Found Safe AL - Christiana Hagler, 1 Month, Mobile, 16 June 2018

So thankful she was found safe!!

I just can’t believe there isn’t more to the story. Picking up a gigantic rough looking stranger was a horrible idea on its own. Worse with your child there. Inconceivable to hand him you baby and the keys to your vehicle.

I was just wondering where the link went and speculated they may have been acquaintances. I wasn’t implying to excuse her behavior based on how well she knew him AT ALL.

I know you weren't, and neither am I. I was just saying that the text that was previously there had been removed since I made the post. That WKRG removed it makes me think maybe they did misinterpret the statement and that maybe she didn't know Betancourt previously, and therefore didn't lie to LE about him being a stranger. Either way she made a stupid decision to hand her baby over to him, and she's so lucky the baby didn't come to harm!

No charges against “ mom” yet? I hope that changes. SHE handed the baby off to him. I see no reason why he should be charged and not her.

Yeah, I'm not understanding that either. From what has been reported, he acted with at least some degree of responsibility toward her child. Neither one is getting a prize for good judgment, but I mean, mom's getting arrested, she hands him the keys and the baby. Either she gave her baby to someone she never saw before in which case she should be charged, or she gave her baby to someone she did know (and the implication of giving him the baby is that he is to take care of it) so why is he the one in trouble?

WKRG's website still has a statement indicating they knew each other.

BREAKING: Suspect arrested in connection to Amber Alert for 7-week old girl
At the link it states this:
UPDATE 11:56 AM MONDAY:

Mobile Police tell WKRG News 5 that at this time the mother of Christiana Hagler is not being charged in the case. But, the baby remains in state custody. Police also maintain that the mother and the suspect did not know each other.

MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) - UPDATE: TUESDAY 9:16 AM

John Betancourt was denied bond Tuesday morning for interference with custody charges because he may have violated his probation on previous charge. He'll back in court Monday June 25 for arraignment.
BREAKING: No bond for Amber Alert suspect

This whole story is just stinky hinky. I don't think this guy is getting a fair shot here...mom handed him the baby and the car keys...she was wrong. He didn't hurt the baby...I am curious where exactly he was between the time he walked out of the store and when they were "found," but I guess I just don't understand why he's being charged. There has to be more we're not hearing...like did she call him or text him to return and he refused? Did she specify not to leave the parking lot and he did anyway? Mom put her child in a potentially dangerous situation, not him...I wonder if these charges will stick or if they will fade when the story does?

This whole story is just stinky hinky. I don't think this guy is getting a fair shot here...mom handed him the baby and the car keys...she was wrong. He didn't hurt the baby...I am curious where exactly he was between the time he walked out of the store and when they were "found," but I guess I just don't understand why he's being charged. There has to be more we're not hearing...like did she call him or text him to return and he refused? Did she specify not to leave the parking lot and he did anyway? Mom put her child in a potentially dangerous situation, not him...I wonder if these charges will stick or if they will fade when the story does?

I’m right there with you.

I'm shocked that they really didn't know each other. The fact that the mom was telling the truth about that (from what I'm seeing from the media/news) just makes it even wilder, because why would you ACTUALLY pick up a stranger in that area and then go on a shoplifting spree with them and your infant?! It seemed so unlikely to me because it just doesn't seem like something someone would actually do. I don't know why I still allow myself to be surprised by some people's behavior.

I'm shocked that they really didn't know each other. The fact that the mom was telling the truth about that (from what I'm seeing from the media/news) just makes it even wilder, because why would you ACTUALLY pick up a stranger in that area and then go on a shoplifting spree with them and your infant?! It seemed so unlikely to me because it just doesn't seem like something someone would actually do. I don't know why I still allow myself to be surprised by some people's behavior.
The only explanation I can come up with is drugs.

No charges against “ mom” yet? I hope that changes. SHE handed the baby off to him. I see no reason why he should be charged and not her.
"The baby is safe and in the custody of DHR. Betancourt is charged with felony interfering with custody.

The baby's mother is not being charged. Police said although it's bad parenting, there is no crime against willingly handing your child to a stranger."

New details after man allegedly takes off with newborn baby

17000512_G.jpeg

Yep hand a baby over to him! At least the baby is with DHS before she hands her off to another outstanding citizen!

I agree .. maybe this guy (stranger or not) was confused as to what to do!! He was probably scared of being involved in something since he was on probation. He could have waited and handed her to police, etc.. He just did as he was told and took off, didn't harm the baby (I really don't think he would have hurt her at all anyway) and went to a house, correct? Didn't law enforcement go door to door and found him at a residence? I might have missed the details on that ..

I agree .. maybe this guy (stranger or not) was confused as to what to do!! He was probably scared of being involved in something since he was on probation. He could have waited and handed her to police, etc.. He just did as he was told and took off, didn't harm the baby (I really don't think he would have hurt her at all anyway) and went to a house, correct? Didn't law enforcement go door to door and found him at a residence? I might have missed the details on that ..
Yes, one of the articles posted on this thread states that the vehicle in question was spotted at an apartment complex on Old P(something) Rd. and they went door to door until they found him and the baby. I'd like to know if he was caring for the baby or if someone else was with him helping?
And I'm pretty infuriated that this waste of space mother isn't being charged with child endangerment. Since when is getting caught shoplifting and giving a stranger your child and car keys to take off in, NOT child endangerment?

I hope his charges are dropped and the baby goes to a loving home.

This is one of the reasons I wish forced sterilization was a thing. Grrr. So much more to say, but don't want to offend TOS.

Bond set at $3,000 for man accused of taking baby

Bond has been set at $3,000 for 35-year-old John Alexander Betancourt who has been charged with felony interference with custody. Bond was originally denied in this case.
[...]
According to Betancourt's court appointed attorney Habib Yazdi, Betancourt did not know the mother of the child and according to his client, he was asked to take care of the baby while the mother was detained at Burlington Coat Factory.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back