GUILTY NY - Anna Delvey, aka Anna Sorokin, Fake German Heiress Scammed $275K from Banks, Hotels, Friends

PastTense

Reaction score
Worse for wear: Serial con artist, 26, and wannabe socialite who posed as a German heiress appears in court looking disheveled after she 'stole $275,000 for personal training sessions and hotel stays'

While pretending to be a socialite, Anna Sorokin, 26, allegedly scammed banks, friends and hotels out of $275,000. Sorokin is said to have claimed to be a wealthy German heiress during a quest to con a bank for a $22million loan to open up a private club. She also allegedly walked out on a $11,500 downtown Manhattan hotel bill
Sorokin was tracked down to a Malibu rehab facilicity and extradited to New York where she was arraigned on charges including grand larceny...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ialite-scammed-275k-hotels-banks-friends.html

She walked into my life in Gucci sandals and Céline glasses, and showed me a glamorous, frictionless world of hotel living and Le Coucou dinners and infrared saunas and Moroccan vacations. And then she made my $62,000 disappear.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/04/my-misadventure-with-the-magician-of-manhattan

t-My-Friend-Anna-Rachel-Williams.jpg

Reads like a novel! A modern day grifter...

Maybe She Had So Much Money She Just Lost Track of It

Somebody had to foot the bill for Anna Delvey’s fabulous new life. The city was full of marks.
By Jessica Pressler

...."She was frustrated with the New York Post’s characterization of her as a “wannabe socialite” — “I was never trying to be a socialite,” she pointed out. “I had dinners, but they were work dinners. I wanted to be taken seriously” — and the District Attorney’s portrayal of her as, as Anna put it, “a greedy idiot” who had committed a kind of harebrained Ponzi scheme in order to go shopping. “If I really wanted the money, I would have better and faster ways to get some,” she groused. “Resilience is hard to come by, but not capital.”....

How an Aspiring ‘It’ Girl Tricked New York’s Party People — and Its Banks

comments section just as interesting...

Last edited:
Judge says 'remorseless' faux German heiress who posed as billionaire's daughter to swindle $275,000 in bank loans, luxury trips and hotel stays is more concerned with 'who will play her in movie' than with her victims
PUBLISHED: 14:20 EDT, 19 June 2018 | UPDATED: 17:23 EDT, 19 June 2018

Anna Sorokin, 27, appeared in court in Manhattan on Tuesday on grand larceny charges. She was prepared to take a plea deal which would have seen her go to jail but only if it meant she would spend three years behind bars at most.

A judge rejected her proposed deal of a sentence of one to three years imprisonment, offering her a deal of between three and nine years at most which she turned down.

Sorokin now faces 15 years in jail if convicted on all counts.

Faux German heiress turns down plea deal and will go to trial | Daily Mail Online

4D6A330300000578-5862211-image-m-3_1529432085689.jpg

Fake heiress Anna Sorokin looks disheveled as she appears in New York court | Daily Mail Online

A fake socialite who posed as a German billionaire heiress has appeared in a New York court looking disheveled as she prepares to face trial on charges of defrauding hotels, banks and friends out of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Anna Sorokin, also known as her alias Anna Delvey, appeared briefly in Manhattan Supreme Court on Monday.

The 27-year-old was dressed in her beige prison sweats and let her hair fall over her face as she sat next to her lawyer during the hearing with her hands cuffed behind her back.

Her trial was scheduled to start Monday but her attorney and prosecutors spoke with the judge about upcoming dates and agreed for jury selection to occur on March 20.

[...]

upload_2019-2-26_1-45-30.jpegupload_2019-2-26_1-45-47.jpegupload_2019-2-26_1-46-13.jpegupload_2019-2-26_1-47-39.jpeg

Socialite scammer, 28, will be deported back to Germany REGARDLESS of conviction | Daily Mail Online
  • Anna Delvey, a 28-year-old whose real name is Anna Sorokin, is said to have overstayed her visa in the United States
  • 'ICE is requesting that we be notified prior to her release from local custody so she can be taken into ICE custody,' a representative said
  • Sorokin posed as Anna Delvey, the heiress daughter of a fictitious billionaire Russian magnate and used the persona to dupe elite circles until January 2017
  • The German citizen came to the US under the Visa Waiver Program on June 7, 2017, but didn't leave the country in the appropriate time
  • The program allows citizens from 38 countries to visit the United States without a visa for a maximum of 90 days
  • Sorokin was arrested in October 2017 and charged with 10 counts of larceny
[...]

Fake German billionaire heiress 'tried to get $22 million loan to open a private arts club' | Daily Mail Online
  • Anna Sorokin, 28, posed as a wealthy heiress to secure a loan, prosecutors say
  • A bank official testified Thursday about Sorokin's attempt to get a $22m loan, saying she spoke the ‘language’ of finance
  • Official said the financial statements Sorokin provided in support 'didn't add up'
  • The bank denied the $22 million loan request but did agree to lend her $100,000
  • Prosecutors say she left a significant paper-trail in her bid to defraud banks
  • Sorokin turned heads on the first day her trial on Wednesday when she showed up to court in a sleek, low cut black dress and choker
  • She has a courtroom stylist dressing her in top designer labels
upload_2019-3-29_1-32-3.jpeg

She has a courtroom stylist dressing her in top designer labels

Ya'll know I'm big on dressing appropriately -- and I think this is a mistake. Girl-next-door might result in a shorter sentence/lower fines? Sounds as if she's continueing the pattern &/or flaunting it?

