FL - Jennifer Kesse, 24, Orlando, 24 Jan 2006 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Transcript from Criminal Profiler Pat Brown on HLN 12/24/08.

“Well I think we’ve got someone who is very cool, calm and collected, someone who has committed a crime before, sounds to me like a serial Predator.

I would guess that Jennifer’s apartment complex was ground zero because that’s where she got missing out of. How he got in there, was he working at the complex, was he visiting somebody or was he right outside the front of the complex I don’t know.

My guess is he was armed which is what made him easier to
control her without leaving any you know blood in the car or anything like that. Taking her someplace doing what he wanted , probably getting her out of the vehicle to do it and then taking the vehicle back.

Now this guy probably doesn’t have a car of his own which is why he is grabbing vehicles and not using his own car to abduct somebody. So he grabs this woman with a vehicle and then when he’s finished he decides he’s going to
first of all has to return to where he lives because he doesn’t want to have a long walk back.

So he’s a local fellow, brings that car back to a complex he knows very well (HOTG), has all kinds of squirrely people in it, parks it carefully, looks for his window of opportunity for nobody to be around to watch him and gets up and walks away.

The valuables, my guess is that he probably wanted somebody to break into the car, take the car, do something with it, leave other evidence and then he’s “scott free”.
I notice how she skirts the most important issue, though. What method did the perpetrator use to lure Jennifer Kesse?

Her very first statement indicates to me that Pat believed "someone" targeted Jennifer. But why? Why target Jennifer Kesse?

The true answers to these questions should begin the unraveling.

Also, at another point in her interview, Pat says "he grabs this woman with a vehicle". To me, this isn't congruent with targeting a victim.

This interview was done in 2008, and we know now that for all intents and purposes there was no security at Jennifer's complex. Virtually anyone could have walked right up to her condo door and rang the bell.

It's a good guess to suggest he was armed.

As far as taking her someplace and doing what he wanted, we have to consider that it wasn't far because of the level of gas left in her tank. Plus the 11 pings seem to happen very fast--as if they remain in a close radius--and then that's it, the phones die.

I agree that he was probably a "local fellow"; and that he probably knew the HOG very well.

It's strange about the DVD player not being stolen--the car remained undisturbed from noon on the 24th until a little past 8:10 am on the 26th. So, around 44 hours in that neighborhood. It almost seems as if it was somehow under a veil of protection.

Anyway, just a few of my thoughts. Right or wrong.

I notice how she skirts the most important issue, though. What method did the perpetrator use to lure Jennifer Kesse?

Her very first statement indicates to me that Pat believed "someone" targeted Jennifer. But why? Why target Jennifer Kesse?

The true answers to these questions should begin the unraveling.

Also, at another point in her interview, Pat says "he grabs this woman with a vehicle". To me, this isn't congruent with targeting a victim.

This interview was done in 2008, and we know now that for all intents and purposes there was no security at Jennifer's complex. Virtually anyone could have walked right up to her condo door and rang the bell.

It's a good guess to suggest he was armed.

As far as taking her someplace and doing what he wanted, we have to consider that it wasn't far because of the level of gas left in her tank. Plus the 11 pings seem to happen very fast--as if they remain in a close radius--and then that's it, the phones die.

I agree that he was probably a "local fellow"; and that he probably knew the HOG very well.

It's strange about the DVD player not being stolen--the car remained undisturbed from noon on the 24th until a little past 8:10 am on the 26th. So, around 44 hours in that neighborhood. It almost seems as if it was somehow under a veil of protection.

Anyway, just a few of my thoughts. Right or wrong.

"Why target Jennifer Kesse" ? If this was a sex crime, because she was in that location ( Mosaic) would be my guess. Someone (s) had been watching her, probably fantasizing about her. Especially if they lived there. They may have taken her into an empty apartment there when they grabbed her.

It could be as you say.

However, Mr. Kesse has said there were other young women in that complex who suffered even more harassment from the "workers" than Jennifer. Not a single one of them ever "vanished".

Jennifer lived a careful lifestyle. She even paid attention to who was walking behind her in a shopping mall on a Saturday afternoon. How many people do that? But Jennifer Kesse did.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but most "serial predators" are only interested in the rush a crime of violence brings them. They fantasize forcing themselves on, and hurting and torturing a human being. When the urge comes, they often drive around an area looking for preferably a petite woman who is alone--simply because they are easiest to overcome.

Most sexual predators usually discard their victims wherever they are when their disgusting desire is sated. (And statistics show that most victims are found within a 20-mile radius of where they were last seen).

Pat's seemingly alternate theory that "a guy, probably with a gun, grabs a girl with a car 'cause he doesn't have one" doesn't quite fit for me, either. What would make Jennifer Kesse leave the safety of her condo and travel somewhere until happenstance allowed her to cross paths with a guy looking to grab a girl with a car?

It just doesn't fit for me and it never will. If it turns out that's the way it happened then I'll have to swallow it, but until then I will never believe it.

So, at least for now, I will continue to ask: What method did the perpetrator use to lure Jennifer Kesse?

And: Why target Jennifer Kesse?

Most of the questions asked will probably never have answers that satisfy us(or any answers at all). Twelve years is a long time. Was Jennifer the kind of young woman who stood up for herself ? Because harassing and catcalling a condo resident and owner was way over the line. It's not like walking past a construction site and having that happen. She owned a home there and lived there. And so did some of the guys who worked there. Would Jennifer have complained to the condo management ?

