NY NY - NY, 125th St station, WhtMale 60-80, UP7958, tatts: eagle, chief, military/patriotic, Mar'93

Coffee56

Reaction score
60 to 80 year old White Male

Date found March 13, 1993
​New York County, New York
​Circumstances:
Unknown white male was witnessed to collapse on a northbound A train at the 125th street station.
Tattoo of an eagle on right forearm, tattoo of Native American chief on upper right arm, two multicolored tattoos on left arm, depicting military designs with stars and "1948"and "1949" "Jack" "Good.....For......"

http://www.veterandoe.com/unidentified

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/7958

Photos of tattoos and additional info at links

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went ahead and cleaned up this UID's tattoos.
attachment.php

I don't know where they get "military" from, although he probably was of age to be drafted during and after WW2.
These tattoos, strike me as patriotic rather than military. Both of these were from 1949, probably done cheaply in a foreign country due to the "Good Luck For Ever" instead of "Forever", the horse shoe letting the luck run out because of its position, and that the 9's are curled at the bottom.
If these are his first tattoos, along with the eagle and the Native American chief (same tattoo artist), then I'd say he might have been around 18 years old in a foreign country for the first time in 1949. That would make "Jack" or John around 63 years old when he passed away.
Hope it helps.

Attachments

• namus 7958 retouch.jpg
    namus 7958 retouch.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 514
attachment.php

I don't know where they get "military" from, although he probably was of age to be drafted during and after WW2.
These tattoos, strike me as patriotic rather than military. Both of these were from 1949, probably done cheaply in a foreign country due to the "Good Luck For Ever" instead of "Forever", the horse shoe letting the luck run out because of its position, and that the 9's are curled at the bottom.
If these are his first tattoos, along with the eagle and the Native American chief (same tattoo artist), then I'd say he might have been around 18 years old in a foreign country for the first time in 1949. That would make "Jack" or John around 63 years old when he passed away.
Hope it helps.

Thanks for cleaning those up. They do look more patriotic than military.

attachment.php

Hope it helps.
Awesome clean up, thank you!

So I showed these to my Army vet hubby and he thinks they are military. Possibly done in South east Asia. The horse and horse shoe possibly represent a cavalry unit.

The other is a representation of the Great Seal and possibly a memorial tattoo for a buddy named Jack (so not necessarily the UPs name).
The stars above the eagle possibly represent the rank of the individual.

Interesting fact about the eagle, from about 1870 until 1945, the eagles head was depicted to the left towards the held arrows (like our UPs tat). In 1945, President Truman had it changed to the right to depict it facing the olive branch to signify that the U.S. looked towards peace.

JMO, but I do think this gentleman is a veteran. Maybe it would be possible to contact the local VA and DAV offices and maybe a rep would recognize the tats?

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Awesome clean up, thank you!

So I showed these to my Army vet hubby and he thinks they are military. Possibly done in South east Asia. The horse and horse shoe possibly represent a cavalry unit.

The other is a representation of the Great Seal and possibly a memorial tattoo for a buddy named Jack (so not necessarily the UPs name).
The stars above the eagle possibly represent the rank of the individual.

Interesting fact about the eagle, from about 1870 until 1945, the eagles head was depicted to the left towards the held arrows (like our UPs tat). In 1945, President Truman had it changed to the right to depict it facing the olive branch to signify that the U.S. looked towards peace.

JMO, but I do think this gentleman is a veteran. Maybe it would be possible to contact the local VA and DAV offices and maybe a rep would recognize the tats?

Great info. Thank you.

He seems to be in a major travel hub in the middle of a major storm on a Saturday morning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlem%E2%80%93125th_Street_station

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/tacur.pdf

Saturday Service
A Northbound
From Far Rockaway/Lefferts Blvd, Queens, to 207 St, Manhattan

Hmmm.... I'm wondering why he bothered to travel. No power at home so he's going somewhere else? Saturday doctors appt.? He has sneakers on during a blizzard so I wouldn't assume he planned on being out in the elements long.

He seems to be in a major travel hub in the middle of a major storm on a Saturday morning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlem–125th_Street_station

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/tacur.pdf

Saturday Service
A Northbound
From Far Rockaway/Lefferts Blvd, Queens, to 207 St, Manhattan

Hmmm.... I'm wondering why he bothered to travel. No power at home so he's going somewhere else? Saturday doctors appt.? He has sneakers on during a blizzard so I wouldn't assume he planned on being out in the elements long.

Awesome information coming forward from you all. Thanks!

It's interesting that only 2 blocks east from the 125th St. station where he collapsed, is the VA Harlem Community Clinic. Was he going to or coming home from a visit to the clinic? If he was going home, it certainly narrows down the number of neighborhoods he could've lived in.

Did they not do fingerprinting in the military back then?? If he was a veteran, wouldn't his fingerprints have been on file?? Just thinking of avenues to take ...

though NAMUS says fingerprints unavailable ...

Did they not do fingerprinting in the military back then?? If he was a veteran, wouldn't his fingerprints have been on file?? Just thinking of avenues to take ...

though NAMUS says fingerprints unavailable ...

There is a really good article from the Veteran Doe website which explains the whole situation with fingerprints and the military.
http://www.veterandoe.com/fingerprints.html

Highly informative, thank you!

Thank you Tabirey!

I was wondering why this UID doesn't have a post mortem photo or at least a sketch associated with his Namus page? He'd be recognizable, since he collapsed on a train.

And how would you go about asking for a post mortem or recreation being made public on Namus?

Wow great Job on this post and the tattoos and all other info coffeeandacig!!!! I also don't understand why not even a scketch of this guy. I wonder if there is a postmortem on file but they just never put it up.

Unidentified Person Case

Scar/mark
2" scar on right shin just below knee, .5" scar on left lower forearm

Clothing
coat with a hood, flannel shirt, belt, socks, chino-type pants
On the Body

Footwear
"Reebok" sneakers

Eye Description brown/green
Hair Color White
Head Hair Description 1", straight

Height 5' 9"(69 inches) , Measured
Weight170 lbs, Measured

Unknown white male was witnessed to collapse on a northbound A train at the 125th street station.

attachment.php

Hope it helps.

A wonderful job! Thank you!

Thanks for all the compliments on the clean up! There's been some great posters with really valuable information!
Like them, my heart goes out to all the military, especially someone who could've served in the Korean War.

Is there anyone here who has a contact, or has ever contacted the NYPD for a PM photo of an Unidentified person before? I'd like to know if it's possible to get it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back