And who is paying???

YMMV JMHO

Fake German heiress refuses to appear in court 'because she does not have the right clothes' | Daily Mail Online
  • Anna Sorokin, 28, refused to enter court because her clothes were 'dirty and unpressed'
  • She did not want to come into the courtroom in front of cameras in prison clothes
  • The judge insisted and Sorokin entered then cried in front of her before changing
  • She reappeared in a crumpled white blouse and black pants but was happier
  • The 28-year-old is on trial for fraud for allegedly lying to obtain loans
  • She told socialites, bankers and hotels she was German heiress Anna Delvey
  • Sorokin's lawyer has a courtroom stylist dressing her in top designer labels
  • Anastasia Walker, the stylist, said the look they were going for was 'mysterious chic'
  • She said she spoke with Anna over the phone and agreed on 'timeless pieces' after being put in touch by a mutual friend
  • She will not reveal who is footing the bill for her services or what the arrangement is

upload_2019-3-30_1-23-24.jpegupload_2019-3-30_1-23-35.jpegupload_2019-3-30_1-23-48.jpeg

'Fake it until you make it': the strange case of New York's socialite scammer

Judge Diane Kiesel could barely conceal her irritation. Anna Sorokin, the defendant at the centre of a highly publicized art world extortion trial, was refusing to attend proceedings on account of dissatisfaction with her courtroom outfit.

“This is a trial,” Kiesel told Sorkin’s lawyer, Todd Spodek. “She’s a defendant. I’m sorry, her clothing is not up to her standards. Are you asking me to stop this trial because of her wardrobe?”

[...]

“She walked into my life in Gucci sandals and Céline glasses,” wrote Rachel DeLoache Williams, “and showed me a glamorous, frictionless world of hotel living and Le Coucou dinners and infrared saunas and Moroccan vacations. And then she made my $62,000 disappear.”

[...]

According to the New York Post, “Anna Delvey” also tried to scam “the ultimate con man”, Billy McFarland, who is now jailed in connection with the notorious Fyre festival.

Not surprisingly, her story has gained the attention of filmmakers. Shonda Rhimes, the force behind Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal, has announced she is creating a TV series about Sorokin. Jennifer Lawrence and Margot Robbie have reportedly expressed interest in the lead in a film based on the Vanity Fair story. Sorokin, who has pleaded not guilty, is reportedly interested in seeing her life on the screen.

[...]

In opening remarks last week, Spodek attempted to present his client like anyone else who comes to New York to make it. He cited a Sinatra anthem, New York, New York, saying the idea of “making a brand new start of it” here “resonates with people all over the world”.

“There’s a little bit of Anna in everyone,” he said. “Everyone lies a little.”

He framed her crimes as “chutzpah” and “moxie”, arguing that the accepted rule of New York’s elite social scene was “fake it until you make it”. He also blamed the influence of social media-obsessed culture.

“Any millennial will tell you,” he said, “it is not uncommon to have delusions of grandeur.”

[...]

Fake German heiress laughs with her attorney during her fraud trial | Daily Mail Online

upload_2019-4-2_11-25-58.jpeg
  • Anna Sorokin, 28, is currently on trial in New York for allegedly duping elite circles and bilking friends, banks and hotels to the tune of $275,000
  • Her attorney told jurors on Monday that a married banker at the Fortress private equity fund sent her 158 flirty texts when she was trying to secure a loan
  • Her $22 million loan application was rejected in 2017 when she couldn't produce proof of her $67 million fortune
  • Her attorney brought up the flirty texts when he was questioning the banker's boss at the time Spencer Garfield
  • Another banker testified last week that Sorokin seemed to 'speak the language' of the financial world during her attempt to obtain a multimillion-dollar loan

Fake German heiress delays court AGAIN in tantrum over wardrobe | Daily Mail Online
  • Anna Sorokin, 27, refused to enter the courtroom on Wednesday morning
  • It was the second time her fraud trial was delayed over drama with her clothes
  • The judge warned her lawyer: 'This is the last day we're playing with clothes'
  • Sorokin is accused of defrauding bankers by claiming she was Anna Delvey, a German heiress with a huge fortune
  • She allegedly swindled them out of $22million with her lies and also conned friends and socialites
  • Her trial has heard how one banker she approached sent her explicit text messages afterwards
  • As part of her defense, she has enlisted celebrity stylist Anastasia Walker
  • Walker said she wanted to create a 'mysterious chic' air to the defendant
upload_2019-4-3_19-55-15.jpegupload_2019-4-3_19-55-37.jpeg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member