Do we think LE arr holding any details back re the boot of the car ? Also the dirt and mud on the vehicle.
Well, it at least looks like they are holding back some details; such as the time the last call ended, and where exactly in the vehicle the fiber containing DNA, as well as the partial print, were found.

So why not other things?

Last edited:
Her parents advised her to complain to management "the next time it happened". They never confirmed if she did, or did not.

If they had confirmation Jennifer officially reported such, I think they would have shared that.

Her parents advised her to complain to management "the next time it happened". They never confirmed if she did, or did not.

If they had confirmation Jennifer officially reported such, I think they would have shared that.
Thanks, Truth. I suppose that could have been a detail LE told them not to discuss. IDK.
Is LE now of the opinion that Jennifer was abducted on her way to work ?

I saw a quote / news article here from an OPD that seemed to be open as to what may have happened, details on the POI such as their height, etc. They don't seem too tied to those 2006 statements, nor willing to make any others.

Not to be cynical, especially given that for years OPD claimed it was the FBI's case, and the FBI claimed it was OPD's case, but they have made the minimal necessary noises to deny releasing info to Jennifer's family for private investigators to pursue, and that includes that they are taking a fresh look at it, yada yada. YMMV

I saw a quote / news article here from an OPD that seemed to be open as to what may have happened, details on the POI such as their height, etc. They don't seem too tied to those 2006 statements, nor willing to make any others.

Not to be cynical, especially given that for years OPD claimed it was the FBI's case, and the FBI claimed it was OPD's case, but they have made the minimal necessary noises to deny releasing info to Jennifer's family for private investigators to pursue, and that includes that they are taking a fresh look at it, yada yada. YMMV

I hear you. Even at this late date a skilled PI might be able to do something. Awful that LE won't turn over the case file.

If , it was a worker/workers , would LE be as circumspect after all this time ?
Are they looking at a known individual instead , but can’t prove it?

Or , they have nothing..

Or , they have nothing..
IDK, but they seem circumspect about every single thing with this case. jmo

Wouldn't we be naive to think law enforcement are tied to their statements?

Right now, I think they find it more interesting to watch what the Kesse's are doing, saying, and releasing.

Where we do seem to agree, though, is that LE is making only the "minimal necessary noises".

YMMV? Perfect--had to Google. LOL

Or , they have nothing..
I think they have enough that they could fill in some of the gaps we have, but I don't think they have enough to focus on one individual.

May I borrow RD's most clever abbreviation? YMMV

I never saw this before. Its a geographic profile for the POI/Abductor. Jennifer Kesse Geographical Profile - Dr. Maurice Godwin
Yeah, that's interesting-<modsnip>

Because of the way Jennifer lived her life and the extreme measures she took to protect her personal safety, I will be surprised if someday we learn that Jennifer was a victim of a serial killer; or a suspected serial killer.

However, with that being said, I know there is or was a connection between Jennifer and Hataway. Mr. Kesse confirmed it, and then backtracked on it--as has become normal. Oh, well.

It is what it is.

Where is Jennifer Joyce Kesse? It's been 12 years and counting. Jennifer deserves to come home. Jennifer deserves to rest with her family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I didn't know Jenn lived in that area before Mosaic?

I saw the ID on Ocasio, and the surveilance video. He was actually talking with another girl there before Tracy pushed her away from him. That other girl was probably his target that night? Tracy then gave him that fateful ride home.

No, not Tracy, Hataway had the tattoos, possibly from the same artist as Jenn's shamrock. OPD suspected that this could have been the connection between Jenn and Hataway?

The ID episode said he cleared away vegetation from lake/pond shore lines. He had an area he used to discard this waste and that's where police found one of Tracy's boots.
This guy fits the profile. There's no crime scene, no blood, no body, I mean if he didn't have anything to do with abducting Jenn I would be very surprised. If so then there's no chance in hell we're going to find Tracy or Jenn. He was a local who knew the territory and how to make a body disappear. Police suspected his friend (Hutto) knew something but later cleared him as even knowing Hataway (nothing in phone records).

Tara's case was similar in that her body was never found--of course we now know her assailant (Ryan Duke-a student of Tara's) burned her up in his fire pit. Someone helped him do it and he told his friend who gave the tip to police.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard that Jenn smoked weed? I mean I'm sure Hataway did and so if true this could be a connection?
BBM - Now, that's something I never heard before. It's common knowledge that she liked a social drink and enjoyed going out to the night clubs; but never alone.

Back to maybe smoking weed--Jennifer's father had some of her hair tested for drug use and it came back negative, but I'm not sure if marijuana would show up in a hair sample.

(I never saw the special you mentioned about Tracy. Sometimes they are available online. When I get a few minutes again, I'll see if I can find it as I'm interested in seeing it. Thanks).

Do we think LE arr holding any details back re the boot of the car ? Also the dirt and mud on the vehicle.
Yes, they likely are holding back details like the ones you mention. But, if it's true that the car is not in a police impound lot then it doesn't really matter.

BBM - Now, that's something I never heard before. It's common knowledge that she liked a social drink and enjoyed going out to the night clubs; but never alone.

Back to maybe smoking weed--Jennifer's father had some of her hair tested for drug use and it came back negative, but I'm not sure if marijuana would show up in a hair sample.

(I never saw the special you mentioned about Tracy. Sometimes they are available online. When I get a few minutes again, I'll see if I can find it as I'm interested in seeing it. Thanks).

Yes, pot would show up on a hair sample, unless the user had not used it for 90 days. My friend's kids in a private HS here are routinely tested. Pot's legal here, but only for over 18 year olds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member