a spotlight in the area again. Flyers, a billboard, canvassing the homeless, something. Maybe she never left and is just living off the grid with people who don’t know she is a missing person.

What isn't clear to me is the transportation home, was someone picking her up as alleged or were travel arrangements made or was the $1000.00 for her to make her own arrangement or was it for her to comfortably stay put? The area the Red Lion is located is one of the least safe options between St Joe's and the Humboldt County Jail. The only reason I could see it being ideal is because of the proximity to the transit system and the larger greyhound depot nearby.

In November 2008, Christine Walters, a 23-year-old Wisconsin native, vanished shortly after walking out of a copy store in Eureka. Just one week earlier, she was found bloodied and bruised on a doorstep, begging the residents to bring her to a hospital for help, according to her missing poster. She was a junior at the University of Wisconsin at Stevens Point, where she studied both botany and ethnobotany. She also taught Pilates and yoga, according to the Charley Project. She was visiting friends in the area and while and had become interested in spirituality and environmental causes.
Who Are 'The Humboldt Five,' Women Who Vanished While In Northern California? | Oxygen Official Site

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unresolved...e_disappearance_of_christine_lindsay_walters/

This is a several year old thread about Christine from the unresolved mysteries subreddit. The top comment is very interesting. The poster talks about how they believed they lived with Christine for a short period of time while squatting in early 2009, in Eureka. The man in charge seemed very controlling of her and she mysteriously disappeared. However the person who wrote the post never came back to explain more or whether if they contacted the authorities. It could be someone making up a story, or maybe they realized they got her confused with someone else, or mixed the time up? Or weren’t 100% sure so ended up not contacting authorities? I find it hard to believe if she was in a situation where she was being controlled by someone, that they’d stick around Eureka while people were searching for her. But if this is true that points to someone being involved in her disappearance, and this wasn’t due to an accident from drug induced paranoia.

I also wonder about the gap in time between the tea ceremony and when she showed up on someone’s doorstep. Is it known what her behavior was like in the time between? I haven’t seen any info on what she was doing in that gap of time between. Maybe no one knows? It seems like her disappearance is linked to the tea ceremony and her paranoia either caused her to get lost or have an accident, but if she otherwise seemed normal afterwards that would indicate the tea ceremony was a red herring and someone really was after her IMO. Though I’m no expert, so I’m not sure how soon it takes for someone to have bad side effects from the drugs used in the tea ceremony.

Hi,
I've joined up to post about this. I'm an ex statistician who has recently become interested in missing persons cases, and when I read about this and studied the maps one thing really stood out to me.

To get from the copy shop Christine was at to the DMV in Eureka, California is meant to be quite simple - you go down I street and when you get to Harris Street turn right and go approx 24-26 blocks and there you are. However, we know Christine was not her normal self, frightened and panicked. If Christine got to Harris street and turned left instead of right and counted the blocks, it puts her pretty much at the entrance to McKay Community Forest which leads to Ryan Creek Community forest. I know when I have been frightened etc I have put my head down, not interacted with anyone and simply walked or counted streets. She may have been scared to ask for confirmation that she was going the right way. We also know she was not in her normal mental state and was maybe a bit altered which could lead to confusion.

We know that Christine liked walking in national parks and there is a big sign at the front of this park (as per Google street view) - it is very obvious, wooded and shady. My question is has this park been searched? Could she have gotten there and gone for a walk, or bolted in seeing it as a safe refuge?

Unfortunately, this park leads out to what looks like quite a vast wilderness.

I hesitate to say this but in this case also I would personally not completely rule out foul play due to a number of factors.

In my past career I devoted my time to analysing patterns and a few things have stayed with me after watching approximately 40 episodes of Disappeared. I will make a separate post about this but I will say that I think there are average to very strong patterns in these cases (which no doubt you are all aware of and have seen!) depending on several factors (I would say gender is actually the biggest one, then an array of other factors). Further to that, Ayahuasca can be incredibly unsettling for some people. If Christine was male and we had found a vehicle I would be more strongly leaning to this conclusion but I still think it is worth searching the park. Unfortunately I do know how incredibly hard it is to search.

Just my thoughts. Has anyone else wondered about this? It really stood out to me. I also want to say I hope I don't cause any disrespect by posting this and if I do I will take it down. I really hope that they find Christine.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back